Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SeaRaptor

First Look: Tier VII Premium Japanese Cruiser Maya

18 comments in this topic

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, WoWS Community Contributors
2,783 posts
15,299 battles

Premium Japanese cruiser Maya enters World of Warships as the third Takao-class ship of the IJN to appear in-game. Unlike her Tier VIII sisters, though, Maya is Tier VII. She has a lot in common with Myoko out of the tech tree, but brings more utility and longevity. Tune in and learn what else makes her stand out!

• Thanks 6

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,336 posts
9,613 battles

Given how bad a place most Tier VII cruisers are at I hope I am wrong, but I can't see Maya making it to live without significant encounters with the nerf bat.

• Meh 1

[-K-]
2,783 posts
15,299 battles
On 2/2/2022 at 7:36 PM, Helstrem said:

Given how bad a place most Tier VII cruisers are at I hope I am wrong, but I can't see Maya making it to live without significant encounters with the nerf bat.

I disagree with the overall state of Tier VII cruisers; there are a LOT of great cruisers in the tier that are incredibly capable.

• Cool 1

Members
236 posts
792 battles
2 minutes ago, SeaRaptor said:

I disagree with the overall state of Tier VII cruisers; there are a LOT of great cruisers in the tier that are incredibly capable.

I think it's more the power and range difference between tier VII and IX when you get bottomed tiered... which is pretty much always these days.

• Thanks 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,336 posts
9,613 battles
4 minutes ago, Larry_Talbot said:

I think it's more the power and range difference between tier VII and IX when you get bottomed tiered... which is pretty much always these days.

VII and VIII.  Don’t have to even look at IXs.

[-AGW-]
Beta Testers
646 posts

Another Narai boat. 120 second torp reload will make it less of a threat in the harbor than the Weimar but having the heal is a big bonus.

It is a historical ship though, which makes me interested from a collection viewpoint. Seems it should have better AA though as it is the last configuration of the Takao class.

@SeaRaptor, while your vids are informative... I have to say, personally, your intro and presentation makes me cringe. It's as if you lifted the template from practically every gamer-youtuber over the past 5 or six years and combined them into one. Great for the GTA Online / COD crowd of youngsters but the ship group is a bit older on average. Maybe tone it down a bit? Just some constructive criticism. Otherwise, keep up the good work.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[-AGW-]
Beta Testers
646 posts

Any bets on when this will be released? I may have just enough doubloons left w/coupon (if it can be used...) if this shows up in the armory. As it stands, there's nothing else that interests me.

[PVE]
Members
8,775 posts
28 minutes ago, xamdam said:

Any bets on when this will be released? I may have just enough doubloons left w/coupon (if it can be used...) if this shows up in the armory. As it stands, there's nothing else that interests me.

The new T6 cruisers are coming next patch, Dido, and the new Spanish ship Canarias.  That would most likely mean the Maya is still a few months out, then another patch cycle before you can use the coupon for new ships in the armory.

• Thanks 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles

Maya looks pretty decent for the tier, I'd get her.  For Narai she'll be better than Myoko because Myoko's torpedoes are almost unusable in the operation due to the rear facing launchers.  The Takao-class torpedo launcher is better for more aggressive play.  The MBRB can help Maya dish out some fire power.  Still, in Cruisers for Narai, CLs are generally the better choices.  But the Repair Party gimmick on Maya will be very convenient in this op.

The AA being trash despite the IJN refitting her by dropping a main battery turret for more AA guns?  That's easy to see.  The refit dropped one of the main battery turrets and they stuffed a bunch of trash AA guns.  From wikipedia her AA armament post-refit consisted of:

Maya 1944:

12x Type 89 127mm DP guns - Trash.

66x Type 96 25mm AA guns - Trash.

36x Type 93 13.2mm AA guns - A big joke, the USN stopped relying on .50 cals / 12.7mm HMGs for warship air defense years prior.

IJN AA guns were simply horrid.  Not to mention the IJN placed a lot of faith in guns that were too small, what I consider, "Too Late AA" ranges.

USS Baltimore 1943:

12x 127mm/38 DP guns

12x Quad Bofors 40mm AA guns (48 total)

20x 20mm Oerlikon AA guns

[X-PN]
Members
3,836 posts
17,720 battles
2 hours ago, SeaRaptor said:

Many T7 cruisers that I love.... but the problem with them is that they have to play with T8 and T9.... often... in fact...more than twice as often as top tier.  T8 gets that all important concealment slot, so T8 greatly outspot most T7 ships... and just about everything else gets a major boost.... hydros go from 4 to 5, guns gets more pen or more dpm or both.... radar become prevalent.... heals become more common, torps get more range, 25 and 27mm armor shows up, etc....
I get that every tier gets more, but the step from 7 to 8 is probably the biggest in the game....and it holds true for DDs and BBs as well for concealment and armor reasons....

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,848 posts
15,806 battles
2 hours ago, xamdam said:

Another Narai boat. 120 second torp reload will make it less of a threat in the harbor than the Weimar but having the heal is a big bonus.

It is a historical ship though, which makes me interested from a collection viewpoint. Seems it should have better AA though as it is the last configuration of the Takao class.

