Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ducky_shot

When to send torps when there is pretty much nothing to torp

11 comments in this topic

[BONKZ]
Privateers
8,023 posts
21,284 battles

I was in a game where I had a brief chance to send torps that had a very low chance of hitting anything, but that chance was a lot higher than just holding my torps for a better target. Hope this is of some help to people.

and if the embed doesn't work: https://youtu.be/8JA5wGLoVls

• Thanks 1

[O_O]
Members
7,895 posts
22,076 battles

We haven't had new maps in quite a while.  We have played both sides of every map multiple times.  We know where the enemy will likely approach any given cap, because we have done the same countless times.  Therefore, it becomes almost comically easy to predict where the reds will be and to send torpedoes to those areas.  The results may not be devastating, but any completely blind torpedo hit is a win.

[WGPB]
Members
816 posts

I just did that on Epicentre. Launched some of those fine Italian sea mines where EVERYBODY goes and proceeded on to other things. Short while later, dev strike on UK DD from torps! It's better than not using them at all. If nothing else it's area denial.

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

I do a great deal of torp shooting in randoms. Usually longer ranged ones. They are essentially a harrassment tool. Sometimes get a kill or even a dev. It really disrupts them. Gives me time to displace and not be down that particular bearing anymore. Enemy thinks I am this way where the torps come from and I am already working around.

So Scatter the torps where you think they will do the most good. Usually in known high traffic murderholes in the maps. Torps arrive when the ships think coast is clear? ZMG! TORPS!!!!

Maybe even force them to turn radically showing broadside to someone. BLAP!

When Subs are in the game with the homing etc, I keep a teammate between me and it. The Teammate is a meat shield for me. So thats a wrinkle in the meta. It evolves.

[ARGSY]
Members
31,078 posts
29,316 battles

Very nice. Thanks for the food for thought.

The best thing about this is that you no longer have to worry about fragging one or more of your own with speculative torp shots, especially with ships like 20km Shima or Asashio/B.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Very nice. Thanks for the food for thought.

The best thing about this is that you no longer have to worry about fragging one or more of your own with speculative torp shots, especially with ships like 20km Shima or Asashio/B.

I dont worry about it anymore.

They run into it? Oh well. Serves them right. Eyes up. Always.

When your ship suffers damage or noises from other teammates you are either in the way and holding them up or intercepting firepower you know damn well is going to the enemy for the overall victory you should have. But you risk throwing that away with your ineptitude.

Its amazing all those Marines got through house to house in crowded Fallujah without fragging each other.

Edited by xHeavy

[ARGSY]
Members
31,078 posts
29,316 battles
2 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

Its amazing all those Marines got through house to house in crowded Fallujah without fragging each other.

I know what you mean, but  IMHO the tactical situation and the level of communication available (and trust in each other's communication) make the situations not directly comparable. 

[PHD]
Members
2,236 posts
10,021 battles

This may be why WG is nerfing IJN torpedoes with high detection ranges. 2.5 km makes them easy to spot. It sometimes is "balanced " by higher speeds to reduce reaction time. But only for the targeted ship, or the one in their path. The torps are easy for other ships to spot for the target giving them even more time to evade. 

I wonder if that is why Asashio was removed from the Armory. 

[ARGSY]
Members
31,078 posts
29,316 battles
44 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

I wonder if that is why Asashio was removed from the Armory. 

Asashio is one of those ships that seems to be either a huge asset for their team in the hands of a player who knows what they're doing or a huge liability in the hands of one who doesn't. There's very little middle ground. In that sense she's unbalanced - not broken/OP, just unbalanced, which is maybe why WG sees fit to make her available for a limited period every year as the B version in the Black Friday events rather than pulling her entirely.

The problem with removing her is that it leaves Japan with no reasonable directly obtainable premium DD at all. Tachibana/Lima is ultra low tier to a point where she's considered a seal-clubber, she is unrepresentative of higher tier play (never faces carriers, never faces radar) and she cannot run events; Yudachi is infrequently available and is widely regarded (not without reason) as inferior to her tech-tree cousin (Shiratsuyu), despite nominally restoring what Shira used to have (simultaneous TRB and smoke); AL Yukikaze and HSF Harekaze are only intermittently and unpredictably available (though the latter is probably the best mid-high tier premium IJN destroyer ever), the Kamikaze sisters are banned beyond reach (despite the fact that Minekaze used to be MORE powerful than them); the Tier 6 Shinonome is locked behind a campaign needing significant amounts of Tier 8-plus play, and the Hayate at Tier 10 is nominally free, but is ridiculously expensive in terms of FXP and requires you to be absolutely sure about what she is and why you want her before committing those resources. It's to the point where I feel like the best thing WG could do is premium-ize the Mutsuki or Fubuki as she is right now, with no extra changes, and stick her in as a coal premium to give the IJN something in coal at that MM bracket.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[PHD]
Members
2,236 posts
10,021 battles
22 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

the Tier 6 Shinonome is locked behind a campaign needing significant amounts of Tier 8-plus play, and the Hayate at Tier 10 is nominally free, but is ridiculously expensive in terms of FXP and requires you to be absolutely sure about what she is and why you want her before committing those resources. It's to the point where I feel like the best thing WG could do is premium-ize the Mutsuki or Fubuki as she is right now, with no extra changes, and stick her in as a coal premium to give the IJN something in coal at that MM bracket.

The Shinonome, if I remember,  also requires Random play the earn.

The Hayate seems like a Kagero on steroids. The Asashio has to get creative when in a no BB match. But , as I have said before, it seems to be the historical definition of an IJN DD in the game. I guess that was a problem having a ship that can be a challenge to play that is easy to aquire. (That seems to be a theme in premium ships, at least the ones I have an interest)

I got the Yuudachi in a Santa Crate in 2020. It is disappointing. I think part of it is the long detection range of the torpedoes. It seems WG decided to run high detection ranges but to balance that it makes them faster so the reaction time is the same. But I think the error of that logic is they are easier for other ships (not the target) to spot giving extra warning time.

The Harekaze II is interesting with just three German 150mm guns and hydro that makes it an IJN KM crossbreed. 

I like the Fubuki. My thought on a mid tier premium would be the Sigure. Perhaps the later version loosing the single 127mm for more AA. (A special captain Hara would be a bonus) WG seems to "balance" IJN torpedoes with long reload times, not a good thing for a ship that relies on torps for damage. 

[ARGSY]
Members
31,078 posts
29,316 battles
7 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

The Hayate seems like a Kagero on steroids.

More like Yugumo on steroids; she has the dual-purpose and relatively long range AA aura that Kagero lacks. 

8 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

The Shinonome, if I remember,  also requires Random play the earn.

Yes it does, and since the missions are all combat-based it's not the easiest to rebalance it for co-op as they did the Yamamoto event (they opened the XP grinds in each mission to co-op).