You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
lolpip

Predictions for french cruiser split

16 comments in this topic

[RNGOD]
Members
221 posts
9,910 battles

With the announcement of a split coming soon after the Italian destroyers while they haven't explicitly stated whether or not the cruisers are a supercruiser branch or more heavy cruisers or light cruisers I think it will most likely be Light cruisers given the amount of them that made up their cruiser force during WW2 and the fact that a supercruiser split is unlikely alongside more heavy cruisers wouldn't really have a difference between the current line and i think the line will be versions of current tech tree and premium cruisers adjusted to fit the playstyle of the line which I think will be similar to the heavy cruisers but with more consumable slots such as not having to choose between hydro and defensive aa and also possibly radar.

Here's how I think the line will go

VIII  Guichen - version of De Grasse uptiered to 8 / VIII Primauguet - Charles Martel Edited to have 4x3 /3x3 6 inch guns

IX Chateurenault - Tech tree Bayard Clone with more torpedoes

X Montcalm - Completely made up version of St louis with 6 inch guns or 6.1 inch guns possibly

edit. remembered they said it was gonna be three ships

Edited by lolpip

[WOLFC]
Members
6,096 posts
17,227 battles
17 minutes ago, lolpip said:

edit. remembered they said it was gonna be three ships

This means it will almost certainly be a branch of heavy cruisers in some form, either CAs or CBs, as the lines would diverge at Algerie, the first CA in the current French line.

Of course, watch WG pull a fast one on us and have a short line of CLs branch off of the French DD line at tier VII. WG just released a line of low-caliber CLs, and the French DDs are close enough to cruisers, right? :Smile-_tongue:

Edited by Nevermore135

[-VT-]
Members
1,041 posts
43,391 battles

Why...WHY...do we need more ships?

So tired of ships that either A) were not viable in WW2 to any degree or B) were concept ships only or C) were post war ships.

Please.

Could we not have instead:

A)  new maps

B)  new campaigns

C)  incentive mission streams  ( Here's what you have to do to get a Belfast...")  ("Here's how to get a steel camo for a mid-tier ship...")

So many fantasy ships now.  It just gets old, WG. 

And with 296 ships in my port as it is...how enthused am I to add to that number?  Not at all.  I only have so much time to play, you know?

~ Sab

Edited by Sabene
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[RNGOD]
Members
221 posts
9,910 battles
16 minutes ago, Sabene said:

Why...WHY...do we need more ships?

So tired of ships that either A) were not viable in WW2 to any degree or B) were concept ships only or C) were post war ships.

Please.

Could we not have instead:

A)  new maps

B)  new campaigns

C)  incentive mission streams  ( Here's what you have to do to get a Belfast...")  ("Here's how to get a steel camo for a mid-tier ship...")

So many fantasy ships now.  It just gets old, WG. 

And with 296 ships in my port as it is...how enthused am I to add to that number?  Not at all.  I only have so much time to play, you know?

~ Sab

this is off topic please complain somewhere else I started this thread to have a discussion about French cruisers not about suggestions to improve the game

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[RNGOD]
Members
221 posts
9,910 battles
20 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

This means it will almost certainly be a branch of heavy cruisers in some form, either CAs or CBs, as the lines would diverge at Algerie, the first CA in the current French line.

Of course, watch WG pull a fast one on us and have a short line of CLs branch off of the French DD line at tier VII. WG just released a line of low-caliber CLs, and the French DDs are close enough to cruisers, right? :Smile-_tongue:

either that or they'll swap Algerie for a tier 7 De Grasse

Edited by lolpip

[-VT-]
Members
1,041 posts
43,391 battles
3 minutes ago, lolpip said:

this is off topic please complain somewhere else I started this thread to have a discussion about French cruisers not about suggestions to improve the game

Why are you excited about new ships that were insignificant in the war when there are so many ships already present in the game that you have not played or mastered?

These 'new' ships will not improve your game play at all.  They will only drain your time and resources.  And they most likely will NOT stack up well against ships already in the game (few new lines do unless they are Russian ships...).

• Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[WOLFC]
Members
6,096 posts
17,227 battles
10 minutes ago, lolpip said:

either that or they'll swap Algerie for a tier 7 De Grasse

But then that would be four ships, would it not?

[RNGOD]
Members
221 posts
9,910 battles
39 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

But then that would be four ships, would it not?

no algerie would become a coal ship instead so its still three really as the split but 4 ships implemented

• Haha 1

[VVV]
Members
3,246 posts
5,521 battles
4 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

If that's the case there's some obvious candidates.

