You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
alorec

remove karma system

52 comments in this topic

[LOBST]
Members
3 posts
4,539 battles

please remove the karma system.

1) it's officially stated it doesn't do anything, so therefore it is meaningless to start with. it doesn't matter if you have 7 or 11 votes. 
2) it does NOTHING to "improve the community", because it has no affect on the player or the game. it isn't used to stratify players into tiers for matchmaking, for instance.
3) it's infuriating to play a good game, do everything you are supposed to do, and get negative karma at the end of it from a spiteful player. how is this helping the community or player?
4) if, for some asinine reason it will not be removed, then allow players to hide it. if it does nothing, then being able to hide it will have no negative impact.

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 5

Wiki Editor
275 posts
8,136 battles

1) If it doesnt do anything then why do you care. Seeing as it doesnt matter, why are you getting angry about it?

2) Same as 1)

3) Unless you are playing aircraft carrier, 80% of the times you get reported means you played badly. People don't report others willy nilly. This is why better players usually have 100+ or 1000+ karma. 

4) You can hide it for yourself, there is a mod in Aslains that allows you to do that.

• Cool 5
  • Meh 6

Members
54 posts
18,416 battles

fyi   # 1  if you use all your comps  each day you will be rewarded with 50 community tokens so there's that.

secondly  i agree with above person why do you care what people think  play your game have fun if you cant do that  delete the game .

3rd  i like the ability   to complement   anyone  that says thanks  after wishing them fair winds  or saves my butt in a game {that happens alot the way i play }.

even if it dint reward you with anything  it still not meaningless   1 it gives you a idea  of your play  even if you don't like what  your peers  say.  also  giving someone  a complement   is a  good way to make friends  but from the post i am sure you don't care about that  but some people do  good luck .

• Cool 1
  • Meh 4

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,523 battles

Why do you care so much if it doesn’t matter?

And it does serve a purpose. Compliments let people know you liked their gameplay. Reports give people a harmless way to vent. Angry players can mash report and feel better, remove that and they may start sending more PMs in game or tickets to WG.

The karma system isn’t perfect, but when it comes to the list of things in WOWS that need dev attention it’s pretty much on the bottom.

• Meh 2

[O_O]
Members
7,895 posts
22,089 battles
1 hour ago, alorec said:

3) it's infuriating to play a good game, do everything you are supposed to do, and get negative karma at the end of it from a spiteful player. how is this helping the community or player?

So, because YOU don't like it, you don't think ANYONE should have it?  That is pretty self-centered thinking, is it not?  What if another player does like it?  Tough ta-ta's, because ALOREC doesn't?!?

I am dubious of your "do everything you are supposed to do, and get negative karma at the end of it" claim.  I keep my negative comments to myself for the most part, and am never vulgar or insulting, and I have +390.  Maybe check your behavior in game a little closer.

23 minutes ago, nolbp said:

fyi   # 1  if you use all your comps  each day you will be rewarded with 50 community tokens so there's that.

Wait, what???  How long has this been a thing?  :fish_book:

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Meh 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,488 posts
29,211 battles
6 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I am dubious of your "do everything you are supposed to do, and get negative karma at the end of it" claim.  I keep my negative comments to myself for the most part, and am never vulgar or insulting, and I have +390.  Maybe check your behavior in game a little closer.

6 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Wait, what???  How long has this been a thing?

Ditto on both points.

Edited by Warped_1
  • Meh 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,729 posts
26,569 battles

If it was truly meaningless this thread wouldn't need to exist.

• Cool 1

Members
54 posts
18,416 battles

its recent thing  i heard   1 or 2 streams ago  i don't know how long it has been in effect  but upon hearing this  i have been rewarded  a few times already doing this .i know its not alot but its something  i am not looking a gift horse in the mouth .

[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,045 posts

Mine only goes down when I tell people what they are doing wrong.

• Cool 1

[_EASY]
Members
311 posts
22,100 battles

I have actually been down voted and was told it was because I had not saved him a bote to sink...  Smh...

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
17,121 posts
20,520 battles
56 minutes ago, nolbp said:

Is this like every time you do it?

I'm about to become a nicer person.

Edited by DrHolmes52
  • Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
17,121 posts
20,520 battles
18 minutes ago, MWSVette1 said:

I have actually been down voted and was told it was because I had not saved him a bote to sink...  Smh...

You get down votes at times for seeming no reason.

• Cool 1

Members
54 posts
18,416 battles

You have to use all of them in order to receive the  ct   so yes every day you get 7 to 11   chances to be a nicer person  :)

[_EASY]
Members
311 posts
22,100 battles
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Yep, many times.  That fella however messaged me and told me I should have saved him a bote to sink. I then promptly asked him, "is there a ribbon for that?"....

[WOLFG]
Members
17,121 posts
20,520 battles
Just now, MWSVette1 said:

Yep, many times.  That fella however messaged me and told me I should have saved him a bote to sink. I then promptly asked him, "is there a ribbon for that?"....

He see's you again, you're probably getting another down vote.

Of course, with the reason he gave you, his :etc_swear: is probably so long he can't remember who's on it.

• Cool 1

[_EASY]
Members
311 posts
22,100 battles
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

He see's you again, you're probably getting another down vote.

Of course, with the reason he gave you, his :etc_swear: is probably so long he can't remember who's on it.

I have over 750 so I can afford a couple I suppose...  Lol...

