Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GeneralZap

Simple Torpedo Detection Rework Balance.

5 comments in this topic

[CRACA]
Members
68 posts
4,047 battles

In addition to tighter torpedo launches so entire BB's can't literally just aim their boat at the middle of torps, I also recommend; detection randomization.
I don't care how you do the math but every torpedo being detected from however many MANY KM's it is is absurd and makes torpedoes nothing but a nuisance rather than unexpected potential death or mayhem. As if people don't already understand torpedo tactics and stay clear with the various many MANY perks before they're even launched.

At 6km, perhaps detection rate should be 35%. Then 42% at 5km, then 55% at 4km, 60% and so on, *per torp.* This will make it so at least people don't magically know the entire torpedo formation the millisecond they see it from literally nautical miles away, but do ever increasingly know as it gets closer and the guy with the binocs starts pissing his pants. Spotting torps would be more effective the more crew, so BB> CA>CV> CL> DD [CV's normally have less crew looking for torps, more for AA/Secondaries/Air Crew.] I haven't done numbers testing so obviously you'd change these around in alpha/beta.

Edited by GeneralZap
  • Boring 1

[D-DAY]
Members
7,217 posts

To be fair, WG have indicated to everyone playing the game where they want DDs to be when it comes to damage. Just look at the stats for all servers over many years.

The way I summarise the DD role is by thinking of it as an objective/support ship in the main. If you have caps then you are the best ship type to contest that objective. No cap zones? Then you are the ship that facilitates trying to light the enemy up so your team can succeed in its objective to kill those enemy ships.

Very simple examples, but they do explain your role in the main. And the longer you survive the more influence you will have on the game. The DD gets stronger the less ships they have to face - this is more true than most other ships due to the concealment benefits it has. 

In general your earnings (Credit/Exp) will be comparable to other ship types should you perform your role well.

Can you damage/kill? Of course! But is damage and killing your main function - IMO, in the main, no. It is to contest those objectives and support your team by using your concealment strengths to 'help the team win'. As stated, the longer you survive, the stronger you will get.

(I don't even see the killing of enemy DDs or a ASW role as a direct function. You spot, you add your firepower - you take your opportunities where you can if an enemy sub, DD or even BB over extend. But remember the objectives and the 'live longer - get stronger' mantra. Those kills will become more viable later in match). :Smile_honoring:

[CRACA]
Members
68 posts
4,047 battles

That's a lot of justification for torps being boring and completely expected at nigh every time.

Edited by GeneralZap

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,962 posts
7,132 battles

Torpedoes have many strengths.  Focus on those and not their weaknesses.  Removing their weaknesses will result in future DD nerfs.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,973 posts

give dd's realistic loadouts too...  only reloads for ships that actually could...

Sign in to follow this