You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lowmein

Is the Carnot a decent ship?

18 comments in this topic

Members
258 posts
8,168 battles

I was just looking for opinions on people that have purchased her and played some games with her? Curious about what people think about her play styles, gun accuracy etc. I was thinking about spending some coal on this ship! Thanks for the info in advance to all that is willing to share! :cap_like:

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,977 posts
28,325 battles

Ever play the Henri speed juking devil before it got nerfed???

Carnot is a tier 9 pre-nerfed Henri....

• Cool 1

[ARES-]
Alpha Tester
39 posts
2,301 battles

I've played Carnot a few games; She's pretty fun. 

My playstyle with her so far, with mild success is kind of waiting for the enemy line to push midway. At that point I pop the speed boost and bomb past all the enemy battleships and cruisers; You'd be way too fast if you can do it from stealth for any battleship to react and with your hard hitting guns, you can delete the other cruisers and start hitting battleships from behind or bypass them straight to the CV if there is one. The real kink in that plan is enemy DD's, if they spot you then torpedos become a problem; but since the torpedo bug exists/existed that was a 50/50 for me.

She's got okay AA, enough to keep all but the most determined CVs at bay. 

Her main gun battery performance to me was solid but nothing to really wow at, average damage, average dispersion but the turret rotation is quite nice. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,650 posts
1,608 battles

She may be fun - and I don't deny that - but whereas most French cruisers are really lovely, Carnot is just a bowser. She's wide, the bridge structure is really blocky, and the perma-camo does her chonky hull no favors.

Edited by Battleship_DukeofYork
  • Funny 1

[KWF]
Members
6,767 posts
7,444 battles

She's decent but the long reload, bad rear firing angles and inconsistent accuracy can be a real pain at times.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
1,017 posts
10,723 battles

I've just been using Carnot 's afterburner and armour to do crazy and stupid stuff in co-op -- like racing the DD's to the cap, running circles around bot BB's,  suicide charging CA's to see if I could citadel-kill them with the guns before I ram them, etc.  The guns feel pretty solid.  Got a few citadel kills the first few outings.

Tbh, I'm not sure how useful she'd be randoms, since I only play that mode once in a blue moon.  Besides, my hyper-aggressive tactics might not fly in that environment.  Also, she feels huge when compared to an Alaska.

Anyway, my $.02.,

Cheers.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,303 posts
18,350 battles

No.

To quote myself from another thread:

Spoiler

I try not to be too much of a downer on Carnot but she seems somehow worse than the sum of her parts. 

For instance you'd think that flanking might be a good tactic - the speed should allow it, and the AP pen is reasonable for a 12in/305mm gun (I've citadelled a Soyuz at about 7km, but only once). The problem is half the maps don't allow it, your concealment doesn't help (12km full build vs 10.3ish for Napoli) your AA is unremarkable and 'flank' is synonymous with 'go off alone and die to a carrier'. 

I've tried rushing a Jutland in smoke: 43kt and hydro, surprise! Result: somehow the high velocity of the guns at 5km means 10/10 misses on a stationary destroyer. When maneuvering and tracking you run out of turret traverse, no torps, 'only' 22s to the next chance. My secondaries roared into life at 4km! Oh wait, most of them are 100mm so just shatter on DD's, 18 hits for 1,200 damage...

If you kite you either lack range or exacerbate reload deficiencies. Azuma naturally has 30% more HE DPM than you, and a little more range, and a spotter if you take Engine Boost on Carnot (which you should!). The angles on the front turrets don't help either. 

Carnot is pretty crappy. I've now played 18 games in a variety of configurations, lighthouse double-rudder, range/reload, hydro charge, DFAA and camping. Nothing really works because the combination of huge size, poor gun reload, poor kiting arcs simply doesn't let you have a decent game impact. I interspersed those games with the odd one in Azuma, Alaska, Siegfried or even Kronshtadt and they all do cooler stuff by far, if not at 45kt.

[SPTR]
Members
28,181 posts
20,312 battles

Imagine this, there's a circle and each quadrant has a ship to represent its playstyle which are Henri, Jean Bart, Alaska and Azuma,

In the middle of this circle is Carnot. 

