You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AngelKyd

From a New players perspective

10 comments in this topic

[TGUYS]
Members
1 post
2,222 battles

I have been playing for about 3 weeks now. One thing I find a turn off is the Bot Behavior in co-op. I find that sometimes, several bots home in on someone. It does not matter where you are, whether you are detected or not, they just chose you and home in on you. When you are in a lower level ship without much at your disposal, some cruisers just home in, rush at you, angled, nothing you can do to them then they torp you and kill you. This type of "You have been chosen to just be ejected from the game" behavior is very dejecting and quite honestly a huge turn off. Yes, they are only bots, yes many many times they are easy to farm. But this behavior on their part exists and as a new player, it is very dejecting and just makes me want to shut the game off. If the AI is just going to determine i'm not allowed to play and single me out and kill me with almost NOTHING i can do, then why play?

My Suggestion: Disable this "singling someone out" AI. Further more, disable the "All seeing eye" that they AI has. They always know where you are, and make practicing being stealthy as a new player very difficult. 

Edited by AngelKyd
  • Cool 1

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
821 posts

I think bots pretty much home in on caps and the closest targets.  Try playing a little further back and you'll see better results.

[PVE]
Members
11,201 posts
19,830 battles

Let the bots single some one else out before you are spotted or fire your guns. In tier 10 BBs I fire at the first ships possible, if you hold back you are just wasting HP's. Play the Derzki, pop smoke, let things get closer and then just charge and torp everything. Very fun.

image.thumb.png.ec0d0aac804d12f25b8a0bee1a58eeb8.png

You can keep an eye on your stats here. https://na.wows-numbers.com/

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[CYN1C]
[CYN1C]
Members
346 posts
6,730 battles

There seems to be certain things bots look out for. They love targeting destroyers or wounded ships, and they love charging smoke screens. 

Look for patterns. Once you see them, reading bots becomes easier. These bots aren't particularly complex and they don't have any all-seeing eye. They do have inhuman reflexes, though. 

[WPORT]
Members
11,633 posts
15,954 battles
1 hour ago, AngelKyd said:

I have been playing for about 3 weeks now. One thing I find a turn off is the Bot Behavior in co-op. I find that sometimes, several bots home in on someone. It does not matter where you are, whether you are detected or not, they just chose you and home in on you. When you are in a lower level ship without much at your disposal, some cruisers just home in, rush at you, angled, nothing you can do to them then they torp you and kill you. This type of "You have been chosen to just be ejected from the game" behavior is very dejecting and quite honestly a huge turn off. Yes, they are only bots, yes many many times they are easy to farm. But this behavior on their part exists and as a new player, it is very dejecting and just makes me want to shut the game off. If the AI is just going to determine i'm not allowed to play and single me out and kill me with almost NOTHING i can do, then why play?

My Suggestion: Disable this "singling someone out" AI. Further more, disable the "All seeing eye" that they AI has. They always know where you are, and make practicing being stealthy as a new player very difficult. 

Welcome to the game, and to the forums.  :Smile_Default:

Other have provided you some good advice and tidbits of wisdom, already.

I'm not sure which ship type you were playing.  

Bots don't lack for courage.  They charge towards objectives (such as Capture Areas) and fire at available targets.
Bots occasionally emulate human behaviors, such as running aground.
Bots seem to be programmed to prioritize a damaged ship.  If you're low on HP, then hopefully you can duck behind an island (or a friendly ship? or even a sinking hull?) long enough to fix your ship and rejoin the action.
Bots used to be programmed to target the nearest opponent, but they've undergone some changes and will make some interesting decisions, such as targeting the broadside of a ship that is on the far side of a map.

If you're trying to torpedo a 'Bot, then you have to remain undetected AND anticipate their movements if you choose to launch torpedoes from a distance.
Often, I prefer to "joust" and deliver torpedoes at point-blank range to a ship's broadside.  The chances of scoring a hit improve dramatically, because they don't physically have enough time to dodge.
The risk, of course, is the exposure to incoming ordnance of all kinds.
Setting-up an attack, especially an alpha-strike attack, is an important skill for a player to learn.

