You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Igiby100

Steel ship?

10 comments in this topic

Members
103 posts
1,170 battles

I am looking to get my first steel ship. I am primarily looking for a ship for competitive play (ranked and CB), but I will be extremely reluctant to purchase a powerful ship that is no fun to play. Here are my ideas of the current options. If any of these are unjustified (most of them are just gleaned from what I have seen/heard in game), incorrect, etc. please let me know. However, I am open to anything.

Stalingrad: I am frequently told this is the best steel ship, or one of them, but I don't see what makes it any better than Alaska or Yoshino. It seems like a side-grade of Petro; just a mini-Kremlin. And I happen to dislike Soviet BBs. 

FDR: This seems like a Midway variant: slower attacks, each attack hurts more. Slow, large squadrons seem to melt under concentrated AA fire at T10, given the sheer volume of flak you have to deal with. I think this is not something I would like or be able to use to its fullest. It seems more frustrating and less potent.

Plymouth: This seems like a powerful ship, (except for the T6 AA at T10), but it kind of seems like it belongs at T10. Also, it is so uncommon that I think it might get removed to return as a coal ship, and I would hate to purchase something that shows up for coal 6 months later.

BourgogneI am frequently told how powerful this is, and it seems that way. However, I hate low-caliber BBs. Additionally, fragile AA/secondaries, mixed with fragile, lightly armored main guns means that you either take Auxiliary Armaments Mod 1, and have your guns get perma-broken in 2 salvos, or take Main Armaments Mod 1, and become CV food after 3 HE salvos. This seems like an irreconcilable fault. The speed seems fun, however.

Austin: This seems like a Flint. The lack of radar at T10 seems like it would hurt (especially on a ship designed to kill DDs), but most cruiser lines make do without. The torpedoes seem nice. Overall, it seems like a fun, capable ship. My one worry is this: the higher to tier, the harder to play CL/CLAA effectively. Short range and light armor really hurt in the current meta. Flint sucks at T7, but is fun to play (sometimes). I don't want to spend 27k steel for a fun but crappy ship. Austin doesn't seem crappy, but I am apprehensive. 

Shikishima: This seems like a good choice. The low number of guns will be sucky, but not impossible to overcome given this ship's built-in MBM3. The secondaries and AA are much better than Yamato, but the cheek section will probably make brawling impossible. Not sure if this is worth it, but it does seem fun. In Grand Battles, I could citadel battleships at obscene ranges. Incomparable is coming up, however, so this ship will be powercrept badly.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,219 posts
9,175 battles

I picked Shikishima over Bourgogne due to Bourgogne's 32mm plating literally everywhere and low health pool.  I like my BBs to be able to take at least a bit of a hammering.

Shikishima's rate of fire is significantly better than Yamato's when Yamato is using the UU, and Shikishima's dispersion is still slightly better than UU Yamato.

[-RNG-]
Members
3,240 posts
6,608 battles

Staly has been powercrept by Petro, but still would be the go to for clan battles. FDR is great if you play CVS but with ship bans being the new norm it has limited use. Plymouth and Austin are likley too frail to become a cb meta but if CBS are your thing they could probably perform in ranked. 

Im much more of a BB expert... Bourgogne is one of my favorite ships in the game. You can spec her a vareity of different ways which makes ranked VERY fun. In CBS she will see no practical action but in ranked she can be a fragile menace if played right. 

Shikishima is a trolly Yamato. In competetive she won't offer much that Yamato doesn't, but if you like Yammy and want even bigger guns and awesome secondaries then she may be for you

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,404 posts
16,552 battles

If someone is melting fdr planes tell me how cuz those things seem to live forever under aa. Flak burst hurt everything but those planes seem to be tough to kill.

to the op, agree with what someone said that petro is a better stali and I’d imagine petro will continue to get “limited” in cb so Stalingrad is still a great ship for both competitive modes. Not as great without the bb survivability skills removed but still great in the right lineup and position. 

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
36,867 posts
29,943 battles
1 minute ago, Helstrem said:

I picked Shikishima over Bourgogne due to Bourgogne's 32mm plating literally everywhere and low health pool.  I like my BBs to be able to take at least a bit of a hammering.

Shikishima's rate of fire is significantly better than Yamato's when Yamato is using the UU, and Shikishima's dispersion is still slightly better than UU Yamato.

