You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bandi73

So......Weimar....

29 comments in this topic

[-BCO-]
Members
3,981 posts
10,966 battles

I'm interested in your opinions about this ship. I mean...yeah Narai but I'm interested how performs in PvP. Just because of one week I wouldn't purchase her, but upcoming ranked, asymmetrical battles + randoms so ..it could see some mileage. I really don't like the Yorck, mainly because of the horrible traverse and she seems to be based on that hull.

So what you think?

[NGA-A]
Members
2,654 posts
17,751 battles

She's still a pretty good tier VII ship on her own merits. It's not like she'd make a fantastic impression on the Scenario if she wasn't. I will confess that part of my motivation for getting the Sims way back when was because of how godlike it was in the Dunkirk Scenario (hint hint Wargaming).

[ID10T]
[ID10T]
Members
22 posts
3,868 battles

Its a ship that i seem to have fun playing without being able to pinpoint exactly why.  

Maybe that's just an indication of a reasonably balanced ship at its tier that jived with how I'm playing right now?

[WOLFC]
Members
6,097 posts
17,227 battles

The biggest reason I haven’t pick up Weimar is her terrible range (14km) combined with her typical German cruiser concealment (11.5km). That’s a terrible combination. Yes, she has access to a spotting aircraft to mitigate this a bit, but IMO that’s not enough given the very long reload time of the consumable. I don’t have confidence that a German CL with such a narrow safe engagement window (where you can stop firing and go dark) will be viable enough in PVP.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Members
1,159 posts
24,016 battles

She's fun. Effective even. If you don't come up against anyone who knows what they are doing. It requires very cautious kiting...

• Cool 1

[X-PN]
Members
3,836 posts
17,720 battles

Weimar is good....especially with Lutgens.  I will say because the concealment to range ratio is bad  that makes positioning more important, so higher skill floor than average.

If you really like Weimar it might be worthwhile to get eye in sky with spotting plane mod, but that means you would have to give up SE, SI or top gunner....

I share Lutgens with Hindy and Mainz so not doing that.

Edited by YouSatInGum

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,387 posts
29,449 battles
2 hours ago, Bandi73 said:

I'm interested in your opinions about this ship. I mean...yeah Narai but I'm interested how performs in PvP. Just because of one week I wouldn't purchase her, but upcoming ranked, asymmetrical battles + randoms so ..it could see some mileage. I really don't like the Yorck, mainly because of the horrible traverse and she seems to be based on that hull.

So what you think?

If you can play any light cruiser and abuse islands she is a great ship.

I didn't buy her, but ended up getting her in a Santa crate and was suprised at how much fun she can be for a potato like me.

[RLGN]
Members
19,141 posts
35,181 battles
1 minute ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

If you can play any light cruiser and abuse islands she is a great ship.

Like the ‘burgs, and the Omahas.

1 minute ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I didn't buy her, but ended up getting her in a Santa crate and was suprised at how much fun she can be for a potato like me.

Got one for Christmas.

Since I’m so completely clueless as to why everyone praises it so much, it’s been a yawner.

It’s a potential flake, and something that keeps it from dropping next year.

[-BCO-]
Members
3,981 posts
10,966 battles

Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions. After also watching some videos, I proceeded with the transaction. I mean...  next week is Narai week, so.... :Smile_smile:

Breaking with my habit I took her out in a random  for a first battle, as opposed to a coop which I would normally do, to get the hang of a ship.

image.thumb.png.9495c2dec5e34a9c114efff76a07e59f.png

image.thumb.png.f46d642a9eba958bb5713e605dab54f5.png

It is a fun ship. Also I take the opportunity to praise the team, they played very well.

• Cool 3

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
8,387 posts
29,449 battles
7 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Like the ‘burgs, and the Omahas.

Got one for Christmas.

Since I’m so completely clueless as to why everyone praises it so much, it’s been a yawner.

It’s a potential flake, and something that keeps it from dropping next year.

Idk, maybe try a 21 point captain in her and abuse that 1/4 pen he damage?

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts
11 hours ago, Bandi73 said:

So what you think?

She is strictly a NARAI ship. I bought her specifically for NARAI. I used the B day coupon and I think one of the red ship coupons as well. (Doubleloon purchase from dollars) So I got her for a very very good price.

She can do coop, but gets focused by all the bots fast and hard.

Forget taking her into PvP. Wont last 5 seconds. With that said, Weimar is a Scharn stuffed into a Petite Package with all the fat chopped off.

Edited by xHeavy

[DAMP]
In AlfaTesters, In AlfaTesters
2,688 posts
14,166 battles

Kinda squishy for PVP but in COOP and Scenarios it is a boss. Oh and nice seeing you in scenario last night @Bandi73

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
1,079 posts
14,757 battles

I think Munchen is the better choice of the two but hear that Weimar is pretty decent. Get one or the other but not both.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
19,141 posts
35,181 battles
4 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Idk, maybe try a 21 point captain in her and abuse that 1/4 pen he damage?

Don't think I actually have one for KM.

Think I have maybe three total? (One IJN, two USN.) Mostly because there hasn't seemed any point to spending the E-xp to make more.

Talking about the 1/4 HE pen damage is meaningless to me.

I shoot HE; things blow up.

If one group of ship's HE is any better than another group's, I have no conscious recognition of it being so.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles

Last I saw on Maplesyrup before the site went kaput, both Munchen and Weimar were on par with each other statistically in PVP, and both above what was average for VII Light Cruisers.