Beware Carnot doesn't reload her shells as fast as other rival t9 battlecruisers nor can she kite/angle away as well as henri. 

But she does usually set 2 fires per HE salvo and have a robust armor layout that denys cruisers and low gun caliber BBs vip access to her cits, her phenomenal speed also helps control the battle engagement and dodging shell from a distance

I play mine with duel rudders with lighthouse commander on it, I find it particularly to easily out trade many cruisers in a gun slug fest but due to its large target profile and slow reload for a cruiser, you need teammates especially allied BBs to be pushing up doing the manly frontlining duties while you support them at the extremes of your gun range or on their flanks.

Edited by Rolkatsuki
  • Cool 3

[VIGIL]
Members
1,322 posts
6 minutes ago, Rolkatsuki said:

Imagine this, there's a circle and each quadrant has a ship to represent its playstyle which are Henri, Jean Bart, Alaska and Azuma,

In the middle of this circle is Carnot. 

Beware Carnot doesn't reload her shells as fast as other rival t9 battlecruisers nor can she kite/angle away like henri. 

But she does usually set 2 fires per HE salvo and have a robust armor layout that denys cruisers and low gun caliber BBs vip access to her cits, her phenomenal speed also helps control the battle engagement and dodging shell from a distance

This feels like an appropriate description.  Thanks @Rolkatsuki!

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[UNC]
Members
1,182 posts
7,199 battles

I would say Carnot is a decent ship.  Definitely not OP, but on the stronger side IMO.  Though I think once people start figuring it out, her 25mm plating is going to be exploited heavily.  The rest of her armor scheme is fairly robust and if angled well will bounce most incoming BB fire; so long as it doesn't find the 25mm extremeties.  The citadel seems relatively well protected, but not impervious.  Her speed is amazing and will surprise many players who are not aware of how fast she can go; though again I suspect that as Carnot gets more exposure that advantage will be mitigated to some extent.  Her acceleration is awful IMO, it feels like it takes forever to get going again if you stop or slow down.  The guns are quite good, and feel more accurate than I would have expected for a French ship.  The HE is usable and will start fires readily enough and the AP hits very hard; Carnot does rude things to cruisers and can even do some mean things to BBs if she catches them broadside at closer ranges.  ( I had a fluke cit against a GK at 14.5km )  The reload is sadly rather long and can only be improved to 22.8s IIRC.  This holds her back somewhat as you will miss some opportunities while waiting on a reload.  As far as I can tell, the AA is middling; enough to down a few planes but not to prevent a strike.  Fairly typical in the current meta.

All in all I enjoy the ship and do not regret the purchase at all.  I do find myself wishing now and then that Carnot had torpedoes, if only the 2x3 9km torps the tech tree CAs get.  Once a BB is aware of you and in close there is nothing to discourage them from rushing in for a drive by, and not much you can do about it except speed boost and try to avoid getting blapped.  That said, zooming around the map blapping stuff is pretty fun.  I would recommend the ship; if for no other reason than there really isn't anything quite like her in game IMO.

• Cool 2

[OFCS]
Beta Testers
173 posts
11,842 battles

I’ve had fun in mine. Like all ships I’ve had good and bad games but in general I’ve had good with this ship. Don’t let the long reload turn you off. After the first game or two you don’t notice it.

I don’t know if it’s an ideal set up but it’s been working for me but I’ve been running aiming mod and range mod and have found accuracy to be more than sufficient. I have seen more than my fair share of nice groups.  The AP and HE are decent they both do good damage. It’s not OP it’s balanced but on the powerful side. 

Im also running propulsion mod and steering gears mod. I find it maneuverable enough. This allows me to dodge incoming fire or at least angle to it. I find the armor is good. Last game I got a dreadnought. I may have received on in another game too. 

I took this pic after a game this morning. My first game of the day in it. It started off rough. The only income flags was the grading flag for credits 50%. Usually without I can get 300k with the ship. This is with a standard account. 

The ship is fun with no crazy gimmicks. Balanced but leans on the powerful side. I’m glad I bought it. I put the French captain in there (name?) from an event that gives increased Got to go and ar. That helps. 