T8: Navire de Ligne de 17.500t

croiseurdebataille-Alt-A-1.jpg.b74ba369cf62562d69dadbecc8332d1e.jpg

T9: Croiseur Protege de 23.690t (similar but not identical to Carnot)

764691506_Croiseurprotgde23690t.thumb.png.d3d1dfd687d5873f90eb2959fd9240e4.png

T10: Croiseur de Bataille de 37.000t

1215629334_CroiseurdeBataillede37000t-1927.thumb.png.002b626945c53a796a0f820ef5d1efb1.png1030822536_CroiseurdeBataillede37000t-1928.thumb.png.04cc313fdf2877c7357537eaf6a9ce18.png

As far as names go, current T8-10 French CAs all take their names from the list planned for the Saint-Louis class. The remaining names from that list are Charlemagne, Brennus and Vercingetorix. There's Brennus in the game files, but that's just a Henri IV clone that was for testing MBRB on the live server before it was added to tech tree French CAs. The name could easily be reused. Or WG could just go to the well of French pre-dreadnoughts like they did with Carnot and pick a name like Masséna or Bouvet.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
6,096 posts
17,227 battles
On 2/1/2022 at 1:21 PM, lolpip said:

no algerie would become a coal ship instead so its still three really as the split but 4 ships implemented

That’s still four new tech tree ships, not three.

Regardless, it was confirmed in the NA stream with Shonai on 2/2 that the new French cruisers will be large cruisers.

Edited by Nevermore135

[UN1]
Members
1,497 posts
4,854 battles

Just so you guys are aware, when WG releases unique premium ships with differing characteristics compared to the rest of the line, it's sometimes a precursor/testbed to an upcoming tech tree.  For instance,

• FDR --> Soviet Carriers
  • Carnot --> French Cruiser split
  • Paola Emilio --> Italian DD's
  • Incomparable --> British Battlecruisers
  • Canarias --> Future upcoming European/Spanish cruiser branch
  • Superships --> Test beds for future gimmicks.  Also an economic dumping ground.
  • Agir --> Future German large cruiser tree (this'll differ from their German battlecruiser counterparts by not being secondary focused)
  • Forest Sherman --> Future USN DD split

You can't predict them all, and it's not a sure predictive method (I could be wrong on some of these), but there's enough history to support the theory.

[VVV]
Members
3,246 posts
5,521 battles

Well apparently WG revealed (at least in sketch form) the new French cruisers on the stream today.

Spoiler

FrenchCB8.thumb.jpg.d4d6b9916c658a905bbb44f5b49a6e2a.jpgFrenchCB9.thumb.jpg.349715d995d5faee8f8fcc7addae70bc.jpgFrenchCB10.thumb.jpg.75623d78223bb708ab2073fd59e89dc5.jpg

And my thoughts are...I freaking hate them. With 3 very viable real designs available as mentioned above, WG seems to have tossed those aside and made stuff up instead. I mean really, a Nelson layout?

[SPTR]
Members
28,224 posts
21,213 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Magus said:

Well apparently WG revealed (at least in sketch form) the new French cruisers on the stream today.

Hide contents

imageproxy.php?img=&key=44b63c92bbf32eaeFrenchCB8.thumb.jpg.d4d6b9916c658a905bbb44f5b49a6e2a.jpgFrenchCB9.thumb.jpg.349715d995d5faee8f8fcc7addae70bc.jpgFrenchCB10.thumb.jpg.75623d78223bb708ab2073fd59e89dc5.jpg

And my thoughts are...I freaking hate them. With 3 very viable real designs available as mentioned above, WG seems to have tossed those aside and made stuff up instead. I mean really, a Nelson layout?

i think the Nelson layout one is a Richelieu design periminary project no° 3 and 4 to be exact, where they were suppose to have the 380mm guns in 2 twin and 1 quad mounts at the front or 3 triple mounts at the front

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpVx8t3z4XS9lLWRWgx0e

if WG removed 380mm turrets and replaced them with 305 quads from Carnot and made the bow and stern extremities cruiser levels of armor, we could have a french battlecruiser at t10 that could compete with the likes of Yoshino and Puerto Rico.

[N9PTS]
Members
547 posts
1 hour ago, Rolkatsuki said:

i think the Nelson layout one is a Richelieu design periminary project no° 3 and 4 to be exact, where they were suppose to have the 380mm guns in 2 twin and 1 quad mounts at the front or 3 triple mounts at the front

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpVx8t3z4XS9lLWRWgx0e

if WG removed 380mm turrets and replaced them with 305 quads from Carnot and made the bow and stern extremities cruiser levels of armor, we could have a french battlecruiser at t10 that could compete with the likes of Yoshino and Puerto Rico.

i like this Design  it's a Very interesting ship 

Beta Testers
438 posts
2,559 battles

Looking at what was announced, I feel like they missed a yuuuuge opportunity to have more of a full(er) pseudo battlecruiser-cum- large cruiser line for the French. Also I echo the sentiment of may in reddit and @Lord_Magus here in that they chose to ignore established designs in favor of what I can only assume was a specific gameplay identity, hence the all forward layouts. I still wouldn't play them regardless, and I guess I can freely ignore them now.

UPDATE: 

Ok, so now that the English language stream has shown the ships formally, I still feel the same way. Especially since the tier X is by their own admission based on Richelieu prelim design N.4 but with obvious liberties taken to reduce it's MB caliber and mess around with the secondary arrangement. It's... disappointing that they opted to modify an existing design rather than just use a different one altogether. I get what they're trying to do, because the French can't actually have a full on BC line without resorting to use many of these prelim designs in the first place. Having said that, does anyone out there in forumland have any information on potential designs from the era that used gun calibers smaller than 305mm?

Edited by Trophy_Wench
Addendum