Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Darkshadow86

Why do people announce they are quitting?

48 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

296
[-DS-]
Beta Testers
208 posts
1,228 battles

This isn't a rant, but I've noticed a pattern; lately, there has been a bunch of "Wargaming has insulted me, and my honor. Good day sir!." Types of posts lately. And in the most polite way of saying, I'm thinking, "This isn't a flag stop(train reference); you don't need to announce you want to leave." Then I thought, "Ok, maybe they have a goal I can't see." My thoughts are people do this for a couple of reasons:

  • They want people to convince them to stay.
  • They hope Wargaming notices them.
  • They hope their leaving will start a change.
  • They had some sea salt ice cream and desired everyone else to try it.
  • They are hoping to start a discussion about recent changes.

I see it like this; the CC program basically got disbanded. It is still active, but the majority of the big names have left. Wargaming acknowledges this, and I'll paraphrase their announcement, "Ok, it was good working with them, sorry to hear that. Good luck at your next job." So, even people who dedicated a good portion of their free time to seeing Wargaming grow and flourish got a "thank you for your service." But nothing got changed, so then why do people feel the need to announce it?

I understand this question seems obvious, and some of you will say, "They will be back in a month." Which they probably will be, cause a single choice isn't forever, unless you request your account to be deleted and burn your chances of reconnecting by doing some dirty deeds done for dirt cheap (Using some cheap hacks you bought from someone shady).

I'm not looking to insult anyone for their decision by flinging insults, except saying they are salty. For a couple of good reasons:

  1. I don't gain anything by being overly rude to someone.
  2. Second, I don't learn anything productive by insulting a person.
  3. It is just a game, and making a Yo-Mama joke is childish (but sometimes funny under the right context).

From my experience, if you don't like how something is being handled, you make a formal complaint. On the other hand, if the problem is you and not the situation, you politely excuse yourself. For example, if the problem is that part of your city smells like a sewer, contact your local statesman; otherwise, get used to the stench, and avoid the area if possible.

I hope you guys can inform me why people behave this way; cause I thought about it, but I don't see anything constructive coming from their announcements to leave the game.

Thank you in advance for your much helpful, and insightful opinions.

  • Cool 9
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 4
  • Meh 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
296
[-DS-]
Beta Testers
208 posts
1,228 battles

I almost forgot; if this post somehow offended you, feel free to leave an upset emoji face if it helps you feel better. Have a wonderful day.

  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,382 posts
15,763 battles

They are just unsatisfied with something, and want to announce it.

Its more than likely due to their personality and is psychologically related.  (edit: to delve into it further and particulars, you'd have to know the person better)

Edited by Rollingonit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,497
[GWG]
Members
7,934 posts
15,369 battles

Simple answer:   Drama.   They are looking for reactions.

If they were REALLY deleting their account, all their post here in the forums would disappear.

  • Cool 3
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
268
[KERR]
[KERR]
Beta Testers
396 posts
9,037 battles

Since this is a form of Social Media, and Social Media is a place for folks to rant about subjects they approve/disapprove of....

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,536
[SIM]
Members
6,148 posts
10,179 battles

Either for attention, or because they want to make it known to WG. I know that I’ve only ever mentioned quitting when I want to make WG aware that they’re costing themselves a customer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
947
[HINON]
Members
3,341 posts
30,749 battles
31 minutes ago, Koogus said:

They want attention and drama

^^ bingo. When I get fed up with ships, I promise not to make a quit post. 

  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,357
[TDRB]
Members
5,523 posts
13,743 battles

There are many reasons they leave a message, some do seek drama & attention but I would say most feel WG has done them wrong or is destroying the game they love.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,691
[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,049 posts
26,142 battles

@Darkshadow86 when I finally throw in the towel I intend to make a post and state why just so WG knows why they lost another one can ignore my reason(s) for leaving. Call it my "exit interview" which will give me some personal satisfaction if absolutely nothing else.

Edited by Khafni
  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,544 posts
7,228 battles

Everyone has their own style in order to state their reasons....some are verbose and some just pull the plug.  No ones right or wrong.  I do seem to observe that these "pronouncements" seem to be getting quite frequent than in years past tho....Maybe its just my imagination possibly.  But who is to say ?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,544 posts
7,228 battles
2 hours ago, Smokeader said:

Since this is a form of Social Media, and Social Media is a place for folks to rant about subjects they approve/disapprove of....

i think your statement hits very close to the truth for sure....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,451
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,749 posts
27,764 battles

I think people who leave "I Quit" posts, actually love the game and want it known why they are leaving. Sometimes it is because "we all suck", but often they are expressing what they believe is wrong with the game. The opposite of love isn't hate, it is indifference and I would think most people who leave the game just uninstall and go on with their lives. You know, pretty much how any thousand of us have done over the years with games we didn't enjoy... No goodbyes, no notices to developers, nada. We just uninstall and go away. People who love the game but feel forced out for whatever reason (wrongly or rightly), want to express that frustration. It is very rare that humans end personal relationships without words being said. When there is an emotional attachment to people or things (including games), people have the need to express themselves and their position. You can poke fun at them or mock them all you want, but what they are doing is more human and natural than not. 

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,295
[NSC]
Members
2,662 posts
3 hours ago, Darkshadow86 said:

This isn't a rant, but I've noticed a pattern; lately, there has been a bunch of "Wargaming has insulted me, and my honor. Good day sir!." Types of posts lately. And in the most polite way of saying, I'm thinking, "This isn't a flag stop(train reference); you don't need to announce you want to leave." Then I thought, "Ok, maybe they have a goal I can't see." My thoughts are people do this for a couple of reasons:

  • They want people to convince them to stay.
  • They hope Wargaming notices them.
  • They hope their leaving will start a change.
  • They had some sea salt ice cream and desired everyone else to try it.
  • They are hoping to start a discussion about recent changes.