RIP Maplesyrup

2015-2021

[-BCO-]
Members
3,981 posts
10,966 battles
7 hours ago, Fodder4U said:

Kinda squishy for PVP but in COOP and Scenarios it is a boss. Oh and nice seeing you in scenario last night @Bandi73

Hi :) And with a better Cv it would have been much more enjoyable :)

• Cool 1

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
8,387 posts
29,449 battles
12 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Don't think I actually have one for KM.

Think I have maybe three total? (One IJN, two USN.) Mostly because there hasn't seemed any point to spending the E-xp to make more.

Talking about the 1/4 HE pen damage is meaningless to me.

I shoot HE; things blow up.

If one group of ship's HE is any better than another group's, I have no conscious recognition of it being so.

German HE gets a built in bonus of 1/4 pen. I believe it's on guns 90mm or larger.

So this means, besides setting fires, your doing more raw penetration damage. 

Thus German HE melts and burns ships faster than other nations that may require IFHE to do any HE damage.

Kitty, haragumo & Daring also get this special bonus.

An easy way to see how much pen your HE has is to click on guns in port and look at the HE pen value listed. If most ships you face can be pen at deck then your golden, otherwise you have to decide on 50% less fires by adding IFHE, or just accept lower damage numbers and hope to set tons of fires.

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts
14 hours ago, handybilly said:

I think Munchen is the better choice of the two but hear that Weimar is pretty decent. Get one or the other but not both.

I own both.

I stick a 21 captian in them. Weimar is the more effective ship.

Munchen is so small and tiny. Essentially chum in the ocean full of sharks. However when carefully played she can get some good hits in. There are many situations in which Munchen's guns are too small. Tapping and making annoying noises on the enemy ship. Thats where the Weimar came in to play and actually hurt the same enemies.

But my love is with the Scharnhorst. Look forward to putting a 21 point Gunther in her where he belongs. I have him at 18 now. Considering a 400 dollar spend to whale the rest of the levels to 21.

[X-PN]
Members
3,836 posts
17,720 battles
48 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

I own both.

Munchen is so small and tiny. Essentially chum in the ocean full of sharks. However when carefully played she can get some good hits in. There are many situations in which Munchen's guns are too small. Tapping and making annoying noises on the enemy ship. Thats where the Weimar came in to play and actually hurt the same enemies.

Munchen's DPM is actually a tad higher than Weimar.  Muchen's shells have more arc, but that can actually be an advantage as Munchen's playbook is similar to Atlanta's, where as Weimar is more of a traditional kiter.  Weimar's AP pen is also much better.
They are both good ships and both are worth having since their play styles are fairly different.  OF

1 hour ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Kitty, haragumo & Daring also get this special bonus.

KM 150mm guns pen 38mm... which is the deck armor of quite a few BBs.

Daring does not get any special pen.... it's 113mm used to have to take IFHE to damage DDs.... fortunately it's not needed since IFHE rework.... one of the few positives from that. 

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

You are right about the Munchen's shell ballistics. That arc comes in handy sometimes when faced with terrain.

Ive learned to favor the flat shooting guns. I had been sickened by some of the US DD's arcs that are essentially planetary in nature. FIRE a batch and wait 5 minutes for results.

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
8,387 posts
29,449 battles
2 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

Munchen's DPM is actually a tad higher than Weimar.  Muchen's shells have more arc, but that can actually be an advantage as Munchen's playbook is similar to Atlanta's, where as Weimar is more of a traditional kiter.  Weimar's AP pen is also much better.
They are both good ships and both are worth having since their play styles are fairly different.  OF

KM 150mm guns pen 38mm... which is the deck armor of quite a few BBs.

Daring does not get any special pen.... it's 113mm used to have to take IFHE to damage DDs.... fortunately it's not needed since IFHE rework.... one of the few positives from that. 

The ijn 100 mm and Darings 113's were buffed artificially to enable players to forgo IFHE since the IFHE NERF. 

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles
1 hour ago, NashW8 said:

Trouble with either right now is that everyone focuses on you.

That's natural, everyone is looking for Cruisers to multi-citadel and delete, and by "everyone" I mean, the most populous ship type in the game:  Battleships.  Even Heavy Cruisers and Super Cruisers are looking for squishy Light Cruisers to delete.  As Tier VII CL, she'll see Alaska with her 305mm AP shells that have special USN CA AP bounce angles.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ARGSY]
Members
1,079 posts
14,757 battles
6 hours ago, xHeavy said:

I own both.

But my love is with the Scharnhorst. Look forward to putting a 21 point Gunther in her where he belongs. I have him at 18 now. Considering a 400 dollar spend to whale the rest of the levels to 21.

Don't blow your money. I know how impatient you can get. I have him at 19 working on 20. But he is still deadly at that level. I just keep rotating through my German premiums and he is getting there. 

[-BCO-]
Members
3,981 posts
10,966 battles

So....I played a Narai run with her  ..

image.thumb.png.789879782f27d59d860af0d05a10d281.png

....aand.....it is kinda mixed bag. In order to play her "efficiently" one 'have" to give up on playing team. I chose to go transports (which I usually don't do  and promptly was robbed from the final kill by a New Orleans :cap_haloween:) and I refused to give up on trying to help the team ( I sunk the dd spawning with the Omaha) which meant that I was a bit late  (by Weimar standards) in the spawn.

It is a bit sluggish for Narai, at least for my taste. Idk.....I think I'm not gonna "exploit" her there as much as it is possible.