You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Cit_the_bed

My thoughts on the camouflage rework, how it can maintain player happiness while regaining income potential.

15 comments in this topic

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
2,261 posts
26,520 battles

For years world of warships has had generous bonuses in almost all categories. What lured many people from Tanks and warth**der to ships was that the brutal silver bleed was not present in wows.

A history of the economic see-saw:

In the ancient days, a player needed premium time or a permanent camouflage to break even. It was not uncommon to run out of silver, and to have to play lower tiers for several days to make enough to play higher tiers. It took years to progress to T10, and the grind for carriers was especially brutal due to the high expense per game. 

Premium camouflage was a design compromise to get $30 out of a player who would not pay $100 a year for premium, but whom might have a favorite ship. It was not uncommon for someone to push to T10 on one ship line, and never progress on any other line due to the expense and time needed to do so. It was so expensive, my only T10 for two years was Shimakaze, until changes created several XP boosting items in the game. 

Consumable camouflages, signals, achievement rewards, test server rewards, and  first game bonuses were enhanced and added to the game. Camouflages were sold in huge 250 bundles for under $20. Signals could be purchased A La Carte in big stacks for under $10. People bought them by the thousands. Wargaming's traditional reluctance to do any sort of play testing made it possible to farm thousands of camouflages in many of the early events, and PVP events were exploited to farm millions. Premium consumables were removed, ships with three hulls were reduced to two, and ship costs were reduced. This created a huge silver surplus. Additional currencies were added as silver was no longer a functioning game mechanic. Some game and economy breaking ships were added as a carrot-on-a-stick mechanic, while underestimating player tenacity (750,000 fxp? It will take them years!). These ships allowed players to accumulate silver into the billions. 

Gradually, wargaming took actions to get the genie back into the bottle, and began dialing back the amount of rewards. First to get nerfed were the camouflages. Consumable camouflages became unavailable to purchase for a time, and when they returned were available only in small and expensive bundles, or were tied to time sink devices like missions and coal. Doing this reduced the problem, but also limited the income potential of camouflages to nearly zero. Next came the removal of signals for achievements and as a reward for playing on the test server. Eventually the problematic money printer called Missouri was stripped of her economic bonuses and resold, with prior owners receiving a mission that adds a hefty but still lesser economic bonus. Recently Superships have been added to the game; ships that exploit human psychology and are carefully crafted to do one thing: make you buy silver.

The positive possibilities for the camouflage rework:

That said, let's look at a look at a possible camouflage rework. The goal of this rework is probably to open a path for players to burn through stockpiled camouflages they already have, so they spend silver and doubloons replenishing attributes/bonuses. Players with existing permanent camouflages won't be able to resist adding more attributes to their camouflages, and they will eventually deplete their stockpile and buy silver and doubloons. This is not unreasonable, and can be an advantage to players with more resources than they can use.

Let's take a look at the standard -3% detection / -4% dispersion camouflages. We have already seen the stats unification on the type 1,2 and 5 camouflages. These used to have very little value, and people had hundreds if not thousands of them. Wargaming made them sellable, and people sold all their camos, only for them to get buff after buff. The general rule I will put forward at this point is this: do not under any circumstances get fooled into selling your camouflages. If they want you to sell, hold. 

This is a great opportunity to unify all of the camouflages with identical attributes. This will reduce the UI clutter and let the player pick from a pattern group knowing all have the same attributes. On low bonus camouflages, it would be safe to let players fuse these camouflages into better ones for silver or doubloons. For the sake of standardization the new camouflage can't be a sum of the attributes, but if it is demonstrably better than people will overwhelmingly choose to merge their inferior camouflages to make better ones. The difficult part of the rework are the special reward and rare camouflages. If they were stripped of attributes that could be added to any camouflage, it would create game breaking attributes. Imagine if you could combine Pi-day and all the asian camouflages into one camouflage that was a sum of the attributes? 

How this can make wargaming money while preserving existing player happiness?

