Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Funny calls to tech support

2 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

I have an investment account with a firm that requires two-factor authentication to access its website. This would be simple had I a cell phone but I don't. Their automated call-back system can't seem to get past the spam blocker on my landline either. Therefore, I need to turn off this phone feature every time I want to view my accounts.

Now, to say that I live in a "rural" area would be an understatement. You'd be hard pressed to man an aircraft carrier with the population of any two counties around. The last time I called to have them temporarily disable the feature the lady I got on the phone lived two houses down from me.

Today, however, I called and got someone I didn't recognize, though he was friendly enough. He asked where I was calling from and I told him. He then said "How do you spell that?" I said, "You don't know where <my hometown> is?" He said, "Oh, I'm in Alabama." Seems that the local phone offices send calls to a call center for processing if they are busy. He then transferred me to the local office, where the girl laughed when I told her what had happened and said that people would sometimes spend a half hour chatting with the call center technicians before they realized that they weren't talking to someone local.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Funny 1

[WOLFD]
Members
4,011 posts
6,449 battles

My sympathy about the MFA, tho it's going to get more prevalent not less so I don't fancy your sanity later down the line.

I wish my team was so overstaffed we could take half-hour chats with the folks who call us. Not that I'd want to spend that long talking to any of them, but not having to do the work of 2 and a half people would be nice (team should be 5 strong officially. We've got 2). 

Sign in to follow this