You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Elijah2159

Supership Submarine reccomendation

9 comments in this topic

[TACT]
[TACT]
Members
668 posts
3,097 battles

A lot of people are probably going to hate this recommendation but PLEASE just hear me out
So I was reading the Roadmap and saw that these features were coming in spring

1585424495_Screenshot2022-02-01184926.thumb.png.0019949cf3bf2c144a989832ddf2162f.png

After seeing this I said to myself, "Why not combine the two?"
That's right. Super subs.

American Super Sub(s):

I was thinking of either a Barracuda-class submarine or a Tang-class submarine or, if you really want to go into the 1950s, USS Nautilus (see spoiler for images).

Spoiler

USS Nautilus:
image.png.6da1fce0c88034d10bbad9e32e51d710.png

Tang-class submarine:
Tang class | Weapons and Warfare

Barracuda-class submarine (very similar to Balao):

USS Bass (SSK-2).jpg

American sub gimmicks/weaknesses

1. Increased torpedo damage
  2. Decreased torpedo count
  3. Only one type of torpedo (homing torpedoes most likely)
  4. Very low turning rate of torpedoes
  5. Increased submarine speed
  6. Increased operational depth
  7. Increased detectability
  8. Decreased damage reduction
  9. New consumable: Pressurization. This would allow the submarine to dive deeper than its normal operational depth for the duration of the consumable
  10. Larger battery (10 minutes) but...
  11. The battery recharges very slowly (It takes 2.5 minutes to recharge 1 minute of submersion time)

I based these mechanics off of the increased survivability and roles that normal US ships/subs already have

Soviet Super Sub(s):

I was thinking of either a Zulu-class submarine or a Quebec-class submarine or, if you really want to go into the 1950s, K-19 (see spoiler below for images)

Spoiler

Zulu-class submarine:

image.thumb.png.efbc70dedd7459b264b2c46411d34fb8.png

Quebec-class submarine:

Quebec-class submarine | Military Wiki | Fandom

K-19 (everyone should know about this submarine!):

Hiroshima”: what Soviet sailors so called nuclear submarine K-19 – The  Global Domain News

Side note: K-19 had missile silos

Soviet sub gimmicks/weaknesses

1. Decreased torpedo damage
  2. Normal-ish torpedo count (depending on which submarine class is picked from above)
  3. Only one type of torpedo (non-homing)
  4. Torpedoes cannot turn
  5. Double-pinging does not deal increased damage
  6. Can only fire 2 torpedoes at once
  7. Normal operating depth (compared to Balao and U-2501)
  8. Decreased detectability
  9. Normal damage deduction
  10. Consumable: Torpedo reload booster (instantly refreshes torpedoes, 3 minute cooldown)
  11. Smaller battery (7.5 minutes) but...
  12. The battery recharges very quickly (1 minute submersion time every 30 seconds)

I based these mechanics/skills based off of the immense damage potential that the Soviet ships in-game have

Obviously, all the stats can be changed and this is just a suggestion so it can be ignored or fully accepted. Who knows.
Disclaimer: I am currently NEUTRAL on the discussion if submarines should be in World of Warships or not. Please keep all comments to this post on this post and not on the submarine arguments. Thanks!

Thoughts?

Edited by Elijah2159
  • Meh 4

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
3,173 posts
9,066 battles
2 hours ago, Elijah2159 said:

A lot of people are probably going to hate this recommendation but PLEASE just hear me out

1585424495_Screenshot2022-02-01184926.thumb.png.0019949cf3bf2c144a989832ddf2162f.png

American Super Sub(s):

I was thinking of either a Barracuda-class submarine or a Tang-class submarine or, if you really want to go into the 1950s, USS Nautilus (see spoiler for images).

Reveal hidden contents

USS Nautilus:

Tang-class submarine:

USS Bass (SSK-2).jpg

9. New consumable: Pressurization. This would allow the submarine to dive deeper than its normal operational depth
  11. The battery recharges very slowly (It takes 2.5 minutes to recharge 1 minute of submersion time)

I based these mechanics off of the increased survivability and roles that normal US ships/subs already have

Soviet Super Sub(s):

I was thinking of either a Zulu-class submarine or a Quebec-class submarine or, if you really want to go into the 1950s, K-19 (see spoiler below for images)

Reveal hidden contents

Zulu-class submarine:

Quebec-class submarine:

Hiroshima”: what Soviet sailors so called nuclear submarine K-19 – The  Global Domain News

2. Normal-ish torpedo count (depending on which submarine class is picked from above)
  4. Torpedoes cannot turn
  10. Consumable: Torpedo reload booster (instantly refreshes torpedoes, 3 minute cooldown)
  12. The battery recharges very quickly (1 minute submersion time every 30 seconds)

I based these mechanics/skills based off of the immense damage potential that the Soviet ships in-game have

Obviously, all the stats can be changed and this is just a suggestion so it can be ignored or fully accepted. Who knows.
Disclaimer: I am currently NEUTRAL on the discussion if submarines should be in World of Warships or not. Please keep all comments to this post on this post and not on the submarine arguments. Thanks!

