Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
scott_3721

Co-Op Torp Blockers

40 comments in this topic

[HI-CS]
Members
193 posts

I normally don't complain but this is becoming a real issue. Since friendly fire went away there are a growing number of players that intentionally intercept torps, etc. Just earned myself a pink paintjob because some a$$hat kept skating between me and an intended target. I can understand unintentionally getting in the way from time to time (done it myself). But three times in one cap circle versus three different targets? That is not a coincidence. It is intentional disruption. Since I began playing I've only reported one player for this type of behavior, because it was that egregious.

• Haha 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 8

[PVE]
Members
8,775 posts

I forget the number of hits on friendlies you have to reach to turn pink now, but it is a really high number.  You earned this all on your own by continuously hitting your teammate(s).

• Cool 7
  • Meh 3

[CLUMP]
Members
2,861 posts
3,004 battles
6 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I forget the number of hits on friendlies you have to reach to turn pink now, but it is a really high number.  You earned this all on your own by continuously hitting your teammate(s).

Well considering  how many people are salty at DDs taking a lot of the ships via torps :Smile_hiding: It could be possible someone is intentionally blocking DDs torps :Smile_unsure: However I am not defending such behavior :fish_sleep:

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,352 posts
9,639 battles

Torpedoes rule co-op.  Completely dominate co-op.

• Cool 5

[PVE]
Members
8,775 posts
1 minute ago, LastRemnant said:

Well considering  how many people are salty at DDs taking a lot of the ships via torps :Smile_hiding: It could be possible someone is intentionally blocking DDs torps :Smile_unsure: However I am not defending such behavior :fish_sleep:

I know some people will block torps.  That's a couple of torps once in a while.  If you do enough team damage to turn pink now, you're the problem.  That's the point I was making.

• Cool 1

[DAMP]
In AlfaTesters, In AlfaTesters
2,688 posts
14,166 battles
11 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

IIRC it is either 40 or 60 torp hits to go pink. WTH is OP doing to get that many hits even on someone intentionally turning into them. I think there is more to this than the OP is saying.

[PVE]
Members
8,775 posts
2 minutes ago, Fodder4U said:

IIRC it is either 40 or 60 torp hits to go pink. WTH is OP doing to get that many hits even on someone intentionally turning into them. I think there is more to this than the OP is saying.

Yeah, this wasn't a couple of blocked torps, the OP was shooting the player to get back at them for cockblocking his torps.

Edited by Slimeball91
  • Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[CO-OP]
Members
5,206 posts
43,379 battles
37 minutes ago, scott_3721 said:

I normally don't complain but this is becoming a real issue. Since friendly fire went away there are a growing number of players that intentionally intercept torps, etc. Just earned myself a pink paintjob because some a$$hat kept skating between me and an intended target. I can understand unintentionally getting in the way from time to time (done it myself). But three times in one cap circle versus three different targets? That is not a coincidence. It is intentional disruption. Since I began playing I've only reported one player for this type of behavior, because it was that egregious.

If there is a player between you and your target you shouldn't be launching torps.  It takes 40 hits on an individual target to go pink, so I'm guessing that you might have gotten a bit frustrated with someone.

• Cool 1

[HI-CS]
Members
193 posts

I sure did, shot him on purpose to express my frustration. I was in a light cruiser, by the way, not a DD. No way you "accidentally" get in the way of torps from a cruiser that many times. That said, I have been around players with a similar play-style to mine. We seem to have the same approach & wind up brushing each other, etc. But one or both make an effort to disengage and continue the battle. Not this guy...

• Boring 1
  • Meh 3

[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,611 posts
16,549 battles
26 minutes ago, scott_3721 said:

I sure did, shot him on purpose to express my frustration. I was in a light cruiser, by the way, not a DD. No way you "accidentally" get in the way of torps from a cruiser that many times. That said, I have been around players with a similar play-style to mine. We seem to have the same approach & wind up brushing each other, etc. But one or both make an effort to disengage and continue the battle. Not this guy...

If this is something that really upset you, definitely make a Customer Support Ticket and include a Replay.  I'm not sure of how many other similar complaints may have been filed, but it's still good to record it happening in case the player decides that blocking teammates is more fun than killing bots.

