You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Konception

1/25/22 - New Player Captain’s Log: Cruiser Madness

25 comments in this topic

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
426 posts
580 battles

Greetings Captains, 

Welcome to the second week of the New Player Captain's Log! For those of you who aren't sure what this is or what it might do, feel free to check out the introductory post here.

Without further ado, let’s proceed with Week 2!

Accomplishments
Here’s a list of personal milestones that I hit during the week:

1. Hit the 200 battles mark, and thus left protected matchmaking
2. Participated in my first Operation (more on that below)
3. Grinded the US Cruiser Line to Omaha (only halted due to credits)
4. Obtained the Ranger (so long, Langley!)

Focus Points of the Week
After talking to a number of you in last week’s thread, I made a few changes in focus that I think were beneficial to my learning experience. Here’s a few things I accomplished:
1. Focused on Cruisers more (they were absent from last week’s Log and are a general blindspot in my experience so far).
2. Stayed mainly in Tier IV while I finished out my protected matchmaking games as opposed to exploring later tiers like I had been doing before.
3. Despite it being reported to me that it was exceptionally difficult, I tried out Defense of Naval Station Newport as my first operation. 

Cruisers - Randoms
After Cruisers were noticeably neglected last week, I made a point to make them my main focus this week. The primary reason I was drawn away from cruisers initially was that I perceived them to be middling on everything. Generally speaking, they have less speed/maneuverability than DD and less survivability than BBs, so my understanding was that I would be wiped out quickly when using them. 

So did I have any success when actually playing them? Ehh…yes and no. 

I found that I fared decently well while focusing on Tier IV (surprising literally no one, as I was still in protected matchmaking) but even moving one tier up to Tier V, I was having a bit more trouble. I’m unsure if this is a result of my current skill cap, the fact that I am using the Omaha (which isn’t the best ship, from my understanding), or both.  

Ships I used: Phoenix, Omaha, Perth
Observations: Similar to how I felt about the Nicholas in the DDs section last week, I found that the Phoenix and the Omaha (especially the Omaha) felt really floaty, which required a lot of adjustment on my part in order to land hits. I’ve since discovered that this is a trait that exists throughout the US line, so this may result in me turning my focus to a German line next. I didn’t get too hands-on with the Perth yet, but I did enjoy the little bit of time I spent with her thus far. 

Things I need to be more cognizant of: 
1. Location, location, location - I am struggling mightily on where to best position myself in order to deal effective damage while not getting blapped immediately. 
2. Enemy focus - The general idea I have is to focus on DDs when possible, but I find that makes me overextend myself and then I get targeted by the nearest BB while also being focused by the DD. I need to find the right balance here. 

Lower Tier Play - Protected Matchmaking
Last week, a great point was brought to my attention: Why am I playing at Tier VIII when I am still in protected matchmaking? I brought up the idea that I was gaining knowledge of how different lines begin to distinguish themselves at higher tiers while also getting caught up in a grind for credits, which I was running low on. Interestingly (and shockingly, at least to me) enough, sticking to Tier IV helped me with both of these issues!

While I do think it was important for me to experiment with some later tier stuff to get a better handle on things such as build optimization and consumables, ultimately it was doing more harm than good to my overall development. This week, I stuck to the lower tiers and I found that my overall enjoyment was higher! I dealt more damage, had more wins, and was able to focus on my strategy a bit more without the fear of being outplayed all the time. As a result of this, I farmed credits a lot more efficiently as well. Shoutout to @ArIskandir for the suggestion! :cap_like:

Operations - Defense of Naval Station Newport
I thought about calling this section “Baby’s first Operation” or “Konception just tries his best” but I’ll just keep it direct. :Smile_teethhappy:

As many of you pointed out, Newport is definitely challenging, especially coming from someone who has never done an operation before. Admittedly, I was very lucky to get to run through it with @Ahskance, @Maredraco, @Legionnare, and @SaltySeaGuy among others while on Discord. I do have to admit that I didn’t contribute as much as I would have liked. I believe I got less than 30k damage with no kills, so it was a rather pitiful showing.

