You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Rocket Assist Takeoff

7 comments in this topic

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

For those who don't know, Pobeda has slow planes.  WG gave 'em rocket assisted takeoff to help out a bit.  I grabbed this pic as I had planes taking off just as the game ended.

shot-22_01.31_23_40.00-0966.thumb.jpg.e2c5018dffe0776b87a4fae793bea687.jpg

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles

All the RUCVs have that, I think.

I used to be a KC-130 maintainer back in the 1990s for the US Marines, we had them but under a different name, JATO / Jet Assisted Take Off.  During my time on Carriers in the early 2000s (F/A-18 Hornets) I didn't see any aircraft that required JATO bottles for use.

Not a US Marine KC-130 below, but it shows them being used.

Even for the USMC's KC-130s we rarely used them.  When I was stationed in MCAS El Toro, California (VMGR-352 Raiders), the only time our squadron used them was for the annual airshow the base held.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,973 posts
13,731 battles
4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I used to be a KC-130 maintainer back in the 1990s for the US Marines, we had them but under a different name, JATO / Jet Assisted Take Off.  During my time on Carriers in the early 2000s (F/A-18 Hornets) I didn't see any aircraft that required JATO bottles for use.

Even for the USMC's KC-130s we rarely used them.  When I was stationed in MCAS El Toro, California (VMGR-352 Raiders), the only time our squadron used them was for the annual airshow the base held.

I'm pretty sure the only navy to seriously look at RATO or JATO for carrier use were the Japanese, and they figured out it was probably a bad idea for multiple reasons. I'm not sure they ever tested it.

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,797 posts
20,735 battles
5 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I knew they were planning to be used in Operation Eagle Claw (there is a video of a C-130 with JATO thrust reversers crashing on a hard landing that was supposed to be used for this).

And of course, the US Blue Angel's 'Fat Albert', manned by Marines, routinely used them during airshows. Sadly, this has ended as the JATO supply has become non existent.

[TF16B]
[TF16B]
Members
323 posts
20,396 battles

I believe the Thunderbirds C130 (Fat Albert) still uses rocket assist for takeoff?

Members
192 posts
16,383 battles
35 minutes ago, ole_seabee said:

I believe the Thunderbirds C130 (Fat Albert) still uses rocket assist for takeoff?

Pretty sure it does - but its more for show than anything else.  Very cool to see though :)