I see it like this; the CC program basically got disbanded. It is still active, but the majority of the big names have left. Wargaming acknowledges this, and I'll paraphrase their announcement, "Ok, it was good working with them, sorry to hear that. Good luck at your next job." So, even people who dedicated a good portion of their free time to seeing Wargaming grow and flourish got a "thank you for your service." But nothing got changed, so then why do people feel the need to announce it?

I understand this question seems obvious, and some of you will say, "They will be back in a month." Which they probably will be, cause a single choice isn't forever, unless you request your account to be deleted and burn your chances of reconnecting by doing some dirty deeds done for dirt cheap (Using some cheap hacks you bought from someone shady).

I'm not looking to insult anyone for their decision by flinging insults, except saying they are salty. For a couple of good reasons:

  1. I don't gain anything by being overly rude to someone.
  2. Second, I don't learn anything productive by insulting a person.
  3. It is just a game, and making a Yo-Mama joke is childish (but sometimes funny under the right context).

From my experience, if you don't like how something is being handled, you make a formal complaint. On the other hand, if the problem is you and not the situation, you politely excuse yourself. For example, if the problem is that part of your city smells like a sewer, contact your local statesman; otherwise, get used to the stench, and avoid the area if possible.

I hope you guys can inform me why people behave this way; cause I thought about it, but I don't see anything constructive coming from their announcements to leave the game.

Thank you in advance for your much helpful, and insightful opinions.

I like how your post is being constructive and thinking things out.

You left one out: People are genuinely sad to be leaving, and want to remember their experiences and friends over the years.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,944
[WORX]
Members
15,257 posts
21,441 battles

Then there are those who say they "quit" when they actually "taken a break."

The ones who actually quit, do so

  1. Quietly like countless others...
    • OR
  2. Those who quit due to medical or change of life situations.
    • Like death.

Stick around... You'll have a forum bet on those who will return after a few months...

Its a running humor to state, "There be back, they always come back" or "Will leave the light on for you."

If I were to place a betting percentage on who actually leave the game without any drama... %50//%50 chance.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
644
[WOLFG]
Members
898 posts
17,082 battles

Have always wondered why people feel the need to announce they are leaving a game. It's just silly in my opinion. I put it up there with telling some celebrity you may be following on social media that you're unfollowing them because you disagree with them, lol. Like the celebrity even cares. I think it comes down to people with over inflated egos who think their opinions matter more than they really do. That's my take on it anyway.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,451
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,749 posts
27,764 battles
19 minutes ago, Colonel_Potter said:

Have always wondered why people feel the need to announce they are leaving a game. It's just silly in my opinion. I put it up there with telling some celebrity you may be following on social media that you're unfollowing them because you disagree with them, lol. Like the celebrity even cares. I think it comes down to people with over inflated egos who think their opinions matter more than they really do. That's my take on it anyway.

Well you may see it as stupid, but as I explained, normal human beings with a vested interest in a relationship, whether it be business or personal, will normally discuss their dissolution of that relationship just before they end it. Very normal for humans to do that sort of thing. I suppose the discussion could be about whether a game constitutes a relationship or not, but the mere fact that the game is an actual business kind of supports my assertion. You may be different and able to walk away, some people feel the need to discuss it. All in all, quite natural. You don't have to empathize with the person leaving, but it is hardly rocket surgery to understand the "why" behind it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
782
[-AFK-]
Members
1,392 posts
17,427 battles

I like to think of them as Therapy threads, 
They duno they need Therapy, 
So they make a thread laying out their problems, 

Then they work through it like a group therapy session. 

 

#NotWrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
129 posts
5,742 battles

Depends how it’s done.   Some people have noted drama, but consider the flip side - if somebody with some visibility just stopped playing and/or disappeared entirely, the Internet rumour mill would churn like crazy, so you end up with drama either way.   Plus, it’s good to know sometimes if people ARE leaving, because that’s the only way you find out that more crap has been going on behind the scenes.   (like somebody screaming about a game mechanic being broken vs somebody screaming about harassment with chat logs to prove it and zero action, for example.)

And sometimes it is worth the emotion.  The way WG has handled the Yukon situation, for example, generated a lot of anger, and seeing that anger reminds us both of the emotional investment that people have in  game (which has value), and that in this particular case there are real stakes - we know for sure of two people who have lost their jobs over Yukon (one involuntary, one voluntary) and who knows what other churn is happening in the dark?

A lot of drama IS useless, IMHO - but a lot isn’t.    As much as how I wish the signal to noise ratio were better, I’d prefer to see the churn (at least to a certain point) and have at least some idea of what’s going on versus a polite wall of silence with the admonition “Everything is fine, nothing to see.  Move along now.”

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
164
[TYPH]
Beta Testers
131 posts
8,982 battles

Seems like an easy question to me.  If you're quitting because you're unhappy with the game, naturally you want to express that unhappiness.   By the time you quit you've probably become really frustrated with how WG handles customer relations, too, and you probably want to lash out at them for ignoring the issues that caused you to quit.  You may be walking away from a significant cash investment, too.  So you have every right to express your opinion.

I don't see anything wrong with a customer complaining as they walk out the door.  Indeed, if I ran a business and I was losing customers, I'd want to know immediately (not six months from now when my data analysts report a downturn in sale) and I'd want to know why.

Finally, as with all human behavior, you can't understand it if you don't factor in that humans are jerks about 10% of the time, even under the best conditions.  And especially in anonymous situations. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×