However, I truly loved this experience. First, I personally get a lot of enjoyment out of challenging PvE experiences. I love working together with other players in sight of a unified goal. Second, I love that there are multiple levels of achievable success in Operations. Sure, it’s enough to just survive. But I particularly like the fact that if you succeed with flying colors, you are rewarded even more for doing so. I think I might try to make it a regular thing to team up with my fellow WG fam to conquer the weekly Operation. If I do so, I think it would be really cool to provide the replay here along with the Log to see how we worked as a team.

Ship used: Perth
Results: 28k Damage, no kills, 4-Star completion (lost a battery in the literal last seconds of the game, sigh). 
Observations: Off the bat, I can see why Cruisers could be very useful in Ops. Damage output is fast and furious, and you can extend yourself a little further considering you can always go back and heal. As I develop my Cruiser skills, I may continue to focus on them in this setting. Perth seems like a solid choice, but I will probably try out a few others as well. 

1. Don’t be shy (but be a little shy) - I was just too timid on my first go, I think. I never dropped below half health, but I was too worried about dying and not contributing that I…didn’t contribute. Next time, I want to extend a little further out and see if I can get a couple of devastating strikes. Not too far though! 
2. Shake what Papa WG gave me  - I’m not fully confident that I launched a single torp in my first game. While Cruisers do have a bit of range, that isn’t necessarily their bread and butter. I feel like I need to position myself better so that I can lay down some torps and make a real difference.  

I think that about covers it this week! See you next week for some more New Player musings. Fair winds and following seas!:cap_horn:

• Cool 9
  • Meh 5

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
2,396 posts
24,552 battles

So when is the first Solo Warrior? :Smile_honoring:

• Haha 1

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,405 posts
29,482 battles

US cruisers: to avoid the floaty problem go up heavy line. They become tanker as you go up and the Des Moines is a real beast.

IJN cruisers and Italian are kite away cruisers. Italians get the get out of jail smokes.

German cruisers are the best at range cruisers in the game. Can kite or bow in. Their improved HE pen melts enemies.

Russian cruisers,  except petro, excel at long range HE spammers.

Petro is a better battleship.

I would avoid British cruisers until you get better at map awareness, then enjoy their smoke ap light cruisers.

The British heavy cruiser are at range HE hitters.

Dutch cruisers are sit behind, burn everything, except tier 10t GL AP hurts.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your journey. 

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
426 posts
580 battles
10 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

US cruisers: to avoid the floaty problem go up heavy line. They become tanker as you go up and the Des Moines is a real beast.

German cruisers are the best at range cruisers in the game. Can kite or bow in. Their improved HE pen melts enemies.

I actually got some advice from Ahskance that kind of leans in this direction. I am working up the German cruiser line as we speak!

• Meh 3

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
8,405 posts
29,482 battles
35 minutes ago, Konception said:

I actually got some advice from Ahskance that kind of leans in this direction. I am working up the German cruiser line as we speak!

See us scrubs can pass on our learning ....

Just wish my map awareness was much better...

In all seriousness enjoy the journey. 

Currently Sea Raptor has how to play on t7,8 & 9 KLM cruisers on his YouTube channel. He just posted the T9 yesterday. 

Edited by dEsTurbed1
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[VIGIL]
Members
1,441 posts
2 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

See us scrubs can pass on our learning ....

Just wish my map awareness was much better...

In all seriousness enjoy the journey. 

Currently Sea Raptor has how to play on t7,8 & 9 KLM cruisers on his YouTube channel. He just posted the T9 yesterday. 

@SeaRaptor’s videos are great because he doesn’t denigrate people, he consistently talks about why he does what he does, and the bourbon is usually on hand.

