Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Count_pott

Myoko in 2022

10 comments in this topic

Members
152 posts
2,204 battles

I am really struggling with Myoko.

On paper she's ok at T7. Good health. Great concealment. That's at T7.

In practice, that health evaporates as soon as there's overmatch. That concealment means nothing vs. enemy DDs or even some other cruisers at higher tiers. Her range isn't great and any BBs can take shots at her from complete impunity.

Her torpedoes are useless. I don't want to broadside. So I cannot use them.

Her guns seem ok but I also struggle to do damage. I hit a Gneisenau with HE in the super just now, and got 6 shatters. Hit a broadside Zieten with AP and got 8 overpens. Now this isn't Myoko's fault. It can happen to any boat/player. But with her slow reload and tricky torp angles, that means her ability to do damage is limited.

What's left. HE spamming. Why in the world would I play Myoko over Yorck or Algerie? (I WOULD prefer Myoko over New Orleans...so there's that).

Worse is, her range isn't that bad. Hell DM has 15.8, 200m better, and it's not like DM is unplayable. Ditto her guns, with good damage.

But somehow, I find it extremely unpleasant to play.

10 games. 20% win-rate. Damage is roughly on par with server. Kill/game is better than server (my own win-rate is 50%, so fairly middle of the road. At T7 it's 43%. Over 50% at both T6 and T8. So hey, maybe there's the issue eh).

How do you folks make this grind more pleasant?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLFC]
Members
6,102 posts
17,241 battles
31 minutes ago, Count_pott said:

Her torpedoes are useless. I don't want to broadside. So I cannot use them.

Outside of Furutaka and the premium Atago (plus her clones), you should really only be using the torpedoes on IJN CAs while kiting (which you should be doing a lot of anyways). The number one cause of early death among IJN cruiser captains is showing broadside in front of a BB or CA while trying to get the torpedoes off. These good rearward firing angles and their long range means you can often score hits on targets pursuing you from more than 10km.

Her guns seem ok but I also struggle to do damage. I hit a Gneisenau with HE in the super just now, and got 6 shatters

You missed the superstructure and hit either the turrets or the 50mm deck. Myoko’s 203mm HE has 33mm of penetration. This is more than enough to pen the superstructure and extremity plating of any BB in the game.

What's left. HE spamming. Why in the world would I play Myoko over Yorck or Algerie? (I WOULD prefer Myoko over New Orleans...so there's that).

Myoko, like all IJN cruisers with 203mm guns, has DD dispersion vs. standard cruiser dispersion. With practice, you can very precisely place shots, and this dispersion combined with her very powerful HE shells makes her incredibly dangerous to DDs. That same dispersion makes her AP a very potent weapon against enemy cruisers that show broadside. You should definitely grab the Gun Feeder skill.

Myoko’s armor is actually pretty solid when angled correctly and kiting, which is how you should primarily play her early in matches. Her concealment is good for a T7 cruiser, which helps a lot when things get too hot and you need to stop firing and go dark. Kite and fire HE, using the AP on targets of opportunity. Once the battle has developed and you have a better idea of where the red DDs and BBs are and how they can threaten you, you can begin to play more aggressively. Her play style isn’t really a departure from Aoba, so the same tactics that you used for her predecessor should serve you well. 

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 3

Members
152 posts
2,204 battles

Kiting... that's interesting, it's one style of play I've never really used. I tend to face forward unless capping. I find the 'butt up, long-range spam' style boring and tend to avoid it.

I tend to shoot mostly AP. I use HE on DDs or angled targets. I will say one thing for Myoko: she's a citadel machine. Most of the issue is, few players these days broadside with abandon :) Since I rarely use HE I've not prioritized gun-feeder, but that's coming soon (I'm on 13pts only right now). The reason I compared her to Algerie and Yorck is that both have range. And when downtiered, range is critical. Myoko does not have this crutch. She cannot be a second line cruiser. She has to bid her time and hope a CV or DD doesn't spot her. She leaves little in control of her player. Which is what really bugs me...

My style in cruisers is to stay. I try to not rush (typically quarter or half speed) at the beginning. I find islands to avoid a DD sneaking up on me. The longer I stay alive, the more power I have.

