You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rusty_Python

Maass-ive disappointment

5 comments in this topic

[SPTR]
Members
2,319 posts
3,775 battles

So I've been struggling though the Maass off and on for close to a year now if I remember right...and I just cannot figure out what makes her tick. Is this pile at all competitive nowadays? The guns do no damage to anything, turrets turn painfully slow, concealment is bad, handling is meh at best, torpedoes are too situational to use as a torpedo boat, but she also doesn't have the range or handling to be a gunboat. T7 is crawling with cruisers and DD's that just outperform Maass in every way. Never hated a ship for this long....

[-RUM-]
Members
379 posts
7,489 battles

To be fair, T7 DDs are, by-and-large, uncomfortable by design. It's that awkward tier where detection ranges are completely uncompetitive compared to the T8-9, and the armament is scaled back so that T5-6 aren't completely blown out of the water.

That being said, Maass really needs good equipment and a good commander to be strong. The HP pool and hydro are the main selling points. Here's the build I use (start with the right-most skills first and get concealment ASAP):

image.thumb.png.bca9cb527dbe4f0f3631cd2598201b02.png

Some general tips would be to:

1. Use the hydro primarily to push into smoke or assist you early on in taking caps safely. She's not agile, and needs as much torp warning as possible.

2. Ask your team for help and keep them informed of your plans. As you mentioned, the guns aren't the best, so see if you can div with a gunboat or cruiser to secure kills.

3. Don't be afraid to use the AP against broadside DDs. The HE is anemic, so if you can get AP pens it can really help the damage numbers. This also works with a good angle close-mid range against cruisers, but be prepared to swap to HE if you find you're getting overpens. It's a little bit of a mixed bag until you get used to how the AP works.

4. Always have an escape plan. Again, she's not agile. Try to play her conservatively and use her HP later when you really need to push in and make plays.

Best of luck!

Edited by FullMetal_Inferno
  • Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
2,319 posts
3,775 battles
3 minutes ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

Some general tips would be to:

1. Use the hydro primarily to push into smoke or assist you early on in taking caps safely. She's not agile, and needs as much torp warning as possible.

2. Ask your team for help and keep them informed of your plans. As you mentioned, the guns aren't the best, so see if you can div with a gunboat or cruiser to secure kills.

3. Don't be afraid to use the AP against broadside DDs. The HE is anemic, so if you can get AP pens it can really help the damage numbers. This also works with a good angle close-mid range against cruisers, but be prepared to swap to HE if you find you're getting overpens. It's a little bit of a mixed bag until you get used to how the AP works.

4. Always have an escape plan. Again, she's not agile. Try to play her conservatively and use her HP later when you really need to push in and make plays.

I've usually tried something along the lines of this, but I either can't get close enough to use the torps or have to get so close that I'll just get spotted and killed outright. I can have a bugout plan but that'll mean I never get to do any damage....tempted to just give up on KM DD's

[PAT]
Members
1,258 posts
15,039 battles

MBAE (AFT) is a viable skill to take on this line.

Play it much like any other destroyer with poor conceal. Position to zone out the enemy DD so they can't torp/approach your team (easy because hydro) and smoke/island farm any ships that try to push in. 32mm pen on the main guns, so you'll do damage albeit slowly. They key is not pushing too deep too soon or trying to force yourself into situations where you can use hydro. Hydro suggests knife fighting, but this is in many cases a pitfall that should be avoided.

The Z-46 makes grinding the line worth it and imo you can stop there. Z-52 doesn't have enough advantages over the Z-46 to justify being a T10.

• Cool 1

[KMS]
Members
57 posts
36,619 battles

Good advice here.  I don't play the Maas much, as my Z-39 at T7 is much better, with lower detection.  The next-level Z-23 (even after WG stripped its 150cm guns) is one of my favorite boats, and is a better jack-of-all trades DD than most.  Good torp reload.  Decent range. The AP is especially strong above the rail of BBs and CAs.  The Z46 is even better.  The Z52, unfortunately, falls beneath the waves.

• Cool 1

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.