• Thanks 1

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
8,405 posts
29,482 battles
1 hour ago, Dudefella said:

@SeaRaptor’s videos are great because he doesn’t denigrate people, he consistently talks about why he does what he does, and the bourbon is usually on hand.

Ohhh bourbon,  my favorite 

• Cool 1

[CUDA]
Members
1,452 posts
13,975 battles

Those thin-skinned light cruisers (like Omaha) you need to spend a lot of time bow-on to anyone shooting at you. It reduces penetrations but more importantly you get fewer hits because the hull is perpendicular to the enemy shell drop pattern. With the Omaha you can get a continuous 6-gun pattern on the target by swerving back and forth across  your bow. If the target is a destroyer you can expose more hull to kill it faster.

Cruisers can really do a lot of damage IF they aren't the juiciest target on the board. I consider a broadside cruiser to be my 1st priority, because of the likelihood of criticals and instant erasing. (Otherwise destroyers are primary targets, to blind the enemy fleet)

• Thanks 1

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
426 posts
580 battles
3 hours ago, Swervenkill said:

Those thin-skinned light cruisers (like Omaha) you need to spend a lot of time bow-on to anyone shooting at you. It reduces penetrations but more importantly you get fewer hits because the hull is perpendicular to the enemy shell drop pattern. With the Omaha you can get a continuous 6-gun pattern on the target by swerving back and forth across  your bow. If the target is a destroyer you can expose more hull to kill it faster.

This is FANTASTIC advice, as my instinct has tended to be to try to turn around/kite/out maneuver incoming fire, which obviously has had mixed success. Thank you!

• Meh 2

[CUDA]
Members
1,452 posts
13,975 battles

Presenting your stern to your enemy also reduces your target profile, but cruisers in a standard ABX turret arrangement only put out a third of the damage that way. Fortunately Omaha doesn't have that problem.

[-AF-]
1,313 posts
16,110 battles
23 hours ago, Konception said:

Greetings Captains, 

Welcome to the second week of the New Player Captain's Log! For those of you who aren't sure what this is or what it might do, feel free to check out the introductory post here.

Accomplishments

Grinded?  :fish_book:   Um, okay.  :cap_wander_2:

Otherwise, nice new player diary.  Seems far ahead where I was at that time. 
 I think early on I struggled a lot with the Isokaze as I focused more on area denial than how to actually play it.  Reminds me that I should rebuy and try it again sometime!
Also by week 2 I didn't have half as many battles, but I was only playing this game during my time when I wasn't playing WoT.  Even now, I split time between them so maybe that's why my progress was quite slow.

Anyway, keep up the Captain's log and let's see how this journey goes!

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
426 posts
580 battles
2 minutes ago, Altwar said:

Also by week 2 I didn't have half as many battles, but I was only playing this game during my time when I wasn't playing WoT.  Even now, I split time between them so maybe that's why my progress was quite slow.

Anyway, keep up the Captain's log and let's see how this journey goes!

While this is indeed week 2 of the Captain's Log, I did start playing before the log started. If I had to guess, I think I am averaging 30 matches or so per week right now. I wish I had the time to play 100 matches or so a week though! :cap_fainting:

And thank you for the kind words!

• Meh 2

Members
3,366 posts
3,065 battles
On 1/25/2022 at 11:00 AM, Konception said:

. Obtained the Ranger (so long, Langley!)

I will warn you, if you think Ranger is better than Langley then you are in for a rude awakening. As I call her, the Citadel Bus has good speed & good AA...that's about it. Prepare to get one shotted. 

14 hours ago, Swervenkill said:

Those thin-skinned light cruisers (like Omaha) you need to spend a lot of time bow-on to anyone shooting at you. It reduces penetrations but more importantly you get fewer hits because the hull is perpendicular to the enemy shell drop pattern.

Thats true most of the time. But if a battleship starts shooting at you from long range, evade as much as possible. Battleship shells can & will smash directly through the front of American scout cruisers. Being a narrow target will be inconsequential if he crosses your T(i.e, turns side-on & slows down)because he can have all his guns saturating your position. This also means you can only fire your front cannons. 

