Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheHolyAsdf

How to tell when MM is skewed

14 comments in this topic

[R0SE]
Members
83 posts
2,036 battles

A game starts and a number of players begin complaing about the MM, implying that there are substantially better players on one team than the other.

How do they have this information at hand when the game starts?

I sometimes hover over each player's name in tab menu, and just look at their medal/emblem, which could be indicative of their skill floor. It's laborsome process though.

• Boring 1

[SALVO]
Beta Testers
2,215 posts
32,224 battles
11 minutes ago, TheHolyAsdf said:

A game starts and a number of players begin complaing about the MM, implying that there are substantially better players on one team than the other.

I sometimes hover over each player's name in tab menu, and just look at their medal/emblem, which could be indicative of their skill floor. It's laborsome process though.

There is an app called Matchmaker Monitor that you can use to see this kind of information after the battle loads.  It is one of those in the ModStation which is linked below.
https://dl-wows-gc.wargaming.net/projects/mods/ModStation/release/2.1.0.2/WorldOfWarships.ModStation.Setup.exe

[ARA-I]
Members
208 posts
3,209 battles

There's a thing called WOWS Monitor which can give you that information. ModStation also had "flippers" mods which show the "quality" of players in-battle, but I'm not sure whether those still work.

At any rate, I wouldn't recommend it. It's always bad to start a battle demoralized: you're ensuring defeat.

• Cool 2

[WORX]
Members
14,790 posts
21,241 battles
16 minutes ago, TheHolyAsdf said:

MMM for short or Match Maker Monitor... Aslain has it also... I never use it... The  math I use already knows how many people from what percentage will be in a match.

To me... Its a useless mod...

[ARA-I]
Members
208 posts
3,209 battles
28 minutes ago, SeaShadowAR said:

At any rate, I wouldn't recommend it. It's always bad to start a battle demoralized: you're ensuring defeat.

To expand a bit on this, I believe people underestimate the impact of morale on a match. Players don't usually invest the same effort if things aren't going well, and it doesn't help to know you're up against more challenging adversaries than usual before the action even starts.

Does it suck that random battles MM isn't more skill-based? Definitely, but considering the status quo, don't make it worse giving up before the first shot. Some players' resolve is so brittle they seem to throw the towel as soon as they see, say, a 2% average WR difference on their fancy monitor. Or read about it on chat.

Edited by SeaShadowAR

Members
1,193 posts
16,123 battles

One doesn't even need mmm to know just have to look at the clan tag of player or division to know how that going to go

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,377 posts
25,203 battles

Frankly, I find it most helpful when I have a decision to make as to which push to support.  Is it the DD with a PR of 157 or one that has a PR of 1152?  It provides enough information you can generally weigh the credibility of your teammates to see where you can best assist.  Yes, sometimes it is a bit frustrating out of the gate when you happen to have a slew of red on one side and purple on the other; but it only makes the victories more satisfying.

I'm a MMM user, I could change, but I won't.

Happy sailing!

[ARGSY]
Members
26,180 posts
20,469 battles
39 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

Frankly, I find it most helpful when I have a decision to make as to which push to support.  Is it the DD with a PR of 157 or one that has a PR of 1152? 

SO which one do you support, and why? Do you go in to help keep the rookie alive so he can achieve something? To patch the hole that you foresee resulting from his rapid extermination? Or do you support the middling player who's got the better chance of being part of a successful play on that flank?

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,377 posts
25,203 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

SO which one do you support, and why? Do you go in to help keep the rookie alive so he can achieve something? To patch the hole that you foresee resulting from his rapid extermination? Or do you support the middling player who's got the better chance of being part of a successful play on that flank?

Not an answer that is absolute given there are a lot of variables at play here.  If I think there is an advantage to supporting the weaker player because they are exploiting an opportunity, I will support it.  If it appears it is a high risk, low reward scenario with the low player they will generally be advised of such and I will support the option that provides the best opportunity for a team win.

Just saying, if everything else is equal and I have two options to exclusively support (in vacuum), people do gain credibility off good manners, communications, and historical performance.

MMM provides data but the match is fluid.  

• Thanks 1

[-VT-]
Members
1,508 posts
32,015 battles

They refuse to do even simple ship filter to improve Match making its very lazy on their part to not try few simple things

[SIMP]
Members
1,467 posts
12,222 battles
24 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You ignore the low PR player and play your game.

Make your decisions from the tactical situation presented

- How to win 101

[FOHS]
Members
1,549 posts
5,319 battles

You can look at the CV and DD win rates and pretty much determine who is going to win. Especially with the horribly passive play as the tiers increase.

Sign in to follow this