You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
IJN_Atago2021

Ships

17 comments in this topic

Members
11 posts
42 battles

Should I get a ship which statistics that shows it is good, or one with more people play with that ship, or, one the most people vote for? Ok, but should I then try all the countries ship or just a certain few countries? Also, should I just get the first ship of the ship of the countries, like not go into them?

Edited by IJN_Atago2021

[WOLFG]
Members
13,710 posts
13,415 battles

Figure out what you enjoy first before putting money in to a ship.

[WOLFG]
Members
301 posts
4,752 battles

When picking out a ship, you should go for the one that you will enjoy playing the most or the one you can get the most out of. A popular/ powerful ships is not necessarily a ship you will enjoy playing. I'll use myself as example, I some time back had the opportunity to get the T-61, a very powerful, some would say  overpowered Tier 6 destroyer for free (I had free doubloons saved up). I did not get it because I am not good at nor do I really enjoy the dd playstyle. 

Edited by cheekywarship2018

[SCRUM]
[SCRUM]
Members
37 posts
3,017 battles

Pick one that matches the style you most enjoy playing. You're gonna have to practice to improve, so it's best that is done in a ship whose play style matches your own. There are some ships that are not rated as 'good' ships, but they are ones that I enjoy playing :)

[FE]
[FE]
Members
286 posts
3,622 battles

All of the above is true. Give multiple low-tier ships a try. Do not dedicate yourself to one type or nation too early. Once you have found the branch you like the most then start to climb that tree more, but do not completely forget about the others. You may need them at some point. For a specific mission or just a change of pace.

Edit: For example, I started out focused on just U.S. ships and didn't realize until I had done the grind all the way to Montana that German BBs were more my thing.

Edited by Mason1984

[TSG4C]
Members
207 posts
9,670 battles

I would suggest trying to get all classes and nations of ships to level T5.  Then you will have a pretty clear idea what your 'playstyle' is and can focus on the ships you enjoy playing.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
1,222 posts

You need to start narrowing down what type of ship you enjoy playing.  That will determine what is going to be the best investment for you.  Then you can start narrowing down which country you enjoy playing that type of ship in.  Ships will play differently for each country.  This is not a fast process.  To speed things up, try playing on PTS for awhile so that you can try as many different types of ships and countries with no investment.  Take your time.

Edited by Captain_Rawhide

[RLGN]
Members
17,081 posts
30,059 battles
2 hours ago, Rollingonit said:

The one which you think you will get the most enjoyment out of playing.

Mikasa, Marblehead, Konigsburg, (cries in Ex-Bogue,) Nicholas, Ark Royal, Warspite, Ocean Liner Normandie, New Mexico, Akizuki, Fletcher, Tashkent, Friesland, GkF.

[WOLFC]
Members
3,659 posts
12,487 battles
2 hours ago, IJN_Atago2021 said:

Should I get a ship which statistics that shows it is good, or one with more people play with that ship, or, one the most people vote for?

When selecting a premium ship, you should first ask yourself what type of play style you enjoy. If you can’t answer that question, you shouldn’t be considering getting a premium ship.

My advice: with your battle count you do not have nearly enough personal experience to make an informed personal decision. I would concentrate  on just playing the game, progressing up a few tech tree lines to mid tiers, and figuring out what you enjoy before you dedicate any physical or mental resources to obtaining a premium ship. You will be much less likely to make a decision you later regret.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
12,340 posts
16,594 battles
13 hours ago, IJN_Atago2021 said:

Should I get a ship which statistics that shows it is good, or one with more people play with that ship, or, one the most people vote for? Ok, but should I then try all the countries ship or just a certain few countries?

As a member of the World of Warships Collector's Club, I don't need much of a reason to welcome a ship to my Port.  :-)
https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/177016-world-of-warships-collectors-club/

Try several types of ships that are similar the one you're interested in.  Play on the Public Test Server, to shorten the grind and test-drive sooner.

Just welcome a ship for the fun of it.  :-)

Zootopia (2016) - Arriving (Try Everything)

[VAST_]
Members
320 posts
7,683 battles

I'd emphasize trying all the different types before going too far up one line.

I avoided DD's on purpose for way too long thinking BB's were the only way to go. That was dumb of me. Now I consider DD's the most fun overall although I play all types (except CV and subs.)

Members
996 posts
8,620 battles

Yeah just play as many ship types and nations as you can.  When you understand how each ship works you will play better.  You will also know how to counter them.  Don't worry about leveling up to fast it will only be to your determinate. 

[TSG4C]
Members
207 posts
9,670 battles
16 minutes ago, CapnCazuul said:

I'd emphasize trying all the different types before going too far up one line.

I avoided DD's on purpose for way too long thinking BB's were the only way to go. That was dumb of me. Now I consider DD's the most fun overall although I play all types (except CV and subs.)

I am a BB player because it was the slowest ships to use while learning about this game.  I played DDs to get to the carriers and then stopped playing them because they were just too quick.  I bought Graf Zeppelin and after the honeymoon period was over I stopped playing it.  I bought the Lenin about the same time as the GZ and I really like playing it.  The trouble is as I progressed up the ranks in BBs and CVs it became very apparent that I needed to understand how to play cruisers and DDs.  I'm putting off working on the CVs until I've gotten the cruisers and DDs to tier 9.

Grinding all classes,  lines and nations evenly in Random battles enables you to learn the nuances of ships on different maps and how to be effective for your team.  Doing this also helps with mission requirements thus more income.

Strive to level out ship tiers among nations at tier 5 and tier 8.  As you do this it will become obvious to you which premium ships you would like.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,409 posts
10,728 battles
15 hours ago, IJN_Atago2021 said:

Should I get a ship which statistics that shows it is good, or one with more people play with that ship, or, one the most people vote for? Ok, but should I then try all the countries ship or just a certain few countries?

You have 36 battles, you need to play some different lines to see what you like, before you spend.

• Cool 1

[REKTD]
Members
802 posts
12,367 battles
17 hours ago, IJN_Atago2021 said:

Real experience testing each of those strategies resulted in failure & frustration. A few points picked up:

• The more people that play a ship, the more lower it’s stats will be, especially US tech tree ships. (The low stats don’t correlate to the quality of the ship, only of those playing it).
  • The ships showing great statistics are often either:
    • Very low players playing it; so a higher percent of great players skew the stats, or...
    • These ships may have a specific trait or playstyle that once figured out can be leveraged by high experience players to carry their teams. The ships like this, in my case the nuanced Haida, I am rather useless in.
  • Each class, and each national line have specific play styles and traits. Each class also has differences. So every “vote” for any ship or line will be biased towards the playstyle the author prefers.

I recommend using cruisers early to learn angling, kiting, and basic mechanics. Once you get an understanding of how you like to sink ships (devestating strikes / citadel hits vs torpedoes vs fires), how to avoid being sunk (armor vs stealth vs kiting), start exploring lines based on your preference.

As others have noted, purchasing anything is kind of useless in WoWS as premium ships cater to specific playstyles and are often actually harder to win in than their tech tree counterpart if you do not know their more nuanced play advantages.

Edited by SuperComm4