You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Zaydin

WG has made it way too easy to reach tier 10

52 comments in this topic

[WKY19]
Beta Testers
2,673 posts
19,273 battles

Back when I first started playing with the Closed Beta and the wipe with the transition to Open Beta and then live, it took me two years from 2015 to 2017 to get my first tier 10, the Des Moines.

Now I've run into players who don't even have 800 matches total who rushed up the tech tree to tier 10 and then have no idea how to play their ships properly or how to play at tier 10.

It's just frustrating to be going into matches like that and feeling handicapped because you have teammates who rushed rather than taking their time to learn the game and thus aren't performing their best because of it.

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 10
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 6

[TO07]
[TO07]
Members
176 posts
5,568 battles

I wouldn’t have ground away for 2 years to earn up a ship class. 

Edited by D_o_W_0779
  • Cool 3

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,729 posts
26,569 battles

Clueless players exist at every tier and have as long as the game has existed, that:s nothing new.

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 2

[KAG2]
Members
2,248 posts
37,022 battles
11 minutes ago, Lert said:

Clueless players exist at every tier and have as long as the game has existed, that:s nothing new.

Yep, except now there are allot more of them. WG methods have actually inadvertently encourage it

[WOLFC]
Members
6,103 posts
17,241 battles

The changes to the economy and the greater ease in reaching high tiers as the game ages makes sense when you consider the amount of content that has been added over the years. There is a lot more to research in the tech tree than when the game launched. Back then there were only a few tier Xs to research, so reaching them needed to be arduous to keep players engaged and working towards an “end game” goal. Now that there are dozens of tech trees to climb such an approach isn’t needed and would likely actively discourage newer players, because there would be a sense that much of the game’s content would be out of reach.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 3

[ARGSY]
Members
31,082 posts
29,342 battles
2 hours ago, Zaydin said:

Back when I first started playing with the Closed Beta and the wipe with the transition to Open Beta and then live, it took me two years from 2015 to 2017 to get my first tier 10, the Des Moines.

Now I've run into players who don't even have 800 matches total who rushed up the tech tree to tier 10 and then have no idea how to play their ships properly or how to play at tier 10.

It's just frustrating to be going into matches like that and feeling handicapped because you have teammates who rushed rather than taking their time to learn the game and thus aren't performing their best because of it.

Yeah, but did you rush up or did you play other ships along the way? I could have reached my first T10 a lot earlier than I did, but I have literally MILLIONS of XP on premium ships of various tiers, and on tech trees other than the first line I picked, which made getting there a significantly longer process.

Even if you made it twice as hard as it is now, there would STILL be people who would mindlessly grind their way up to the top without stopping to learn anything useful. You can't change them, and you can't demand that WG remove or restrict them just because it makes some of your battles harder.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

Members
201 posts
12,903 battles

The grind through the tiers at the moment is fine. What caused the problems are the high tier ships you can buy!

Members
402 posts
11,526 battles
28 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

The changes to the economy and the greater ease in reaching high tiers as the game ages makes sense when you consider the amount of content that has been added over the years. There is a lot more to research in the tech tree than when the game launched. Back then there were only a few tier Xs to research, so reaching them needed to be arduous to keep players engaged and working towards an “end game” goal. Now that there are dozens of tech trees to climb such an approach isn’t needed and would likely actively discourage newer players, because there would be a sense that much of the game’s content would be out of reach.

100% this.  If you join a multiplayer game as a new player, you need to not just be told, but to believe that you can eventually compete on the same level as people who have been playing the game for much longer.  For WoWs, that means being able to obtain a large number of high tier ships.  It makes sense that it's easier to get to high tiers now both to keep new players in the game and to not make seasoned vets slug through the lower tiers forever on their way to the high tiers when new ship lines are released. 

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,340 posts
11,772 battles

But... new players will struggle to get a reasonable amount of the things required to grind faster.

And newer ship lines cost more xp than the originally available ones.

The only readily available thing making grinds shorter is warships premium, but the bonus difference is tiny. The only way to fix this would be to require several of a tier to advance any line to the next tier. Say... 1 T1 to hit T2, 2 T2s to hit T3, 3 T3s to hit T4, etc. But then that'd be obnoxious. Who wants to grind out 9 T9s to get your first T10? In this example, of course.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup
  • Cool 1

[X-PN]
Members
3,841 posts
17,725 battles
8 hours ago, Lert said:

....and yet mid tier play is more insufferable than it's ever been.  Tier 9 and 10 game are a greater percentage of total games and the maths say there will be more bottom tier games to support the greater high tier play.

Exhibit A:  Tier 7

I tracked tier 6 through 8 for a few hundred games last year, and getting about twice as many bottom tier to top games is what most players should expect.

