You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TriHard_DodgeDealership

brawl mode really showcases the huge flaws in game balance

47 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
190 posts
2,710 battles

theoretically, the game is a balance triangle, kind of a rock paper scissors, BB beat cruiser and lose to DD, cruiser beat DD and lose to BB, DD beat BB and lose to cruiser

in reality playing this brawl mode: cruiser loses to everything, the team with the most cruisers loses 

BBs absolutely shred the cruisers, the only one that even has hopes of living is furutaka. the cruisers get outspotted at the start by DDs, which means they get shot first by BB.

DDs can do ok in this mode too, but in reality, the only classes that have any effect in the game mode are DD and BB. the ideal team comp in brawl is two BB and one DD

it's like rock paper scissors where paper is broken and actually loses to both rock and scissors 

Edited by TriHard_DodgeDealership
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 4

[PHLNX]
Members
555 posts
14,625 battles

It is tougher in tier 6 than in the tiers with radar cruisers, true. However,  I plan to try a smoke cruiser, which were effective in the t6 clan battles season. That may change the equation some. 

[SIT]
Members
102 posts
11,604 battles

well, cruisers dont fare well when brawling. When fighting against a BB, cruisers generally need to be near their max range in order to dodge incoming fire. This game mode requires you to be up close and personal. It's no surprise that cruisers are not good at this game mode. You cant stay at max range, cuz the caps tick the points so fast. 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,411 posts
10,178 battles
3 minutes ago, wyoedbrown said:

I plan to try a smoke cruiser,

Good luck. Emerald AP is crappy for farming BBs. 

• Funny 2

[PHLNX]
Members
555 posts
14,625 battles

Belay my last... I was totally thinking tier 6. This brawl is for tier 5, so I have to say,  I won't be taking any cruisers...

[PVE]
Members
10,596 posts
32,040 battles
20 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

But 4 racks of torps (2 sets on each side that can easily annihilate any T7 BB in it's tier spread...& any T5 with torps to spare...& being single fire you can spare them if you wish) & a rudder shift that rivals many DDs makes for quick work of many BBs...even when charging right at them.

RNG will troll the BBs most often in these scenarios  I've found.

Not that they won't take a big chunk out of you occasionally...but the torp run is usually successful...

& that heal gets you right back in the mix.

Best T5 DD in the game.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Members
1,159 posts
23,992 battles

Yeah noticed that. Cruisers are mostly food. Also even DD AP can severely punish cruisers at this tier. Dealing fire damage, which cruisers excel at, also matters less in this mode. But it is called Brawl and so the consequences should be obvious.

[SALVO]
Members
16,411 posts
10,178 battles
2 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

But 4 racks of torps (2 sets on each side that can easily annihilate any T7 BB in it's tier spread...& any T5 with toros to spare) & a rudder shift that rivals many DDs makes for quick work of many BBs even when charging right at them.

RNG will troll the BBs most often I these scenarios  I've found.

Not that they won't take a big chunk out of you...but the torp run is usually successful...

Best T5 DD in the game.

Oh I throughly agree... My comment was more aimed to address what I read as an intention to engage in HE smoke spam... Which doesn't really exist at T5 outside of the new PA CL.

[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,045 posts
31 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

But 4 racks of torps (2 sets on each side that can easily annihilate any T7 BB in it's tier spread...& any T5 with torps to spare...& being single fire you can spare them if you wish) & a rudder shift that rivals many DDs makes for quick work of many BBs...even when charging right at them.

Not that they won't take a big chunk out of you occasionally...but the torp run is usually successful...

Best T5 DD in the game.

What best t5 DD in the game???? It the Kazes...

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
8,379 posts
29,412 battles

Cruisers at Tier 5 are extremely hard to win in a brawls game.

The only 2 ships I'd take:

Kamikaze & her sisters.

Agincourt or Julio Ceasar.

[ANZ4C]
[ANZ4C]
Members
645 posts
10,685 battles
1 hour ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Cruisers at Tier 5 are extremely hard to win in a brawls game.

