You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
FloridaPanther25

Got to spend 25% Coal Ship Coupon - What should I buy?

25 comments in this topic

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
5,111 posts

Yoshie is too easy to sink or crit. Its not that scary.

Napoli is pretty good but Ive felt burned on the Italians thanks to WG.

Pomm is a fun ship but I suspect she is being powercrept.

I dont know anything about the Neus. Dont run into them that often.

With these four being somewhat iffy in some ways I'll pick the Pom. I already own her so...

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
4,616 posts
34,482 battles

I would go Pommern.  She is a fun ship, and if you draw a Pommern B in the BF container you can get 2500 doubloons.

• Cool 1

[-BAB-]
Members
175 posts
4 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

I would go Pommern.  She is a fun ship, and if you draw a Pommern B in the BF container you can get 2500 doubloons.

This is only one I would be interested out of the listed.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
5,111 posts
4 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

That would really be something else.

However I dont think there will be any BF containers in this season this year around. I might buy a couple. But only as a token participation. The Pom B would be one that I would like to get. But its already last year's haul of 5 B ships that are very good and used constantly now. The JBB for example has been a monster in collecting damage.

[GOCRY]
Members
1,278 posts

I would also go with the Pommern.  German BBs are fun.  My next choice would be the Napoli, which will be the next coal ship I grab (unless WG releases the Black).

• Cool 1

Members
3 posts
5,803 battles

I bought a Napoli and was underwhelmed.  It's not bad at all, just doesn't make me want to use it.  Have Venezia and most other tier X cruisers.  Other tech tree stuff is more fun in my opinion.  Pommern is a "must have".

• Cool 1

Members
31 posts
8,378 battles

Yoshino is an absolute blast. I have fun with that ship and the more fun it is the better I do. It's pretty rare here in the forums, but some might disagree. lol

Pommern is a ton of fun too. 

Good luck in your decision!

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,915 posts
13,064 battles
1 hour ago, FloridaPanther25 said:

Coupon expires on 12/10. Considering Napoli, Yoshino, Pommern, or Neustrimmy. What would you do?

Mine expires of 12/14...

Regardless, the only ship on the list I have is Pommern and she is... okay. I find the performance of the German 380mm AP frustrating at tier IX.

I'll probably be grabbing Napoli if that helps. She seems like an interesting and somewhat unique ship, while Yoshino isn't a priority because I have Azuma and the Soviet zombie DD is overpriced.

Edited by Nevermore135

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
3,922 posts
30,007 battles

Napoli - It's a strong competitive ship with decent guns that'll get you cits and excellent SAP secondaries. It also has the usual Italian torpedoes and smokescreen. The armor is really good for a cruiser.
Yoshino - I just enjoy it and while it does take damage, just like every other cruiser, it has the range in guns and torpedoes to work in this BB heavy meta. Also, the AA is better than most other IJN cruisers.
Pommern - It's just another German BB, like any other. It doesn't do anything better or worse than the rest. The main guns are smaller than their counterparts. It does get torpedoes though.
Neustrimmy - Just a less exciting Grozovoi but with one less gun but a super heal. 

That's the order I place them in and why. I see a lot of Pommern fans but to me, it's just another copy pasta German BB.

Edited by Skuggsja
  • Boring 1

[WAIFU]
Members
101 posts
3,482 battles

Neustrashimy - Russian DD with decent torps and meh firepower, its redeeming quality is its super heal and good conceal.

Max Immelman - CV with no rocket planes, however it has strong skip bombers and torpedo bombers that drop consistent torps.

Napoli - Very tanky cruiser with 40mm deck and 60 upper belt, bounces everything. It also has SAP secondary armaments but an underwhelming main battery. Please don't rush in and suicide with it though...

Yoshino - Long range HE spammer. You play at range launching HE that packs quite a punch and burn stuff down. Though since its big and not the most maneuverable it is easy to take damage in.

Salem - Arguably one of the best coal ships available. Nothing much to say other than its a Des Moines that trades utility for a super heal, which makes it incredibly strong.

Kearsarge - Another very strong pick. 12 North Carolina guns are no joke, plus you have rocket planes that launch Tiny Tims with an improved aiming reticle. This ship is quite busted and is also one of the best coal ships.

Tulsa - A lot of people call it a mini Des Moines. It kinda is and kinda isn't at the same time. You play it similarly though it lacks the DPM that makes Des Moines a Des Moines as it only has 6 guns compared to 9. It is a bit challenging to play as you have the lowest HP pool for a T9 cruiser and limited range. Though it has good concealment and a 9km radar (instead of 10km for DM). Still a decent pick.

Marco Polo - Battleship with 16 inch guns that fire SAP, and questionable accuracy. 

Z-44 - Don't buy this, it is garbage.

Pommern - Subpar battleship. The only redeeming thing about this ship in my opinion are its secondary armaments. Its main battery is 12 380mm guns with a slower reload and questionable accuracy, and 380mm at T9 struggles to do damage.

T9 and 10 coal ships are the only ones you should consider buying. Low tier ones are low priority if you have nothing to spend your coal on.

Edited by t0uk14
  • Boring 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,085 posts
25,747 battles
2 hours ago, FloridaPanther25 said:

Coupon expires on 12/10. Considering Napoli, Yoshino, Pommern, or Neustrimmy. What would you do?

Considering the ships you pla:

Nuttershimmy.

Pommern.

Napoli.

In that order.

