You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Atlaa

Recommendations for a good destroyer to play

36 comments in this topic

Members
37 posts
918 battles

Hello! I recently finished my grind to G.K and Nakhimov and wanted to grind a new destroyer line. I had originally tried out the German dd line and decided I didn't like it. I have also researched up to Minsk on the Soviet line and Akatsuki on the Japanese line (do not currently have in port, needs to be bought for credits). What are your recommendations on which DD line I should grind? 

[TRU]
Members
829 posts
29,671 battles
11 minutes ago, Atlaa said:

Hello! I recently finished my grind to G.K and Nakhimov and wanted to grind a new destroyer line. I had originally tried out the German dd line and decided I didn't like it. I have also researched up to Minsk on the Soviet line and Akatsuki on the Japanese line (do not currently have in port, needs to be bought for credits). What are your recommendations on which DD line I should grind? 

Japanese lines.   You get a nice gunboat with the Harugumo and a pure torpedo boat with the Shimakaze.  

[P0TS]
Members
120 posts
3,883 battles

Daring is a very strong DD.

Great guns, decent torps, good short duration smoke, good maneuverability, decent conceal of 6 km. The only downside really is the slow-ish speed of 36.8 knots (with speed flag).

Edited by t0uk14
  • Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
8,871 posts
27,057 battles
6 minutes ago, mpwardawg said:

Japanese lines.   You get a nice gunboat with the Harugumo and a pure torpedo boat with the Shimakaze.  

The gunboat line is good. Several keepers along the way. The torpedo boat line however doesn't really provide a keeper until the end of the line.

As mentioned above, the Brit line is good although some pretty meh ships in the middle.

And for something completely different, there's the French line. Have to learn to play without smoke but there are 3 keepers at the end of the line.

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

You will want the Halland or similar.

Fast enough to get into other DD's stuff and wreck them before anything.

Gotta know when to hold them cards and when to cash in. If I wanted to be snarky, I would recommend the Ragnar. Essentially stand on top of any old hilltop and dare any other people to come up and knock you off.

Edited by xHeavy

Beta Testers
741 posts
2,149 battles

From tech tree:

For general purpose all-rounders, RN DDs.

For stealth torping, you want IJN.

For pure gunboats, you want FR or EU.

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

Really depends on your preference of playstyles, like I utterly despise the french DDs yet have many friends that love them. However, as a newer player, I suggest playing either the US or IJN lines as they are both have simple playstyles that help you learn the basics of DD play. USN early on is more gunboat yet at the higher tiers more hybrids. The main IJN line is more torpedo-focused but at the split becomes more focused on the guns.

[PHLNX]
Members
556 posts
14,636 battles

I found the drive up the Gearing line was quite nice all the way. Gearing herself is not top in any category,  but she competes well and makes up for her relative shortcomings with her relative strengths. 

[ICEY]
Volunteer Moderator
486 posts

The Pan-Asian DD line has some solid DDs. Namely the tier 7 Gadjah Mada and the tier 9 Chung Mu. Absolute torpedo beasts with their fast deepwater torps. I wouldn't recommend it tho if you are just going for the tier X.

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

I sometimes look at the 4 million ship xp accumulated on the Shimakaze over the years and wonder what I can cash in on the next Japanese T11 DD....

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator
1,493 posts
15,636 battles

If you like stealthy torpedo-boats with smoke:

• IJN Torpedo Line
  • USN Line

If you like Gunboats that care not for smoke!

• FR Line
  • RU Line (Khaba / Delny)

If you like Hybrids:

• KMS Line
  • RMS Line
  • IJN Line (Harugumo)
  • Thanks 1

[-VT-]
Members
1,041 posts
43,391 battles

All the DD lines are pretty good, tbh.  Different play styles, perhaps, but fun to play once you learn them.

[WHARF]
Members
847 posts
22,494 battles
1 hour ago, Atlaa said:

none...buy a nice model and put it on your shelf...better use of your time

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Volunteer Moderator
2,629 posts
7,415 battles

Fletcher is easily one of the best all-rounders in the game. I'd go as far as to say she is far better than her successor, the Gearing. This is a fantastic destroyer and probably one of the best destroyers in the game for learning the class.