1. Grandfather all special camouflages with unusual and high numbers of attributes, and make them unobtainable outside of loot boxes (income potential for rare camouflage crates)

2. Sell players attributes they can add to the camouflage they have.

Example: Restless fire, which has only one significant attribute added to it

camo_eco.jpg.c7592c2e6bd4a48a90ba7c78979861fb.jpg

As you can see I have over 300 of these because they suck. If you can add some freexp variables for a bit of silver or some doubloons, it makes them usable again.

Alternatively

3. Allow players to merge camouflages, combining the attributes for free or for silver.

Here we have three rather underwhelming camouflages: Halloween, Restless fire, and Warships anniversary. Combined they would be 200% xp, 100% fxp, and 250% commander xp. That would be a decent camouflage. The player could merge them, while still being able to pick any of the patterns. The player then pays a combination fee or is simply allowed to merge them for free. As you can see, I have 763 camouflages gathering dust, I would much rather have 254 usable camouflages.

image.png.04c379587c124c4a1259f5a3e7257eb1.png

Generating income and player excitement

4. RNG based skins can be made that have random bonus variables.

luckyday.jpg.bde1e8b17194d19a59a6b383e7b72364.jpg

Here we see a reward or loot crate consumable camouflage that has three places of random luck, with the bonus being anywhere from the standard +100% to +999% using standard loot crate odds. Chance can varying from 35% (+100% ) to 0.01% (+999%). It adds some exciting new RNG mechanics to the game. I am pretty sure I would rather get 3 of these rather than 100 AA flags from a super container. Wargaming can monetize while stabilizing the camouflage economy. 

PART 2: The stuff you should buy before the rework happens.

Surprisingly, there's a few economy bashing items left in the game. I'm going to list them so you can pick them up, and prepare for the camopocalypse®

No.1 Kobayashi Camouflages

These camouflages offer solid bonuses, and are were unavailable for ages until they were added to the ship port camouflage tab a bit over a year ago.

image.png.956ff7a500f882e993b6851775f73de4.png

-50% ship costs, +20% credits, and 100% more XP at T8. If they add the ability to transfer variables from other camouflages, this could be a real monster. As it stands, it's already a big income maker;  it's not unusual to make 500k to 700k per game. It costs $30 USD in addition to the price of the Roma itself, so it's best purchased on a ship you plan to play regularly. The other ships that have these bonuses are Kii and Ashitaka. The Yamato Kobayashi camouflage has no attribute advantages over the standard permanent camouflage.

No. 2 National Camouflages

image.png.083b4c790b05ddadb57cd70cf5afb9c5.png

Available for Shinonome, Warspite, and Graf Spee, these camouflages offer a 35% bonus to credits. Shinonome is amazingly still free, and Warspite has special modifiers (+20%) to her heal and repair. Warspite has been power crept a bit, but is still a good ship. Graf Spee doesn't uptier well, but if you play it a lot, it's probably worth it. 

No. 3 Pi Day armory camouflage

image.png.7d8ef195012a5f48434eaa39e13f1126.png

A pretty one dimensional camouflage that might become one of the best if you can combine attributes. I don't see this one surviving the camouflage rework. Unfortunately you need to use coal to get these, but there is a coupon given routinely for a discount. 

4. Special camouflages on ships

image.png.62f8e1de948ab81565682614cc9758b2.png 

Anshan has a +100% FXP modifier on her camouflage which also carries over to the lunar camouflage.

image.png.d8d4b0ca1a47d10aba67d47a5f1e6555.png

Prinz Eugen - Adler has a +10% credit bonus, plus a badass eagle. It used to be an expensive camouflage, as it was the first special bonus premium ship camo. Is it worth the money for +10%? Probably not, but the eagle sure is cool.

image.png.01d36a7cc72af956a180fd9c5183eb14.png

USS Black camouflage. A big 150% bonus to xp, captain xp, and fxp. The original grind of death to get this went away, and it was replaced by ten ranked tokens. There is a similar camouflage for Flint with 100% attributes, however flint is in a bad state and not worth thinking about. Only get this is you have tokens to burn.

Summary, conclusion.

