You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BornInChicago

What's up with this matchmaking?

55 comments in this topic

Members
82 posts

My last 15 matches have looked like this since I switched to playing my carriers.

Is there something about carrier matches that makes this happen? This does not happen when I play destroyers. So why do I constantly land on the weaker team now as a carrier player?

Yes, I am new, but I am a good spotter, yet my teammates just don't do much with the info, do not contest caps, and get deleted eventually.

2022-02-02_10-26-37.jpg

Edited by BornInChicago
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

Members
221 posts
11,670 battles

Carrier role has the biggest impact on the outcome of the game, if you are losing 15 games in a row it seems to me that you are the common denominator. Looking at your stats it looks like you are brand new. I would watch some tutorials on CVs on You Tube, @Ahskance has some excellent tutorials for CVs on his You Tube channel.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
1,872 posts
16 minutes ago, BornInChicago said:

My last 15 matches have looked like this since I switched to playing my carriers.

If you are new, it could be that you just broke through either T5 or 200 matches. At that point you leave preferential MM and are thrown in with the regular people. It can be a steep learning curve.

Plus, huge skill disparities among the general playerbase means lots of blowouts and one-sided games.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Members
82 posts

Memrus, I was expecting that common reply you gave to "why am I always on the weaker team?"

It is automatic in ALL PvP game posts asking "why am I always on the weaker team".

But now,  can someone else explain why my teams do not even try to capture points?  

Lets talk about overall damage stats and matchmaking.

Edited by BornInChicago

[RLGN]
Members
19,117 posts
35,137 battles
9 minutes ago, MemezRus said:

Carrier role has the biggest impact on the outcome of the game, if you are losing 15 games in a row it seems to me that you are the common denominator. Looking at your stats it looks like you are brand new. I would watch some tutorials on CVs on You Tube, @Ahskance has some excellent tutorials for CVs on his You Tube channel.

Not your specific answer, but what it reveals is why the CV rework was such a bloody joke.

We’re basically right back where we were three-plus years ago, with an arguably worse system.

A few killers, a few more that just get by, and the rest everything on down to soggy powdered potatoes.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[PMWC]
Members
247 posts
9,308 battles

this kind of game can happen any moment, if you just start playing. Damage is the first thing to learn. If you can't kill, don't expect your team to.

Members
82 posts
8 minutes ago, weiwaynezhang said:

this kind of game can happen any moment, if you just start playing. Damage is the first thing to learn. If you can't kill, don't expect your team to.

This is about the matchmaking.

Shouldn't SOME of my team be able to cap? Or do they ALL need me to carry them somehow with my planes?

I cannot do it all or be everywhere.

Edited by BornInChicago

Members
82 posts
6 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not your specific answer, but what it reveals is why the CV rework was such a bloody joke.

We’re basically right back where we were three-plus years ago, with an arguably worse system.

A few killers, a few more that just get by, and the rest everything on down to soggy powdered potatoes.

ARE carriers today really THE most important player in a match? Are they supposed to do most of the damage, always?

[PMWC]
Members
247 posts
9,308 battles
1 minute ago, BornInChicago said:

This is about the matchmaking.

Shouldn't SOME of my team be able to cap? Or do they ALL need me to carry them?

I am just saying, you gonna have crap teams, and you gonna have days to lose 10, 15 in a row. when you just start, you should look for improving PR rather than WR. Are you in top three when losing? If not, there is something to learn.

I saw you play T6 and T8 CV without T4 in randoms, that usually a big red flag.

• Cool 2

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,434 battles

Carriers control the flow of battle when they're in a game. A carrier spotting a DD is sufficient to drive most competent DD players away, because they cannot operate safely undetected. If you want your DDs to cap, you need to provide them fighter cover or the ability to see enemy DDs.

• Thanks 1

Members
82 posts
2 minutes ago, weiwaynezhang said:

I am just saying, you gonna have crap teams, and you gonna have days to lose 10, 15 in a row. when you just start, you should look for improving PR rather than WR. Are you in top three when losing? If not, there is something to learn.

I saw you play T6 and T8 CV without T4 in randoms, that usually a big red flag.

I totally agree I need to learn to damage more.

Just wondering why the 15 game streak of non-capping. non damaging teammates.  Usually you get at least one balanced match now and then.

Members
82 posts
6 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

Carriers control the flow of battle when they're in a game. A carrier spotting a DD is sufficient to drive most competent DD players away, because they cannot operate safely undetected. If you want your DDs to cap, you need to provide them fighter cover or the ability to see enemy DDs.

That was the kind of answer I am looking for. THANK YOU.

Any other ways a low damage, good spotting carrier player makes everyone on the team lose their individual battles?

Edited by BornInChicago

Members
221 posts
11,670 battles
2 minutes ago, BornInChicago said:

Just wondering why the 15 game streak of non-capping. non damaging teammates.  Usually you get at least one balanced match now and then.

