Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Stormbringer924

trying really hard not to get upset

84 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

297
[H0PAS]
[H0PAS]
Members
158 posts
20,945 battles

I've been playing this game going on 6 years now. And have weathered all the storm's that it has wrought. But it's getting hard to keep going. Did the dockyard thing and the marborough is a P.O.S. Not much for the grind. Can't get on a team that is worth a grain of salt. Don't ever seem to be top tiered, no matter how low the captain is. I have run t7 with a 7 point commander and still get dragged into t9. The game play has become more arcade than skill. I know i'm complaining, but i would rather voice it here than in some stupid ramdom forum that just feed's complaint's. I'm trying really hard to not lose the joy that has been this game's draw for me. I swear that if I get on another team that act's scared to play in game I will lose my sceznit. I take time away from the game only to come back to something even more frustrating. I run everything from t3 through t10, and nothing is different. Am I trapped in the twighlight zone or is this what WG has planned? I just don't get it. If this is what has become of one of the most fun and visually stunning game's. Then we are the worse off for it, not the better. I stopped purchasing from WG over 6 month's ago because I was unhappy. And they have not improved at all.

Thank you for reading my rant. I hope you are all healthy and happy.

  • Cool 20
  • Funny 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,911
[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles

Guess its time to move on or cutback play time... Its not going to get any better anytime soon..

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,471
[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Volunteer Moderator
2,629 posts
7,415 battles

I feel the same way, queuing solo is just a rage inducing experience. The only way I enjoy playing this game now is in a full division with ships that work together. I've been spending a lot more time at lower tiers as well, where meta ships mean a little less and the impact of coordinated fire and good teamwork feels more relevant.

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
657
[_TKS_]
[_TKS_]
Members
1,498 posts
16,182 battles

fascinating. I have seen similar observations and your post made me think about how we got to this point. And this suddenly came to mind:

The meta shifted about two years ago to KITE and Butt IN defenses.  this was powerful at the time and game changing. now, even though the meta has changed, the tactics have been passed down through forums, videos and clanmates. you end up with PASSIVE play. taught by a prior Meta. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
450
Members
546 posts
8 minutes ago, Stormbringer924 said:

I've been playing this game going on 6 years now. And have weathered all the storm's that it has wrought. But it's getting hard to keep going. Did the dockyard thing and the marborough is a P.O.S. Not much for the grind. Can't get on a team that is worth a grain of salt. Don't ever seem to be top tiered, no matter how low the captain is. I have run t7 with a 7 point commander and still get dragged into t9. The game play has become more arcade than skill. I know i'm complaining, but i would rather voice it here than in some stupid ramdom forum that just feed's complaint's. I'm trying really hard to not lose the joy that has been this game's draw for me. I swear that if I get on another team that act's like their at a vagasil convention rather than in game I will lose my sceznit. I take time away from the game only to come back to something even more frustrating. I run everything from t3 through t10, and nothing is different. Am I trapped in the twighlight zone or is this what WG has planned? I just don't get it. If this is what has become of one of the most fun and visually stunning game's. Then we are the worse off for it, not the better. I stopped purchasing from WG over 6 month's ago because I was unhappy. And they have not improved at all.

Thank you for reading my rant. I hope you are all healthy and happy.

WOW stopped caring about making the game better years ago.  It's just cash grab after cash grab now.  Expect garbage and you'll be fine.

  • Cool 4
  • Funny 3
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
450
Members
546 posts
7 minutes ago, vikingno2 said:

and no effort to look at match making to help some

MM and RNG have more impact on game outcome that skill.  Winning in Random is literally that.

Edited by nhf
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
297
[H0PAS]
[H0PAS]
Members
158 posts
20,945 battles

Thank you for your replie's. At least I'm not just being a whinny be-atch. I still have hope and I still want to see ya'all in game on the sea of battle. The funny thing is that the older ship's are making a comeback. The old mechanic's are slapping the new ship's around pretty good. The montana has re-imerged as a grand lady again. as well as other old ship's whose good point's have been forgotten to the new crowd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,302
[PAT]
Members
1,258 posts
15,083 battles

Care less about the quality of play and enjoy the game for what it is, or make an effort to have a bigger positive influence on match outcomes. Acknowledging that the latter is possible may help alleviate frustration stemming from the belief that everything is out of your control.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
51 posts
1,048 battles

Chill out a little. From the first of December to 1/22 you played 500 matches with a WR somewhere around 55-60%, which is frigging great. You had some rather lengthy periods (dozens of matches) with WRs well in excess of 60%. No complaints then. Now, in the last 3 days you've run into a streak down in the low 40s. It happens.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,912
[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles
25 minutes ago, Stormbringer924 said:

 Don't ever seem to be top tiered, no matter how low the captain is. I have run t7 with a 7 point commander and still get dragged into t9.

