You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CylonRed

Heard a new excuse for YOLO'ing...

58 comments in this topic

Members
6,892 posts
14,881 battles

in a DD last night....

Person got a "Passive play ban" for 2 weeks and therefore they will YOLO in their DD every day.  They had no answer for why this is not used against chronic AFK folks.

[WOLFD]
Members
4,011 posts
6,449 battles

I was in that same game, or the same guy was doing it in multiple games.

He wouldn't offer any info on it, just that he had proof in a ticket. Told him to post it on the forums. He declined, repeatedly.

I just blacklisted him and moved on. Just a fool looking for an excuse to troll. You don't get two week ban for playing passively. If you did half the BB players in the game would be constantly under a 2 week ban.

Edited by Harathan
  • Cool 2

[WOLFD]
Members
4,011 posts
6,449 battles
2 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

image.jpeg.9f952a091e034bb5ed0391dd431d085d.jpeg

How does one get a ban for passive play?

You don't, the guy was full of crap.

[STRM]
Beta Testers
650 posts
2 minutes ago, Harathan said:

You don't, the guy was full of crap.

Yeah, because WG never does anything wrong, or silly, or just plain lies. Never. :Smile_child:

I once got a chat ban because... reasons? I haven't said ANYTHING in coop or randoms in weeks except "well done" or something similar. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[CUDA]
Members
1,451 posts
13,969 battles

It'd be interesting to try, play the entire game without hitting the W or S button and see if you get banned. You'd have to have a ship with a decent gun range (at first).

[WHS]
Beta Testers
1,073 posts
14,320 battles
4 minutes ago, Fighter835 said:

Yeah, because WG never does anything wrong, or silly, or just plain lies. Never. :Smile_child:

I once got a chat ban because... reasons? I haven't said ANYTHING in coop or randoms in weeks except "well done" or something similar. 

Probably was automated. People have started reporting people for chat rather than just "plays poorly" because it seems it can actually have consequences. You could always contest it. 

[WOLFD]
Members
4,011 posts
6,449 battles
2 minutes ago, Fighter835 said:

There's a rule about misbehavior in chat. Whether you broke that rule or not isn't the point; the rule exists.

There is no rule about "passive play"

[CO-OP]
Members
5,206 posts
43,379 battles
1 minute ago, Swervenkill said:

It'd be interesting to try, play the entire game without hitting the W or S button and see if you get banned. You'd have to have a ship with a decent gun range (at first).

Actually had a game like that.  Was a strange connection issue where none of the keyboard commands worked, but I was able to get the mouse to work.  So, I sat motionless only able to swing and fire my guns (couldn't even change the ammo to AP.)

[STRM]
Beta Testers
650 posts
1 minute ago, TheBlackWind said:

Probably was automated. People have started reporting people for chat rather than just "plays poorly" because it seems it can actually have consequences. You could always contest it. 

I didn't care enough. I turned off chat in randoms and moved on. 

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,808 posts
20,779 battles
1 minute ago, TheBlackWind said:

if it was automated, that would mean he literally hit battle and then did nothing.

If he was reported for 'chat' he wouldn't even be able to say anything as a chat violation would ban him from using chat for a period of a day or two to longer depending on how much of a record he has.

[STRM]
Beta Testers
650 posts
1 minute ago, Harathan said:

There's a rule about misbehavior in chat. Whether you broke that rule or not isn't the point; the rule exists.

There is a rule against botting. I wouldn't be surprised if someone reported the DD fella for botting and WG actually banned him without really looking at his gameplay carefully. Like I said, WG never, ever makes mistakes, they never lie, and never deceive the player base. 

• Boring 1

[CO-OP]
Members
5,206 posts
43,379 battles
Just now, Swervenkill said:

I wonder if AFK translated to passive play from a different language

I was thinking along the same lines, that he got banned for being AFK (even though he may have actually been in the battle.)

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,400 posts
3 minutes ago, Harathan said:

Actually, if you get disconnected due to WG's epileptic hamster server and code written by same, if you do not get logged back in in time you get punished for passive play, as WG is far more interested in punishing you than in fixing their stuff.

[WOLFD]
Members
4,011 posts
6,449 battles
Just now, Fighter835 said:

There is a rule against botting. I wouldn't be surprised if someone reported the DD fella for botting and WG actually banned him without really looking at his gameplay carefully. Like I said, WG never, ever makes mistakes, they never lie, and never deceive the player base. 

Nope. That wasn't his claim. I was in the game with him and talked to him about this. His claim, explicitly, was that a WG rep had emailed him (he insisted there was a ticket for it) to tell him that he'd been banned for 2 weeks for playing too passively.