ABC6C077-F632-4043-90D8-E4B3FB88CF7D.jpeg

[WOLF3]
Members
780 posts
14,895 battles

I run a pretty standard build with conceal, extra health and MBR mod. It gets 22 second reload and the shell dispersion is wider in the horizontal which is good for broadside targets. I also use the improved speedboost. Its what I expect from a tier 9 battle cruiser and its fun. I only got it because I like collecting 305/310mm ships.

• Cool 1

[PHD]
Members
2,200 posts
9,644 battles

When does the petition start requiring the ship get torpedoes?

I haven't even gotten the ship yet and want torps.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
2 posts
4,503 battles
On 10/2/2021 at 11:28 AM, Uncle_Lou said:

I would say Carnot is a decent ship.  Definitely not OP, but on the stronger side IMO.  Though I think once people start figuring it out, her 25mm plating is going to be exploited heavily.  The rest of her armor scheme is fairly robust and if angled well will bounce most incoming BB fire; so long as it doesn't find the 25mm extremeties.  The citadel seems relatively well protected, but not impervious.  Her speed is amazing and will surprise many players who are not aware of how fast she can go; though again I suspect that as Carnot gets more exposure that advantage will be mitigated to some extent.  Her acceleration is awful IMO, it feels like it takes forever to get going again if you stop or slow down.  The guns are quite good, and feel more accurate than I would have expected for a French ship.  The HE is usable and will start fires readily enough and the AP hits very hard; Carnot does rude things to cruisers and can even do some mean things to BBs if she catches them broadside at closer ranges.  ( I had a fluke cit against a GK at 14.5km )  The reload is sadly rather long and can only be improved to 22.8s IIRC.  This holds her back somewhat as you will miss some opportunities while waiting on a reload.  As far as I can tell, the AA is middling; enough to down a few planes but not to prevent a strike.  Fairly typical in the current meta.

All in all I enjoy the ship and do not regret the purchase at all.  I do find myself wishing now and then that Carnot had torpedoes, if only the 2x3 9km torps the tech tree CAs get.  Once a BB is aware of you and in close there is nothing to discourage them from rushing in for a drive by, and not much you can do about it except speed boost and try to avoid getting blapped.  That said, zooming around the map blapping stuff is pretty fun.  I would recommend the ship; if for no other reason than there really isn't anything quite like her in game IMO.

I own the Carnot and I would say that this is the best description of this ship. I love the speed and I love the fires the HE can start and the hard punch of the AP shells. Really is the only ship of its kind in the game IMO.  Find me in game if you want to do a Carnot division, as I think we can do some serious damage in a battle!

Edited by barberk79

Members
2 posts
4,503 battles
On 10/2/2021 at 10:04 PM, Lowmein said:

Thanks for all the input friends! Was much appreciated!

Did you get it?

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts
On 10/2/2021 at 8:25 AM, Ann_Darrow said:

I've just been using Carnot 's afterburner and armour to do crazy and stupid stuff in co-op -- like racing the DD's to the cap, running circles around bot BB's,  suicide charging CA's to see if I could citadel-kill them with the guns before I ram them, etc.  The guns feel pretty solid.  Got a few citadel kills the first few outings.

Tbh, I'm not sure how useful she'd be randoms, since I only play that mode once in a blue moon.  Besides, my hyper-aggressive tactics might not fly in that environment.  Also, she feels huge when compared to an Alaska.

Anyway, my $.02.,

Cheers.

Ive fought a few carnots in Random. Usually with a Burgogne or a Georgia. Funny to see them try the same manuvering at speed that I use myself. Only much faster. 50 knots?

However you can catch one and work it over. Thats not a cruiser to really worry about. There is another french cruiser that can burn me down Smolesk style if I dont watch it.

The flaw in the Carnot is that they are obese in a way and the aft angles are bad for them. Forces them to circle you to bring the front turrets to bear. That brings the speed of them down a bit.

The good thing about the Carnot is the armor is quality, you can get away with a few solid hits from BB's etc for a while. Possibly long enough to execute a DD or two. I dont plan on getting the Carnot myself there are more French Monsters pending and I probably will end up getting at least one of them.