MM doesn't care what captain you have.  Just looks at the ship.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,912
[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles
1 minute ago, Billy_Pilgrim_ said:

Chill out a little. From the first of December to 1/22 you played 500 matches with a WR somewhere around 55-60%, which is frigging great. You had some rather lengthy periods (dozens of matches) with WRs well in excess of 60%. No complaints then. Now, in the last 3 days you've run into a streak down in the low 40s. It happens.

I didn't look at his stats, but if that's what they are, I agree with you.  55 to 60 is great.

 

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
450
Members
546 posts
17 minutes ago, Billy_Pilgrim_ said:

Chill out a little. From the first of December to 1/22 you played 500 matches with a WR somewhere around 55-60%, which is frigging great. You had some rather lengthy periods (dozens of matches) with WRs well in excess of 60%. No complaints then. Now, in the last 3 days you've run into a streak down in the low 40s. It happens.

The game is also designed to push player win rate to 50%.  Wargaming has a patent for it relative to MM.  Meaning, the better you play, the more big losing streaks you'll have to push you back down towards 50%.  So, if you're a player that usually wins 3 out of 5 games, expect big losing streaks occasionally to push you down towards 50% and you'll be fine. 

The game is designed to penalize veteran players most.  The profit model is based on player churn.  Silly, but true.  WOW knows the money is in new players and wallet warriors.

 

Edited by nhf
  • Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3
  • Meh 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,178
[WPORT]
Members
20,793 posts
22,691 battles
36 minutes ago, Stormbringer924 said:

I've been playing this game going on 6 years now. And have weathered all the storm's that it has wrought. But it's getting hard to keep going. Did the dockyard thing and the marborough is a P.O.S. Not much for the grind. Can't get on a team that is worth a grain of salt. Don't ever seem to be top tiered, no matter how low the captain is. I have run t7 with a 7 point commander and still get dragged into t9. The game play has become more arcade than skill. I know i'm complaining, but i would rather voice it here than in some stupid ramdom forum that just feed's complaint's. I'm trying really hard to not lose the joy that has been this game's draw for me. I swear that if I get on another team that act's like their at a vagasil convention rather than in game I will lose my sceznit. I take time away from the game only to come back to something even more frustrating. I run everything from t3 through t10, and nothing is different. Am I trapped in the twighlight zone or is this what WG has planned? I just don't get it. If this is what has become of one of the most fun and visually stunning game's. Then we are the worse off for it, not the better. I stopped purchasing from WG over 6 month's ago because I was unhappy. And they have not improved at all.

Thank you for reading my rant. I hope you are all healthy and happy.


What sort of criteria are you useing to define success and/or a joyful experience?

Personally, while winning it nice, it is not crucial.  I continue to advance my other goals and make progress in missions through game-play whether or not my team wins a battle.
Also, when I'm tired of the island-humping back-line camping and "kiting" at the first scratch of paint behavior of some people, I switch to playing Co-op or Scenario Operations (or simply take a break).

Bottom line?  I don't lose sleep because of the random outcomes in WOWs.  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
147
[WOLF6]
Members
391 posts
12,713 battles
2 hours ago, nhf said:

The game is also designed to push player win rate to 50%.  Wargaming has a patent for it relative to MM.  Meaning, the better you play, the more big losing streaks you'll have to push you back down towards 50%.  So, if you're a player that usually wins 3 out of 5 games, expect big losing streaks occasionally to push you down towards 50% and you'll be fine.

 

Seems Sus...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
360 posts
1 hour ago, Stormbringer924 said:

I've been playing this game going on 6 years now. And have weathered all the storm's that it has wrought. But it's getting hard to keep going. Did the dockyard thing and the marborough is a P.O.S. Not much for the grind. Can't get on a team that is worth a grain of salt. Don't ever seem to be top tiered, no matter how low the captain is. I have run t7 with a 7 point commander and still get dragged into t9. The game play has become more arcade than skill. I know i'm complaining, but i would rather voice it here than in some stupid ramdom forum that just feed's complaint's. I'm trying really hard to not lose the joy that has been this game's draw for me. I swear that if I get on another team that act's scared to play in game I will lose my sceznit. I take time away from the game only to come back to something even more frustrating. I run everything from t3 through t10, and nothing is different. Am I trapped in the twighlight zone or is this what WG has planned? I just don't get it. If this is what has become of one of the most fun and visually stunning game's. Then we are the worse off for it, not the better. I stopped purchasing from WG over 6 month's ago because I was unhappy. And they have not improved at all.