Thoughts?

Dude I appreciate the thought on this I really do. I just think your timing is very bad for this proposal. Please understand that some are down in the dumps over the recent road map announcement. Superships will likely only be the 4 surface classes in the game for the short term and then in the long term we will see supership subs.

• Cool 1

[MAPIA]
Members
551 posts
10,788 battles
7 hours ago, Elijah2159 said:

American Super Sub(s):

Reveal hidden contents

USS Nautilus:

Tang-class submarine:

USS Bass (SSK-2).jpg

9. New consumable: Pressurization. This would allow the submarine to dive deeper than its normal operational depth

Soviet Super Sub(s):

Reveal hidden contents

Zulu-class submarine:

Quebec-class submarine:

4. Torpedoes cannot turn

Thoughts?

Pls add nukes.

[WPORT]
Members
20,735 posts
22,656 battles
Spoiler
9 hours ago, Elijah2159 said:

American Super Sub(s):

Reveal hidden contents

USS Nautilus:

Tang-class submarine:

USS Bass (SSK-2).jpg

Soviet Super Sub(s):

Reveal hidden contents

Zulu-class submarine:

Quebec-class submarine:

4. Torpedoes cannot turn

Thoughts?

Thanks for keeping Submarines in mind as Superships, @Elijah2159.

[AAYC]
Members
30 posts
26,028 battles

IJN & Late war Kriegsmarine early ballistic missile carrying hybrid subs would be simple enough to graft onto with the mechanics of thingsl like Kearsarge, Tone, and Ise. A early post war Soviet one in the same configuration + a legacy V2 rocket looks very much like the later Regulus Missile systems fielded by US & UK . . . There are probably ways to delineate submarine sub-classes (SSBN, SSK, Littoral/Coastal Defense) in terms of gameplay and interclass synergies . . .  Current subs are over-tiered, and it should be possible to incorporate early nuclear submarines as the end game content given current movement parameters of the class -- from there, things like your Nautilus proposal could be anywhere from VIII-X, or Armory/Research Bureau, with later iconic Cold War subs as prospective Super Ships. The British equivalent of the Nautilus would be another, for nuclear propulsion milestones; the German Type 21 hybrid drive prototype the British had as a warprize would be another, at least for a Littoral/Diesel Electric branch premium equivalent. Anyways, distinguishing Fleet (legacy WWII designs) from Attack subs is desireable -- Natuilus would probably branch off to or be in the Attack Sub line, and the late WWII designs that took Regulus missile systems over on the Fleet Subs, with hybrid ship attack mechanics (to mirror the IJN rocket/CV hybrids and German Cruise & Rocket missile projects) and commensurate lower endurance &speed/higher operating depths. The USN Fleet Subs would have their equivalent of pre-upgrade late/post-WWII build UK/AUS Oberon subs at tier VIII, whereas the latter would have the Regulus Missile et. al. features of their extended service lives. 

[BIM-5]
Members
167 posts
7,305 battles
On 2/1/2022 at 6:24 PM, Elijah2159 said:

4. Torpedoes cannot turn

Your Soviet gimmick should be the way to balance the entire sub gameplay mechanics

Members
24 posts
2,941 battles

How about keep the tier 10 subs that are in the game HOWEVER they can only be used in matches against superships and super carriers. 

Example Tier X+ matchmaking:

0-1 tier 10 Carrier [0-1 super carrier]     (both teams would have identical tier for this)

3 - 4 Tier 10 BB's [0-2 super BB's]

3 - 4 Tier 10 Cruisers [0-2 super cruisers]

3 - 4 Tier 10 DD's [0-2 Super DD]

0 - 2 Tier 10 Submarines    (Both teams would have equal number of subs be it 1 or 2 per team)

-- (variations would equal 12 ships total and maximum 4 superships per team)

Get rid of low tier subs except PVE stuff maybe, and absolutely no super subs.

would this work? maybe offer tier 10s a monetary incentive like -50% post battle costs? (-20% for Premiums and their camos)

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
5,165 posts
15,884 battles
On 2/1/2022 at 9:24 PM, Elijah2159 said:

Nuclear powered Subs should be exempt from the battery mechanic, and homing torps were primarily an ASW thing; for NATO.

Meanwhile,  every single sub you listed aside Nautilus and K-19 should be tech tree; as the game goes now into the late 50s. Late 50s USN had the Skate and Skipjack class SSNs with the Barbell class diesel boats. 

Meanwhile, super subs wouldn't need to surface and should have access to both radar, mines and both forms of torpedoes.