Sign in to follow this  
Snargfargle

If Armies were WOWS ships, based on these ads, which one would you buy?

12 comments in this topic

[V_V_V]
Members
1,199 posts
18,792 battles

The Moderator (it hasn't been offered for sale yet).

Edited by Charon2018

[WPORT]
Members
12,340 posts
16,581 battles
Spoiler
9 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I have never regretted joining the United States Marine Corps.

Marine Time Machine | Toys For Tots
Dec 4, 2017

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
16,351 posts
26 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I have never regretted joining the United States Marine Corps.

The daughter of a girl I went to high school with is in the Marines right now. I asked her how it was going and she said "it's a job." She has to be about the cutest Marine you ever did see. Her mother is pretty good looking and her Dad (who is from LA) was an actor and model.

[WOLF3]
Members
611 posts

That US ad is a joke and plays right into the weak snowflake crowd.

THIS is a real ad:

[WPORT]
Members
12,340 posts
16,581 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

The daughter of a girl I went to high school with is in the Marines right now. I asked her how it was going and she said "it's a job." She has to be about the cutest Marine you ever did see. Her mother is pretty good looking and her Dad (who is from LA) was an actor and model.

:cap_like:

[SALVO]
Members
9,984 posts
7,228 battles

hmmmm... saw the US Ad... no guns, no bangs, no thrill ... what happened to you guys? It is like an Ad for any generic socially inclusive corporation, not an Army Ad. So what's your proportion between bureaucrats and combatants these days? This ad makes me guess you need a lot of bureaucrats 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,861 posts
27,592 battles

The US Army recruiting commercials can be very hit or miss.  Usually they're just fine, I thought they were fine in the 1980s and 1990s.

There was the "Army of One" phase they went through in the early 2000s which I thought was quite strange, because the military has long emphasized the unit over the individual.  The new Army commercial is strange.  I get what they were trying to say, but how they put it together makes it look really wrong.

But I equate all this in the Army having to try to have to make their commercials appeal to a much more broader audience than say, the smaller US Marine Corps where they do commercials for a very specific part of the population.  We have had some cheesy USMC commercials...

... But usually they get it right. 

I still remember seeing these old Marine recruiting posters long ago.  I remember seeing them when I was a teenager and visited the USMC recruiting office in 1992.  Those posters were very old, out of production, but the various office kept them.

6916628529_7b0eaf7b51_b.jpg

We even had one for the Drum & Bugle Corps.

You'll notice with Marine commercials is that it always talks about intangible stuff like service to the US, belonging to a unit, etc.  Not about bonus, college money.  The USMC can do that because it's a smaller service, and can tailor its recruiting to a specific part of the population.  The Army can't do that.  It needs a lot more people to join up.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,861 posts
27,592 battles
On 8/31/2021 at 5:38 AM, Snargfargle said:

I used to be a Recruiter for a few years in the Marines.  One of our poolees waiting to graduate from high school and ship off to boot camp was this one girl.  Beautiful girl, captain of the cheerleader squad of her high school and was popular.  I figured she'd have a tough time at first in boot camp because she was one of those girls that had worked so hard on her appearance all the time.  Very prissy.

When she returned from Boot Camp as a Marine and did 14 days of Recruiters Assistance, I remember picking her up to attend a function, I congradulated her becoming a Marine.  I specifically remember asking her, "So, Marine, what did you think of Boot Camp?"

Her: "It was fine Gunnery Sergeant, but it would have been a lot better if some b**hes out there just did what they were supposed to."

I remember looking at her smiled, went back to driving, thinking, "That's goddamn awesome."

• Cool 1

[V_V_V]
Members
1,199 posts
18,792 battles
35 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Her: "It was fine Gunnery Sergeant, but it would have been a lot better if some b**hes out there just did what they were supposed to."

I remember looking at her smiled, went back to driving, thinking, "That's goddamn awesome."

Works for me, as long as "Every Marine is a Rifleman" remains the mantra.

Edited by Charon2018

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
16,351 posts
43 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I don't believe I ever saw a soldier that didn't eventually do his or her job. Of course, a few did only their jobs as it's the nature of some to do the bare minimum needed to get by. However, when push came to shove even they would do what was asked of them.

As a medic, I wasn't required to do anything but be a medic. However, when the troops weren't sick or injured being a medic is a bit boring -- you can only study medical books so much before you go looking for something more interesting to do. I'd lend a hand wherever I could, setting up tents and camo netting, digging latrines, laying wire, standing guard, or even manning the howitzers, that is until the sergeant major told me to stop because it was against the Geneva Conventions for medics to operate crew-served weapons.

The word got out that I was both helpful and didn't mind going to the field so I was always being "commandeered" for operations where a medic was required. I came back from a three-week field maneuver once and my sergeant said that he thought I had been AWOL. I said, "No, Major Mac told me he needed a medic and to come with him." My sergeant said "Yeah, we finally figured that out, and by the way, we also put your name in and you won the drawing."  I said, "What drawing?" He said "The one to go TDY as the medical officer for a Boy Scout camp, do you want to do that?" I said, "Sure" so I got to spend an entire summer as a camp counselor, it was a hoot.    

Edited by Snargfargle

[WPORT]
Members
12,340 posts
16,581 battles
12 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I don't believe I ever saw a soldier that didn't eventually do his or her job. Of course, a few did only their jobs as it's the nature of some to do the bare minimum needed to get by. However, when push came to shove even they would do what was asked of them.

As a medic, I wasn't required to do anything but be a medic. However, when the troops weren't sick or injured being a medic is a bit boring -- you can only study medical books so much before you go looking for something more interesting to do. I'd lend a hand wherever I could, setting up tents and camo netting, digging latrines, laying wire, standing guard, or even manning the howitzers, that is until the sergeant major told me to stop because it was against the Geneva Conventions for medics to operate crew-served weapons.

The word got out that I was both helpful and didn't mind going to the field so I was always being "commandeered" for operations where a medic was required. I came back from a three-week field maneuver once and my sergeant said that he thought I had been AWOL. I said, "No, Major Mac told me he needed a medic and to come with him." My sergeant said "Yeah, we finally figured that out, and by the way, we also put your name in and you won the drawing."  I said, "What drawing?" He said "The one to go TDY as the medical officer for a Boy Scout camp, do you want to do that?" I said, "Sure" so I got to spend an entire summer as a camp counselor, it was a hoot.    

:cap_look::cap_like::cap_haloween:

Sign in to follow this