You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralFlame76

What makes Hatsuharu good?

What makes Hatsuharu good?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What makes Hatsuharu good?

• Guns
    • Torpedos
    • Concealment
    • Hp
    • Bacon

25 comments in this topic

[TF-64]
Members
75 posts
2,203 battles

I've seen many Hatsuharus in the past few days and many of them got multiple kills and got one of the highest base xp in my team and the enemy team. I understand that it is mostly decent players doing it but what makes it so good and deadly?

[WOLFC]
Members
3,659 posts
12,487 battles
3 hours ago, AdmiralFlame76 said:

I understand that it is mostly decent players doing it but what makes it so good and deadly?

The answer is two quadruple torpedo launchers with torps that hit like trucks and best-in-tier concealment. It’s the combination of the two.

Edit: And as someone pointed out, Hatsuharu has triple launchers (Shiratsuyu has quads). Regardless, it’s the combination of the strong torpedoes and good concealment. Hatsuharu can even stealth torp with the stock 6km torpedos provided you have a 10pt captain.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
7,256 posts
18,513 battles

Hatsuharu was somewhat secretly one of the nastiest ships in the game for a while, when she had both smoke and torpedo reload booster.  Nowadays you have to choose between the two.  But, she still has excellent concealment and plentiful, powerful torpedoes.  Her weaknesses are exposed once she is detected, as her guns are weak and she is very fragile.

[WORX]
Members
14,794 posts
21,241 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralFlame76 said:

I've seen many Hatsuharus in the past few days and many of them got multiple kills and got one of the highest base xp in my team and the enemy team. I understand that it is mostly decent players doing it but what makes it so good and deadly?

Nothing makes the HATS good... Its more related to the

• Torp detection is low
  • Hydro is not powerful
  • Radar is minimal
  • BBs dont have DD rudder.
  • CVs will still sink you if they choose to
    • OR take 3/4 of your health
    • OR harass you because they know you have no AA and you can;t do anything about it.

Because of the above noted.. Your concealment to torp range works...

Put a HATS in a CV constantly roketing and bombing it... You'll hate life fast. 

• Torps actually cause DMG, they hit like trucks... Unlike the high tier torp DDs, torps are not even a cause for concern anymore to big ships.
Edited by Navalpride33
  • Meh 1

[WPORT]
Members
12,340 posts
16,594 battles
2 hours ago, AdmiralFlame76 said:

The Hatsuharu is an excellent "torpedo bote".
Mine is at 5.8 km concealment.
The torpedoes pack a wallop.
Decent speed and user-friendly maneuvering.

I like the Hatsuharu.  :-)

Spoiler

The Commander in the screen-shots arrived with 3 skill-points.  She's very seasoned, now.

shot-21_08.30_22_02.38-0879.thumb.jpg.981943dfe767e5ec2dd403ec9c7fb164.jpg

shot-21_08.30_22_02.56-0861.thumb.jpg.5e22e1a4795a0b1e68cac313d85fb218.jpg

• Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,766 posts
13,456 battles
2 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

The answer is two quadruple torpedo launchers with torps that hit like trucks and best-in-tier concealment. It’s the combination of the two.

Hatsuharu only has 2 triple launchers, but ..

Compared to Fubuki, she's got slightly better concealment, she's slightly faster, is a little more maneuverable, and her guns are a hair better.

All that at the cost of 1 triple launcher.

[WOLFC]
Members
3,659 posts
12,487 battles
6 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Compared to Fubuki, she's got slightly better concealment, she's slightly faster, is a little more maneuverable, and her guns are a hair better.

:Smile_facepalm: That she does; it’s Shiratsuyu a tier higher that has the quad launchers. I haven’t played either of the ships in quite a while. Hatsuharu also has better AA than Fubuki, for what it’s worth, due to having dual-purpose 127mm guns (which her successor actually doesn’t have).

That extra launcher is a big price to pay, though Even a tier higher where Akatsuki only has one extra tube than Shiratsuyu, I’ve always preferred the flexibility of having the extra launcher and faster reloads, even with worse concealment. But then again, I suppose a more skilled torpedo boat captain than I can get more out of the better concealment (as well as the reload booster option at tier VII).

