You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GUTB

Intensely Boring. Solutions?

44 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
783 posts
4,031 battles

Being a F2P game, it's accepted that the lowest-quality players will be playing it. The fragility of ships which rely on RNG for survival and also for doing damage will cause these players to hide all game while taking potshots around the edges of islands and smoke clouds. They wait for a carry or for when the RNG causes one side to shift on the scale enough for players to feel safe to hunt down the remaining enemies. The problem is, this is a very, VERY boring meta. Moreover due to reliance on RNG and being so fragile it's uncommon for anyone to carry the team on their own, no matter how good they are. WG likes the games to fit within 20 minutes, so ships needs to die quickly so that they can move on to the next match. Also the bad players like this pace too since if they lose they can go into a new match quickly. So there's benefits to having weak ships that rely on RNG.

But what about the good players? They are being forced to play this awful meta. It's not fun. Being aggressive, being daring are determents. RNG will ensure that sooner or later your fragile ship is going to be trashed. We can't do anything about the bad players. It's a F2P game so they come with the territory. But, there SHOULD be a way to reward good players with an enjoyable experience. For example, why not make the ships tougher so that everyone feels better about sticking their necks out? Keep the 20 minute format, or maybe reduce it to 15 minutes. Let matches be decided by points if it comes down to it.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 10

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,729 posts
26,569 battles

Solution: find a more interesting game. You're a notorious complainer, so one would think you're not having fun here. Why stay?

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 3

Beta Testers
783 posts
4,031 battles
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

Solution: find a more interesting game. You're a notorious complainer, so one would think you're not having fun here. Why stay?

You think this meta is fun? Why not attack boring gameplay instead of me?

• Haha 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 3

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
5,411 posts
15,683 battles
19 minutes ago, GUTB said:

But what about the good players? They are being forced to play this awful meta.

There are people who would say good players created this meta . 

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 2

[-TKS-]
Members
1,706 posts
16,775 battles
25 minutes ago, GUTB said:

why not make the ships tougher so that everyone feels better about sticking their necks out?

BBs should have more imo. less complaining of torp, he spam, cv spam when pushing.

Edited by Merc_R_Us

Beta Testers
783 posts
4,031 battles

Oh yeah I noticed something interesting playing over the last few days. Everyone is aiming normally -- ie, trying to adjust for long range shots, not just hitting dead center from the first salvo. Clearly guessing on obstructed shots (ie over mountains). So I went researching the common cheat sites, maybe they're being detected? Know what I found? All gone! Even the largest (AFAIK) cheat site and I believe the main cheat client for WOWS are gone. Last twitter posts from like 6 months ago. I did find a major cheat site which was advertising a WOWS cheat but the "buy now" button just goes to their forum which had nothing on WOWS. Guys I believe they finally got shut down. And just like that, suddenly, everyone at tier 10 aims normally? Last time I was in the game, about a year ago, this wasn't the case at all. Whenever I complained about cheating, I would get the usual denials, trying to gaslight me that at T10 everyone is super skilled, etc. No they're not, it's that cheats were way more common than what you guys believed. And now that they're gone these T10 players stopped being skilled? Lol.

Edited by GUTB
  • Funny 1
  • Sad 2
  • Meh 4

[-K--]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,172 posts
10,843 battles
27 minutes ago, clammboy said:

There are people who would say good players created this meta . 

IMO CVs are largely responsible for it. Without them the matches are usually a lot more fun. 

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 4

Members
221 posts
11,670 battles
56 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Oh yeah I noticed something interesting playing over the last few days. Everyone is aiming normally -- ie, trying to adjust for long range shots, not just hitting dead center from the first salvo. Clearly guessing on obstructed shots (ie over mountains). So I went researching the common cheat sites, maybe they're being detected? Know what I found? All gone! Even the largest (AFAIK) cheat site and I believe the main cheat client for WOWS are gone. Last twitter posts from like 6 months ago. I did find a major cheat site which was advertising a WOWS cheat but the "buy now" button just goes to their forum which had nothing on WOWS. Guys I believe they finally got shut down. And just like that, suddenly, everyone at tier 10 aims normally? Last time I was in the game, about a year ago, this wasn't the case at all. Whenever I complained about cheating, I would get the usual denials, trying to gaslight me that at T10 everyone is super skilled, etc. No they're not, it's that cheats were way more common than what you guys believed. And now that they're gone these T10 players stopped being skilled? Lol.

Lol complaining about aim cheats in WoWs, It is so easy to aim in this game, even over obstacles, it's not even worth cheating. Just use minimap circle bro. Sounds like a get gud issue. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
31,080 posts
29,325 battles
1 hour ago, GUTB said:

Being a F2P game, it's accepted that the lowest-quality players will be playing it. 

So being a pay-to-play game would ensure a lack of bad players? Is that what you're saying?

You DO realize that there are whale players in this game who can't find their aft with both hands and a mirror, right? That "buy your way to Tier 10" is one of the more frequently-heard complaints in this game recently? How do you square that with what you've said here? 

Your attitude smacks of putting up a paywall to shut out the riff-raff. You want to use money to exclude people from your experience that you have no desire to interact with? Slippery-slope, anyone?

Newsflash: some of them are going to get through anyway, and then you will be whining about wallet-warriors making your experience miserable.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[P0TS]
Members
120 posts
3,883 battles
1 hour ago, GUTB said:

You think this meta is fun? Why not attack boring gameplay instead of me?

