Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Are the bots shooting better?

21 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
8,874 posts
27,090 battles

Small sample size (just me) but it seems like the bots are landing more hits than they did before the update. I feel I am taking  more damage even when I play a bit more conservatively. I know there is more module damage but that was a separate issue.

Just wondering if it is just wishful thinking, confirmation bias or if things have actually changed.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,340 posts
11,772 battles

One thing I notice is that the bots seem to get more accurate the longer they shoot at you and the closer you get to them... to a point. At times one turret shoots way off to the side.

Though, this isn't new. Maybe you're noticing it more due to a change of ships? Say... playing more DD?

[CO-OP]
Members
3,734 posts
37,497 battles

I've been smacked from large distances a bit more often lately, i.e. cross map citadels, but generally their marksmanship is still pretty poor.

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
1,499 posts
8,467 battles

On the 'feels': It seems that opening salvos are still effed. But the longer a single ship shoots at you the better they get? I 'feel' like I am also coming under focus fire by multiple ships more often now. When this happens it's time to try and go dark before they get the range. 

I still want the old snipers back.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,144 posts
30,906 battles
2 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Nope. Stevie Wonder still manning their guns

o-BLIND-GUN-facebook.jpg

You probably just got unlucky OP.  Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CRMPI]
Members
307 posts
9,556 battles

What I have been noticing recently, is torp hits from bots, that aren't and haven't been in the right position to fire and hit me. Especially when it's possible it came from 12km away and I'm constantly changing speed and jinking. I don't get hit by that many torps in randoms, with twice the ships and human players laying in wait lol.

I can't remember what ship, but in one case recently, I witnessed a bot firing from about 50m behind itself from what would be "virtual torp tubes" floating invisibly in the air behind the ship... I haven't seen a bot do that in a long time. They seem to be mostly behaving as far as legit firing angles etc.
It did really tick me off though, because I was swinging around the stern of the bot to finish it and these torps got launched way behind it to hit me, when it shouldn't have been able to do that. It was near the end of the match and no other bots with torps were around either, or could have fired through the nearby land mass.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,144 posts
30,906 battles

@EricThePixelPirate If your ship is in an area that is going to get flooded by torpedoes, you're asking for getting hit by them.  If you're trying to dance like a ballerina in the same general area, then the bots are going to flood that same general area with torpedoes.  There's also a thing where some ships have better, wider torpedo launch angles.  Some of those low tier German DDs have weird torpedo angles.  A number of French Destroyers also have some very wide torpedo launch angles.

[CVA16]
Members
8,874 posts
27,090 battles
33 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

A number of French Destroyers also have some very wide torpedo launch angles.

As do some of the mid tier US DDs (and one higher tier, somewhat OP ship). It is one of their strong points but obviously does not apply to the whole line.

Still think the bots are a bit more accurate than they were last patch. The shells generally land closer and, if I try a drive by on bot that has time to aim at me, I can find I am down half my health (sometimes unlucky and get sunk) and had to use my repair. Last patch was more like 1/3 my health so it was pretty safe to carry on to drive-by a second bot (and be down 2/3 of my health).

Guess the AI just has it in for ME. Always thought so.

Edited by Sabot_100

[2020]
Members
190 posts
17,410 battles

I feel that the bots are getting better shooting CCs and BBs. I have been deleted a few times from long distance shots. The bots also would not show broadside to the closest ship. Sadly though, the DDs still run rampant torping the ships left and right.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,144 posts
30,906 battles

If you're sailing straight and steady, you're predictable and inviting disaster.  But that's just my old Random Battle habits speaking, which for a lot of people here will say that's being overboard.

Especially if you got Priority Target saying something(s) are targeting you, and there's nothing in the vicinity that you see is aiming at you.  That should be a big clue warning.  But again, that's my old PVP habits going on again.

If you are in a Cruiser you should especially be very concerned with the signs and have safer practices given the match situation.

Lastly, even with the awful aim of these bots now, if you get a handful of them shooting at you, as bad a shot as they all are, enough shells get sent your way and they will start hitting.

[WOLFG]
Members
240 posts
8,366 battles

I've actually lost 2 coop games in 2 days. Prior to yesterday I can't remember when the last time was. I was in Molotov one game and Munchen the other. I ended up getting focus fired by several ships each time and died from gunfire instead of torps. It looks like I'll have to tone down the aggressiveness some. My win-rate has collapsed  from 99.02% down to 98.98 %.

• Funny 1

[CO-OP]
Members
3,734 posts
37,497 battles

Start of a Stalingrad game today I was being focussed by 5 bots, took out one of them and made large dents in 3 others but even with their crappy shooting you can't stand up to that deluge.

