You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ahskance

Feedback on Arms Race... What did you think?

25 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,604 posts
16,522 battles

We had the Arms Race mode active a while back with our re-designed buffs.  Looking back, what'd ya think?

Let me know your thoughts below, please <3

• Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,450 posts
10,185 battles

Arms Race is entertaining and of course it is different, that's always a plus... having said that, I enjoyed it a lot less last time in Randoms than when it was available on Ranked format (smaller teams).

The increase in power had he tendency to escalate into steamrolls, very quickly, very reliably. I dare say the majority of matches were effectively one sided affairs, I struggle to remember many close, hard fought matches, most were stomps. Sadly I don't see this working as a regular addition to high tier Randoms but could be an interesting twist for low-mid tiers. 

• Thanks 1

[GT3]
Members
320 posts
10,153 battles

as a standalone game mode i found it enjoyable and would like to see it return again, but not in randoms.

a tier 6-7 version would be neat.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[PAT]
Members
1,258 posts
15,083 battles

I enjoyed it less than the initial ranked sprint iteration. I was not a fan of the elimination of maneuverability-related buffs. I want to say that the healing buffs were also toned down, which seemed like it may have contributed to more steamrolls.

While I enjoyed both versions more than epicenter or standard battles, I'm not sure I would want to see it come to the normal random battle rotation. The ability for the buffs to distort stats, as well as potentially game balance, makes it feel more appropriate as a dedicated mode or a temporary event/sprint mode.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[SALVO]
Members
28,053 posts
41,651 battles
1 hour ago, Mego_Splat said:

as a standalone game mode i found it enjoyable and would like to see it return again, but not in randoms.

a tier 6-7 version would be neat.

Why not in randoms?

I'd like to see it as an alternate battle mode, like Standard or Domination or Epicenter battle modes.

People have complained about a lack of new battle modes.  Well, here's a decent enough battle mode and IMO it's an entirely acceptable battle mode to include as an alternative in randoms.

Members
2,100 posts

not for ranks it has built in manipulation and outside interference written all over it ... the white fog that shows up as toilet paper rolls  detracts from spotting also .. but in any other mode it seems to be fine ...

this would be fine in randoms..

plus as fast as some ranked games go there isnt enough time..a total waste for ranks

Edited by arch4random
no reason

[STRM]
Beta Testers
641 posts

I  had fun in it, they went a lot faster than randoms, it was nice to have a mode where I can level up my ships with no stress. 

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,286 battles

The only time that I’ve enjoyed Arms Race is when it served as the basis for Rogue Wave. Please bring Rogue Wave back, it’s pretty much the only WoWs “special event” game type that I’ve actually wanted to go back to after the fact. 

[MOPAR]
Members
256 posts
4,582 battles
2 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

The only time that I’ve enjoyed Arms Race is when it served as the basis for Rogue Wave. Please bring Rogue Wave back, it’s pretty much the only WoWs “special event” game type that I’ve actually wanted to go back to after the fact. 

Yeah, rogue wave was truly awesome. I got like 4 of my friends to play with me because of how much fun it was. They keep asking me when it's coming back lol. Sadly I keep telling them probably never.

[WOLFG]
Members
1,503 posts

I enjoyed Arms race.  That said, it should not take the place or be placed in Random.  It should be its own mode made available for those who want it.  That assumes that WG doesn't decided to implement it with half the payouts it had in the past.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[5D3]
Members
1,542 posts
11 hours ago, Ahskance said:

We had the Arms Race mode active a while back with our re-designed buffs.  Looking back, what'd ya think?

I like it. I love it. Arms Race mode was a breath of fresh air. Players I encountered no longer camped, nor gave up their ships quickly. Battles were sufficiently long, not lopsided ones that are so notoriously common in Random Battles. 

I think the re-designed buffs have been well designed and implemented. From what I've seen, it forced campers to support DDs. It gave DDs a more pronounced obligation to strike a balance between getting buffs and then going dark. Battleships brawled like there's no tomorrow. 

It was simply fun; I even stopped playing Co-op because I found Arms Race a way better experience than facing bots. Best part of that Arms Race mode was that there was no win rate to think about. My 42.6% win rate won't suffer. LOL. As far as stats were concerned it was the Base XP I made after each game that mattered to me. 

I hope WG brings Arms Race back again.

• Cool 2

Members
869 posts
9,489 battles

Would not be opposed to it being an alternate battle mode for Randoms.  But, really, why couldn't it be it's own mode, like Brawls, etc.  What about Arms Race, but with tier 2-4 ships for fun.  Can't be that hard to adjust the tiers and economics as needed.

Edited by Valas1

[PVE]
Beta Testers
23 posts
6,723 battles

Don't like playing randoms, but Arms Race was pretty fun. The buffs increased the casual feel of it, which I enjoyed a ton. Would definitely play it again if it came out as it's own mode.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,450 posts
10,185 battles
4 hours ago, Hukom said:

Battles were sufficiently long, not lopsided ones that are so notoriously common in Random Battles. 

I disagree. That was not at all my experience. Arms Race turn into steamrolls at a much higher frequency than Randoms. Once a team gets the "buff" advantage, reversing the result becomes a very unlikely event.

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Thanks 3

[NWO-1]
Volunteer Moderator
438 posts
7,566 battles

I liked it much better then Randoms. Their was much less hiding in the back and behind islands. I don't play Randoms or Ranked, but I did Arms Race.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[5D3]
Members
1,542 posts
4 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

I disagree. That was not at all my experience. Arms Race turn into steamrolls at a much higher frequency than Randoms. Once a team gets the "buff" advantage, reversing the result becomes a very unlikely event.

That's sad. That was never my experience during the entire duration of Arms Race. Let's hope the next iteration will be better.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
399 posts
3,043 battles
18 hours ago, Fighter835 said:

I  had fun in it, they went a lot faster than randoms, it was nice to have a mode where I can level up my ships with no stress. 

13 hours ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

I enjoyed Arms race.  That said, it should not take the place or be placed in Random.  It should be its own mode made available for those who want it.  That assumes that WG doesn't decided to implement it with half the payouts it had in the past.

12 hours ago, Hukom said:

I like it. I love it. Arms Race mode was a breath of fresh air. Players I encountered no longer camped, nor gave up their ships quickly. Battles were sufficiently long, not lopsided ones that are so notoriously common in Random Battles. 

I think the re-designed buffs have been well designed and implemented. From what I've seen, it forced campers to support DDs. It gave DDs a more pronounced obligation to strike a balance between getting buffs and then going dark. Battleships brawled like there's no tomorrow. 

It was simply fun; I even stopped playing Co-op because I found Arms Race a way better experience than facing bots. Best part of that Arms Race mode was that there was no win rate to think about. My 42.6% win rate won't suffer. LOL. As far as stats were concerned it was the Base XP I made after each game that mattered to me. 

I hope WG brings Arms Race back again.

7 hours ago, macmonster said:

Don't like playing randoms, but Arms Race was pretty fun. The buffs increased the casual feel of it, which I enjoyed a ton. Would definitely play it again if it came out as it's own mode.

3 hours ago, MollyGodiva said:

I liked it much better then Randoms. Their was much less hiding in the back and behind islands. I don't play Randoms or Ranked, but I did Arms Race.

2 hours ago, _Ironhorse_ said:

I actually thought Arms Race rocked - I believe it is the best game mode by far.

200.gif.9f540ad14dd661bf002147ad377a62f0.gif

7 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

You can't disagree with someone else's experience you can only state your own ....  it's literally  "Their " experience.

Edited by SeaCat_
  • Cool 2

Members
1,147 posts
On 1/28/2022 at 3:09 PM, ArIskandir said:

Arms Race is entertaining and of course it is different, that's always a plus... having said that, I enjoyed it a lot less last time in Randoms than when it was available on Ranked format (smaller teams).

The increase in power had he tendency to escalate into steamrolls, very quickly, very reliably. I dare say the majority of matches were effectively one sided affairs, I struggle to remember many close, hard fought matches, most were stomps. Sadly I don't see this working as a regular addition to high tier Randoms but could be an interesting twist for low-mid tiers. 

^^^ This.

I enjoyed it for a few days, but then got tired of it. One of its big advantages was that statistics weren't tracked, but that of course wouldn't be the case, if it became a variant in Random. So as an occasional special mode it has a novelty factor, as a random variant it's not particularly good.

On that note perhaps WG ought to reconsider Epicenter as well. I see it far too often and it's one of the most uninteresting Random variants there is.

• Cool 1

[SRBL]
Members
716 posts
20,966 battles
On 1/28/2022 at 5:50 PM, Ahskance said:

My Benham really enjoyed it. 

[X-PN]
Members
3,836 posts
17,720 battles

I really enjoyed it.....as a separate mode of course.  If it is forced into randoms, many will not appreciate that.

The blowouts happened slightly more often than reg random but had many good hard fought ones too....

I would suggest adding some mechanics to try to aid the losing side.... maybe make it if one side is losing by 200 points or more make additional buffs appear in that team's spawn.  Also I would randomize the initial buffs more.... the match was often decided in the opening moments in the mad dash to the buffs in the middle where it was common for one side to lose 2 or 3 dds in the first 3 min.

[PVE]
Members
10,596 posts
32,060 battles

Best mode ever (tied w/Bastion anyway...just nerf the damned forts & bring Bastion back already dammit).

As an occasional random mode option it won't break anything...

& if I know WG the onky reason they hacevyou asking is because they intend to release it in random anyway...& they just wanna see at least 2 players here agree so they can say...

"Players asked for it...& here it is"...even if 99.9% of players say they don't want it it only takes 2 to make a plural...

& I have no problem being 1 of those 2.

But:

On 1/28/2022 at 10:18 PM, SkaerKrow said:

Please bring Rogue Wave back

^^^This...most emphatically this.

Definitely the best version of Arms Race there was.

• Cool 1