Thank you for reading my rant. I hope you are all healthy and happy.

I had a completely miserable experience in 3 man brawls today. Won like 35% of my games and more than half of those I carried. This in a ship I have a 64% solo win rate in. Every single loss was caused by a player who had no idea how to play the mode or no idea how to play their ship. Things like rushing the cap and getting into a fight at 5k with the enemy light cruisers. Sailing their BB's 10K away from the cap and never once entering the cap even to block points. Cruisers rushing the caps and then getting into gun battles with BB's. One DD sailed completely around one of the large islands, away from the area where you can get a double cap and then complained about how bad we were because we were not aggressive enough (I was in a BB that does 20k tops and got there as fast as I could). Or my favorite, refusing to ram and then dying, leaving me to face 2 BB's and a cruiser. I would have been able win if he'd rammed, I killed the cruiser and both BB's were under half health, but they had no problem bracketing me because he refused to ram.

So here I am, with my best flags on to make my ship as effective as possible and still losing game after game in a ship I am very good in and there was nothing I could do. It was incredibly frustrating to the point of looking at other games to play. Winning had nothing to do with who was the better team, it had everything to do with who got stuck with some of the worst players I have ever seen. Some, were new and I messaged them after the games and gave them some tips on things they could do better, Twitch streamers they could watch, and to do searches on Youtube to help them out. They really wanted to learn and I tried to help them. I also had a couple of good players admit the completely screwed up, which is what good players do. They say "srry, I screwed up." Everybody makes mistakes. Then there were the experienced players who were just awful and blamed everybody else for the loss, called us all shtters, etc. , when they were clearly the reason for the loss. I added them to my blacklist and if they appear on my team I refuse to support them and if they are on the other team, I do everything I can to kill them, esp is a mode I am playing a CV in.

I made a minor error or two, but did not derp a single game. No overextending, or rushing torp boats in their smoke with no hydro, no sailing around broadside and taking cits, etc. Still it did not matter. If I didn't carry I would have won 3-4 games at most.

This is not fun. I completely get where the OP is coming from. Warships should have figured something out by now to keep this from happening. Not all the time mind you, but so often you hear so many streamers complain, entire forum threads like this one, etc. In 3 mans, one really awful player is all it takes. Yes you can overcome it and I did, but not if the other teams players are all decent. If they are, your doomed. You might as well just auto-pilot around the edge of the map and go make coffee, because your doomed.

Losing matches where you are required to win to advance is not fun when you there is nothing you can do about. Even the best players on the server cannot win with some of these players. It is beyond frustrating. It makes something that should be fun, such a miserable experience it drives players away. So instead of releasing new lines of ships or new classes that the majority of players don't want, how bout you fix the basics Wargaming?

Edited by anonym_WrAb0m0ydCdC
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,456
[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,611 posts
16,549 battles
18 minutes ago, nhf said:

The game is also designed to push player win rate to 50%.  Wargaming has a patent for it relative to MM.  Meaning, the better you play, the more big losing streaks you'll have to push you back down towards 50%.  So, if you're a player that usually wins 3 out of 5 games, expect big losing streaks occasionally to push you down towards 50% and you'll be fine. 

The game is designed to penalize veteran players most.  The profit model is based on player churn.  Silly, but true.  WOW knows the money is in new players and wallet warriors.

Random Battles are literally Random.  There is no hidden conspiracy scariness.

I don't want to Derail this into a Matchmaking thread, but our Matchmaker's process is outlined here:

Direct Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7PmOMVLgsE

 

  • Cool 3
  • Meh 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,714
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
3 hours ago, iBrowEcc0 said:

Seems Sus...

That's a non-argument. Almost all for-profit companies keep company secrets. Do you refuse to purchase their goods and services if they do? The privacy status of an individual's stats has absolutely nothing to do with his capacity to assess the individual or cumulative stats of others.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
196
[OVRPN]
[OVRPN]
Beta Testers
402 posts
21,747 battles
1 hour ago, nhf said:

The game is also designed to push player win rate to 50%.  Wargaming has a patent for it relative to MM.  Meaning, the better you play, the more big losing streaks you'll have to push you back down towards 50%.  So, if you're a player that usually wins 3 out of 5 games, expect big losing streaks occasionally to push you down towards 50% and you'll be fine. 

