Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Darkshadow86

Is there a way to prevent close matches?

14 comments in this topic

[-DS-]
Beta Testers
224 posts
1,275 battles

I noticed that often as a CV, I could have circumstances where it can be potent. For example, I can ammo wrack ships and destroy ships that want a solo experience. 

[Changed Title to: "Is there a way to prevent close matches?" instead of (Is there a way to prevent blowouts?"

1586293544_Screenshot(39).thumb.png.116caf5c2bddb5261a305ff3a8c5b0cf.png

But even with all this power, there isn't anything I can do to prevent an entire section of my team from collapsing. At first, I asked myself, "If I increased my skill would that change the outcome?... But, Nah, allied players still need to aim well and not die."

I still intend to become a better player. When I do my hiatus, naturally, my skill drops from when I left, but it does eventually improve quickly than it was previously. But is there anything I can do to stop these blowouts that I'm just not seeing? 

1436195675_Screenshot(41).thumb.png.3e59d7e664bf7344f3dab69f1fddcc1e.png

1712765605_Screenshot(42).thumb.png.8b3d4afa494d090a42a92c88a7e53c41.png

Screenshot (40).png

Screenshot (43).png

Edited by Darkshadow86
Changing title to something more accurate.
  • Boring 2

[P_P]
Members
500 posts

err... i wouldn't call that a blow out

my understanding of a blowout or stomp is.... a win or loss where the winning team has only lost 2-3 ships

the game you have posted looks like it would have been fun

[-TKS-]
Members
1,706 posts
16,775 battles

Your definition of blowout may be different then mine. Blowout to me is the game ending sub 10 minutes. A Joke is the game ending sub 7 minutes.

Edited by Merc_R_Us

Members
3,366 posts
3,065 battles
12 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

A Joke is the game ending sub 7 minutes.

A joke to me is the enemy team not being able to stop my CV from running rampant in their spawn area. Pre-nerf Hosho had me doing this a lot, sometimes when there were still enemy BBs left. Ryujo's AA firepower in Randoms makes it even better.

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
33 minutes ago, Darkshadow86 said:

I noticed that often as a CV, I could have circumstances where it can be potent. For example, I can ammo wrack ships and destroy ships that want a solo experience. 

1586293544_Screenshot(39).thumb.png.116caf5c2bddb5261a305ff3a8c5b0cf.png

But even with all this power, there isn't anything I can do to prevent an entire section of my team from collapsing. At first, I asked myself, "If I increased my skill would that change the outcome?... But, Nah, allied players still need to aim well and not die."

I still intend to become a better player. When I do my hiatus, naturally, my skill drops from when I left, but it does eventually improve quickly than it was previously. But is there anything I can do to stop these blowouts that I'm just not seeing? 

1436195675_Screenshot(41).thumb.png.3e59d7e664bf7344f3dab69f1fddcc1e.png

1712765605_Screenshot(42).thumb.png.8b3d4afa494d090a42a92c88a7e53c41.png

Screenshot (40).png

Screenshot (43).png

Sorry OP... Your title is misleading.. I dont see a blowout... I see a well fought game in where you fell short...

Its no different from me in a Kami  (for example) getting

• Double strike
  • DEV strike
  • 110k of DMG

Be tops of the board and still lose... In these games, I would be happy that the other side put up a fight till the end.. Put up the courage and to muster up strength to overcome your production..

Just because you produced a good chunk for the win... Its not a guarantee to end in a win.. That is the point in Random battles...

Its that what we want??? A game hard fought to the end instead of the current boring meta.. The meta of throwing rocks from two caps away at each other and being passive...

You can win with 0 DMG, 0 kils OR you can lose with 8 kills...

From the pics provided... Its NOT even close to a bow out... Its a hard fought lost...