Edited by Efros

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,144 posts
30,906 battles
On 1/30/2022 at 2:12 PM, Efros said:

Start of a Stalingrad game today I was being focussed by 5 bots, took out one of them and made large dents in 3 others but even with their crappy shooting you can't stand up to that deluge.

I have always worried about lines of sight and what ships could potentially shoot at you.  If you're playing a Cruiser, even a Super Cruiser, you still have to worry about crossfires whittling you down quickly, or worse, a few lucky BB shells Citadeling or Penetrating you from angles, ranges that you weren't accounting for.  I'll take into account most especially bot BBs that are off to the side even if they're far off like 17km+.  In all likeliness they'll miss, but you don't want it if they get lucky.  For Stalingrad to get an unlucky BB salvo to the side, that's fatal.  Stalingrad, Moskva AP shells to the sides is game over, man.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,734 posts
37,497 battles

Yeah one of them was a bot BB and he made a 50% hole in my health early on in the barrage, the rest of the health was chipped away by the other cruisers occasionally hitting me once or twice in each salvo.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,144 posts
30,906 battles
12 hours ago, Efros said:

Yeah one of them was a bot BB and he made a 50% hole in my health early on in the barrage, the rest of the health was chipped away by the other cruisers occasionally hitting me once or twice in each salvo.

A while back before WG fooled around with Bot Aiming, I remember getting into a late night game using a Tier X BB.  I was trying to move in and brawl as always, but my Potential Damage that game was very low.  The reason?  I was sailing alongside a Stalingrad player and the bots were focused in on him.  Lower HP pool than my Tier X BB, easily.  Stalingrad can tank a good while while bow on or well angled, but even then only for so long.  You don't have BB HP pools, and with 5 bots focusing on him, the Stalingrad's tanking was on a timer before she sank.  My BB going in for close range, broadside AP salvos and secondaries roaring was being ignored.  I freely pushed up while the Stalingrad player could not because if he pushed forward, then the different bots firing from him off to the sides would get better angles to get Citadel hits on him.  So he had to play safe, and even then he was guaranteed to die.

Meanwhile I took advantage and my Tier X BB just pressed on, casually whistling like a walk through a sunny day at the park, making point blank AP blasts and letting the secondaries go.

Even with the worse Bot Aim right now, getting shot at by 5 or so bots is not good for your ship as time progresses.  With a bunch of bots firing, you'll get whittled down or you get unlucky Citadel hits against you.  The fires will mount if you're not careful.

I play super aggressively with a healthy enough dose of caution, weighing what I think I can get away with and how much HP I have left to make those trades.  Getting into somewhere with a handful of bots focusing me down is not a good situation.  Have to be aggressive, but I have to weigh the costs and benefits.

• Thanks 1

[WGPB]
Members
330 posts
4,183 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Even with the worse Bot Aim right now, getting shot at by 5 or so bots is not good for your ship as time progresses.  With a bunch of bots firing, you'll get whittled down or you get unlucky Citadel hits against you.  The fires will mount if you're not careful.

you high tier guys are seeing more changes than us, in mids!       which makes sense... these changes were really to reinvigorate vets that were bored

had another good day in the Penny... three times my normal damage average in a coop battle, top of the board, beat three T7s and one was ranked!

but did i mention that i didn't kill anything?     the constant rain of Penny HE caused fires in every direction i looked     

it was one of those glorious RNG battles      that i see so rarely

Edited by trikke

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,538 posts

Nope, AI sucks at shooting. They are still good with torpedoes, but when it comes to main guns? Ignore them and charge!

I keep asking during their roadmap streams when is it going to get fixed and WG just ignores the question.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,144 posts
30,906 battles
3 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

Nope, AI sucks at shooting. They are still good with torpedoes, but when it comes to main guns? Ignore them and charge!

I keep asking during their roadmap streams when is it going to get fixed and WG just ignores the question.

It really depends on the situation, especially if I'm trying to do Torpedo Rushes in a squishy CL like a Pan Asia or RN CL.

If I am in a wide open map with low islands and the prospect of cross fire from a lot of directions is possible, it can be worrying and I have to really check before fully committing.  If there's a lot of big islands breaking LOS, making long range cross fire less likely, I can be a lot more aggressive.  Priority Target also helps because it lets me know if the bots really have it in for me before a hail of shells start coming.  A few bots shooting at you, say 2, isn't a concern.  But 3 and more after that, it starts being a concern because they will get lucky.

And for the record, I was even doing YOLO Torpedo Rushes even before WG tweaked Bot Aim.

[USCC]
Members
56 posts
27,497 battles

The only time I noticed an uptick in their accuracy was when the 200% XP bonus was going on. Other than that, it's hit-or-miss. No pun intended. lol!

Sign in to follow this