As the game enters it's 6th year, it's clear the developers feel income is insufficient, and vast changes are going to be made. This is just the start, and I expect much of what we know to be changed substantially. 2022 into 2023 will be a "make it or break it" move for wows, and it's probably one of the few moves it has remaining. The submarine introduction has fizzled and is a multi-million disaster. It's clear wargaming are shifting hard and fast to superships, as they are popular and the players importantly have taken to the idea of them. Those with money will pay anyway, so why sell a premium ship and get money once when you can get $5 every week by milking the whales. The free players will have to endure the unbalanced nature of such engagements, because free to play does not mean fair play.

These are the last remnants of the cash grab, "ATM goes brrrr" approach in the game that are still obtainable. The gilded age where they would sell you a camouflage as expensive as the ship itself in exchange for it transforming into the federal reserve. I would highly recommend you get Shinonome, as it's a free ship. The national camouflage for it is well worth the money. After that follows the Roma with her tanky nature, and stupidly hard hitting shells that over penetrate pretty much everything, but just perfectly 👨‍🍳👌 arm on those thicc superships. ATM goes brrrr Giuseppe 💵. Far behind are the Kii and the Ashitaka, with the Ashitaka being notable for being able to farm operations 👨‍🌾🌾.

I wish you all a Chinese New year and good health.

Cit

Edited by Cit_the_bed
  • Cool 4
  • Meh 2

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles

Disclaimer...

The following views are based on observation of multiple forms of WOWS media platforms..The views expressed are from a position of impartiality.. Ultimately, this is the course for the 2022 even if we hate it or agree with it.

I have to disagree with the WG's purpose (definition)for the camo revamp proposal...

We the players, choose a camo because of its purpose *NOT* for how it looks... Any "revamping" will only cause more problems for the long term.

This change in philosophy, is in turn... A change in how WG has operated in the past on the topic. Unfortunately, Its the current direction for the platform.

With so many changes not being for the long term benefit of the platform. It only adds to the conviction for some... The company is not happy with their financial or player WOWS participation position...

It only fuels speculation, the introduction of micro transaction (starting with the camo revamp) is the only way to go, to keep the game viable for the next two years...

To summarize...

For the player... This news of this impending action, will not benefit you in terms of improving conditions in the topic of in-game play... But I do agree with WG that it will make you "look" good in battle with-ever camo you choose.

For the company.. This action is a good "Trojan horse" for more micro transactions (in the pipeline to come)... Dipping the toes first instead of a full belly flop into the controversial topic. I disagree with this... Since I dont work for the company... It curious me to speculate as to the "What forced" them to think this was a good idea.. The answer to that question would fascinate me to no end.

Edited by Navalpride33

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
2,261 posts
26,520 battles

That's a given, it's not to benefit the player, it's to coax money from their pocket. This is the free to play business model.

[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles
1 hour ago, Cit_the_bed said:

That's a given, it's not to benefit the player, it's to coax money from their pocket. This is the free to play business model.

Unless WG forcibly removes camos, (compensated or not,) I have zero intention of combining them.

Not a grinder, not a stats obsessive…

Not as if I never make use of specific camos for their bonuses; but most of the time it’s because that’s the camo I have the most of, or it’s just the one I feel like using.

[XG]
Members
539 posts

My only concern is how this might devalue permanent camos that were cash purchases, either outright buys for tech tree ships or as part of a premium ship purchase.

It's literally been years since I've ponied up any money to WG and Ive probaby gotten my dime's worth of use out of them, but still. Seems like this might get more than a few pairs of skivvies in a bunch.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
31,076 posts
29,316 battles

You know, it all depends on what the fine detail of what they actually do. It's fine to engage in theorycrafting, but too easy to cross over into either wish fulfillment or tinfoil-hatted rage.

[EDEG]
Members
510 posts
14,717 battles
31 minutes ago, Xidax_Gamer said:

My only concern is how this might devalue permanent camos that were cash purchases, either outright buys for tech tree ships or as part of a premium ship purchase.

It's literally been years since I've ponied up any money to WG and Ive probaby gotten my dime's worth of use out of them, but still. Seems like this might get more than a few pairs of skivvies in a bunch.

I can't believe any company would be that foolish. Removing the benefit of something thousands of people spent real money on? That's just begging for a class action suit.

Especially given that they're still marketing and selling perma-camos right now -- nerfing them in a couple months would make current sales tantamount to fraud.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
2,765 posts

As WG changes the game, I both am gratified and disheartened. Gratified that I've only spent about $40 (between 2015AUG and 2016DEC) since I began playing, so I'm not seeing my 'investment' tank. Disheartened that, as my sig says, they're developing the game to death. I am presently just yoloing almost every Random match (in my upper-tiers premium BBs) just for a degree of excitement in play.

• Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[HOP4S]
Members
6,995 posts
35,446 battles
7 hours ago, Cit_the_bed said:

For years world of warships has had generous bonuses in almost all categories. What lured many people from Tanks and warth**der to ships was that the brutal silver bleed was not present in wows.

Alternatively

Available for Shinonome, Warspite, and Graf Spee, these camouflages offer a 35% bonus to credits. Shinonome is amazingly still free, and Warspite has special modifiers (+20%) to her heal and repair. Warspite has been power crept a bit, but is still a good ship. Graf Spee doesn't uptier well, but if you play it a lot, it's probably worth it. 

Summary, conclusion.

As the game enters it's 6th year, it's clear the developers feel income is insufficient, and vast changes are going to be made. This is just the start, and I expect much of what we know to be changed substantially. 2022 into 2023 will be a "make it or break it" move for wows, and it's probably one of the few moves it has remaining. The submarine introduction has fizzled and is a multi-million disaster. It's clear wargaming are shifting hard and fast to superships, as they are popular and the players importantly have taken to the idea of them. Those with money will pay anyway, so why sell a premium ship and get money once when you can get $5 every week by milking the whales. The free players will have to endure the unbalanced nature of such engagements, because free to play does not mean fair play.

These are the last remnants of the cash grab, "ATM goes brrrr" approach in the game that are still obtainable. The gilded age where they would sell you a camouflage as expensive as the ship itself in exchange for it transforming into the federal reserve. I would highly recommend you get Shinonome, as it's a free ship. The national camouflage for it is well worth the money. After that follows the Roma with her tanky nature, and stupidly hard hitting shells that over penetrate pretty much everything, but just perfectly 👨‍🍳👌 arm on those thicc superships. ATM goes brrrr Giuseppe 💵. Far behind are the Kii and the Ashitaka, with the Ashitaka being notable for being able to farm operations 👨‍🌾🌾.

Cit

Well said.

Phase one was the Skill Tree Change that changed the player economy based of "ship capabilities" to make the game "revenue negative" (They changed the "tools"....so you had to play more to earn the same as before...)

Phase two is the "devaluation" of player economic tools:  Camo, Flags, Modules and Upgrades.  To remove everything that enhances earning from the devalued "tools" to insure F2P players leave or convert to Pay-to-Play (P2P) that is the backbone of all eSales paradigm successful games use.....

Phase three is the introduction of "skins" which are micro-transactions.  You won't be able to "earn any real value" unless you spend "x" per game no matter the tier....  Skins (one time purchases) include special flags; special camo enhancements; special module upgrades; and, special CPT skills.........as well said above.

Phase four:  the game stalls, players leave, a dedicate population pay the money and the game lingers on with a frozen population..........some close, some are still around with the same 6,000 players spending everyday. 

It becomes a choice:  spend or leave.         A terrible marketing method IMO........

Members
808 posts

It's a financial decision by WG but they will spin it to look like it's a gift of some sort. It's just another desperate method of squeezing more money from players by forcing many into premium accounts. Unfortunately, this type of sneaky tactics hasn't worked. All they are doing is pissing more of the player base who were spending money on the game.

There was another business model they chose to ignore. Make premium time and ships more affordable to the masses. They would make up the slack by increasing membership and purchases fivefold without having to destroy the game at the same time.  

Edited by CAPT_CORNHOLIO
  • Cool 1

Members
1,147 posts
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You know, it all depends on what the fine detail of what they actually do. It's fine to engage in theorycrafting, but too easy to cross over into either wish fulfillment or tinfoil-hatted rage.

But that is WG's problem, not ours. They are hinting at changes without providing anything that would reassure players and now the lack of trust in them is going to bite them.

[ARGSY]
Members
31,076 posts
29,316 battles
19 minutes ago, tangofan said:

and now the lack of trust in them is going to bite them.

