You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Yesman1337

Wacky/Weird Ship Suggestions

33 comments in this topic

[EQV]
Members
314 posts
1,822 battles

These are suggestions for more fun or wonky looking ships. Not necessarily the most practical or famous, just some fun and odd designs/classes that could be fun one off ships in game.

USS Wolverine (CV) (Tier IV or VI)

Now I know it was a training carrier but something about a giant paddle wheel ship just seems downright hilarious. No real defensive armament of its own but as a CV I don't think it really requires any. The large paddle wheels actually worked decently enough with it reaching speeds of up to 28 knots. 

1280px-USS_Wolverine_%28IX-64%29_at_anchor_in_Lake_Michigan_%28USA%29_on_6_April_1943_%28NH_43517%29.jpg

Soviet Monitor Khasan

A sea going design for a monitor and surprisingly a Soviet ship that was actually built. Though they did scrap some feature from it along the way. The scout plane and its equipment never made it into the build and the 4th dual 130mm turret was removed and replaced with twin dual 76mm AA guns. However still a real steel ship and could easily fit in with some low/mid tier DD's as a sort of gunboat. The speed is a little slow at 17-18 knots but that can be adjusted slightly for gameplay reasons seeing other ships have had it done as well. Its surprisingly well armored as well with an 77mm belt and an ice breaker with 36mm of all around plating. The citadel behind that 77mm was only another 25 though it did get a 40mm main deck reducing down to 25 at the bow and stern. She would be a really tough little nut to crack. I can only imagine if they decide to add her as designed version where they managed to fit everything they wanted on her upping the gun count to 8x2 130mm and a spotting plane. As a monitor her gimmick could be incredible accuracy with her guns or something along those lines.

(I feel this ship has the best actual chance to make it in game) 

ru_bb_21.gif

<i>Khasan</i> 1943

HMS Abercrombie/Roberts

Could be a fun little slow and steady tier III ship or something. 2 380mm guns on a tiny ship along with it 4x2 100 dual purpose and healthy compliment of AA. Not exactly a speed demon (Only 15 knots) but then again at tier IV not much is. Give it a quick reload of 20 seconds or something and the proposed above monitor gimmick and see what it can do. Its also got a 130mm belt so go figure on that one.

HMS Abercrombie (F109).jpg

I have a few more weird ship designs and suggestions but I'll save them for a later date when I read up more on them.

[NGA-A]
Members
2,654 posts
17,764 battles

Meh, I'm just waiting for them to add armored cruisers with the option of switching between control the main guns and controlling the secondaries.

Members
402 posts
11,526 battles

Those are indeed wacky ships, especially the last one.  I'd pay t3 prices for one just for the lolz. 

[EQV]
Members
314 posts
1,822 battles
26 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Meh, I'm just waiting for them to add armored cruisers with the option of switching between control the main guns and controlling the secondaries.

I doubt we will ever receive true manual control over secondary armament. 

[NGA-A]
Members
2,654 posts
17,764 battles
2 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

Maybe. Maybe not. Who'd have ever thought we'd see craplike Ise, Tone, and Kearsarge as they are?

• Meh 1

[SPTR]
Members
28,224 posts
21,217 battles

i would also like to see a Roberts class monitor in game at some point.

preferrably at t6 with repulse's accuracy and the gun reload of 203mm armed cruisers at that tier to offset the single main battery.

[SALVO]
Members
16,451 posts
10,192 battles
1 hour ago, Yesman1337 said:

Soviet Monitor Khasan

it would be totally hilarious as an Armored DD (no citadel)... me likes.

HMS Abercrombie/Roberts

Indeed wacky design for a Cruiser, but interesting... me likes too.

Wacky propulsion system can make for a nice cosmetic but functionally has little to no impact on gameplay. Just another CV unless you give her an equally wacky air wing... blimps, autogiros. 

54 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

Oh you just need to mask it a bit... Primary/Secondary batteries could be pooled and given player control (would be still similar in number of barrels to any Dreadnought class design) while retaining tertiary batteries as automated. Primary battery could fall in line with torpedo or airstrikes functionality, a slow reloading "bonus" attack. Secondary battery would be your true "primary" gun set.

[EQV]
Members
314 posts
1,822 battles
1 hour ago, Rolkatsuki said:

i would also like to see a Roberts class monitor in game at some point.

preferrably at t6 with repulse's accuracy and the gun reload of 203mm armed cruisers at that tier to offset the single main battery.

I feel tier VI is too high considering it only has 2 main guns and is incredibly slow. Even if they are large and you make them dead accurate.

22 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

it would be totally hilarious as an Armored DD (no citadel)... me likes.

I agree

23 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Indeed wacky design for a Cruiser, but interesting... me likes too.