It's highly improbable that 15 games in a row you got bad team mates, there is the same chance that those players are on the enemy team too. Stop blaming your team and learn from your own mistakes, that is how you will improve. If you always blame your team mates you will never get better at this game. 

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[PMWC]
Members
247 posts
9,308 battles

let's say you win 10 in a row but do no damage, that will make you feel better for sure. But do you feel you contribute to the win? CV is not just about spotting, you can't do damage to ships you spotted, why other ppl should do that?

learn the basics and forget about the WR for now

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,434 battles

That was the kind of answer I am looking for. THANK YOU.

Any other ways a low damage, good spotting carrier player makes everyone on the team lose their individual battles?

The primary destroyers you should support are going to be gun boat destroyers, because they're the ones that can attack the DDs you spot.

Torpedo destroyers typically only need to know if an enemy is nearby, and they're fine to operate alone and torping. Usually attacking the same targets as a torpedo destroyer results in no one getting torpedo hits.

You don't need to keep enemy destroyers spotted, just the threat of spotting is enough to cause many to reduce risk and back off. Early detection of destroyers is a higher priority than farming damage early on. It's easier to get damage as time goes on and enemy team has less AA, so losing planes early for a quick damage is less valuable than providing the right amount of information for a team to act.

• Thanks 1

Members
82 posts
Just now, MemezRus said:

It's highly improbable that 15 games in a row you got bad team mates, there is the same chance that those players are on the enemy team too. Stop blaming your team and learn from your own mistakes, that is how you will improve. If you always blame your team mates you will never get better at this game. 

The problem with your answer is that it is so vague and is just a knee jerk "get gud" answer I have seen a million times on all PvP game forums.

You should explain how a carrier that spots and does medium to low damage makes the entire team do low damage and not cap. 

Members
221 posts
11,670 battles

The problem with your answer is that it is so vague and is just a knee jerk "get gud" answer I have seen a million times on all PvP game forums.

You should explain how a carrier that spots and does medium to low damage makes the entire team do low damage and not cap. 

I gave you a great resource that will teach you how to play effectively in my previous post, there is way too much to type here for me to teach you how to play CV. My responses are not vague, it's that you have it in your head that it's the fault of your team mates and don't want to be proven wrong. 

[NMKJT]
Members
4,272 posts
9,133 battles

Because spotting but low damage means you are shifting the weight of doing damage to teammates. So if enough of them are bad at that, your spotting will be wasted and your influence over the battle's outcome drops dramatically. Every class needs to be able to get damage for itself, CV is no exception.

People say git gud cause that's what you have to do in this game if you want to win even average amounts. That's how bad most of the playerbase is: you can't rely on them for anything.

• Thanks 2

[PMWC]
Members
247 posts
9,308 battles
5 minutes ago, BornInChicago said:

He is not wrong, start with this if you want to learn the game. blaming on MM can help you nothing. but learning can

• Cool 2

[KIA]
Members
39 posts
13,120 battles

"Excellent spotting" isn't enough lol. What makes CVS so powerful is denying the surface ships trying to make the plays on the enemy team. You deny their plays -> higher chance to win. 

Denying their plays means damaging them heavily at the right time of course.

Edited by GunCaster

Members
82 posts
1 minute ago, MemezRus said:

I gave you a great resource that will teach you how to play effectively in my previous post, there is way too much to type here for me to teach you how to play CV. My responses are not vague, it's that you have it in your head that it's the fault of your team mates and don't want to be proven wrong. 

Look, thanks for the link.

But you are making my question something it is not. I am genuinely puzzled how EVERY player on my teams has such low damage. Shouldn't they be able to kill on their own or do they all need me to help them. I spot for them; but I cannot kill everything that is attacking them everywhere on the map.

[SALVO]
Members
803 posts
19,315 battles
Just now, BornInChicago said:

But you are making my question something it is not. I am genuinely puzzled how EVERY player on my teams has such low damage. Shouldn't they be able to kill on their own or do they all need me to help them. I spot for them; but I cannot kill everything that is attacking them everywhere on the map.

The average player struggles to do any meaningful damage in a game.  It is one or two players with an idea how things that work that typically swing a game to one side or the other.  If you want to get better teams, you need to improve the one thing you have control over and that is your play.  If you are coming into this game expecting the other members of your team to actually know what they are doing, you are in for a BIG disappointment.

• Cool 1

[PMWC]
Members
247 posts
9,308 battles

Most of the time, the game is carried by 3 or less players. and the game is ruined by many player doing dumb things. Get use to it, wait till when you can do damage and win games. I have a handful of games that I have Kraken but still lost. it is part of the game. the only thing you can do is improve your PR, then WR will follow.

• Cool 1

[KIA]
Members
39 posts
13,120 battles

In randoms, the average player is quite bad, so yeah you need to help all the time. Pick the enemy targets making the plays (ex. shlieffen pushing hard) and damage them hard to ensure your teammates come out of the battle alive and healthy while the enemy is dead.

• Cool 1