The game is designed to penalize veteran players most.  The profit model is based on player churn.  Silly, but true.  WOW knows the money is in new players and wallet warriors.

 

How does that jive with the ongoing whine about lack of skill based MM? The turnips are in full bloom, lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,302
[PAT]
Members
1,258 posts
15,083 battles
54 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

That's a non-argument. Almost all for-profit companies keep company secrets. Do you refuse to purchase their goods and services if they do? The privacy status of an individual's stats has absolutely nothing to do with his capacity to assess the individual or cumulative stats of others.

And what is your assessment of the cumulative stats of others?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
360 posts
24 minutes ago, ZeroGiven said:

How does that jive with the ongoing whine about lack of skill based MM? The turnips are in full bloom, lately.

One things I have noticed about most people who say these things is their overall win rate is far better in Divs and than solo. So basically, they stack the deck. A balanced matchmaker is not a big deal to them because they div with good players which in essence corrupts the MM in their favor. Lets say 4 unicoms join the match and the rest of the teams are a standard deviation of skill levels. By having 3 uni's, possibly even 4 on their team, they increase their chance of winning dramatically.

Now lets say, we have skill based team distribution. Now the 3 unicom Div goes on one team and the matchmaker puts the remaining unicom and two 55% players on the other team and evenly distributes the rest of the players in between the two teams with more of the better players going on the non Div team to even up the win rates. Now the Div loving unicom players can no longer steamroll the weaker team and their chance of winning drops. Skill base team distribution reduces their win rate, which is why they will do everything in their power to destroy the argument and keep it from happening.

I was always puzzled why so many players with very good win rates are so against skill based team distribution and it wasn't until I took a deeper look that I realized why. While skill base team distribution might be the best thing for the majority of players and even the game itself, it will cause their win rates to go down. They will tell you it is not needed, but the truth is, if skill based team distribution is implemented, their win rates will go down, probably dramatically. Imagine if overnight the Div unicoms start winning only 55% of their matches instead of 60%. Skill base team distribution will put many of them squarely in the middle of the pack, which is something they cannot tolerate.

Pretty sad really.

  • Cool 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,714
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
1 minute ago, SuperSSL said:

And what is your assessment of the cumulative stats of others?

Unfortunately Maple Syrup is no more but the site's data showed about 75% of WOWS players have winrates between 45% and 55%, with a mean slightly below 50%. The data also showed that new players tend to have somewhat worse winrates at first but they get better as player becomes more experienced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,302
[PAT]
Members
1,258 posts
15,083 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

Unfortunately Maple Syrup is no more but the site's data showed about 75% of WOWS players have winrates between 45% and 55%, with a mean slightly below 50%. The data also showed that new players tend to have somewhat worse winrates at first but they get better as player becomes more experienced.

And what do you make of that information?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
196
[OVRPN]
[OVRPN]
Beta Testers
402 posts
21,747 battles
51 minutes ago, ScarRaven said:

One things I have noticed about most people who say these things is their overall win rate is far better in Divs and than solo. So basically, they stack the deck. A balanced matchmaker is not a big deal to them because they div with good players which in essence corrupts the MM in their favor. Lets say 4 unicoms join the match and the rest of the teams are a standard deviation of skill levels. By having 3 uni's, possibly even 4 on their team, they increase their chance of winning dramatically.

Now lets say, we have skill based team distribution. Now the 3 unicom Div goes on one team and the matchmaker puts the remaining unicom and two 55% players on the other team and evenly distributes the rest of the players in between the two teams with more of the better players going on the non Div team to even up the win rates. Now the Div loving unicom players can no longer steamroll the weaker team and their chance of winning drops. Skill base team distribution reduces their win rate, which is why they will do everything in their power to destroy the argument and keep it from happening.

I was always puzzled why so many players with very good win rates are so against skill based team distribution and it wasn't until I took a deeper look that I realized why. While skill base team distribution might be the best thing for the majority of players and even the game itself, it will cause their win rates to go down. They will tell you it is not needed, but the truth is, if skill based team distribution is implemented, their win rates will go down, probably dramatically. Imagine if overnight the Div unicoms start winning only 55% of their matches instead of 60%. Skill base team distribution will put many of them squarely in the middle of the pack, which is something they cannot tolerate.

Pretty sad really.

But if WeeGee uses MM to push people towards 50% WR then they are already use skill based MM. Which is it? Do they or don't they use it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×