• Cool 1

[_EASY]
Members
311 posts
22,100 battles
6 minutes ago, nolbp said:

You have to use all of them in order to receive the  ct   so yes every day you get 7 to 11   chances to be a nicer person  :)

Not sure I can be nice 11 times a day....

• Funny 1

[CO-OP]
Members
5,205 posts
43,308 battles
1 hour ago, nolbp said:

I hadn't heard this before.  That can add up to 1/4 of a super container each month.

[WHARF]
Members
847 posts
22,503 battles
3 hours ago, alorec said:

1) it's officially stated it doesn't do anything, so therefore it is meaningless to start with. it doesn't matter if you have 7 or 11 votes. 
2) it does NOTHING to "improve the community", because it has no affect on the player or the game. it isn't used to stratify players into tiers for matchmaking, for instance.
4) if, for some asinine reason it will not be removed, then allow players to hide it. if it does nothing, then being able to hide it will have no negative impact.

its so players can blow off some steam....works fine.....its means nothing

[REQ]
[REQ]
Members
51 posts
14,581 battles
3 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I've gotten down votes several times for playing my Smolensk--in coop. I guess, just because it's a Smolensk.

Before somebody asks, I play it no better or worse than I play any other CL in coop, and don't get down votes playing them.

[PVE]
Members
17,085 posts
39,296 battles
5 hours ago, alorec said:

With respect I disagree. I think the karma system provides an outlet for players to vent when needed (not always warranted but still serves a purpose) and it is also a great way to say well done to a teammate or even an opponent who did well. I just had a Random game in DOY where I got trapped on a flank that collapsed and 3 red BB's came steamrolling along and wrecked me as I tried to cover our last DD and a Cruiser that were there. The DD got away but the Cruiser and I didn't LOL. The collapse by us wasn't "bad play" it was just good play by the red BB's who shot and angled better than we did early on. 2 of our BB's and our CV came over and swung the flank back for us and we won. I gave +1's to those 3 teammates as well as the 3 red BB's. They all played well. 

Yesterday (maybe day before?) I gave negative karma out to a player who in 2 different games was a chat :etc_swear:! They played like crap in both games, died early, and then spent the game blaming us and being obnoxious. Being able to -1 them felt good even if it did nothing really.

As to your specific pts...

1. Then don't worry about it. If you understand it "doesn't do anything" then just ignore it. Why are you so upset over something you say means nothing? Seriously now and not being a [edited]. If it means nothing then just let it be.
  2. I disagree with this and will direct you to my comments ^^^ above. I am sure the 6 players I sent +1's to a few minutes ago felt appreciated for their efforts. The 3 green players might remember it and in a similar situation in the future push and swing a game again vs running (positive reinforcement). The 3 reds, while they lost, know their efforts were appreciated and recognized, vs getting yelled at for throwing a game (they did no such thing), which makes the loss less painful and again makes them likely to play like that again vs run and hide. The chat :etc_swear: at the least got strikes against them for chat abuse which down the road can lead to bans plus it let me have a way to respond to their chat vitriol and bad play and not become a chat :etc_swear: myself. All around the +1 and -1 is a win win IMO.
  3. While I understand this, and it has actually happened to me even as a potato player, don't get mad when that happens take it as a sort of badge of honor. I got dinged for - karma in the best Random game I ever had ( was a really good game). Obviously it was from a red which we destroyed (and I lead the way LOL). In no way does it hurt me and it gave a red player a way to vent their frustration at what was a painful game for them. I look at it that I really must have played well for them to do that so it is a badge of honor. I can even choose to look at it like they are a such poor sport that they should be pitied vs getting upset with them. I mean no matter how you look at it if you play really well and get - karma just take it in a positive way.
  4. There is a Mod in Aslains and the official Mod Pack that will remove it. But again if you know it means nothing just ignore it.

I personally like the system. I admit I enjoy seeing that you have been complimented message popup after a game. I don't like it when I lose karma but I try and reason out why I got it. If I played bad then well I deserved it and if I did nothing wrong or played really well then it is just someone venting or a really poor spot who is immature and people like that don't bother me much. Karma may not do anything tangible (ie; rewards) but I think it actually does do something good by giving players a means to express themselves. Some may abuse that sure but that is life.

Here is a +1 for you OP just to make your day :-) :cap_like:

Keep Karma as is. :Smile_hiding:

Image1.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Meh 1

Members
51 posts
1,048 battles
6 hours ago, rhulkb27 said:

1) If it doesnt do anything then why do you care. Seeing as it doesnt matter, why are you getting angry about it?

2) Same as 1)

3) Unless you are playing aircraft carrier, 80% of the times you get reported means you played badly. People don't report others willy nilly. This is why better players usually have 100+ or 1000+ karma. 

4) You can hide it for yourself, there is a mod in Aslains that allows you to do that.

There's also a mod in Aslain's that fixes your karma at 666.

[TOG]
[TOG]
Members
68 posts
4,633 battles
On 1/28/2022 at 2:42 PM, Nachoo31 said:

Mine only goes down when I tell people what they are doing wrong.

How are you telling they did something wrong....If your a [edited] about it you should be reported but if you are trying to be helpful then why would you be reported. The only thing I ever see in game is toxic comments and how you are trash cause of the win rate. Never once in 5 years of playing this "game" that I have been helped in chat. Hell even these forms are a pit of toxicity.

• Cool 1

Members
4,785 posts
16,599 battles
On 1/28/2022 at 1:09 PM, nolbp said:

Is this true @Boggzy?