You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shomaruki

I pictured Sub vs Sub Battle in my head...

29 comments in this topic

Members
731 posts
997 battles

Think of it, I'm the last ship on my team, they have a sub on their team. 

We are now playing a game which I hope everyone in the WG will adopt known as Ping Pong.

I ping him, he pings me, back and forth and it's Ping Pong. I move away so I don't get locked on, he moves away so he doesn't get locked on. We go back and forth and now it's a Mexican Stand off. Like seriously how the hell does that play out? :)  

[USCC]
Members
3,869 posts
18,294 battles

I guess it's a stalemate, and whoever is ahead on points wins! lol 

Members
731 posts
997 battles
12 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

I guess it's a stalemate, and whoever is ahead on points wins! lol 

But I'm shocked WG didn't think of this, because many people will have their ships locked out for a good minute. 

[BEA5T]
Members
6,550 posts
33,191 battles

Gosh, you had to bring this up.......  And now, it's all I can think about....  Like a song you hear and hum all day long.  :Smile_facepalm:

And, I wonder if our host thought that scenario through?  Have any of the PTS players experienced this?  What happens when two CV's are left?  I've never seen that either (and, I haven't played Randoms in years....)

Members
731 posts
997 battles
Just now, Asym_KS said:

Gosh, you had to bring this up.......  And now, it's all I can think about....  Like a song you hear and hum all day long.  :Smile_facepalm:

And, I wonder if our host thought that scenario through?  Have any of the PTS players experienced this?  What happens when two CV's are left?  I've never seen that either (and, I haven't played Randoms in years....)

With two CVs it's not as harsh, they got planes and hell even secondary's if they want to go charging at one another

[USCC]
Members
3,869 posts
18,294 battles

You can always go for a ram! :Smile_veryhappy:... wait can you mount signals on subs? like a ram signal? ... 

[BEA5T]
Members
6,550 posts
33,191 battles
5 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

You can always go for a ram! :Smile_veryhappy:... wait can you mount signals on subs? like a ram signal? ... 

Better question for someone to answer:  does radar pick up periscopes?

[BEA5T]
Members
610 posts
23,058 battles
20 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

Yes you can ram  in the PTS server I was able to sink several subs by ramming.   ( you will survive ONLY if you are on the surface).     You can put all kinds of flags on the subs and yes RAM flags will work. 

A.  I could not hit the periscope with gun fire....  tried and tried and tried to no avail. 

B.  With Subs you can ONLY capture a ZONE by surfacing....  

C. Be prepared to surface in the MIDDLE of a battle zone as you will RUN OUT of battery no matter how hard you try not too.     Also given the Battle time constraints  I was NEVER able to energize my batteries on the SURFACE to anywhere near what I started with...  ( 5-7 mins) 

D. Being the LAST HUMAN in a SUB sucks royally when you ARE BEHIND the bots in points and need to capture.     They are Too SLOW so going from one zone to another is virtually impossible.      I was never in a battle which it came down to sub versus sub....  but also every battle which the BOT won was always they were in the LEAD in points.    

Edited by Noworriesderpy1

[SALVO]
Members
14,491 posts
9,270 battles

I do wonder if you have ever been in that situation... Because I have.

It isn't as clear cut as a ping pong game, first is the spotting issue, the whole "locate your enemy" part that it isn't really easy for 2 subs. The normal thing here is to play the cap game and you never get to face the other guy. Quite boring but that's the way it is. 

If you meet, it boils down to who happens to be in the more favourable position. Subs play very similar to planes in that aspect, your firing angles are very limited, you need to line up your bow to the enemy, whoever lines up first has the upper hand. Then is just procedural, you either get into a chicken game head on with the enemy, or manage to disengage, go dark and run away (depending on the boat you are playing, it was in these situations the US had all the best cards). 

Usually there's no ping pong, either you never meet or it you meet someone dies fast, usually the germans.

[SALVO]
Members
14,491 posts
9,270 battles
23 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Better question for someone to answer:  does radar pick up periscopes?