Not botting, not chatting, not anything else. He was claiming that the email, written by a WG rep, specifically said that the two week ban was for playing too passively.

[WOLFD]
Members
4,011 posts
6,449 battles
3 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

Actually, if you get disconnected due to WG's epileptic hamster server and code written by same, if you do not get logged back in in time you get punished for passive play, as WG is far more interested in punishing you than in fixing their stuff.

That's a fair point but how much would you have to be AFK to get a two-week ban? And he apparently had no connections issues the other night when he was doing his YOLO trolling.

Edited by Harathan

[STRM]
Beta Testers
650 posts
1 minute ago, Harathan said:

Nope. That wasn't his claim. I was in the game with him and talked to him about this. His claim, explicitly, was that a WG rep had emailed him (he insisted there was a ticket for it) to tell him that he'd been banned for 2 weeks for playing too passively.

Not botting, not chatting, not anything else. He was claiming that the email, written by a WG rep, specifically said that the two week ban was for playing too passively.

I once got THREE different answers to the same question from WG support. I wouldn't be surprised if a WG rep banned him for botting and told him something like the above. There is a language barrier after all, and the Russians that speak better English can find better paying jobs than WG. I have no idea if the DD guy was lying or not, but I don't think it's fair to automatically assume he was. WG, as a company, is not knows for honesty. 

[WOLFD]
Members
4,011 posts
6,449 battles
8 minutes ago, Fighter835 said:

WG, as a company, is not knows for honesty. 

That's absolutely a given.

But it's equally true that there's a demographic of WoWs players who think hyperbolic claims are a preferable way to communicate.

Besides, given that it's clear that this particular DD player was doing this repeatedly, I'm having a hard time having any sympathy for him. Deliberately trolling your own team game after game is not a way to convince anyone that you're not the problem.

Edited by Harathan
  • Cool 2

[STRM]
Beta Testers
650 posts
5 minutes ago, Harathan said:

That's absolutely a given.

But it's equally true that there's a demographic of WoWs players who think hyperbolic claims are a preferable way to communicate.

Besides, given that it's clear that this particular DD player was doing this repeatedly, I'm having a hard time having any sympathy for him. Deliberately trolling your own team game after game is not a way to convince anyone that you're not the problem.

Hard to disagree with that.:cap_like:

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,400 posts
12 minutes ago, Harathan said:

That's a fair point but how much would you have to be AFK to get a two-week ban? And he apparently had no connections issues the other night when he was doing his YOLO trolling.

Don't get me wrong, I do not believe for a second the guy got a 2 week penalty for passive play, escpecially since it goes by number of games, not days, I was just pointing out that WG does penalize players for what they call passive play. They have a punishment for everything because you would not want to treat the people who pay your salary like something other than dirt.

[STRM]
Beta Testers
650 posts
5 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

Don't get me wrong, I do not believe for a second the guy got a 2 week penalty for passive play, escpecially since it goes by number of games, not days, I was just pointing out that WG does penalize players for what they call passive play. They have a punishment for everything because you would not want to treat the people who pay your salary like something other than dirt.

You can absolutely get banned for X number of days. Chat bans are in days, bans for afking/botting can be in days/weeks as well. 

[WOLFD]
Members
4,011 posts
6,449 battles
7 minutes ago, Fighter835 said:

You can absolutely get banned for X number of days. Chat bans are in days, bans for afking/botting can be in days/weeks as well. 

I think he meant passive play normally gets penalised per number of games. I.E if you go pink for repeatedly AFKing, you get a notice saying you're being penalised for X number of games. Actual bans are done in terms of X number of days, sure.

Hence the huge questions marks and doubts over the guys claims. His refusal to post his proof on the forum for folks to see and insistence that he was just going to YOLO game after game was proof enough to me that he was full of crap.

I mean, at one point he typed a random string of numbers into chat, told me that was the ticket number and that I should post the ticket on the forum. That's not the behavior of someone making a credible claim.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,973 posts
13,731 battles
27 minutes ago, Harathan said:

Sort of, there's automatic detection for inactivity and what I can best call "useless play" where someone makes no effort to attack the other team.

I guess if you do it enough you could earn an actual ban. WG is fairly lenient, so for someone to earn a two week ban, they were really doing something, and there has probably been more warnings, ect... before he got said two week ban.

Sounds like a troll anyway, both before his supposed ban, and afterwards. You have to work hard to earn something like that, if he in fact earned it.

[CREDO]
Members
2,457 posts
9,234 battles

i was once penalized 9 AFK days for passive chat ghosting.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5