Edited by Navalpride33

[X-PN]
Members
3,853 posts
17,745 battles

The most common blowout condition usually occur when 2 or 3 ships on one flank die close to the beginning of the match.  This starts a snowball effect of where one flank is annihilated and then even if the other side is holding they end up being "flanked."  A bad blowout is when it happens to both sides at the same time. 

Of course this can happen to any team regardless of player skill, it will tend to happen more when you have players that are inexperienced or are not good at reading the mini map and make major tactical mistakes (sailing broadside while spotted) or make really bad decisions like continuing to push into a numerically superior enemy with no support.  I see it all the time and often will try to warn the player in chat that they need to turn around ASAP.... 4/5 times they don't and are usually dead in the next minute or two. 

When a flank collapses like that.... a team can recover but the most common recovery condition is for remaining ships on the losing flank to recognize it and kite away while using their best tools to inflict damage on pushing ships.  The idea being to slow them down enough for the other side to prevail and you weaken the pushing side enough that at the end your winning side will combine with you. 

I find these types of comebacks very satisfying, but unfortunately are too rare since most players are either too slow to recognize (or never do) what is going on, and don't turn around or take other steps to keep themselves alive longer.

[-DS-]
Beta Testers
224 posts
1,275 battles
12 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Sorry OP... Your title is misleading.. I dont see a blowout... I see a well fought game in where you fell short...

Its no different from me in a Kami  (for example) getting

• Double strike
  • DEV strike
  • 110k of DMG

Be tops of the board and still lose... In these games, I would be happy that the other side put up a fight till the end.. Put up the courage and to muster up strength to overcome your production..

Just because you produced a good chunk for the win... Its not a guarantee to end in a win.. That is the point in Random battles...

Its that what we want??? A game hard fought to the end instead of the current boring meta.. The meta of throwing rocks from two caps away at each other and being passive...

You can win with 0 DMG, 0 kils OR you can lose with 8 kills...

From the pics provided... Its NOT even close to a bow out... Its a hard fought lost...

Yea, you're probably right. I keep gettings these annoying tug of war matches. I don't know if that's good or bad. For example, this match I just experienced I maybe could have won, but my positioning got me killed, and one of our last BB got killed trying to brawl with a german BB that torped him. Oh, and fun banter in chat from a salty enemy that I told him to get warmed since we're battling in the tundra and he blew up lol. 

262497412_Screenshot(46).thumb.png.868083da6d4eb0b4c12eda75eb76600a.png

669200439_Screenshot(51).thumb.png.a8591f96409f89e156aefe1ae7b7fdef.png

794709544_Screenshot(52).thumb.png.5e6a86887c05bb024244925d9afc1bc0.png

1689439760_Screenshot(53).thumb.png.d066d271ec9fb7774cc709f339234b5c.png

[-DS-]
Beta Testers
224 posts
1,275 battles
32 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

The most common blowout condition usually occur when 2 or 3 ships on one flank die close to the beginning of the match.  This starts a snowball effect of where one flank is annihilated and then even if the other side is holding they end up being "flanked."  A bad blowout is when it happens to both sides at the same time. 

Of course this can happen to any team regardless of player skill, it will tend to happen more when you have players that are inexperienced or are not good at reading the mini map and make major tactical mistakes (sailing broadside while spotted) or make really bad decisions like continuing to push into a numerically superior enemy with no support.  I see it all the time and often will try to warn the player in chat that they need to turn around ASAP.... 4/5 times they don't and are usually dead in the next minute or two. 

When a flank collapses like that.... a team can recover but the most common recovery condition is for remaining ships on the losing flank to recognize it and kite away while using their best tools to inflict damage on pushing ships.  The idea being to slow them down enough for the other side to prevail and you weaken the pushing side enough that at the end your winning side will combine with you. 

I find these types of comebacks very satisfying, but unfortunately are too rare since most players are either too slow to recognize (or never do) what is going on, and don't turn around or take other steps to keep themselves alive longer.