When evading, make an erratic maneuver every now & then to keep the enemy player guessing. If you are attempting to close the range, sail to wherever the previous shots landed; in "correcting" their aim players will rarely shoot the same spot if they just missed.

[WPORT]
Members
20,804 posts
22,691 battles

Congratulations on emerging from the protected match-making, @Konception.
I shall look for you on the virtual seas.  

Personally, I feel the Friant is fun to play.  Since you've chosen to explore the German Cruiser line, you'll find some competent 'Botes there, too.

[LSNB]
Members
1,809 posts
7,582 battles

Nice new player diary; I'm interested in seeing your journey. It definitely helps to have good teachers like Boggzy and Ahskance supporting you and helping you improve.

• Thanks 1

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
426 posts
580 battles
11 hours ago, black_hull4 said:

When evading, make an erratic maneuver every now & then to keep the enemy player guessing. If you are attempting to close the range, sail to wherever the previous shots landed; in "correcting" their aim players will rarely shoot the same spot if they just missed.

I had a small chuckle to myself at this, because I am sure my inexperienced movement already looks erratic to most. :Smile_veryhappy: Seriously though, the concept of sailing to the previous shot is genius, I am most certainly going to keep that in mind in my Cruiser (and perhaps also DD) play. 

11 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Congratulations on emerging from the protected match-making, @Konception.
I shall look for you on the virtual seas.  

If you see me, be gentile! It's only my 200th+ time! :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1
  • Meh 2

[WPORT]
Members
20,804 posts
22,691 battles
1 minute ago, Konception said:

If you see me, be gentile! It's only my 200th+ time! :Smile_teethhappy:

We have a saying in my family, "this is cards".
We laugh and have fun and teach patiently, but in games of cards we play to win.  :-)

• Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,509 posts
10,225 battles
On 1/25/2022 at 1:00 PM, Konception said:

Shoutout to @ArIskandir for the suggestion! :cap_like:

Your are welcome mate. Tho I need to be honest, I have this thesis about new players skipping low tiers entirely to favor higher tiers (just like you did) because on paper it makes more sense (economy wise) and in reality it can be done without too much trouble. In the vast majority of MMOs, level 10 is better than level 4, why would you want to play at a lower level if you can play at a higher one?. It is a natural misconception of new players (a baggage from other games) and WoWS imo actually makes it worse by having a lot of mechanisms promoting tier progression  (missions, campaigns, increased payout and rewards). So I was very interested in watching your natural evolution as a new player but had to open my mouth and now I "spoiled" the experiment :Smile_teethhappy:

Location, location, location

Without a doubt this is the most important skill you need to develop, sadly is the less intuitive and most difficult to learn, usually comes with experience. The basic evaluation goes by:

1. Understanding your ships abilities, strengths and weaknesses. Understanding how to maximize the positives and minimize the negatives. A big part of this is knowing which is your "preferred terrain", the most advantageous environment for you to operate.
  2. Evaluating enemy comp and terrain. Understanding the challenges you face will help you define the most effective role to play in the match. For example, when as top tier you might be a very effective spearhead, at bottom tier it could be suicidal and you must adopt a support role.
  3. Once you know yourself, your enemy and the terrain, you can evaluate the way to maximize your victory chances on the match, that's the most awesome part of this game... to device a strat that leads you to victory. It might be taking a cap, sinking or neutralizing a key enemy ship, stalling a flank to win time for your team, acting as decoy and tanking damage, etc... there's a host of roles and potential paths to winning the match, the variability is just amazing and it is what keeps the game fresh after thousands of iterations. 

TL;DR: This comes with experience. To shortcut ride on the experience of others, Div up with your mates (you are lucky they are excellent) and let them guide you, watch out where they position and ask them why you do deploy in that particular place and not "over there". 