But at T7, in T9 games, the longer I stay alive, the more likelihood that the few enemies left are CVs and BBs... and that's what brings the hurt.

I guess my issue is with being bottom tier. Not was much with Myoko. Still, I find other ships uptier better.

Edited by Count_pott

[RLGN]
Members
19,148 posts
35,185 battles
53 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Myoko, like all IJN cruisers with 203mm guns, has DD dispersion vs. standard cruiser dispersion. With practice, you can very precisely place shots, and this dispersion combined with her very powerful HE shells makes her incredibly dangerous to DDs. That same dispersion makes her AP a very potent weapon against enemy cruisers that show broadside. You should definitely grab the Gun Feeder skill.

Presuming she also has this; this is what makes Tone so dangerous.

Not her sluggish reloading planes, but that all her guns are forward. This tends to makes her shots cluster together, instead of doing some weird crossover because of firing from the ends of the ship.

(Long Hood is long is infamous for this; Kongo as well.)

• Cool 1

Members
3,357 posts
3,059 battles
41 minutes ago, Count_pott said:

Kiting... that's interesting, it's one style of play I've never really used. I tend to face forward unless capping. I find the 'butt up, long-range spam' style boring and tend to avoid it.

You should've avoided the heavy junyokan if you don't want to kite. If you find kiting boring there is really no reason to play Myoko in the first place; notice that 4 of her 5 turrets have good rearward-facing arcs.

[WOLFC]
Members
6,102 posts
17,241 battles
8 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Presuming she also has this; this is what makes Tone so dangerous.

It’s a characteristic of all IJN CAs with 203mm guns, so yes. This flavor was carried over to IJN CBs as well: the 310mm guns on Azuma and Yoshino have improved dispersion relative to most of their contemporaries. The only CBs with better dispersion are Siegfried and the WIP Sevastopol (both have standard CA/CL dispersion).

Mogami actually has the distinction of being the only ship in the game with two different main battery dispersion curves. The 155mm guns have standard CL/CA dispersion, while the 203mm guns have the improved (DD) dispersion.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 2

[WAMMY]
Members
2,811 posts
17,406 battles

Hey

Myoko is still a very good T7 cruiser, just stick with it and it will prove itself.  The torps can be used but make sure you are undetected first and then plan your turn ahead of time, since the torps angles do sucks; the AP is decent on other cruisers if you have their broadside, don't think it can only shoot HE.   Just hang in there, it's a good boat.

Pete

Members
152 posts
2,204 battles

I have the opposite issue, using mostly AP and perhaps negating taking advantage of my fire-starting abilities :)

In-general, I know my angles and shoot AP whenever I have them. HE is the exception ammo. But in World of Farming, the metal is indeed strongly on HE spam at longer ranges so... I'm missing out on that.

[WPORT]
Members
20,735 posts
22,656 battles

I enjoy sailing the Myoko (and her Arpeggio of Blue Steel Sisters) in Scenario Operation Narai.
She's a decent ' Bote in Co-op.

Her torpedo-launching arcs are terrible for aggressive play, but are okay for "kiting", or leaving a suprise ambush of torpedo-soup for a ship that pokes around an island.
Her torpedo wardheads pack a wallop, and she has plenty of them to deliver to targets up to 10 km away.

Learning to time the Myoko's maneuvers during the reloads of opposing battleships helps.  She has to protect her broadside.

The Myoko can deliver punishing salvos to unwary cruisers and DD's.  

The Myoko is a perhaps an "acquired taste", but she does reward comptent game-play.

• Cool 1

[RRN]
Members
640 posts
3,950 battles

Maybe you are on your "down" streak for the ship? It is a random game after all, after hundreds of battles it will even out but not after 10-40. 

Myoko can use her torpedoes offensively. Use islands and bait shots. 

The concealment is not perfect the Ibuki, Mogami, Atago, and Tone all have better but Myoko's is still quite usable. Use it to ambush cruisers with ap, and battleships with torps. 

Her strength is spike damage. She has 10 barrels of MCG, vs the usual 6-9 for CAs in t5-8. Also the torps hit hard and she got 12 vs 8 for the Aoba. 

Sign in to follow this