Because you are always complaining?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,312 posts
23,671 battles
2 hours ago, GUTB said:

Being a F2P game, it's accepted that the lowest-quality players will be playing it. The fragility of ships which rely on RNG for survival and also for doing damage will cause these players to hide all game while taking potshots around the edges of islands and smoke clouds. They wait for a carry or for when the RNG causes one side to shift on the scale enough for players to feel safe to hunt down the remaining enemies. The problem is, this is a very, VERY boring meta. Moreover due to reliance on RNG and being so fragile it's uncommon for anyone to carry the team on their own, no matter how good they are. WG likes the games to fit within 20 minutes, so ships needs to die quickly so that they can move on to the next match. Also the bad players like this pace too since if they lose they can go into a new match quickly. So there's benefits to having weak ships that rely on RNG.

But what about the good players? They are being forced to play this awful meta. It's not fun. Being aggressive, being daring are determents. RNG will ensure that sooner or later your fragile ship is going to be trashed. We can't do anything about the bad players. It's a F2P game so they come with the territory. But, there SHOULD be a way to reward good players with an enjoyable experience. For example, why not make the ships tougher so that everyone feels better about sticking their necks out? Keep the 20 minute format, or maybe reduce it to 15 minutes. Let matches be decided by points if it comes down to it.

Focus on your gameplay and worry not about the other players gameplay. 

Enter battle. Fight it out. Evaluate your performance and decisions (do not blame or credit your results on RNG) do not evaluate the other players. Rinse repeat for fun and profit. 

Play everything. That way you can support or counter the current Meta. If you think the current Meta is boring counter it.

There is plenty of fun to be found in this game there are so many ways to play it. Perhaps you should try coop or operations. 

If you can not find the fun that is OK just move to a game that you can.

Cheers.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[CUDA]
Members
1,449 posts
13,955 battles

Actually I think  you have it backwards. the Free-to-play players have to actually work through the levels to be able to buy the tier 10 ships and thus have more guaranteed experience than the people who can buy a premium ship and start out at any tier they pay for. It takes me 2 weeks to a month to get the credits together for a tier 10 ship and that's after I've worked up the rest of the line.

As far as the slow development and boringness of randoms, that's called tactics. If you want more, faster action WOWs isn't the game for you. 

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
179 posts
5 hours ago, GUTB said:

Pass me whatever you are smoking, only way to explain this.....cheating.....must be "good stuff" you are smoking.....

[JEDI-]
Members
2,829 posts
10,536 battles

Op if you aren't happy, maybe give the game a break, go play something else and check back to see if it's adjusted to your liking in some fashion.

I don't understand harping on a game you don't seem to like but continue to play. Either you are enjoying it more than you say or you are addicted.

Either way, why play something you don't enjoy when there are many games out there to play?

Edited by xalmgrey

[0456]
Members
3,945 posts
10,545 battles
4 hours ago, GUTB said:

Muh bored... 

Taking a year off helped me. Not spending any money helped lower my expectations... and my general sentiment about time spent playing it. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,729 posts
26,569 battles
4 hours ago, GUTB said:

Why not attack boring gameplay instead of me?

If you consider that a personal attack, you may need some coffee.

Mature people stop doing an optional activity they do not enjoy.

• Cool 3

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

Some of you are outrageous.

The OP detailed a number of truths we all do not dare speak of related to Wows specifically.

Instead some of you choose to razz, bully, attack or flame OP for daring to ... complain as some of you put it. Because you think anything he has to say due to a percieved history of complaining means nothing to you all? HA the nerve. Why even reply? It would be better you did not reply.

In the meantime the original issues or questions brought up remain undiscussed here. Everything else is all heavy lifting trying to pry OP out of the game.

Wows has issues and I for one would love to go over all of them put up by OP. I cannot be bothered too much of some of you thinking that somehow I am the problem rather than the game product itself. Its not perfect.

Other games? Certainly. There are several pending release on Steam and Origin for navy battles both old and new. Wows would find themselves marginalized because they failed to address the boring issues in between Tiers One and Five as much as they neglect that, they sure do bend over backwards on Tiers six through ten.

• Cool 2
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,729 posts
26,569 battles
4 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

Instead some of you choose to razz, bully, attack or flame OP for daring to ... complain as some of you put it. Because you think anything he has to say due to a percieved history of complaining means nothing to you all?

OP built his reputation all by himself, through hard work and tireless effort.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2
  • Thanks 1

[MOPAR]
Members
256 posts
4,587 battles

Honestly I'd love to see AP cits toned down, and in return overpen dmg buffed. This would reduce spikey dmg while making ap more consistent. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[0456]
Members
3,945 posts
10,545 battles
6 minutes ago, arch4random said:

is RNG the reason why , no matter what you do your going to lose?

A large majority of the time it'll be a factor. Is it intentional and engineered to work this way... doubtful. I mean it sure feels like it sometimes... but I really doubt it. 

If you're really good or really bad you can have an impact on the likelihood of winning or losing respectively. 

0 posts

The phenomenon of social media.

Rather than be your own, it encourages the behavior of looking to the best and copy them. Heck, some don't even click the mouse. So you got all these players looking around to see, "whats other guy doing."

Rather than, "what am I doing."

Thats pretty much the gameplay.

You gotta do homework to play this game

Because this game is a chore. (heyo~~)

• Funny 1