That said, I know people do sometimes block players in Co-Op in the mad dash to get kills.  Three times in one match seems overly obnoxious, though.

[PVE]
Members
8,775 posts
11 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

That said, I know people do sometimes block players in Co-Op in the mad dash to get kills.  Three times in one match seems overly obnoxious, though.

I'd say almost unbelievably obnoxious... :Smile_glasses:

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[RQL]
Members
283 posts
10,108 battles

Frankly, not sure how this can even happen much.  Since most coop games are over in 5 to 6 minutes and other than the  really fast cruisers and other DDs how you going to torp block?!

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,880 battles

The only way I found to fix this is to spam HE on the enemy bot battleships.  Ignore the DDs and cruisers. 
Smoke up and let them charge in and get wasted.

This will keep your 'unfriendly' teammates fighting for their lives instead of playing mind games with you.

[PVE]
Members
12,068 posts
21,313 battles

I don't seem to have a problem with my torps getting blocked and rarely do I hit a team mate. I can't say that I haven't hit more team mates since the no damage clause, but it isn't much more. I do take a few more chances but if there is a chance that they could hit my team, I generally don't even try, just like I did when there was team damage. I don't see people trying to block torps in Co op or at least I don't think I have seen it. I am not saying it can't happen but it doesn't happen often from my perspective.

The actual fact of the matter, is that if some one can possibly block them, you shouldn't have shot them, after all they take a while to reload. It might just be that I don't see it happen because I am usually out front as much as possible if I have a torp ship, well all of the others too, unless there is a good mix of bots on the team. That is when you have to think a bit more and maybe save the battle.

I wish that you would put the replay up because that is some damn fine piloting to block 3 salvos at 3 different targets. It should be some kind of achievement for Co op. The Hat Trick Wrong Place At The Right Time Achievement, take 3 separate torp hits from 3 different salvos from a single team mate. Harder than Solo Warrior I would think. British single fire torps don't count unless they all came from different mounts or after a reload/2.

You are still responsible for your own torps, don't shoot them with ships in front of you.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[O_O]
Members
7,898 posts
22,127 battles
25 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

You are still responsible for your own torps, don't shoot them with ships in front of you.

Bingo.

• Cool 2

[KSC]
Wiki Editor, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
468 posts
11,427 battles

So get there first and drop your torps.  Sounds like someone's just got a better farming strategy than you.  

• Cool 1

[ID10T]
[ID10T]
Members
22 posts
3,868 battles

Torpedoes do not have right of way. If you fired them from a position where they could be intercepted,  that's on you.  

Teammates are shooting and maneuvering constantly. There's enough to keep track of as it is without having to watch behind them at irresponsibly launched mean-fishies.

• Cool 3

[_V_]
Members
360 posts
28,290 battles

Just remember what you're asking of you team here.

You are asking them to look away from the enemy, and back towards you at all times, to make sure that you can fire your torps.

5e9b4d465af8dee335d2f8d42451e0ed56d373b62554a68ad658ed54888b21bc.jpg

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
3 hours ago, scott_3721 said:

Just earned myself a pink paintjob because some a$$hat kept skating between me and an intended target.

Due to precedence of the notion of " torping a friendly in front of you is still your fault."  This^^ argument doesn't fly...

Just apologize to the victim you hit and move on...

Edited by Navalpride33

Members
167 posts
470 battles
2 hours ago, scott_3721 said:

I can say this:

Last week I launched some torps at a nearby enemy and some guy on my team plowed into me, absorbed my torps and then he torpedoed the enemy. Then he cut across my bow, stopping my DD and I died when the enemy torps fired at him hit my exposed flank as he scurried off. I was livid.

I went back and reviewed my own replay.. several times. I could zoom all the way out and see all of our paths from high above. I was going to expose this guy! But I soon realized that I do a lot of target fixation and I too need to improve my situational awareness. I realized that we were both at fault and also neither of us were at fault. I could see from his perspective how he might be just as mad at me. My perspective immediately changed and I went from being angry to being a little humbled.

Low tier co-op is a bloodbath where everyone runs to a capture circle and fires madly at whatever enemy they can. It's sometimes just fun, insane mayhem.

Q: So what's the proper etiquette anyway? For two converging ships, who has the right of way? The faster ship? The bigger ship? The ship in front?

[WOLF8]
Members
9,264 posts
7,537 battles

I rather feel like questioning what OP was doing, to be in a position to be torp blocked by somebody multiple times in a row like that. If something like that happens to me even once, then I shift my play to free myself quickly and go my merry way. Plus, if the line of fire is blocked... why did OP even launch the torps in the first place?

Besides, the bots are omniscient, and know right away whenever some torps hit the water. They are also masters at torpedo dodging, given enough distance and time. Thus, the best place to launch torps is right up close, around 4 km or less, to deprive them of any room or time to evade. This is pretty much how DD's and other fast torp botes dominate the Coop. If you are quick on your feet and get right up to the bots, then there would hardly be any room for anyone to get between you and target.

Even back when the friendly fire was on, I rarely had issues with my torps hitting any allies, because I would ensure to minimize the distance first, AND there is also nobody between me and the target... before I launch. If I ever miss and my torps sail on to hit somebody, then it just meant that I wasn't close enough to guarantee hits in the first place. And if there actually were somebody between me and the target, then I didn't launch at all. Maybe I was unlucky, or maybe I got outplayed. Either way, I lost that race for damage/kills. Time to dust myself, move on, and try to do better the next time. The end. 

And just because friendly fire is now off, it doesn't mean that you are no longer responsible for your own ordinances. Your allies no longer have any stake-- they no longer lose any HP on friendly hits, and they don't even get the torpedo warning indicators anymore. So why should they care at all? On the other hand, the owner of the ordinances will still lose credits, and even risk turning pink if they commit too many friendly attacks. So the owner of the ordinance needs to be extra careful, since all the penalties for friendly fires are only on them now.

[SUNK-]
Members
333 posts
8,229 battles

Its been over a year ago, but I remember once a gearing in Co-op was circling a Henri, waiting for his torps to come back. I sailed past the Henri and launched my own torps, the gearing player stopped his circling and turned directly into my torps to stop them from getting the kill. 

I have two things to say about this:

1. Being a decent team mate is not a requirement to play this game, no matter how much we want it to be.

2. I don't believe the "your torps, your responsibility" should be a blanket statement. Sure, if your torps cut someone off or hit an ally within say 30 seconds of firing them then your at fault, but what about 60 seconds or longer? At what point does it stop being your issue and more the issue with the other player being ignorant of their surroundings? Not to mention that some players purposely block torps like this. Thinking that some players don't is just naive, every multiplayer game I've played has trolls.

• Boring 1

[QNA]
Beta Testers
2,129 posts
7 hours ago, Ahskance said:

If this is something that really upset you, definitely make a Customer Support Ticket and include a Replay.  I'm not sure of how many other similar complaints may have been filed, but it's still good to record it happening in case the player decides that blocking teammates is more fun than killing bots.

can I make a ticket for all the allied :bots: that torp you just for giggles (apparently?) right at the start of a coop match when there are no enemy :bots: anywhere remotely nearby.

[WOLFA]
[WOLFA]
Members
112 posts
2,157 battles
8 hours ago, scott_3721 said:

I normally don't complain but this is becoming a real issue. Since friendly fire went away there are a growing number of players that intentionally intercept torps, etc. Just earned myself a pink paintjob because some a$$hat kept skating between me and an intended target.

7 hours ago, scott_3721 said:

I sure did, shot him on purpose to express my frustration.

Mystery solved. :fish_palm:

• Funny 1

[CO-OP]
Members
3,741 posts
37,549 battles

I think it's happened to me a couple of times, where I've suspected the torps were blocked deliberately, overall though I think it's just a result of having zero damage if you're hit by a friendly, you don't try to avoid a friendly torp, why should you. More concerning to me are the unmentionables who will repeatedly collide with you during the course of a game. In a COOP match the effect of a single collision and the speed recovery time can be the difference between an acceptable score and languishing in the sub 200BXP category.