Members
4,930 posts
13,820 battles

Pommern and Napoli actually play pretty similarly just accounting for one being a battleship and one being a cruiser. Most consider them to be really fun ships. Neustrashimy saves you the most coal with a coupon as the most expensive ship in the list, if that matters to you.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
5,111 posts

Tulsa is more of a meh cruiser.

I use her specifically to hunt DD's when its possible to do so. Her radar is 50 seconds long and I generally catch a DD at 7km. Enough to sink it.

I usually get sunk when I do shoot. But not that I really care. Its got a glass jaw, hence the meh attitude on my part.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,102 posts
10,553 battles
5 hours ago, FloridaPanther25 said:

Is recommend Neustra, but I like DDs, and especially DDs with unique gameplay 

[BTLST]
[BTLST]
Members
628 posts
11,119 battles
7 hours ago, FloridaPanther25 said:

The question is like saying: "I got a 25% coupon for an ice cream. Should I get strawberry, chocolate, vanilla or lemon flavor?"

Well, how can we possibly know what you like? 

What I would do in your position is to provide more info on what ships I have, what ships I like to play and what ships I don't like to play and I suggest you do the same.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[SR-_-]
Members
5,179 posts
48,717 battles

Well, Yosh is accurate at range. Never mind the torps, use the 20km ones and if they hit, then its gravy. The HE is good enough to burn anyone down. I would switch to AP on anything broadside at around 12-14km or less depending on cruiser or BB for those citadels that rack up like Pokemon. If you are a shooter, then this is your bote.

Pommy is an ankle biter, but you can bleed from that. Her guns are ultra meh though. Secbats is where it's at in terms of fun. Make her a tank build and you do fine. I once sank 4 in a Rando battle. I could have had a 5th, but a certain player who I won't mention, who has never Krakened in a Pommy and never will in my opinion on account they play passive chicken poop style, didn't want me to do it 1st. If you are a brawler, then this is your bote.

Neustrashimy, never heard of it. Or I should say that I don't see it often to render a verdict.

Nipples, or Napoli is also one I don't have or see often. But if you want to avoid the nickname, then avoid this bote.

If none of these appeal to you in a profound way, then I urge you to save all that coal and just sock it away. You never know what OP beasty might show up or a steel ship that might get sent to the coal shop.

The sensible thing to do is get what would be fun for you. Don't listen to some whacky streamer or some shoddy salesperson. Your own clan mates might even know better than those folks anyway. 

You can also open a pole in some social media thing, but that has its own pitfalls. Not only do we have a shortage on some important goods, but some hair colors are about to go extinct. 

[MHG]
Members
789 posts
20,392 battles

I only use coupons on STEEL SHIPS and pay full price for coal boats unless I will not have enough steel before coupon expires.

• Cool 1

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
109 posts
15,269 battles

I suppose it HIGHLY depends on how OR what you like to play. 

IF you like playing BBs then Pom is the way to go. It plays like a big bro to Derpitz with more main guns, hydroacoustic search, decent 2nd armaments, and same torpedoes. Personally, I'd like to play the Kearsage cause I like how it breaks the BB meta. Reliable main guns to bring into a medium ranged fight, decent secondaries (although you'll have to heavily invest in them) for up close fighting, and fighter squadrons for longer ranged attacks! These are the reasons why I love my Ise! However, her DPS is kind of lacking, she's very slow and kind doesn't manuever that well, and the rocket fighter squadrons are arguably the hardest aircraft to master! 

IF you like playing CA/Heavy CA, I kind of lean more towards the Napoli. She's arguably better armoured than the other coal ships, very good SAP secondaries, has Italian torps, and can smoke up if need be.  She's not much of a DD hunter though and her DPS via main guns is kinda weak and lacks utilities vital for suss out pesky DDs behind smoke screens. On the other hand, Salem has decent DPS, and can kills DDs with reckless abdonement, but she does trade some of her practical utility (like radar!) her big bro Des Moines has for a super heal. And then there's Yoshie. She is a long range sniper, period. She'll set fires easily with her main guns, and will cause havoc to all enemy ships in the caps with her 20k torps, but she defintely isn't a brawler, do not show broadside to anyone! I got citadeled with those wacky newer German DDs w/bigger main guns cause I didn't think much of them once I dodged her torps! 

IF you like playing DDs, I don't think you should sleep on Neustrashimy. She's got decent torps, and pretty good natural concealment without smoke. However, although her DPS can be okay with the main guns if you invest in them, she is actually missing a turret of main guns so your damage output although throwing out severals shells per second is relatively low. She lacks utility such as hyrdro search, but she does have a heal/repair which are ultra rare in a DD! 

Good luck, CPO, on your choices! 

Edited by Alevon

[NVRDY]
Beta Testers
1,949 posts

I'd use the coupons for steel ships if that is an option for you.

If you don't want a Steel ship or don't have enough steel, than I would pick Neustrashimy or Napoli. Whichever playstyle suits your interest more. 

[NES]
Members
271 posts
6,644 battles

Use it on steel. I've got around 50k steel. I plan to use one for Stalin or Bourgogne and the next one for the other. 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
13,763 posts
19,828 battles
15 hours ago, FloridaPanther25 said:

From that list I would go Napoli or Pommern.

[GOB]
Members
3,444 posts

Thanx for bringing this up OP, I almost wasted 4 coupons.  Used them all.

Was too focused on getting Napoli when my coal coupon refreshed in 12 days!

That was a close one!:Smile_honoring: