Lert

What is the 'house of the rising sun'

5 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,386 posts
22,908 battles
Spoiler

"The meaning of the House of the Rising Sun is always the same: It's a place of vice, a place of darkness and foreboding, and a place that one desperately wants to avoid, yet is constantly drawn back to."

Spoiler

So it's like this forum then.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3
  • Sad 1

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
351 posts
8,732 battles

Given the number of posts I have seen from people saying they have quit the game but still come to forms - your observation works for me. 

[TAZ]
Members
962 posts

I am from New Orleans, it refers to a brothel in Storyville (The legalized prostitution district on the edge of the French Quarter from 1897 to 1917 named after the city alderman Sidney Story)

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,386 posts
22,908 battles
3 minutes ago, Nutaz said:

I am from New Orleans, it refers to a brothel in Storyville (The legalized prostitution district on the edge of the French Quarter from 1897 to 1917 named after the city alderman Sidney Story)

That might be the reference in some versions, but as the video explains, the song has origins going back way longer than 1897, and in some versions it refers to other things. I do appreciate the historical reference you mentioned though, but I think the meaning of the song as popularized by the Animals has gone beyond said historical reference.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
16,351 posts
17 hours ago, Lert said:

song has origins going back way longer than 1897

"It's too old to talk about" -- Tom Ashley

That was an interesting video, thanks for posting it.