Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CrusaderOfRighteousness

Where to Aim for Bow Citadel Hits

7 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
195 posts
5,380 battles

I would like to start taking more advantage of the overmatch mechanic but am not sure how.  In cases where you can overmatch a cruiser or battleship's bow armor with your AP rounds, and the target ship is coming straight for you at a 0 degree angle, where on the bow should you aim vertically?  The top tip of the bow, the waterline at the base of the bow, or the vertical dead center between top and bottom?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
900
[META_]
Members
1,963 posts
23,082 battles
5 minutes ago, CrusaderOfRighteousness said:

I would like to start taking more advantage of the overmatch mechanic but am not sure how.  In cases where you can overmatch a cruiser or battleship's bow armor with your AP rounds, and the target ship is coming straight for you at a 0 degree angle, where on the bow should you aim vertically?  The top tip of the bow, the waterline at the base of the bow, or the vertical dead center between top and bottom?

A few things to consider... Their distance, time she's take to arrive..... After taking them into account you're trying to aim at the water right before the bow as in you're aiming where they will be when the shell arrives... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,009
[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,512 posts
26,920 battles

If using AP I try to aim for the lower part of the super structure if they are bow on.

Like just going for pen damage, not so much a citadel.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
195 posts
5,380 battles
1 hour ago, Meta_Man said:

A few things to consider... Their distance, time she's take to arrive..... After taking them into account you're trying to aim at the water right before the bow as in you're aiming where they will be when the shell arrives... 

I get that, but what part of the bow do you want the shells to impact?  Around the waterline, in the middle, or towards the top, just below the superstructure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,790
[-THG-]
Members
2,644 posts
8,035 battles
1 minute ago, CrusaderOfRighteousness said:

I get that, but what part of the bow do you want the shells to impact?  Around the waterline, in the middle, or towards the top, just below the superstructure?

there is no general rules for that.

First: you need to know the armor layout of the ship you are shooting at. Many ships have ice breakers or extended belt that will requires you to aim higher and forget the capacity to citadel the ship. A ship like Hipper have an extended belt forward, leaving a smaller area to hit and get to the citadel, which make such hit unreliable.

Second: know your shell. Short fuse shell like on the British bb will not explode deep enough to grant you with such citadel.

Lastly: do not go for it. Many ships have hidden plate that WG do not show but made them impossible to citadel from the bow and stern (especially on the newer lines), so you are better to go for reliability (aiming higher to counter the dispersion and go for normal pen) instead of trying to go for the ''dev strike''.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
480
[WHARF]
Members
848 posts
22,508 battles
2 hours ago, CrusaderOfRighteousness said:

I would like to start taking more advantage of the overmatch mechanic but am not sure how.  In cases where you can overmatch a cruiser or battleship's bow armor with your AP rounds, and the target ship is coming straight for you at a 0 degree angle, where on the bow should you aim vertically?  The top tip of the bow, the waterline at the base of the bow, or the vertical dead center between top and bottom?

So. if you looked at your ships with the armor showing...will give you an idea where at least to shoot at the same type of ship...generally...under the turrets is always a good spot..i find...happy hunting

 

 

Edited by dadeoo
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
265
Members
404 posts
11,527 battles
1 hour ago, CrusaderOfRighteousness said:

I get that, but what part of the bow do you want the shells to impact?  Around the waterline, in the middle, or towards the top, just below the superstructure?

If you have the right kind of shell (i.e. not a short fuse) and are shooting at the right kind of target (i.e. something without hidden armor plates), then you want your shells to hit just above the waterline in most cases. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×