Enemy focus - The general idea I have is to focus on DDs when possible, but I find that makes me overextend myself and then I get targeted by the nearest BB while also being focused by the DD. I need to find the right balance here. 

First focus on surviving, really. 

Second, focus in terms of trades... you will trade HP for every interaction, make an assessment if such interaction is worth the price you pay. The most common "newbie" mistake is trading your ship for a couple Ks of damage on an irrelevant target (CLs firing on BBs when there's nothing to gain is the classic example). If the interaction is good for you (you get a good return for your HP investment) then take it, if it is a bad trade (you risk losing more than you gain) then don't take that trade, be patient an look for a better one. 

There's a detail about cruiser gameplay that vexes me terribly. The difficulty progression runs backwards, low-mid tier cruisers are (imo) actually more difficult to play than higher tiered cruisers. while low-mid tier BB and DD gameplay is safer and simpler than in higher tiers, their cruiser brethren walk a very thorny path between being being effective and being deleted, it is not a "newbie" friendly experience. Honestly I would recommend leaving the "cruiser lesson" for last, it is the most difficult of the fourth types at low-mid tiers.

• Cool 1

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
426 posts
580 battles
4 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

First focus on surviving, really. 

This is a lesson that @Maredracohas reminded me of a few times. When learning, sometimes it's better to stay alive in exchange for less damage/kills. Shooting boats is easy enough to grasp, but staying alive is a skill all in its own.

7 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Second, focus in terms of trades... you will trade HP for every interaction, make an assessment if such interaction is worth the price you pay. The most common "newbie" mistake is trading your ship for a couple Ks of damage on an irrelevant target (CLs firing on BBs when there's nothing to gain is the classic example). If the interaction is good for you (you get a good return for your HP investment) then take it, if it is a bad trade (you risk losing more than you gain) then don't take that trade, be patient an look for a better one. 

Trades is something that @Ahskancehas been trying to reinforce with me as well. I think I was trying to think too logically/statistically about trades when I should just be thinking more practically and strategically. "Does it make sense for me to take this on?"

12 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Honestly I would recommend leaving the "cruiser lesson" for last, it is the most difficult of the fourth types at low-mid tiers.

I'm glad you brought this up, because I was starting to feel a bit discouraged with my cruiser play. When this happens, I like to hop back into my comfy BBs and get my confidence back up slightly, lol. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,509 posts
10,225 battles
4 minutes ago, Konception said:

I'm glad you brought this up, because I was starting to feel a bit discouraged with my cruiser play. When this happens, I like to hop back into my comfy BBs and get my confidence back up slightly, lol. 

Oh that's a documented fact, don't sweat about it... let me tell you my story... I'm a bit particular in the sense I've been playing this game progressing mostly one tier at a time, meaning I first played ALL the T4 ships, then ALL the T5 ships, then ALL the T6 and so on... this has given me a rather unique outlook on tier progression, down there are my Random stats per ship type, I'm currently starting my T9 grind:

JKu1ZYe.png

Starting at T7 I had between 52-53%  in cruisers and over 56% in DDs, BBs have been steadily over 57-58%. 

BBs are overall easier, without any doubt they are the simplest, easiest and more "newbie" friendly class of all. 

DDs are a bit more complex and risky to play but still fairly easy until you get up to T7. T7 DDs sucks. Up to that point there's this linear progression rule where DDs get more powerful but lose concealment in return, that changes at T8 where DDs get both more power AND better concealment due to the Concealment module, that places T7 in a very uncomfortable slot and in my case it translated in diminished influence and thus WR I dropped from 56 to below 55. T8 DDs are generally quite good so I clawed back to over 55 but there's the caveat that higher tier DDs usually require high level Captains to be competitive and sometimes that's a problem for me... particularly for specialized gun boat lines, those are very skill hungry.

