Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
maxirater

how to fix MM and OP/discontinued ships

16 comments in this topic

[BIM-5]
Members
167 posts
7,287 battles

Most every match starts with whining and moaning in chat about MM. The easy way to fix this is to put a barrier between T8 and T9 so that T7/T8 never get uptiered with T9/T10 ships. This would also allow a lot of discontinued ships to re-enter the game as well as superships play in T10. The only ship that ruins T8 is akizuki which should be moved up one tier. Then playing mid-tier ships would be fun again and not just get steamrolled by high tier ships. All MM complaining would cease. Discontinued ships like Thunderer and Smaland could go back on sale.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 5

[PAT]
Members
1,258 posts
15,083 battles

Just add a T11 on top, which will reduce the number of T7 and T8 pulled into high-tier matches. We could call it--work with me here--"superships".

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles

Here's an observation... Stop making, producing, instilling OP/over-capable ships and other in game elements for high tiers.

Its a simple concept. Introduce ships

• To enhance the game modes provided.. Instead of them not fitting into the games modes provided...
    • In other words, dont bring in ships just to create a profit.. Bring them in to improve the quality of play in the given game modes.
  • Perform/confirm to set standards for their tier of operation...Not break it with their  dominance. 
    • Rules, boundaries and limitations set for their tier of operation.
  • That have a purpose
    • Ships without a job because its outsources to other ships... Create stale game play/outcome.
  • Not have the same tools for the purpose reserved for other ships
    • In other words, dont give cruiser tools to BBs or any other ship class.. When these tools are appropriated by all, it defeats the purpose of WOWS being a "team" oriented game
    • Torps and hydro on a BB at tier 7 in a tier 5 match?? Why not... Bad idea, but we play even if we disagree...

Because WG/WOWS evolution so far... Will only produce a sub-par product... In a niche category, you dont want to be sub-par..

Because of this... I don't see the platform thriving.. Its alive, its doing ok... But at present, it can do a lot more then what it has done in the last 2 years.

The OP/over-capable ship and in game elements gap, between top tier in the -/+2MM spread is too wide to sustain, at high tiers... 

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[BIM-5]
Members
167 posts
7,287 battles
29 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Here's an observation... Stop making, producing, instilling OP/over-capable ships and other in game elements for high tiers.

What youre describing is already provided by T5/T6/T7/T8. All the ships at mid tiers are well balanced, none of them are noticeably OP (except for Aki), none of them have any over-the-top gimmicks. This is why I spend most my time playing mid-tiers. But there is nothing wrong with OP and gimmick ships as long as you dont mix them up with normal ships. This is EXACTLY what the barrier between T8 and T9 would do, it would provide the well balanced gameplay for those who want it at mid tiers, and the OP gameplay at high tiers.

Edited by maxirater

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
2 hours ago, maxirater said:

What youre describing is already provided by T5/T6/T7/T8. All the ships at mid tiers are well balanced, none of them are noticeably OP,

Incorrect

• GC still owns
  • New  DDs torp ranges were extended from 7km to over 8km at tier 5
  • Hydro mechanic has been extended to included other ship types at tiers of operation 5  and 7
  • The gap between gun caliber and the armor is widening at mid tiers...

Mid tiers, are not balanced.. They're less messed up then high tiers (tiers 8 to 10).

Edited by Navalpride33

[SALVO]
Members
28,054 posts
41,668 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Incorrect

• GC still owns
  • New  DDs torps were extended from 7km to over 8km at tier 5
  • Hydro mechanic has been extended to included other ship types at tiers of operation 5  and 7
  • The gap between gun caliber and the armor is widening at mid tiers...

Mid tiers, are not balanced.. They're less messed up then high tiers (tiers 8 to 10).

WG tried to rebalance the GC, but a portion of the community whined and complained about moving the GC to tier 6.  And WG didn't show any stones and caved.  They've finally (sorta) created a tier 6 GC with the tier 6 Russian BB Novorossiysk.  I don't know how close to what WG planned for the uptiered GC the Novo really is, though.

(Side note: My god, the perma camo on the Novo is horrible.  Not that I'm looking for something gaudy, but almost anything would be better than a boring, plain gray paint job.)