[WOLFG]
Members
17,121 posts
20,520 battles
7 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

....and yet mid tier play is more insufferable than it's ever been.  Tier 9 and 10 game are a greater percentage of total games and the maths say there will be more bottom tier games to support the greater high tier play.

WG has a plan for that.

(SS)

[WOLFX]
Members
814 posts
1,713 battles

WoWS does not exist to maker you a better player.

It is there to offer you the experience of playing, whatever you like at whatever rank you want to have a go at.

[-AF-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,310 posts
16,087 battles
8 hours ago, D_o_W_0779 said:

I wouldn’t have ground away for 2 years to earn up a ship class. 

To each, their own.  For some players, its not about getting to the top.  It's about enjoying the journey on the way there.

I took my time as I do in tanks because I wanted to play a certain amount of battles in each ship before progressing to the next.  Because I had few port slots and was F2P and had the # of battles as an additional plan, I remember being out of luck when the Indianapolis directives/missions were going on as I only had the Graf Spee as a ship that could engage in those missions.  As a result, I started to push up to mid tiers and reduced my # of battles per ship requirement to at least be in contention when the next ship directives/missions arrived.  It's one thing to not push because I'm enjoying each ship but it's quite another to miss out on opportunities to get free or reduced cost ships.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
31,082 posts
29,342 battles
2 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

The only readily available thing making grinds shorter is warships premium, but the bonus difference is tiny.

65% greater ship XP and 50% greater credits is not exactly tiny. 

4 minutes ago, Altwar said:

As a result, I started to push up to mid tiers and reduced my # of battles per ship requirement to at least be in contention when the next ship directives/missions arrived.

I also learned that lesson the hard way six months earlier; although in the expanding of my fleet I took care to say to myself, "Just high enough to be able to do the next event; no need to rush it past that."

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,342 posts
9,621 battles

The game is old enough that players could have failed their way to Tier X by now regardless of how grindy it was.  This complaint simply isn’t reasonable this late in the game’s life.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,340 posts
11,772 battles
59 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

65% greater ship XP and 50% greater credits is not exactly tiny. 

Thing is... it's not about the 65%. We're talking about when the game first launched, and you already had the ability to get 50%.

Thus, the difference is the 15% on top of the 50%. Faster? Slightly. But new ship lines require more and more xp to grind through. If you're grinding for one of the oldest lines in the game, sure, it'll be somewhat faster. But between no longer getting signals from achievements and that one might be grinding for a new ship line, that difference becomes increasingly small unless you buy signals.

And let's not forget that super signals are horribly difficult to get any large number of, so one might as well write them off unless one of those rarely available overpriced bundles just happens to be available. Not only that, but new players wouldn't know that stacking almost all of them would result in massive amounts of Fxp.

Not to mention that, while events often give plenty of camos, plenty of these events also don't give many, meaning that, unless they drop considerable doubloons, they aren't getting guarenteed camos... which, I might add, almost certainly was an option back in the day, too. It certainly was when I started in the second year.

That said, there's also clan bonuses, but, honestly, many newbies won't even have those, let alone know they exist so they desire to have them. The bonuses, that is, not the clans.

Edit: Really, the biggest issue is that, rather than it being faster, destroyer grinds are significantly faster. The hardest ships in the game also require the least xp. Thus, teams will have less experienced DDs on average when it comes to purely new players. This also results in fewer points on the commander, meaning that you have DDs, the most point hungry ship type, having less points on average. Thus, you have less skilled, point starved DDs throwing matches due to the sheer impact a DD has. Likewise, cruisers also take less than BBs, and cruisers are highly explosive when BBs look at them funny. BBs, meanwhile, are fairly simple.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,830 posts

2 years to get a T10....

I think i had 2-3 T10 by the time i hit 800 games on Release...

[REVEN]
Members
610 posts

thats stupid if it takes 2 year to get a T10, I'd quit this game for sure if they do so

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
7,362 posts
16,186 battles
10 hours ago, Zaydin said:

Yes, WG saw their mistake and corrected it. Not many people are going to grind for a year, much less 2 to reach the top.

CVs, subs, hybrid ships are all to attract a larger & younger player base.  You shouldn't be surprised they made the grind easier.

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
7,362 posts
16,186 battles
1 hour ago, Altwar said:

To each, their own.  For some players, its not about getting to the top.  It's about enjoying the journey on the way there.

Yes, each to his own. One can still travel the same path you enjoy. But I would imagine an overwhelming majority will opted for the easier route to T10.

[_TKS_]
[_TKS_]
Members
1,498 posts
16,182 battles
11 hours ago, Zaydin said:

wow . you discount re-rolls. also, the grind to T10 sucks. if its faster for players today then, GREAT. however,  WG loses by making the grind faster, instead, they made more avenues to pay to accelerate the grind.