You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HEYO19191

Should I freeXP past Kansas

19 comments in this topic

[1H8ML]
Members
129 posts
1,075 battles

I've just noticed that I have enough freeXP to go straight from the Colorado to the Minnesota. I'm considering using the freeXP to get straight to Minnesota. However, I'm about 3 mil silver short of being able to purchase it. Additionally, I already own the Kansas, but I haven't put an upgrades on her.

I've also heard that Kansas really sucks to play, which part of the reason why I'm considering the skip.

Should I freeXP to Minnesota and then grind 3 mil with my Colorado? Or should I upgrade the Kansas and use her to get there?

[NGA-A]
Members
2,655 posts
17,809 battles

Like Ruleset said, prioritize spending Free XP on modules. If you must use free xp on a ship, always save it for the tier IX as they usually don't differentiate themselves significantly from the tier VIII or tier X. There are some exceptions (hello Alsace), but generally those are the ones that'll really torture you.

• Cool 1

Members
64 posts
5,735 battles
4 hours ago, HEYO19191 said:

I already own the Kansas

Play a few games with her first.  Not much point in FXPing past a ship you already own unless you absolutely hate it.  And if you hate Kansas and hated Colorado, well, the Standard branch isn't for you, because they don't really change.  Minnesota is a slightly better Kansas, and Vermont is more of the same with bigger guns.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
307 posts
14,482 battles

Modules for the hull and other upgrades, stock just kills your enthusiasm. These boats are all about the long shot and early smacks on cruisers. Look for those early rush ins and someone not paying attention. Try not to brawl or get get farmed. It's still 12 guns at 406 mm if questionable accuracy. It will frustrate you but something is going to hit.

Work on your aim and Minnesota get slightly better.

• Cool 1

[HOP4S]
Members
7,013 posts
35,517 battles
5 hours ago, HEYO19191 said:

I've just noticed that I have enough freeXP to go straight from the Colorado to the Minnesota. I'm considering using the freeXP to get straight to Minnesota. However, I'm about 3 mil silver short of being able to purchase it. Additionally, I already own the Kansas, but I haven't put an upgrades on her.

I've also heard that Kansas really sucks to play, which part of the reason why I'm considering the skip.

Should I freeXP to Minnesota and then grind 3 mil with my Colorado? Or should I upgrade the Kansas and use her to get there?

I read this and my first thought is:  "to what end....?"  Why>?  I have the same situation and everytime I look at the TT, I ask myself the same question?   In the end though, I realize the TT is a waste of time.......   Those "clone ships" were introduced to make money and have nothing to do with actual game play......   Some day, our host may add a task in some obscure event that has a "must use the Minnesota" to accomplish.........but, till then, why bother.   The only reason I even consider FXP'ing the last two ships are Snowflakes.....   And, TBH, I considered FXP'ing them for snowflakes............but, just couldn't find any valid reason to "waste" FXP for TT ships that really, unless you are a collector, mean anything in the game.

[TR3TA]
Members
280 posts
9,168 battles

5 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Like Ruleset said, prioritize spending Free XP on modules. If you must use free xp on a ship, always save it for the tier IX as they usually don't differentiate themselves significantly from the tier VIII or tier X. There are some exceptions (hello Alsace), but generally those are the ones that'll really torture you.

Good advice here.

I played Kansas (and hated it), but when I was able to get Minnesota I used FXP to get Vermont instead (which is a fine boat).

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,735 posts
26,570 battles

If you believe Minnesota to be more fun than Kansas I have a bridge to sell you, and I say this as someone who generally enjoys the standards.

[KAG2]
Members
2,248 posts
37,062 battles

Play though it, the practice with the guns is helpful and it does progress logically. What skills you gain with the Kansas do correlate to Minnesota's game play.  Neither ship is terrible they are slow sledgehammers, don't get isolated, pick your target and realize you are slow. 

[WOLF6]
[WOLF6]
Members
759 posts
16,371 battles

I found the dispersion on Kansas quit vexing, but it could have just been me.

the line itself is what it is. They are all slow and hit like trucks. 

I don't "play for fun" with them, but they're not bad.

to answer your question, no don't use free XP. They are all similar enough that it's not like you skip a turrd to get to a gem. If you like them, play tgem. If you don't like them, find another line.

[ARGSY]
Members
31,105 posts
29,413 battles

Unless there's an urgent reason (as with the GK and Khaba becoming coal ships; using FXP for the research bureau), FXP should never be used on tech-tree ships. Play it through. You  need to learn what these ships are like to fight with, not just jump to the next one in the hope that it solves your problems. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
807 posts
15,794 battles

Its not that bad if you somehow enjoy american stadard battleships like I do. Find a nice battlegroup to hide amongst, or a nice island to use as cover. The turning circle is very tight so its able to dodge some long range fire and loiter in tighter spaces. If tier 10 is your goal I dont even think vermont is what you want either if you hate the kansas already.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,340 posts
11,776 battles

If anything, I'd sooner argue to skip much lower tier ships, not high tier ships unless you reaaaaally hate a ship for a reason that has nothing to do with the T10. For instance, I skip to T8 for my research regrinds till I am ready to cash in. The regrinds stack after all, and grinding out T8+ basically pays for the Fxp spent, too.

For instance, I do not regret skipping Neptune. That thing stands out in a bad way, as her concealment is noticeably worse than either the T8 or T10.

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,286 battles

You’re better off grinding through Kansas and then FXPing past Minnesota, should you feel the need to skip around. 

[WPORT]
Members
20,802 posts
22,691 battles
20 hours ago, HEYO19191 said:

It's your choice.

Personally, I enjoy sailing the Kansas while enjoying a meal in-between the re-loads of the main-battery guns.  :-)
I've got the "Pin-up" camo for her, and think she's got a certain charm. 
I'm in no rush to grind up this slow line of "standard" USN Battleships.
Meanwhile, she earns XP and credits during battles, and her curvy hull looks like a figurative "bombshell" on the virtual seas and in Port.  :cap_tea:

image_2022-01-28_211236.thumb.png.cf4da4186907275e953c2fc8f235dc4f.png

[KILL]
Members
1,444 posts
15,303 battles

I liked the minnisota more than the Kansas simply because when it did hit something, it penned more often. or at least did full pen damage.