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

WG tried to rebalance the GC, but a portion of the community whined and complained about moving the GC to tier 6.

I remember... I was here... I was one who warned of the consequences...

Because of this speck in WOWS history... Now we have an issue with power creep at high tiers...

[WOLFC]
Members
6,101 posts
17,230 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

I don't know how close to what WG planned for the uptiered GC the Novo really is, though.

It’s completely different. Novorossiysk was implemented as a “battlecruiser,” with enhanced dispersion and thin plating for a battleship at her tier. The tier VI GC that WG tested was simply the tier V version with her extremity plating bumped up to the tier VI-VII standard. It’s telling that WG was happy with the performance of that test ship a tier higher.

I’m actually surprised we never saw a version of that ship make it to the live server. If I was WG, I would have placed Leonardo da Vinci in the tech tree at tier V and released the up-tiered, balanced ship at tier VI as Conte di Cavour to accompany the release of the Italian BB line (instead of… Leone? :Smile_amazed:).

[O_O]
Members
7,894 posts
22,076 battles
6 hours ago, maxirater said:

All MM complaining would cease.

:Smile_teethhappy::Smile_veryhappy:

You funny.

Edited by desmo_2

Members
3,325 posts
595 battles
7 hours ago, maxirater said:

Most every match starts with whining and moaning in chat about MM. The easy way to fix this is to put a barrier between T8 and T9 so that T7/T8 never get uptiered with T9/T10 ships. This would also allow a lot of discontinued ships to re-enter the game as well as superships play in T10. The only ship that ruins T8 is akizuki which should be moved up one tier. Then playing mid-tier ships would be fun again and not just get steamrolled by high tier ships. All MM complaining would cease. Discontinued ships like Thunderer and Smaland could go back on sale.

BVFz2DJ.gif

[SALVO]
Members
28,054 posts
41,668 battles
8 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

It’s completely different. Novorossiysk was implemented as a “battlecruiser,” with enhanced dispersion and thin plating for a battleship at her tier. The tier VI GC that WG tested was simply the tier V version with her extremity plating bumped up to the tier VI-VII standard. It’s telling that WG was happy with the performance of that test ship a tier higher.

I’m actually surprised we never saw a version of that ship make it to the live server. If I was WG, I would have placed Leonardo da Vinci in the tech tree at tier V and released the up-tiered, balanced ship at tier VI as Conte di Cavour to accompany the release of the Italian BB line (instead of… Leone? :Smile_amazed:).

Well, in truth, the Novo had little choice but to sort of fill the role of battlecruiser.  It doesn't have big guns nor heavy armor.  And honestly, it seems like a stretch to turn a relatively lightly armed and armored tier 5 BB into an appropriately armed and armored tier 6 GC.  It seems to me that regardless of whether it was Italian or Russian, a tier 6 "GC" was going to be a sorta-kinda BC.

[WOLFC]
Members
6,101 posts
17,230 battles
51 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Well, in truth, the Novo had little choice but to sort of fill the role of battlecruiser.  It doesn't have big guns nor heavy armor.  And honestly, it seems like a stretch to turn a relatively lightly armed and armored tier 5 BB into an appropriately armed and armored tier 6 GC.  It seems to me that regardless of whether it was Italian or Russian, a tier 6 "GC" was going to be a sorta-kinda BC.

While there are a lot of battleships that have a “battlecruiser playstyle” (Hood, Scharnhorst, Dunkerque, etc) based on their speed/armor/armament, I was referring to the “battlecruiser” archetype that WG created starting with Slava/Champagne/Florida of battleships with superior dispersion at the cost of thinner extremity plating (which is otherwise standardized by tier for BBs). The tier VI GC that was in testing may have fit the “playstyle” archetype, but wouldn’t have fit the latter technical definition. The weaker extremity plating is especially noticeable on Novo given the large number of 12” and 14”-gunned BBs she sees that can overmatch her 16mm extremities (which is actually less than GC’s 19mm at tier V).

Edited by Nevermore135

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,340 posts
9,620 battles
On 1/31/2022 at 11:43 PM, maxirater said:

Hell no.  Tier VIII stomps on Tier VII worse than Tier X stomps on Tier VIII.  Your request would make Tier VII even worse than it is now.