Then we finally have Cruisers, I've been clawing my way up from 52% at T6. Cruisers from T6 and below have very very low survival rating, the simpler way to put it is "Don't get shot", how to maximize your damage output and contribution without getting shot is not a simple skill to learn. The higher you go, the better the plating and you get healing abilities, the better your chance to survive and contribute to victory. For me the equivalent would be imagining a Minotaur without heal, that's what it feels to play a T5 CL. 

• Cool 1

Wiki Editor
10 posts
4,452 battles

Greetings Captains, 

Accomplishments

4. Obtained the Ranger (so long, Langley!)

Focus Points of the Week
After talking to a number of you in last week’s thread, I made a few changes in focus that I think were beneficial to my learning experience. Here’s a few things I accomplished:
1. Focused on Cruisers more (they were absent from last week’s Log and are a general blindspot in my experience so far).
2. Stayed mainly in Tier IV while I finished out my protected matchmaking games as opposed to exploring later tiers like I had been doing before.
3. Despite it being reported to me that it was exceptionally difficult, I tried out Defense of Naval Station Newport as my first operation. 

Cruisers - Randoms
After Cruisers were noticeably neglected last week, I made a point to make them my main focus this week. The primary reason I was drawn away from cruisers initially was that I perceived them to be middling on everything. Generally speaking, they have less speed/maneuverability than DD and less survivability than BBs, so my understanding was that I would be wiped out quickly when using them. 

So did I have any success when actually playing them? Ehh…yes and no. 

I found that I fared decently well while focusing on Tier IV (surprising literally no one, as I was still in protected matchmaking) but even moving one tier up to Tier V, I was having a bit more trouble. I’m unsure if this is a result of my current skill cap, the fact that I am using the Omaha (which isn’t the best ship, from my understanding), or both.  

Ships I used: Phoenix, Omaha, Perth
Observations: Similar to how I felt about the Nicholas in the DDs section last week, I found that the Phoenix and the Omaha (especially the Omaha) felt really floaty, which required a lot of adjustment on my part in order to land hits. I’ve since discovered that this is a trait that exists throughout the US line, so this may result in me turning my focus to a German line next. I didn’t get too hands-on with the Perth yet, but I did enjoy the little bit of time I spent with her thus far.  

1. Location, location, location - I am struggling mightily on where to best position myself in order to deal effective damage while not getting blapped immediately. 
2. Enemy focus - The general idea I have is to focus on DDs when possible, but I find that makes me overextend myself and then I get targeted by the nearest BB while also being focused by the DD. I need to find the right balance here. 

Lower Tier Play - Protected Matchmaking
Last week, a great point was brought to my attention: Why am I playing at Tier VIII when I am still in protected matchmaking? I brought up the idea that I was gaining knowledge of how different lines begin to distinguish themselves at higher tiers while also getting caught up in a grind for credits, which I was running low on. Interestingly (and shockingly, at least to me) enough, sticking to Tier IV helped me with both of these issues!

While I do think it was important for me to experiment with some later tier stuff to get a better handle on things such as build optimization and consumables, ultimately it was doing more harm than good to my overall development. This week, I stuck to the lower tiers and I found that my overall enjoyment was higher! I dealt more damage, had more wins, and was able to focus on my strategy a bit more without the fear of being outplayed all the time. As a result of this, I farmed credits a lot more efficiently as well. Shoutout to @ArIskandir for the suggestion! :cap_like:

Operations - Defense of Naval Station Newport
I thought about calling this section “Baby’s first Operation” or “Konception just tries his best” but I’ll just keep it direct. :Smile_teethhappy:

As many of you pointed out, Newport is definitely challenging, especially coming from someone who has never done an operation before. Admittedly, I was very lucky to get to run through it with @Ahskance, @Maredraco, @Legionnare, and @SaltySeaGuy among others while on Discord. I do have to admit that I didn’t contribute as much as I would have liked. I believe I got less than 30k damage with no kills, so it was a rather pitiful showing.