Daring is a great tier 10 destroyer with a lot of tools. The short duration smoke seems like a weakness on paper, but in game it allows you to reposition repeatedly as opposed to staying in one spot as the battle moves.

I used to really like the Harugumo line, but I'm not having a lot of luck with them lately. From a destroyer perspective, they're odd ducks & are more like very small light cruisers than actual destroyers. That said if you're looking for more sustained firepower but less knife-fighting, the line is alright. You just rely a lot on your guns & sitting in smoke or behind cover. Much more passive play style than the Daring or Fletcher.

• Cool 1

[TRU]
Members
829 posts
29,671 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

The gunboat line is good. Several keepers along the way. The torpedo boat line however doesn't really provide a keeper until the end of the line.

As mentioned above, the Brit line is good although some pretty meh ships in the middle.

And for something completely different, there's the French line. Have to learn to play without smoke but there are 3 keepers at the end of the line.

The French lines are fun and are ridiculously fast.  I think I had the most fun in the Mogador thanks to the tier 9 MM.  At tier 10, the Shimakaze rarely disappoints unless you are focused by a CV.  

[MOPAR]
Members
256 posts
4,582 battles
2 hours ago, mpwardawg said:

The French lines are fun and are ridiculously fast.  I think I had the most fun in the Mogador thanks to the tier 9 MM.  At tier 10, the Shimakaze rarely disappoints unless you are focused by a CV.  

My problem with grinding up the french dd line is how horrible and floaty their shells feel. This is coming from someone who just did the khabarovsk line and had a blast.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,079 posts
14,757 battles

Unfortunately the American line has been roughly power creeped. It was the first line I ground back in the day and even as a rookie did well. Lots of fun games in the Fletcher. But when I reground it for research points, I just did not fare very well. Problem is that with the population boom in radar ships and the advent of very fast torpedoes,  American smoke is not so great any more. 

I reground the British line and found it still to be delightful with every DD from the Jervis up very competitive.

But I love the French. A ship just can not go fast enough for me....

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

I spent the majority of my DD time in the Gearing, Z52 and Shima.

I have spent a little bit of time in all other nations worth of DD's including the Smaland which I have... and know that there is a handful of DD's I need to get. Out of my three, the Gearing is the one I take into Randoms for battle. Usually the 16km torps prosecute the Russian Radar ships while kiting out of range. Aggravates them to no end and actually land a few hits.

The Shima is a pure torp hunter. If a human CV focused me I just stop and let them have the kill. Saves me 20 minutes of high blood pressure and excessive aggravation. Its a direct result of the broken Post RTS reworked CV system.

The Z52 is disappointing. The torps group do not have enough boom to delete a Krem. All it does it tickle it. and thats really too bad.

Edited by xHeavy

[CLUMP]
Members
2,861 posts
3,004 battles

Don't go french very hard line to play :Smile_hiding: I would try the U.S line or IJN line :Smile_popcorn:

[EDEG]
Members
510 posts
14,693 battles
1 hour ago, HubrisHam said:

My problem with grinding up the french dd line is how horrible and floaty their shells feel. This is coming from someone who just did the khabarovsk line and had a blast.

Wait until Le Fantasque. From there up you've got the best flight times in the game and can citadel cruisers from 11km.

Members
3,352 posts
3,059 battles
5 hours ago, Boggzy said:

RMS Line

Ah yes, delivering explosive packages with the Royal Mail Service. :Smile_veryhappy:

7 hours ago, mpwardawg said:

You get a nice gunboat with the Harugumo and a pure torpedo boat with the Shimakaze.

And a little bit of both in Isokaze. 

1 hour ago, handybilly said:

Unfortunately the American line has been roughly power creeped.

That means you simply aren't reloading the guns fast enough.

[TORCH]
Members
829 posts
8,354 battles

Daring....then Kleber...then Halland...After that you have pretty much anything you want in a DD...(+Gearing if you want to smoke up friends)