Given where the lack of trust is coming from, that's hardly surprising. Those people were going to rage and scream no matter what happened.

• Meh 1

Members
1,147 posts
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Given where the lack of trust is coming from, that's hardly surprising. Those people were going to rage and scream no matter what happened.

It's very easy to discount the lack of trust as just coming from some querulous players and ignore it. I hope for WG's sake that they don't follow that path. And by "WG" I am not referring to the NA staff (e.g. Boggzy & Ahskance) who in my opinion have worked and are working incredibly hard to (re-)build trust, but to the folks at the corporate office who make those decision about the game.

[ARGSY]
Members
31,076 posts
29,316 battles
27 minutes ago, tangofan said:

It's very easy to discount the lack of trust as just coming from some querulous players

But that's all I see here. The same faces, the same voices, saying retreads of the same thing, over and over again.

I'm over it, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that WG is well aware of this and they're over it too. 

• Meh 3

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
927 posts
19,684 battles
15 hours ago, Cit_the_bed said:

In the ancient days, a player needed premium time or a permanent camouflage to break even. It was not uncommon to run out of silver, and to have to play lower tiers for several days to make enough to play higher tiers. It took years to progress to T10, and the grind for carriers was especially brutal due to the high expense per game. 

Premium camouflage was a design compromise to get $30 out of a player who would not pay $100 a year for premium, but whom might have a favorite ship. It was not uncommon for someone to push to T10 on one ship line, and never progress on any other line due to the expense and time needed to do so. It was so expensive, my only T10 for two years was Shimakaze, until changes created several XP boosting items in the game. 

Consumable camouflages, signals, achievement rewards, test server rewards, and  first game bonuses were enhanced and added to the game. Camouflages were sold in huge 250 bundles for under $20. Signals could be purchased A La Carte in big stacks for under $10. People bought them by the thousands. Wargaming's traditional reluctance to do any sort of play testing made it possible to farm thousands of camouflages in many of the early events, and PVP events were exploited to farm millions. Premium consumables were removed, ships with three hulls were reduced to two, and ship costs were reduced. This created a huge silver surplus. Additional currencies were added as silver was no longer a functioning game mechanic. Some game and economy breaking ships were added as a carrot-on-a-stick mechanic, while underestimating player tenacity (750,000 fxp? It will take them years!). These ships allowed players to accumulate silver into the billions. 

Gradually, wargaming took actions to get the genie back into the bottle, and began dialing back the amount of rewards. First to get nerfed were the camouflages. Consumable camouflages became unavailable to purchase for a time, and when they returned were available only in small and expensive bundles, or were tied to time sink devices like missions and coal. Doing this reduced the problem, but also limited the income potential of camouflages to nearly zero. Next came the removal of signals for achievements and as a reward for playing on the test server. Eventually the problematic money printer called Missouri was stripped of her economic bonuses and resold, with prior owners receiving a mission that adds a hefty but still lesser economic bonus. Recently Superships have been added to the game; ships that exploit human psychology and are carefully crafted to do one thing: make you buy silver.

That said, let's look at a look at a possible camouflage rework. The goal of this rework is probably to open a path for players to burn through stockpiled camouflages they already have, so they spend silver and doubloons replenishing attributes/bonuses. Players with existing permanent camouflages won't be able to resist adding more attributes to their camouflages, and they will eventually deplete their stockpile and buy silver and doubloons. This is not unreasonable, and can be an advantage to players with more resources than they can use.

Let's take a look at the standard -3% detection / -4% dispersion camouflages. We have already seen the stats unification on the type 1,2 and 5 camouflages. These used to have very little value, and people had hundreds if not thousands of them. Wargaming made them sellable, and people sold all their camos, only for them to get buff after buff. The general rule I will put forward at this point is this: do not under any circumstances get fooled into selling your camouflages. If they want you to sell, hold. 