However, I truly loved this experience. First, I personally get a lot of enjoyment out of challenging PvE experiences. I love working together with other players in sight of a unified goal. Second, I love that there are multiple levels of achievable success in Operations. Sure, it’s enough to just survive. But I particularly like the fact that if you succeed with flying colors, you are rewarded even more for doing so. I think I might try to make it a regular thing to team up with my fellow WG fam to conquer the weekly Operation. If I do so, I think it would be really cool to provide the replay here along with the Log to see how we worked as a team.

Ship used: Perth
Results: 28k Damage, no kills, 4-Star completion (lost a battery in the literal last seconds of the game, sigh). 
Observations: Off the bat, I can see why Cruisers could be very useful in Ops. Damage output is fast and furious, and you can extend yourself a little further considering you can always go back and heal. As I develop my Cruiser skills, I may continue to focus on them in this setting. Perth seems like a solid choice, but I will probably try out a few others as well. 

1. Don’t be shy (but be a little shy) - I was just too timid on my first go, I think. I never dropped below half health, but I was too worried about dying and not contributing that I…didn’t contribute. Next time, I want to extend a little further out and see if I can get a couple of devastating strikes. Not too far though! 
2. Shake what Papa WG gave me  - I’m not fully confident that I launched a single torp in my first game. While Cruisers do have a bit of range, that isn’t necessarily their bread and butter. I feel like I need to position myself better so that I can lay down some torps and make a real difference.  

I think that about covers it this week! See you next week for some more New Player musings. Fair winds and following seas!:cap_horn:

Get used to the "floaty" of USN: it's the nation's trademark. It's a lot harder to hit shots, but it's also a lot easier to arc over islands. Given that USN DDs, CLs, and CAs are relatively fragile in the current meta, you'll want to get used to arcing shots over islands.

The other option is of course open water play, but that requires a bit more effort to learn – not to mention the correct ships to learn it in. Omaha, for example, eats citadels from every angle, making standard "angle out and kite" tactics ill-advised. But Dallas and Pensacola? That's where you start seeing good kiting play.

As for torps: in most cruisers, use them only as self defense.

I'd offer more advice, but it's been a long time since I've played much low-tiers. I feel obligated to shill wiki, so go check those pages out! We're still working through the Pan-Asian cruisers, but as a new player, you're the target audience for our guides. If there's something that you feel needs improvement, feel free to stop by the Discord and let us know.

Good luck, and good hunting!

Edited by AlphaDeltaEpsilon
  • Thanks 1

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
426 posts
580 battles
1 hour ago, AlphaDeltaEpsilon said:

I feel obligated to shill wiki, so go check those pages out! We're still working through the Pan-Asian cruisers, but as a new player, you're the target audience for our guides. If there's something that you feel needs improvement, feel free to stop by the Discord and let us know.

Shill away! The Wiki is TERRIFIC! Thanks for your hard work!

• Boring 1

[WOLFO]
[WOLFO]
Members
2,389 posts
10,247 battles
On 1/25/2022 at 11:00 AM, Konception said:

If I do so, I think it would be really cool to provide the replay here along with the Log to see how we worked as a team.

gosh, that sounds great.

And I am not just talking about the alien and foreign concept of 'working together', 'team-play', 'common objectives'.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, WoWS Community Contributors
2,783 posts
15,309 battles
On 1/25/2022 at 7:46 PM, Dudefella said:

I do TRY to talk about why I'm making certain plays, but at times it can get lost in the heat of the moment.  With that said, I also make an effort to respond to comments on videos so if folks have questions feel free to ask.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[WGPB]
Members
816 posts
On 1/28/2022 at 2:00 PM, ArIskandir said:

THIS!!!!  Stay stealth until there is something worth shooting at. I just ran a game where I traded my Salem for both red dd's and a Petro, and kept our dd's alive. I considered blinding the reds and saving our dd's worth the trade. (We won). Omaha has range. Park behind cover and use he at distance to  burn stuff down. Low/mid tier cruisers are squishy (Try Mikoyan some day!). Survive and plan ahead.

• Thanks 1