You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
How_I_met_ur_mom

Tensions in Eastern Europe

24 comments in this topic

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,874 battles

Ironic that these 'War Games' could be shut down in case of conflict.

I recall another time when one nations leader flibbed their nose at the rest of the world over invading some distant country called, Kuwait.
How did that turn out, by the way?

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

I'll say this once.

Nothing will happen with NATO. Nothing will happen overtly with the USA vs Russia directly. Not in the realm that can lead to a nuclear exchange. Or conventional no holds barred combat.

And Ukraine is doing just cool. No problems. They are their own people who will determine their future whatever it might be. Russia? Well... they COULD invade and absorb Ukraine for the wheat and the warm water year round ports and so on but... eh... its a storm in a teapot. Thats for them to sort it out. In the end they are a one Slavic Peoples with a more or less common history for better or worse. They will have to settle it themselves.

As far as online economy in overseas during a shooting war, the USA is well capable of deciding to turn off various companies or seize them entirely inside our 50 states and territories if it deems necessary. They seized the Levithan which belonged to Germany in Jersey City at port in World War One. It was quickly taken by the FBI, turned over to the USA and renamed the USS Vaterland for a few years troop transporting to France. My Grandfather was carried there with the 79th on that ship's first trip over. Eventually the war was over and the Ship returned to normal passenger service. Until scrapped in Scotland. Parts of her are still there to be seen.

As far as the Politics... frankly there is no reason to even talk about that here. It will just get vaporized. IF for some reason there is a shooting war? Then whatever will be whatever. I would prefer nothing to happen. Its not something worth going to nuclear war over. It really does not matter to me anymore because frankly it's a double standard with the USA all over the precious Ukraine Border while our own southern border is crap. That actually makes us kind of the bad guys sticking our noses in stuff that we have no control over. If Russia chops it off? Oh well. We deserved it.

If someone screwed up really badly? Then I am not far from a nuclear target of quite some value Its going to get really damn hot briefly and I will be looking at St Peter asking him what the hell just happened here? It would be over and done with. Doing me a favor actually.

Edited by xHeavy
  • Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[WPORT]
Members
20,725 posts
22,656 battles

Bette Midler - From A Distance Lyrics

From a distance the world looks blue and green
And the snow capped mountains white
From a distance the ocean meets the stream
And the eagle takes to flight

From a distance, there is harmony
And it echoes through the land
It's the voice of hope, it's the voice of peace
It's the voice of every man

From a distance we all have enough
And no one is in need
And there are no guns, no bombs, and no disease
No hungry mouths to feed

From a distance we are instruments
Marching in a common band
Playing songs of hope, playing songs of peace
They're the songs of every man

God is watching us, God is watching us
God is watching us from a distance

From a distance you look like my friend
Even though we are at war
From a distance I just cannot comprehend
What all this fighting is for

From a distance there is harmony
And it echoes through the land
And it's the hope of hopes, it's the love of loves
It's the heart of every man
(Every man)

It's the hope of hopes, it's the love of loves
This is the song of every man

And God is watching us, God is watching us
Oh, God is watching us, God is watching

Spoiler

This song was popular in the 1990/1991 time-frame.
I think it has retained its' potency.

• Cool 1

[CLUMP]
Members
2,861 posts
3,004 battles

it seems a certain someone wants to get something back :Smile_hiding: Once this certain someone gets that might as well try to get the rest :Smile_hiding: I am sure certain places don't want that :Smile_hiding: You never know another certain someone might try to get back a certain island back while the stuff in a certain place is happening :Smile_hiding: 

You see what I did there :Smile_trollface:

Edited by LastRemnant

[WOLF1]
Members
3,298 posts

I think there should be more investment given to WG so people can play virtual war games instead of real ones, that would be money much better spent~

• Thanks 1

[WGPB]
Members
330 posts
4,183 battles

i worry what will happen to the people of Ukraine

i have a good friend who is Ukrainian, living here       

• Thanks 2

Members
186 posts

I have spent time in both countries. So many wonderful kind good people.  I know WoT studio is in Ukraine and WOWS studio is in St Petersburg. The only rivalry they probably have is who eats the last of pickled herring after some drinks.

This thread is not about politics, but the safety and wellbeing of those who make and assist us with these great games.

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,874 battles
2 hours ago, LastRemnant said:

it seems a certain someone wants to get something back :Smile_hiding: Once this certain someone gets that might as well try to get the rest :Smile_hiding: I am sure certain places don't want that :Smile_hiding: You never know another certain someone might try to get back a certain island back while the stuff in a certain place is happening :Smile_hiding: 

You see what I did there :Smile_trollface:

If left unchecked, it's only a matter of time until someone demands Alaska be returned.
After all, we stole it fair and square.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

Without oil, gas, and coal exports, the Russian economy would tank. Currently, most of their exports go to the EU. Russia provides about one-third of the gas and crude oil imported by the European Union. They are playing hardball, shutting off coal to Ukraine (which is their biggest single coal customer) and causing prices to rise but it's just going to come back and bite them in the long term. Although the current US administration is anti-fossil-fuel, this isn't going to last. The US has world's largest coal reserves. Australia has just as much coal as Russia does. Both would be more than happy to sell to the EU and Ukraine.