Technically its also a monitor 

23 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Wacky propulsion system can make for a nice cosmetic but functionally has little to no impact on gameplay. Just another CV unless you give her an equally wacky air wing... blimps, autogiros. 

Well yeah I guess so, but I picked it more for looks and uniqueness rather than any specific gameplay difference. The only thing you could really give it is a downside of your engines being super easily disabled. Maybe make it super stealth with how low it is and with its speed it could do something. 

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,799 posts
20,735 battles
2 hours ago, Yesman1337 said:

41 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

As its a training CV, you no longer can hit 'F' to return the planes to the CV. You must fly them back and land on the CV.

As for 'weird and wacky'

How about IJN Hiei or USS Wyoming only in their training ship configuration.

No armor, limited main battery and in Wyoming's case a mixed battery of guns (she ended WW2 with an assortment of 5 in mounts and various AA guns of all types.)

[NGA-A]
Members
2,654 posts
17,764 battles
1 minute ago, AVR_Project said:

Will need speed flags...

FortDrum.jpg

Ah the concrete battleship. Careful about showing your broadside in that.

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[EQV]
Members
314 posts
1,822 battles
7 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

As its a training CV, you no longer can hit 'F' to return the planes to the CV. You must fly them back and land on the CV.

You say that jokingly but I for one wouldn't mind that. The only question remains it what would happen with the rest of the squad unless it works like the RU CV's.

Members
3,352 posts
3,059 battles
10 hours ago, Yesman1337 said:

No real defensive armament of its own but as a CV I don't think it really requires any.

Uh...What's going to stop me from owning this thing with my planes if it has no AA?

[AK-49]
Members
644 posts
13,905 battles

Ah, the Wolverine. There is a certain attraction for a steam paddle CV for me...

[EQV]
Members
314 posts
1,822 battles
21 hours ago, black_hull4 said:

Uh...What's going to stop me from owning this thing with my planes if it has no AA?

Its auto deploying defensive fighters

Members
1,147 posts

No constructive suggestions to offer, but an appropriate ship name for a "weird" ship (once they resolve licensing issues): "Al Yankovic"  :Smile_hiding:

[-BCO-]
Members
3,981 posts
10,966 battles
On 1/31/2022 at 11:08 PM, HamAndCheez said:

My proposal for a Tier 1 aircraft carrier:

baylander-e1461173879711.jpg?w=2000&h=

060825-n-5328n-745.jpg

Wazz that?? A Moskvich ?

[-BCO-]
Members
3,981 posts
10,966 battles
On 1/31/2022 at 8:01 PM, Yesman1337 said:

Soviet Monitor Khasan

Tbh the class is actually looking good. There were some truly weird designs in the Ru/soviet riverine fleet...

Russian monitor Novgorod - Wikipedia

Angry Turtle gets a whole new meaning

MBK-class-gunboats-profile.jpg

And these are from our Danube flotilla in sevice.

r/Warthunder - Gaijin pls: Romanian, Austro-Hungarian, Polish and Soviet river monitors

And the original Furious. Armed with 2x1 18' guns. Yep Yammy wasn't the first

HMS_Furious-1.jpg

Edited by Bandi73

Members
3,352 posts
3,059 battles
57 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

Its auto deploying defensive fighters

Which will be shot down by my own fighter squadrons & out-turned by my dive bomber squadrons. I play World of Warplanes, do you really think some bot fighters are going to stop me?

34 minutes ago, Bandi73 said:

Yep Yammy wasn't the first

Yammy was first by 3 millimeters. :fish_book: That's actually why Musashi can overmatch more than Thunderer. 

• Funny 1

[-BCO-]
Members
3,981 posts
10,966 battles
26 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

Which will be shot down by my own fighter squadrons & out-turned by my dive bomber squadrons. I play World of Warplanes, do you really think some bot fighters are going to stop me?

:)

26 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

Yammy was first by 3 millimeters. :fish_book: That's actually why Musashi can overmatch more than Thunderer. 

Ain't that 18.1? Juust sayin.....

[EQV]
Members
314 posts
1,822 battles
3 hours ago, Bandi73 said:

HMS_Furious-1.jpg

I actually made a proposal for this ship separately a while back.

[EDEG]
Members
510 posts
14,717 battles

How about the HMS Lord Clive?

The_Surrender_of_the_German_High_Seas_Fl

Twin 12" in front, single 18" astern. On an unarmored hull 40 feet shorter than a Fletcher-class DD and displacing 1,000 tons less than an Atlanta. Shame about that 8kn top speed, and the inability to elevate her guns less than 13.5 degrees.

• Cool 1

[-BCO-]
Members
3,981 posts
10,966 battles
7 hours ago, Yesman1337 said:

I actually made a proposal for this ship separately a while back.

Yes indeed :) But the ship wasn't ugly per se, tho weird definitively is. Light cruiser  (armor wise) with  two 18' guns....lol.