You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lancelot0001

So, the Missouri "sale" is here

213 comments in this topic

[NMKJT]
Members
3,764 posts
9,007 battles
2 minutes ago, slothfeet said:

If a crafty marketer wanted to maximize purchases of 41 bundles in the current environment, it would seem to be a sound strategy to intentionally leak fake information suggesting 75 to quickly deny and as a result:

1.  Discredit popular naysayers who took the bait thus calling into question any further criticism from them

2.  Create in the mind of the buyer that they are getting a “deal” since it is just 41 (psychological sales tactic)

3.  Establish some goodwill of the customer who now has some added trust that the seller is honest.

seems like this would be a win-win for the marketer.

You don't even have to be that crafty to do it. The positives for their side are pretty obvious, and there's also no way to verify if it was done or not short of actual employees leaking. It's a pretty easy marketing tactic if they have a hard crowd, to soften them up in various ways.

[TOG]
Members
319 posts
12,713 battles

Don't get all bent out of shape over this crappy ship.

As an OG owner my personal experience is the ship sucks. It LOOKS pretty and has that historical attraction. It goes fast. Yay.

However:

AA sucks.

Secondaries suck epically. It's almost like WG was jealous WW2 surrender of Japan was on this ship so they hobbled its 5/38's into little T-Rex 🦖 arms.

Side armor is wet toilet paper. I think the paint is the actual armor.

If you do manage to somehow survive a turn ( VERY low chance of that ) it seems EVERYTHING can shred your stern so don't even bother kiting. 

Main battery is trollish. Totally dependent on RNG. Sometimes the shells fly like they are taped together. And others ... Looks like they were fired by Marty Feldman. That's why there have been so many threads claiming WG stealth nerfed it's guns and so many people like LWM had to write rebuttals that they didn't.

Honestly, other than just looking at it and rubbing it with a diaper in port, the only thing really ever entertaining about this ship was when Steven Seagal was running around its deck in port.

Disclaimers: Yes I'm only a below average player at best and hey, I'm no expert but I have played over 10,000 rounds over 5 years going on six now and I have 308 ships. This is the one that stands out as the biggest disappointment to me and seriously the most vulnerable to anything on its sides.

• Cool 2

[D-PN]
Members
2,911 posts
15,564 battles

The one fact I wish I knew....

Is each container a 1 in 41 chance with a hard pity built in at container 41 or is it 1 in 41, then 1 in 40, then 1 in 39, and so on.  Before you say it has to be the later be aware that I have not noticed specific language telling us one way or the other.  It wouldn't surprise me if WG is being purposely vague with that sort of information.

In fact, I believe it was Mountbatten, who did informal survey that showed an unexpectedly high number of boxes for the Johan de Witt only gave the ship in the last 10 boxes or so.  His survey was admittedly prone to error or bias, but it still raised some interesting questions.  I mean who is checking these boxes to say odds are what we assume them to be... and what laws are there to enforce any malfeasance in the drop rate of the loot boxes. 

[WOLFG]
Members
15,425 posts
16,311 battles
2 hours ago, Thegooorooo said:

Could have easily been changed after the fact to help with blowback

The wrong number could have been leaked to troll Flamu.

Members
143 posts
15,678 battles
1 hour ago, paradat said:

Well if you were only looking at the MO then yeah I totally agree it is all the other stuff that makes interesting. I might whale this depending on the break down and I already have MO.

cheaper to just buy it all outright, then you also get the ships you want rather than random ships from a box.

[WG]
Administrator
4,718 posts
15,780 battles
6 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

The one fact I wish I knew....

Is each container a 1 in 41 chance with a hard pity built in at container 41 or is it 1 in 41, then 1 in 40, then 1 in 39, and so on.  Before you say it has to be the later be aware that I have not noticed specific language telling us one way or the other.  It wouldn't surprise me if WG is being purposely vague with that sort of information.

In fact, I believe it was Mountbatten, who did informal survey that showed an unexpectedly high number of boxes for the Johan de Witt only gave the ship in the last 10 boxes or so.  His survey was admittedly prone to error or bias, but it still raised some interesting questions.  I mean who is checking these boxes to say odds are what we assume them to be... and what laws are there to enforce any malfeasance in the drop rate of the loot boxes. 

Supposedly there's no rigging.  It's just flat, straight odds.  1/41, then 1/40, then 1/39, then 1/38, etc...