The top five countries and their percentage share of world proved coal reserves as of 12/31/2020 were:

• United States 22%
  • Russia 15%
  • Australia 14%
  • China 14%
  • India 10%

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[CLUMP]
Members
2,861 posts
3,004 battles
On 1/26/2022 at 10:20 PM, AVR_Project said:

If left unchecked, it's only a matter of time until someone demands Alaska be returned.
After all, we stole it fair and square.

QMreGSI.gif

Alaska will never go back to the Ruskies 

t1tPdtj.gif 

we bought it fair and square 

Now if Denmark would only sell Greenland :fish_cute_2: So we could finally have a couple of new states :Smile_child:

Edited by LastRemnant
  • Haha 1

Members
1,244 posts
6,750 battles

I saw the entire Russia, USA, NATO Ukraine thing be settled in a 15 minute battle in world or warships, All tier 5 of below with WWI and WWII ships :) I get the Clemson

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

Binkov has an interesting analysis of the situation. Essentially, invading Ukraine would be an overall losing situation for Russia because it would lose most of its trading partners overnight, leaving it a 2nd-class dependent of China.

Members
1,244 posts
6,750 battles

I watched the American show CBS Sunday morning this morning, if its all so scary and bad, then somebody please explain to me m=why teh Ukrainian president told Biden, not to go nuts and start a war

Edited by wolfkind252

[WPORT]
Members
20,725 posts
22,656 battles
18 minutes ago, wolfkind252 said:

I watched the American show CBS Sunday morning this morning, if its all so scary and bad, then somebody please explain to me m=why teh Ukrainian president told Biden, not to go nuts and start a war

Wars are bloody and expensive in lives and treasure and the future of a nation.  It is preferable to avoid a war when a negotiation can provide a win/win solution instead.

The famous Sun Tzu authored a book, titlled "The Art of War".
image_2022-01-30_125209.thumb.png.69a9828c8f18391f2c4856777f81aa31.png

[CO-OP]
Members
5,197 posts
43,292 battles
32 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Wars are bloody and expensive in lives and treasure and the future of a nation.  It is preferable to avoid a war when a negotiation can provide a win/win solution instead.

The famous Sun Tzu authored a book, titlled "The Art of War".
image_2022-01-30_125209.thumb.png.69a9828c8f18391f2c4856777f81aa31.png

I always thought it was this:

Members
1,244 posts
6,750 battles

The What of the women?

It sounded liek he said elimination f the women, I kinda take issue with that since I wear a bra

Edited by wolfkind252

[WPORT]
Members
20,725 posts
22,656 battles
9 minutes ago, wolfkind252 said:

The What of the women?

It sounded liek he said elimination f the women, I kinda take issue with that since I wear a bra

I think @HamptonRoads was trying to use use the quote to make a point.
The actual quote from the scene in the movie Conan the Barbarian is in the "spoiler" below.

Spoiler

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082198/quotes/?ref_=tt_trv_qu

Mongol General: Hao! Dai ye! We won again! This is good, but what is best in life?

Mongol: The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.

Mongol General: Wrong! Conan! What is best in life?

Conan: To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And to hear the lamentations of their women.

Mongol General: That is good! That is good.

@wolfkind252 you are correct that the theoretically affected women in the fictional story would find the experience sorrowful and undesireable, at the least.

The crushed enemies would be warriors, who would have wives & family depending upon them. 
Those wives & family would become widows & orphans and would have to endure the treatment/mal-treatmeant of those conquerors who crushed their men.

As "sword & sorcery" movies go, Conan the Barbarian was an excellent movie in its' time.  I've got a VHS copy of it and the compact-disc of the music from the movie.  The music is that good, seriously.

That said, not all movies are "G-rated".  Some stories in books & movies are intended for mature audiences and for "entertainment" only.  Conan the Barbarian is an "R-rated" movie, for various reasons.

I hope that helps explain things.

[CO-OP]
Members
5,197 posts
43,292 battles
26 minutes ago, wolfkind252 said:

The What of the women?

the quote was "lamentation of the women."  Alluding to women mourning the loss of husbands/sons.

Members
1,244 posts
6,750 battles

Well I dont have a husband or kids, so I wont be laminating, but anybody invades Alberta with intent of doing harm I will fight them however I can, I don't have a license for a gun, but theres no law saying I can have a bow and arrows , and anybody that things a little girl cant shoot outta see teh deer I drooped, at 80 meters :)

[WPORT]
Members
20,725 posts
22,656 battles
On 1/30/2022 at 3:10 PM, wolfkind252 said:

Well I dont have a husband or kids, so I wont be laminating, but anybody invades Alberta with intent of doing harm I will fight them however I can, I don't have a license for a gun, but theres no law saying I can have a bow and arrows , and anybody that things a little girl cant shoot outta see teh deer I drooped, at 80 meters :)

https://youtu.be/mdk4_9xm8XU
"Don't.  Get.  Eliminated!"  (From the television show known as MXC - Most Extreme Elimination Challenge.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364843/)

• Cool 1