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,861 posts
27,592 battles

Hatsuharu isn't good, most especially since she's a Tier VI DD.  Mid Tier DDs get eaten alive when they have to deal with High Tier Destroyers.  6 torpedoes is also pretty laughable.  This DD has struggled her entire time in WoWS since it went Live.  Even at Launch when IJN DDs were at the peak of their pre-nerf power, Hatsuharu was a liability.  The IJN DD split didn't do any favors for her when that happened later on.

It used to be worse though.  Old Tier VI Mutsuki when the game was new, a.k.a. Mutsucky, sucked so bad that her torpedo range was shorter than her concealment range.  An IJN DD of all things!

Oh.  And Bacon.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[J7B]
Members
288 posts
1 hour ago, SgtBeltfed said:

I prefer the Fubuki and that extra triple launcher.

That said, it really depends on how many points your CDR has.  Hatsu's guns are (barely) usable with the right CDR skills to buff rotation and ROF.  Fubuki's are just hopeless.

[X-PN]
Members
2,258 posts
14,027 battles
4 hours ago, 4HizensTotalLandscaping said:

Nothing makes Hatsuharu good

That's my answer.

[ARGSY]
Members
26,200 posts
20,492 battles
10 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Hatsuharu was somewhat secretly one of the nastiest ships in the game for a while, when she had both smoke and torpedo reload booster.  Nowadays you have to choose between the two. 

No, that's Shiratsuyu at Tier 7.

Hatsuharu feels so good because her guns are a quantum leap above those of Minekaze, and because her torps when fully buffed reach out 3km further for not much worse concealment.

In fact, the guns are good enough that you can take her into co-op and be reckless with her to get the torps upgraded, and it won't take you all that long. Then she's a much better ship for PVP.

[J7B]
Members
288 posts
6 hours ago, MeglaGnome said:

Best feature of the Hastu is... the Shiratsuyu.

Yes, because it's one step closer to the Akizuki.  Whose guns don't do all that much damage, but damn they're fun.

[O_O]
Members
7,256 posts
18,513 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No, that's Shiratsuyu at Tier 7.

Ah, yes, my mistake.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,341 posts
8,669 battles

Overall a really useful combination of torps, & guns, maneuverability,  with very good concealment when fully upgraded.  It's passable as a gun boat or Smoke/Torpedo DD.    It has no glaring weaknesses except AA, which exists on pretty  much every DD in the game not named Halland.  Its about as close to a jack of all trades DD for its tier as you'll find in the game IMO.      

[KMS]
Members
49 posts
32,279 battles

Dude asked about the Hats, not the Shira one tier up.  No comparison.  Better to run it side-by-side to the Shinonome (better guns, 3x3 torps, shorter range, NO AA), or even other ships of its tier.  I found Hats highly competitive in Bronze ranked.

I prefer the Hats over the Fubs (RIP old version, a true gem of a bote), one of the few ships I couldn't stand looking at in port.  More maneuverable, better detect, better AA.  Its big downside is the horrendous turret traverse.  And something no one has mentioned, the wide torp spread, which grows wider with each kilometer. 

Edited by U505_Gunner

Beta Testers
90 posts
23,133 battles
On 8/30/2021 at 7:51 PM, AdmiralFlame76 said:

You left off AA but also multiple votes, and it would not be number one strenff.  It’s the best AA at T6, but maybe Farragut with DFA.

Beta Testers
90 posts
23,133 battles
On 8/30/2021 at 9:22 PM, Navalpride33 said:

Nothing makes the HATS good... Its more related to the

• Torp detection is low
  • Hydro is not powerful
  • Radar is minimal
  • BBs dont have DD rudder.
  • CVs will still sink you if they choose to
    • OR take 3/4 of your health
    • OR harass you because they know you have no AA and you can;t do anything about it.

Because of the above noted.. Your concealment to torp range works...

Put a HATS in a CV constantly roketing and bombing it... You'll hate life fast. 

• Torps actually cause DMG, they hit like trucks... Unlike the high tier torp DDs, torps are not even a cause for concern anymore to big ships.

“You have no AA.”

Highest rated T6 DD AA...

[WORX]
Members
14,794 posts
21,241 battles
Just now, SmithWinston_655321 said:

“You have no AA.”

Highest rated T6 DD AA...

For which, in retrospect.. Means nothing to a determine CV driver or his planes....

Lately, I haven't anyone rocking the AA DEF Hats... If they did.. It was solely for the lulz...

• Meh 1

[BEARS]
Beta Testers
344 posts
9,958 battles

Only the player's skill, damn sure not the ship.