On the plus side, roughly 2.4% of the server will see Missouri as the first bundle and be able to grab it for 1500 dubs and walk away.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,100 posts
28,562 battles

I can not remember any event like this where I felt the need to buy a crate with doubloons or money. I just farm the freebies and ignore the rest of it. Eventually all this crap they are offering up, will be available for normal purchase. If Wargaming wants to put on scummy events like this, let them, just don't give them any cash. Let them pay their employees and other bills with event tokens. I am sure it will be fine.... 

[WG]
Administrator
4,718 posts
15,780 battles
3 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

The wrong number could have been leaked to troll Flamu.

Personal guess is the original intent was to heavily monetize the content and the 75 may well have been correct.

However, there was a BIG situation on the CC discord when the Missouri for Random Bundles bit was mentioned.  It did not go down well. 

After that, WG seemed cagey about confirming any details on what the bundle would be or if any other options might be available.  My assumption is that folks were talking behind the scenes about backlash and figuring a different way to do it.

Then the Exodus kicked off, and I imagine it was absolutely locked in that they were going to step back and re-tool the Bundle stuff, as well as figure out how to work in the secondary option of Direct Buy.

-----

As I said up a post, 2.4% of the population should get the option to grab Missouri off the first bundle, so that's cool.  And I'm personally happy there's a second option.  Timed gated or whatever, at least it exists.  That's something CCs wanted.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
14,425 posts
20,578 battles
1 hour ago, OnociTsalk said:

I am still trying to figure out if old Missouri owners get dubs if they pull a MO in this bundle. If not, it would be a gross waste

Pretty sure you would, but yeah confirmation would be good.

[WG]
Administrator
4,718 posts
15,780 battles
1 hour ago, OnociTsalk said:

I am still trying to figure out if old Missouri owners get dubs if they pull a MO in this bundle. If not, it would be a gross waste

Uh, I'll ask that right now.  The answer is probably yes, but can't hurt to double-check.

Update:  I'm told they would get 19,200 Dubloons for getting the Missouri while already having it.

Edited by Ahskance
  • Cool 2

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
14,425 posts
20,578 battles
6 minutes ago, Thegooorooo said:

cheaper to just buy it all outright, then you also get the ships you want rather than random ships from a box.

Agreed after ruff calculation, this is not a sale. The possible exception is if you put a lot of value on the Dragon flags.

[SVF]
Members
2,203 posts
2,494 battles
5 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

Supposedly there's no rigging.  It's just flat, straight odds.

One would have to look at the source code for the drop rates to confirm this, because trusting WG's word alone anymore is a fool's action imo.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
14,425 posts
20,578 battles
1 minute ago, Ahskance said:

Uh, I'll ask that right now.  The answer is probably yes, but can't hurt to double-check.

Very nice thanks Ahskance.

[WG]
Administrator
4,718 posts
15,780 battles
1 minute ago, landcollector said:

One would have to look at the source code for the drop rates to confirm this, because trusting WG's word alone anymore is a fool's action imo.

I'm not able to code-crack :\ 

But it's been said directly from the top that they do not rig things.  It's straight random.

That was stated while talking about laws and making sure everything is legal and above-board, so it might be a legal requirement for loot boxes/chance based stuff?  At least, that's not labeled as actual gambling whatever.

[FE]
[FE]
Members
286 posts
3,666 battles
9 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

Personal guess is the original intent was to heavily monetize the content and the 75 may well have been correct.

However, there was a BIG situation on the CC discord when the Missouri for Random Bundles bit was mentioned.  It did not go down well. 

After that, WG seemed cagey about confirming any details on what the bundle would be or if any other options might be available.  My assumption is that folks were talking behind the scenes about backlash and figuring a different way to do it.

Then the Exodus kicked off, and I imagine it was absolutely locked in that they were going to step back and re-tool the Bundle stuff, as well as figure out how to work in the secondary option of Direct Buy.

-----

As I said up a post, 2.4% of the population should get the option to grab Missouri off the first bundle, so that's cool.  And I'm personally happy there's a second option.  Timed gated or whatever, at least it exists.  That's something CCs wanted.

I agree with this post. The company is trying to correct some of its mistakes. I do not agree with how they are going about it, but I do feel they are attempting to correct THIS mistake. By this mistake I mean the backlash about Missouri being purchasable for doubloons, and then added to loot crates only. 

Edited by Mason1984
added bold portion

Members
573 posts
28,203 battles
5 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

Update:  I'm told they would get 19,200 Dubloons for getting the Missouri while already having it.