The only 2 ships I'd take:

Kamikaze & her sisters.

Agincourt or Julio Ceasar.

Argument can be made for Gremy too, tbh

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Volunteer Moderator
2,629 posts
7,415 battles

Tier V cruisers have next to no armor and will be over matched by their battleship contemporaries. All of them have very exposed citadels and generally poor firepower.
If you're bringing V cruisers into a game mode with 3 ships, I don't know what you're thinking. None of the available tier V cruisers seem strong enough to bother using 1/3 of your team to slot it in.

A "meta" composition to me would be a Kamikaze R & 2 Pyotr Velikiys

• Haha 1

[WPORT]
Members
20,653 posts
22,604 battles
3 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

And DD's can citadel the Emerald by using AP ammunition.

[WPORT]
Members
20,653 posts
22,604 battles
3 hours ago, TriHard_DodgeDealership said:

theoretically, the game is a balance triangle, kind of a rock paper scissors, BB beat cruiser and lose to DD, cruiser beat DD and lose to BB, DD beat BB and lose to cruiser

in reality playing this brawl mode: cruiser loses to everything, the team with the most cruisers loses 

BBs absolutely shred the cruisers, the only one that even has hopes of living is furutaka. the cruisers get outspotted at the start by DDs, which means they get shot first by BB.

DDs can do ok in this mode too, but in reality, the only classes that have any effect in the game mode are DD and BB. the ideal team comp in brawl is two BB and one DD

it's like rock paper scissors where paper is broken and actually loses to both rock and scissors 

Theory and reality sometimes don't line-up.  :-)

Play whatever you can to the best of your ability.

Brawls are about speed and positioning. 
The concept of "Don't island camp and prevent your own guns from being of use" applies to every ship type.
The capture areas are important enough that they cannot be ignored or abandoned.

Edited to add:  Brawls mode is adding variety to the game by not perfectly mirroring teams and ship types.  Personally, I like it.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
5,401 posts
15,670 battles
4 hours ago, TriHard_DodgeDealership said:

It doesnt showcase anything except how different you have to play in a 3 vs 3 game no matter what ship you are playing . This freaks people out because they want to play there CA like its 12 v12 random uh no . Use your torbs bum rush a BB if you get a chance try something different . Everybody has to change up there game or play the same game and blame the loses on WG and balance .

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
8,379 posts
29,412 battles
1 hour ago, _SterlingArcher_ said:

Argument can be made for Gremy too, tbh

Yes he is a strong ginboat at that tier. But when detected,  agincort will absolutely ruin his day with secondaries. 

The only dd that is tough to play against are the ijn fast reloading 3 x 2 torps.... you eventually run out of maneuver ability and eat all the torps.

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
8,379 posts
29,412 battles
3 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Best T5 DD in the game.

Dev strike bait for agincort.... I ripple fired and the first 3 shells dev struck.....

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,434 battles

To be fair, none of the boats in this game have ever been balanced for Brawls, so the ship mileage may vary. They're balanced for Randoms.

[WOLF3]
Members
807 posts
15,775 battles

Brawl mode is just one mode though. They could be just like [edited] and not touch anything for 5 years. <<<<<<<<W A R T H U N D E R

LOL cant believe the censure that word.

Edited by Drifter_X

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
30 minutes ago, Drifter_X said:

cant believe the censure [edited]

I've been told that they do it because they don't want to give a competitor free advertising but it reeks of insecurity to me.

• Cool 1

[JEDI-]
Members
2,828 posts
10,510 battles

I honestly find these brawls refreshing. 

I've been on teams destined to lose and destined to win by make-up with surprising results.

I wish we had this for all tiers.

Members
344 posts
4,217 battles

Give me tier 10 brawls without caps on ship types so I can have that glorious 3v3 all schlieffen all the time hot action.

• Cool 1

[JEDI-]
Members
2,828 posts
10,510 battles
31 minutes ago, Viva_Palestine said:

Exeter has been doing fine.

As free food whenever a BB finds it.

• Cool 1