Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Atlaa

Best first coal ship to get?

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

12
Members
37 posts
918 battles

Hello, I'm looking to get my first top tier coal ship. I currently already own Kearsarge and Pommern, and I would prefer to get a cruiser. Any recommendations? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,917
[ARGSY]
Members
31,019 posts
29,201 battles

Unless this is an alt account, you have far too few battles to think about that. 

  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,214
[HE]
Members
1,182 posts
9,338 battles

There are only three top tier coal ships, Salem, Moskva, and Yoshino

The obvious choice here is Salem.

Edited by DolphinPrincess
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,862
[GUTS]
[GUTS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,364 posts
29,390 battles

Salem first.

(She was my very last coal ship left to purchase)

I regret not getting her sooner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12
Members
37 posts
918 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Unless this is an alt account, you have far too few battles to think about that. 

This is a new account I created after returning to the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,917
[ARGSY]
Members
31,019 posts
29,201 battles
17 minutes ago, Atlaa said:

This is a new account I created after returning to the game. 

OK, what tiers were you up to in the old account? If you're experienced at Tier 10, then I think your cruiser options boil down to Salem and Napoli. However, if you were familiar with Moskva as a tech tree ship, she's now a coal premium, unchanged from when she was last in the tree.

It basically boils down to who you have to command her, and whether you want radar or torpedoes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,315
[WOLF5]
Members
2,433 posts
17,190 battles

Another vote for Salem.....she is both an excellent ship and a delight to play....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
161
[AM-PM]
Members
325 posts
8,626 battles
4 hours ago, Atlaa said:

Hello, I'm looking to get my first top tier coal ship. I currently already own Kearsarge and Pommern, and I would prefer to get a cruiser. Any recommendations? 

Yeah, the first coal ship to get is a captain...  Might want to browse the video guides first, but if you like the Pommern, you probably will want to get "unique commander" Gunther Lutjens and then look at the German lineup for Operations and Co-op to figure out what you like best.

German premium ships to use with Lutjens and his amazing secondary buff: 

Tier VI: Graf Spee (with National camo for +35% credits), P.E.Friedrich for operations

Tier Vii: Weimar and Scharnhorst for operations

Tier VIII: Prinz Eugen with his Adler camo for the +10% credit earning

You have Kearsarge, so perhaps you want to start earning William Halsey through his Campaign.

Some of the lower cost "seasoned commander"s (with the "star" icon) have very useful features like a buffed faster turret traverse, I think they're around 35K coal or 1500 dubs.

Figure out what line you want to play and plan on making a really good first 21 point captain to use on that nations premium ships.

Wish I'd known that when I started out!

Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
170
[P0TS]
Members
120 posts
3,883 battles

Salem is by far the strongest coal ship. Get it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,555
[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,871 battles

I know you have the Pommern.  I just bought it for coal yesterday.

It was the best laugh I've had from this game in a long, long time.  We're talking Atlanta or Smolensk kind of laugh.
Go into battle and beat everything up.  Lots of action..  Ships dying all around you.

I never expected the Pommern to be so fun to play.

My advice is to look at the ships that bring you - "THE MOST LAUGHS PER BUCK".
If you're having fun, then life is good.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
495
[EDEG]
Members
505 posts
14,556 battles

I don't have Salem, but I ground up to DM pretty early in my WOWS career...and the winrate shows it. How I usually did in Des Moines then versus what I can do with it now, it's night and day. And what I can do with it now is just this side of OK.

Seriously, this isn't anything like a criticism. I don't care how skilled you are at pointy-shooty games, until you have a couple thousand matches under your belt you're just meat at T9 or T10. There's just too much to know about how people play, maneuver, aim, and on and on.

Don't buy a high-tier cruiser at this point. You won't enjoy it. If you're set on a high-tier ship -- and honestly it's not a terrible idea, the 100% XP bonus on T9 camos is a gateway to bigger and better things across the board -- I'd pick up a battleship as your first premium. They're much more forgiving than cruisers or God forbid DDs.

Pommern would be a solid pick. Kearsarge is interesting but surprisingly vulnerable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,890
[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,962 posts
5,224 battles
10 hours ago, Atlaa said:

Hello, I'm looking to get my first top tier coal ship. I currently already own Kearsarge and Pommern, and I would prefer to get a cruiser. Any recommendations? 

Oh, hell yeah!  Salem. 

Next question?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,539
[X-PN]
Members
3,810 posts
17,681 battles
44 minutes ago, JamesTomb said:

I don't have Salem, but I ground up to DM pretty early in my WOWS career...and the winrate shows it. How I usually did in Des Moines then versus what I can do with it now, it's night and day. And what I can do with it now is just this side of OK.

Seriously, this isn't anything like a criticism. I don't care how skilled you are at pointy-shooty games, until you have a couple thousand matches under your belt you're just meat at T9 or T10. There's just too much to know about how people play, maneuver, aim, and on and on.

Don't buy a high-tier cruiser at this point. You won't enjoy it. If you're set on a high-tier ship -- and honestly it's not a terrible idea, the 100% XP bonus on T9 camos is a gateway to bigger and better things across the board -- I'd pick up a battleship as your first premium. They're much more forgiving than cruisers or God forbid DDs.

Pommern would be a solid pick. Kearsarge is interesting but surprisingly vulnerable.

I hate Pommern.... Guns are like being thrown back to T5 New York with blunderbus accuracy.   Sure it's a beast up close but it's damned hard to get into that situation with enough hp to matter.... and Schleif/Rupp now do that same thing better....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×