Right, but to add to what I meant by blowout, my team gets blown away to where it's like 3v3. And, I'm thinking, "Wow, this makes games so much harder to win..." For example, this match I just had almost could've been a loss, but the enemy DD was reading a magazine or something, and I was determined to win. So, I want to prevent situations from getting that bad, which is why I call it a blowout.

569063138_Screenshot(54).thumb.png.618c0c2597ab104762dffa2dd846e558.png

1944470041_Screenshot(55).thumb.png.5755bb48a3ba88c77f4b0ead60211835.png635439502_Screenshot(56).thumb.png.f4d8e6005ea19ea930e7cb6bb439c564.png

461705138_Screenshot(57).thumb.png.a5e50861123667e32d8ead96e5d80454.png

That 2nd screenshot could be someone's wallpaper lol.

[RLGN]
Members
19,167 posts
35,208 battles
18 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

No - no way to prevent it.  Statistically it WILL happen - period.

Best way to prevent a blowout?

Play Co-op.

1 hour ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Your definition of blowout may be different then mine. Blowout to me is the game ending sub 10 minutes. A Joke is the game ending sub 7 minutes.

What’s really sad is when a Co-op team manages to get stomped by bots.

Not so much lately, but I used to see it a lot back in RTS days.

[X-PN]
Members
3,853 posts
17,745 battles
4 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Best way to prevent a blowout?

Play Co-op.

I think the bots would disagree...

• Haha 1

[WOLFG]
Members
17,141 posts
20,565 battles
2 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

I think the bots would disagree...

The bot side of the forum is filled with blowout complaint threads.

• Haha 1

Beta Testers
1,255 posts
17,554 battles

I don't understand OP. Close matches are the best type of match and you will get more damage/kills in them in your CV.

A blowout, where the opposing team melts very quickly, will not get you much as a CV.

What do you actually want? A blowout match where only you get to polish your epeen and no-one else get's to do anything?

[-DS-]
Beta Testers
224 posts
1,275 battles
38 minutes ago, hexeris said:

I don't understand OP. Close matches are the best type of match and you will get more damage/kills in them in your CV.

A blowout, where the opposing team melts very quickly, will not get you much as a CV.

What do you actually want? A blowout match where only you get to polish your epeen and no-one else get's to do anything?

Sorry for the confusion. I've noticed there is a substantial uptick in threads about matches being one-sided, and I'm like, "Dang, that sounds exciting to be on the winning side of that. I'll log on and give it a try." Well, I log on, and I'm playing, and every match consists of, "We'll fight you till the last breath!" "You won't have this cap unless you pull it from my cold sea salt-covered hands." Where are all these one-sided matches I've heard about? So, every match is a hard-fought victory or a hard-fought loss instead of a blowout. So I must be missing something, or the common denominator is that I'm always one of the last few alive.

Example topic of what I'm referring to:

Well, that is odd. I can't locate the other forum topics that were adamantly discussing MM. There were many of them, but now I can't find them. Anyway, I want a one-sided victory because if you constantly have close matches, that means that both sides are of similar skill, which isn't a bad thing; it is good. But where is that sudden thrill of, "At the start of the match, we already knew we won." Instead, every match feels like a chess match, and in every battle, you have to find a flaw fix it so that you can do better for the next fight. This constant requirement for improvement feels like I'm playing a ranked matchmaker. All matches recently felt like there wasn't a single goofer; everyone was acting sweaty and trying everything they could to win. I'm not sure if it's because a CV is there, so people feel they need to try or the CV will slap them, but it is odd. 

Sorry, this is a bit rambly since it's hard to pinpoint the problem. You usually want a equal opponent to improve your skill, which gives you reasons to question yourself. But right now, every battle feels ranked instead of casual, if you get what I mean. The problem could just be me since I'm competitive when I want to be.

Victories should feel like this:

Who is the first NFL coach to get Gatorade dumped on him?

But instead, they feel like a close match which is along the lines of:

When you carry your team... | Funny gaming memes, Rainbow six siege memes,  Funny games