Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ducky_shot

Baiting shots in smoke

13 comments in this topic

[BONKZ]
Privateers
8,023 posts
21,273 battles

Had a Yammy desperate to shoot at me in smoke and I was able to bait his shots out using a couple different tactics to make him miss and allowing me to get as much damage on him as possible.

And if the embed doesn't work: https://youtu.be/LfUYPe91G78

• Cool 2

[WOLFD]
Members
4,011 posts
6,423 battles
15 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Had a Yammy desperate to shoot at me in smoke and I was able to bait his shots out using a couple different tactics to make him miss and allowing me to get as much damage on him as possible.

And if the embed doesn't work: https://youtu.be/LfUYPe91G78

Is it something about UK cruisers in smoke that makes people want to waste shots? I put my Edinburgh in smoke last night and had a full 6 enemy ships sending volley after volley into it, even when they had WAY better things to be shooting at. The daft thing was I wasn't even in the smoke I was behind it, so all that incoming was literally completely useless.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles
3 minutes ago, Harathan said:

Is it something about UK cruisers in smoke that makes people want to waste shots? I put my Edinburgh in smoke last night and had a full 6 enemy ships sending volley after volley into it, even when they had WAY better things to be shooting at. The daft thing was I wasn't even in the smoke I was behind it, so all that incoming was literally completely useless.

It's because one good solid salvo, the RNCL is deleted.  A good number of ships in the RNCL Line are some of the squishiest Cruisers you'll see in the game.  I've deleted RNCLs that thought they were safe in smoke.  Tracers work both ways.  Gets even easier when you use Spotting Aircraft to elevate the POV and place the shots more easily.

I've been in both sides of this situation.  There are some BB players out there that are really good taking out Smoke Campers.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[BONKZ]
Privateers
8,023 posts
21,273 battles
5 minutes ago, Harathan said:

He knew I didn't have much health left. All he needed were a few pens or a citadel to kill me

[WOLFD]
Members
4,011 posts
6,423 battles
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It's because one good solid salvo, the RNCL is deleted.  A good number of ships in the RNCL Line are some of the squishiest Cruisers you'll see in the game.  I've deleted RNCLs that thought they were safe in smoke.  Tracers work both ways.  Gets even easier when you use Spotting Aircraft to elevate the POV and place the shots more easily.

I've been in both sides of this situation.  There are some BB players out there that are really good taking out Smoke Campers.

I get RN cruisers being squishy, I'm up to Edinburgh and Drake so I get it. And if they'd all just fired one volley into the smoke, realised they'd all missed and then moved on to a better target, I could've understood that. But this was sustained, prolonged firing into smoke, volley after volley. And I WASN'T shooting back so they weren't even aiming for where my shots were coming from. They were literally firing blindly into smoke, with no specific point to aim for, while under fire themselves from my teammates.

Edited by Harathan
  • Haha 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,448 posts
10,185 battles
28 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

I was able to bait his shots out using a couple different tactics to make him miss

Nice tip on firing just 1 turret, hadn't thought about that. Liked the intro too.

[WOLFD]
Members
4,011 posts
6,423 battles

6 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

He knew I didn't have much health left. All he needed were a few pens or a citadel to kill me

Yeah I guess. Plus he didn't have other incoming fire or anything better to shoot at.

[SALVO]
Members
16,448 posts
10,185 battles
22 minutes ago, Harathan said:

Is it something about UK cruisers in smoke that makes people want to waste shots?

With the spotter plane up is relatively easy to pinpoint the location of the CL and drop some shots on it. Their mobility is limited when in smoke so it isn't too hard to land some shots if RNG smiles upon you, nuking ships in smoke is one of the funniest trick to pull... it is worth the try. The Yammy in the video had its spotter up. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFD]
Members
4,011 posts
6,423 battles
6 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

With the spotter plane up is relatively easy to pinpoint the location of the CL and drop some shots on it. Their mobility is limited when in smoke so it isn't too hard to land some shots if RNG smiles upon you, nuking ships in smoke is one of the funniest trick to pull... it is worth the try. The Yammy in the video had its spotter up. 

Right. I get why the Yammy in the video was doing it. My example was apparently just folks really, really wanting to shoot my CL as a priority.

[SALVO]
Members
16,448 posts
10,185 battles
1 minute ago, Harathan said:

My example was apparently just folks really, really wanting to shoot my CL as a priority.

Maybe you were being too annoying :Smile_trollface:

[WOLFD]
Members
4,011 posts
6,423 battles
1 minute ago, ArIskandir said:

Maybe you were being too annoying :Smile_trollface:

I certainly wasn't a threat, have you seen my Edinburgh stats?

• Funny 1