This is a great opportunity to unify all of the camouflages with identical attributes. This will reduce the UI clutter and let the player pick from a pattern group knowing all have the same attributes. On low bonus camouflages, it would be safe to let players fuse these camouflages into better ones for silver or doubloons. For the sake of standardization the new camouflage can't be a sum of the attributes, but if it is demonstrably better than people will overwhelmingly choose to merge their inferior camouflages to make better ones. The difficult part of the rework are the special reward and rare camouflages. If they were stripped of attributes that could be added to any camouflage, it would create game breaking attributes. Imagine if you could combine Pi-day and all the asian camouflages into one camouflage that was a sum of the attributes? 

1. Grandfather all special camouflages with unusual and high numbers of attributes, and make them unobtainable outside of loot boxes (income potential for rare camouflage crates)

2. Sell players attributes they can add to the camouflage they have.

Example: Restless fire, which has only one significant attribute added to it

camo_eco.jpg.c7592c2e6bd4a48a90ba7c78979861fb.jpg

As you can see I have over 300 of these because they suck. If you can add some freexp variables for a bit of silver or some doubloons, it makes them usable again.

Alternatively

3. Allow players to merge camouflages, combining the attributes for free or for silver.

Here we have three rather underwhelming camouflages: Halloween, Restless fire, and Warships anniversary. Combined they would be 200% xp, 100% fxp, and 250% commander xp. That would be a decent camouflage. The player could merge them, while still being able to pick any of the patterns. The player then pays a combination fee or is simply allowed to merge them for free. As you can see, I have 763 camouflages gathering dust, I would much rather have 254 usable camouflages.

image.png.04c379587c124c4a1259f5a3e7257eb1.png

Generating income and player excitement

luckyday.jpg.bde1e8b17194d19a59a6b383e7b72364.jpg

Here we see a reward or loot crate consumable camouflage that has three places of random luck, with the bonus being anywhere from the standard +100% to +999% using standard loot crate odds. Chance can varying from 35% (+100% ) to 0.01% (+999%). It adds some exciting new RNG mechanics to the game. I am pretty sure I would rather get 3 of these rather than 100 AA flags from a super container. Wargaming can monetize while stabilizing the camouflage economy. 

Surprisingly, there's a few economy bashing items left in the game. I'm going to list them so you can pick them up, and prepare for the camopocalypse®

These camouflages offer solid bonuses, and are were unavailable for ages until they were added to the ship port camouflage tab a bit over a year ago.

image.png.956ff7a500f882e993b6851775f73de4.png

-50% ship costs, +20% credits, and 100% more XP at T8. If they add the ability to transfer variables from other camouflages, this could be a real monster. As it stands, it's already a big income maker;  it's not unusual to make 500k to 700k per game. It costs $30 USD in addition to the price of the Roma itself, so it's best purchased on a ship you plan to play regularly. The other ships that have these bonuses are Kii and Ashitaka. The Yamato Kobayashi camouflage has no attribute advantages over the standard permanent camouflage.

image.png.083b4c790b05ddadb57cd70cf5afb9c5.png

image.png.7d8ef195012a5f48434eaa39e13f1126.png

A pretty one dimensional camouflage that might become one of the best if you can combine attributes. I don't see this one surviving the camouflage rework. Unfortunately you need to use coal to get these, but there is a coupon given routinely for a discount. 

image.png.62f8e1de948ab81565682614cc9758b2.png 

Anshan has a +100% FXP modifier on her camouflage which also carries over to the lunar camouflage.

image.png.d8d4b0ca1a47d10aba67d47a5f1e6555.png

Prinz Eugen - Adler has a +10% credit bonus, plus a badass eagle. It used to be an expensive camouflage, as it was the first special bonus premium ship camo. Is it worth the money for +10%? Probably not, but the eagle sure is cool.

image.png.01d36a7cc72af956a180fd9c5183eb14.png

USS Black camouflage. A big 150% bonus to xp, captain xp, and fxp. The original grind of death to get this went away, and it was replaced by ten ranked tokens. There is a similar camouflage for Flint with 100% attributes, however flint is in a bad state and not worth thinking about. Only get this is you have tokens to burn.

Summary, conclusion.

Cit

I don't think WG needs to do anything. They will delete two or more camos PER battle. You will reduce your camos 2x or more faster and be in need to buy more camos. THAT is how they will make money. That's why I stacked up 800 reduced repair signals before WG yanked them. Same with camos, like Pi.