@SeaRaptor, while your vids are informative... I have to say, personally, your intro and presentation makes me cringe. It's as if you lifted the template from practically every gamer-youtuber over the past 5 or six years and combined them into one. Great for the GTA Online / COD crowd of youngsters but the ship group is a bit older on average. Maybe tone it down a bit? Just some constructive criticism. Otherwise, keep up the good work.

It wasn't really the last configuration of the Takao class. It was just Maya because she was bombed by Saratoga in 1943 which set her on fire and cause really major damage. The Japanese "fixed" her into a pseudo AA cruiser by removing the nearly useless C turret and her aircraft facilities (which were largely destroyed by the bombing anyway). Unfortunately IJN AA was pretty poor overall so this didn't really improve her much. The other Takaos remained basically the same. 

[WPORT]
Members
20,728 posts
22,656 battles
On 2/1/2022 at 3:49 PM, SeaRaptor said:

First Look: Tier VII Premium Japanese Cruiser Maya

By SeaRaptor, February 1

Premium Japanese cruiser Maya enters World of Warships as the third Takao-class ship of the IJN to appear in-game. Unlike her Tier VIII sisters, though, Maya is Tier VII. She has a lot in common with Myoko out of the tech tree, but brings more utility and longevity. Tune in and learn what else makes her stand out!

The Maya is Tier-8, not Tier-7 (which is the Roman numeral you're using in the topic description).
https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Ships_of_Japan

image_2022-02-07_211647.thumb.png.d5231ca22844007f46f465a74e95f2ae.png

[KIVA]
Members
695 posts

OP is talking about the recently announced realistic Maya (T7), representing a late wartime refit with only four turrets, not the anime tie-in Maya (T8) which apart from a skin is identical in performance to Atago.

[WPORT]
Members
20,728 posts
22,656 battles
5 minutes ago, Wrath_Of_Deadguy said:

OP is talking about the recently announced realistic Maya (T7), representing a late wartime refit with only four turrets, not the anime tie-in Maya (T8) which apart from a skin is identical in performance to Atago.

Thanks.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,336 posts
9,613 battles
48 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

It wasn't really the last configuration of the Takao class. It was just Maya because she was bombed by Saratoga in 1943 which set her on fire and cause really major damage. The Japanese "fixed" her into a pseudo AA cruiser by removing the nearly useless C turret and her aircraft facilities (which were largely destroyed by the bombing anyway). Unfortunately IJN AA was pretty poor overall so this didn't really improve her much. The other Takaos remained basically the same. 

This.  There are so many buffs that happen going from Tier VII to Tier VIII and unlike facing two tiers up, there is no MM protection at all for a single tier difference.

Since I started tracking my Random battle tiers back in early May of 2021 this is the breakdown per tier:

Ship Tier Tier +0 Battles Tier +1 Battles Tier +2 battles
V 9 10 7
VI 27 15 31
VII 31 34 38
VIII 69 30 62
IX 155 109 N/A

Notice how, other than Tier V which lacks enough battles to be representative, only Tier VII is put in +1 matches more often than it is in +0 matches.  It is also the only tier that sees more +2 matches than it sees +0 matches.

• Thanks 2

[-K-]
2,783 posts
15,299 battles
On 2/7/2022 at 5:27 PM, xamdam said:

Given that I don't watch GTA or COD videos I am... not sure what you mean?  

[PHD]
Members
2,236 posts
10,021 battles
On 2/7/2022 at 8:25 PM, YouSatInGum said:

Many T7 cruisers that I love.... but the problem with them is that they have to play with T8 and T9.... often... in fact...more than twice as often as top tier.  T8 gets that all important concealment slot, so T8 greatly outspot most T7 ships... and just about everything else gets a major boost.... hydros go from 4 to 5, guns gets more pen or more dpm or both.... radar become prevalent.... heals become more common, torps get more range, 25 and 27mm armor shows up, etc....
I get that every tier gets more, but the step from 7 to 8 is probably the biggest in the game....and it holds true for DDs and BBs as well for concealment and armor reasons....

I was thinking/hoping the Maya would be T8. An Atago with much better AA. Guess not.

The Tone only has eight 203s at T8. True it has the torpedo planes, but they have a rather long load/reload so they are not as useful as possible. But I play mostly PvE where there is not as much time. But I like it.

I will get the Maya, because.  But I do not see as many CVs in PvE so the AA is not much an issue,  same with Dido.

Edited by GrayPanther2018
Additional information

[NAV]
Members
403 posts
13,523 battles
On 2/7/2022 at 6:27 PM, xamdam said:

I disagree with this opinion on the presenting style.  I think he's just an energetic speaker - and FYI the GTA/COD crowd is in their mid-twenties. 

Just for some perspective...
No facecam, no memes, no background music, no effects or animations past the titlecard (which is only ten seconds, not a flashy video that takes too long), no social media, no anime, no gamer-streamer interruptions like chat on-screen or donation callouts, no merch store hustling, no clickbait titles, hell he doesn't even ask for "like and subscribe" at the end, just a "stay safe and see you next time." 

It's all about the info and not at all about the presenter's on-screen personality.  I think that's pretty much the dinosaur-friendliest it gets.