Yes, for all practical purposes you are surfaced, it only changes detection values in exchange of battery

[BEA5T]
Members
610 posts
23,058 battles
1 minute ago, ArIskandir said:

Yes, for all practical purposes you are surfaced, it only changes detection values in exchange of battery

Yup and that is where you can ram a sub  ( for any surface ship including subs)

Members
71 posts
5,777 battles

Think that’s bad, just wait until you perform phenomenally in a BB, only to be the last alive and have to deal with the underwater hand of god sending homing torps at you until you die.

[SALVO]
Members
14,491 posts
9,270 battles
6 minutes ago, playniceinmyyard said:

Think that’s bad, just wait until you perform phenomenally in a BB, only to be the last alive and have to deal with the underwater hand of god sending homing torps at you until you die.

How is it worse than being in the same situation with a DD? 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
15,327 posts
21,988 battles
1 hour ago, Shomaruki said:

Think of it, I'm the last ship on my team, they have a sub on their team. 

We are now playing a game which I hope everyone in the WG will adopt known as Ping Pong.

I ping him, he pings me, back and forth and it's Ping Pong. I move away so I don't get locked on, he moves away so he doesn't get locked on. We go back and forth and now it's a Mexican Stand off. Like seriously how the hell does that play out? :)  

Where are the points at? Are you ahead or behind? What is the cap situation? etc..... think about it.

[BEA5T]
Members
610 posts
23,058 battles
3 minutes ago, playniceinmyyard said:

I had forgotten to mention in my previous replies...   I felt the torpedoes are on PAR with those of from the CVs.  (which they are averaged around 5K per torpedo).   Thinking from my point of view after finally getting around to where I was actually able hit a target  seeing how anemic they were the effort was disheartening.   

Like CVs sometimes it felt like what you are able to do is to give "Death by a thousand paper cuts." 

Members
808 posts

Two subs against each other sounds exciting, especially if you grew up watching naval war flicks but in reality it's the exact opposite in WOWS. On the PTS it became monotonous. Even when you could see the other sub and ping it your torps would fly right by it because it's too far to lock on.   Try to shoot torps without pinging and the torps g left and right not straight as you would assume, perhaps from being too close. Try to attack from more distance and the other sub disappears.   

Sub verses sub would be so much fun if they made some serious adjustments for underwater

Members
731 posts
997 battles

This is where I figured they would make a sudden death mode where the map would decrease in size over a set amount of time. Force Captains to fight closer

Members
71 posts
5,777 battles
20 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Well, in my DDs I had really no problem fighting a sub, was actually rather easy. However, in almost all of my BBs subs pretty much determined if I live or die, which was always the latter.

Members
71 posts
5,777 battles
14 minutes ago, Noworriesderpy1 said:

I had forgotten to mention in my previous replies...   I felt the torpedoes are on PAR with those of from the CVs.  (which they are averaged around 5K per torpedo).   Thinking from my point of view after finally getting around to where I was actually able hit a target  seeing how anemic they were the effort was disheartening.   

Like CVs sometimes it felt like what you are able to do is to give "Death by a thousand paper cuts." 

See, by the time the “death by 1k cuts” comes to play, I’ve been chunked usually around 70-90% of my overall health to make impactful plays (depending on ship), so it’s more of a mop up for the subs than anything else. 

however in the current situation, I’ve received the thousand paper cuts by the kaga, but then slapped for 20k each drop by the MVR, so it’s a rough time overall to be a BB main Rn.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,721 posts
15,210 battles

Worse than sub vs sub would be any ship that does not have ASW against a sub and the only way for the ship to win is to kill the sub.

[HODL]
Members
144 posts
6,350 battles
57 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

it isn't, in fact its the exact same situation; only difference is most bbs will be able to outrun subs (well maybe not t6 bbs) 

Edited by Azanimefan

[SALVO]
Members
14,491 posts
9,270 battles
23 minutes ago, playniceinmyyard said:

Well, in my DDs I had really no problem fighting a sub, was actually rather easy. However, in almost all of my BBs subs pretty much determined if I live or die, which was always the latter.

:Smile_facepalm:... How is it different being last BB standing against a Sub or against a DD? In both cases the BB is severely disadvantaged, last BB against a DD is a possible situation in the game since inception... the game has survived. Last BB against a Sub is not a new situation, the game continuously place players in tough spots, that's THE game.  

[SALVO]
Members
14,491 posts
9,270 battles
Just now, Azanimefan said:

it isn't, in fact its the exact same situation

Exactly