Thanks a bunch @Ahskance. I will still wait to see if any actual buyers can confirm it tomorrow, just in case there is a communication error, but if indeed is a dub compensation then that is great news. +1

[MAUS]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
13,472 posts

Some loot-box numbers for you all:

• 1,500 doubloons per pull.
  • 41 pulls max to guarantee Missouri
  • 21 pulls on average needed, assuming there's even odds for each reward type. And we have no way of knowing if they've weighted this to skew the numbers.
  • That's $158.76 for the average cost of Missouri (in Canuckistani Dollaridoos), again assuming Wargaming hasn't tipped the scales against you.
  • Or a maximum of $309.96 for the maximum cost of Missouri (again, in Canuckistani Dollaridoos)
  • The nominal price for a tier IX Premium is $97.27 (once more, in Canuckistani Dollaridoos)
  • So to get Missouri for the same price as a tier IX premium, you have to pull her in 12 tries. That's a 29% chance.  This means for every 100 people who loot box gamble, 71 of them are overpaying.  And this is again assuming the odds haven't been skewed.  That 29% can shrink VERY quickly if the other prizes have a higher draw-chance than Missouri herself.
Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 6

[WG]
Administrator
4,718 posts
15,780 battles
Just now, OnociTsalk said:

Thanks a bunch @Ahskance. I will still wait to see if any actual buyers can confirm it tomorrow, just in case there is a communication error, but if indeed is a dub compensation then that is great news. +1

I believe a few CCs have already purchased the bundles on press accounts (because unlimited dubloons) and confirmed it.  This photo was dropped by the CC that confirmed the total to me.

unknown.png

[PVE]
Members
8,293 posts
19 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

You're right, it has never been clearly stated one way or another.  I'd guess you are guaranteed to get the ship.  I say that because I'm pretty sure the entire point of random bundles is an attempt to get around gambling laws.  The most meaningful change made to the loot boxes is showing the contents of the next container, then they can say you always know what you're buying so it's not gambling.  

Members
573 posts
28,203 battles
1 minute ago, Ahskance said:

I believe a few CCs have already purchased the bundles on press accounts (because unlimited dubloons) and confirmed it.  This photo was dropped by the CC that confirmed the total to me.

unknown.png

Thanks. The CC did not scroll down to show the words "If you already own this ship you will be compensated ...." though. Any chance you can get that line?

[WG]
Administrator
4,718 posts
15,780 battles
3 minutes ago, Mason1984 said:

I agree with this post. The company is trying to correct some of its mistakes. I do not agree with how they are going about it, but I do feel they are attempting to correct THIS mistake.

All the signs I see point to a pretty serious behind-the-scenes, at the moment.  The reason there's no big announcements about changing X or Y is because nothing is small or simple.  It's a global company across the face of most of the earth.

I asked Ev1n on the NA stream about a rough idea of timetables for change, like at a producer level of the organization.  He confirmed it's not fast.

A) All regions need to have input, because all regions are different.

B) All new concepts and plans have to be theorized and concept-tested before the company is going to commit to them.

It's not to say that the company WILL change, because it ultimately might just be too big of a thing to ever commit to outside of an Act of God.  However, indications are that everyone is taking it very seriously.

[WG]
Administrator
4,718 posts
15,780 battles
Just now, OnociTsalk said:

Thanks. The CC did not scroll down to show the words "If you already own this ship you will be compensated ...." though. Any chance you can get that line?

No, but he did confirm the number to me.

The Missouri was credited to all CC and CC Press Accounts like a week ago, so there's no reason to assume he didn't have that experience.

• Cool 1

Members
573 posts
28,203 battles
Just now, Ahskance said:

No, but he did confirm the number to me.

The Missouri was credited to all CC and CC Press Accounts like a week ago, so there's no reason to assume he didn't have that experience.

Gracias

Beta Testers
105 posts
3,545 battles
7 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

• So to get Missouri for the same price as a tier IX premium, you have to pull her in 12 tries. That's a 29% chance.  This means for every 100 people who loot box gamble, 71 of them are overpaying.  And this is again assuming the odds haven't been skewed.

And this right here is why Missouri is in gambling boxes and the only other ways to obtain her are highly convoluted. WG knows they can make more with the gambling boxes than they could straight up selling the ship.

[RBMK2]
Members
198 posts
18,120 battles
3 hours ago, Burnsy said:

I am no fan of the way WG handled this....at all.  The MO should be sold directly in the shop. But the leak was REALLY incorrect.

Or the leak was correct at the time, and, once caught in the spotlight again, WG revised the loot post chain post leak to cover their a$$?