The caveat to Shikashima is that she only has 6 guns total.  If you have to play very conservatively, that means only using the forward 2 turrets, which is a max of 4 guns firing.

Shikashima is accurate, reloads fast, but with 4-6 gun salvos, there's plenty of room for her to get screwed over by RNG.  Bad salvos still happen even for Yamato, and she has 6-9 gun salvos.  WG also gave Shikashima AP shells a lot of damage:

Yamato 460mm AP 14.8k dmg

Thunderer 457mm AP 14.9k dmg

Ohio 457mm AP 15.7k dmg

Kremlin 457mm AP 14.5k dmg

Shikashima 510mm AP 19.4k dmg

Of course, there's a lot more dynamics to useful gunnery going on in the above.  If Shikashima salvos get RNG blessed, someone on the other end is going to have a bad time.  The low rifle count is a problem, but overall, Shikashima performs very well in the ultra competitive field of Tier X Battleships.

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,219 posts
9,175 battles
Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The caveat to Shikashima is that she only has 6 guns total.  If you have to play very conservatively, that means only using the forward 2 turrets, which is a max of 4 guns firing.

Shikashima is accurate, reloads fast, but with 4-6 gun salvos, there's plenty of room for her to get screwed over by RNG.  Bad salvos still happen even for Yamato, and she has 6-9 gun salvos.  WG also gave Shikashima AP shells a lot of damage:

Yamato 460mm AP 14.8k dmg

Thunderer 457mm AP 14.9k dmg

Ohio 457mm AP 15.7k dmg

Kremlin 457mm AP 14.5k dmg

Shikashima 510mm AP 19.4k dmg

Of course, there's a lot more dynamics to useful gunnery going on in the above.  If Shikashima salvos get RNG blessed, someone on the other end is going to have a bad time.  The low rifle count is a problem, but overall, Shikashima performs very well in the ultra competitive field of Tier X Battleships.

All true, but I do average more damage in Shikishima than I do in Yamato.  My win rate is higher in Yamato though.  I average even more damage in Musashi, but have a bad win rate in Musashi.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,502 battles

If you want it for CBs Stalingrad is probably still the answer. Tanky, radar, and great guns.

FDR is also good, but only if you're already a very good CV player. It has a high alpha strike, but it's unwieldy. Not a ship for a beginner. Also, CVs overall in CBs are not popular so the chances of them being banned outright is high. And even if they aren't FDR may be banned. Definitely wouldn't rely on FDR being allowed in CBs.

Plymouth and Austin are no, not for CBs. Fragile and not enough DPM to make up for it.

Shiki, nope. It's a Yamato in every way that matters, and Yamato is a rare choice in CBs, slow and big.

Bourg, eh maybe. It's a great ship for Randoms. But the lack of overmatch and bad plating makes it iffy in competitive.

In the end Stalingrad is still the best competitive steel ship unless you're a good CV player.

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,317 posts
19,436 battles

i went with Shikishima.

Yes, it only has 6 guns, but so does the Gneisanau and the Georgia and you don't hear too many complaints about them. (I'm averaging a 37% hit rate with the main guns in Shikishima)

I enjoy my Yamato and have enjoyed the Shikishima.

I dont really enjoy the French line.

FDR came out after the fact, but as a CV you are either good or take the blame.

Austin and Plymouth also came out after I got Shikishima, but I do not regret the choice one bit.

I will say I enjoyed the Grand Battles in Shikishima as people ignored me for the 'super' battleships and I made them pay for that. :)

Members
808 posts

If you prefer cruisers I'd go with Stalingrad. It's still a sold ship. If you like BBs my choice is Bourg because I like the French BBs at high tiers. It's a JB with an extra set of guns at the back which allows you to turn around while still defending. Shika in my opinion is overrated. I play Yamato front facing mst of the time and UU. That gives me 6 forward accurate guns. Shika only has 4 and that can make all the difference in the world.  

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
36,867 posts
29,943 battles
3 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Bourg, eh maybe. It's a great ship for Randoms. But the lack of overmatch and bad plating makes it iffy in competitive.

My buddy that has BG liked to say that dealing damage with her wasn't the problem.  It's staying alive being the issue.  Tier IX BB HP pool and 32mm hull is why.