Co-op games are a shark-week feeding frenzy to score damage and sink ships as quickly as possible.
It is useful to know how to sink a ship quickly.

Random battle games are very different, by comparison.  
Players tend to retreat (kiting away, they call it, eh?) at the first scratch on their paint and games last a while as players shoot and make feints and try to whittle each other's hulls into scrap.

While I am using some stereotyping to illustrate the game modes' differences, each battle type offers lessons to be learned.
Good players will learn from those lessons and develop their ability to not only function, but eventually thrive in every available game mode.

Your journey is beginning.  There's a lot of food for thought on your plate.  "Don't give up the ship!"

Hope to see you on the virtual seas.  :Smile_Default:

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,236 posts
4,363 battles

Bots target the closest low HP ship to them. So in a coop game you DO NOT want to be the first thing they see, they will all come after you. Let a couple of your bots go in first, the red bots will start shooting them and then you can engage while they're ramming each other in the middle. It's not a focus on person AI, they all have the same priorities, and if you're the optimal ship they're all coming for you. Basically don't put yourself in a position so that all of them have you as the best target.

And I've got news for you, human players also do the focus one guy thing, even more so than bots. So if you're playing in a way that the bots always focus you you're going to die even faster in PVP.

37 minutes ago, 40902nd said:

Look for patterns. Once you see them, reading bots becomes easier. These bots aren't particularly complex and they don't have any all-seeing eye. They do have inhuman reflexes, though. 

They do have an all-seeing eye, I'm fairly sure they have some in-built code that points them in the rough right direction even if the closest ship is unspotted. And they have wicked good reflexes and PT too. The bots absolutely cheat, that's WG's way of putting them on par with human players. And while they're not the most complex things (there are definitely patterns you can predict) the highest level bots WG has (which are not the usual coop bots) are very good, especially against a new player.

Members
1,701 posts
2,065 battles
2 hours ago, AngelKyd said:

Further more, disable the "All seeing eye" that they AI has.

This is impossible. They are a part of the server, therefore they have all of the match data. They're(usually)programmed to sail towards the nearest ship.

Treat all bots as if they have the following skills, even if player ships can't equip them:

• preventative maintenance
  • fire prevention
  • RPF antenna
  • vigilance

[PUMA]
Members
1,238 posts
11,268 battles
2 hours ago, AngelKyd said:

I have been playing for about 3 weeks now. One thing I find a turn off is the Bot Behavior in co-op. I find that sometimes, several bots home in on someone. It does not matter where you are, whether you are detected or not, they just chose you and home in on you....

This can be used to hep the 'team' !

Lets say my side is behind and I am pretty shot up with no chance of mounting any kind of valuable attack. I'll then try to lure the reds to chase me going away from the caps so my team has a safer environment trying to re-cap and turn the game.

You do not earn much and rarely even get a thank you for this play. As for me it gives me satisfaction and a big grin. Sometimes that's better than a load of FXP :-)

P.S.  1147 Battles in 3 weeks. You have been a busy boy :-)

Edited by freggo
content correction

[VORTX]
Members
714 posts
9,102 battles

Bots cheat, usually in frustrating ways. In the current patch it seems the bots can no longer shoot straight, every patch they seem to tweak something; often times for the worse. They can dodge torps on a unicum level. Bots 100% home in on the lowest HP out there wether you are visible or not. Just try and dodge a bot aircraft looking for. Not that you’ll actually get hit, but you will be found. As others have mentioned, it’s helpful to avoid firing until you are spotted. Kiting in a cruiser or DD is very effective too, however in the current patch the bots are so inaccurate there isn’t a need. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,890 posts
24,769 battles
4 hours ago, AngelKyd said:

I recently went down to tier 1 to find out which ship was good.

Lessons I learned that apply to all tiers.

1. Battleships should support cruisers. Very few are ment to snipe at max range.

2. Destroyers are more valuable at mid to late game than getting a quick cap.

3. Cruisers, sit near max range, in cover whenever possible. 

4. Target selection is key. If you can save a green, save him. If you can steal a kill, get their guns off the board.

Map awareness will help you as you preserve your hp for the long fight.

I ended up in a 3 human v 3 human Tier 1 match. It was my 8th battle of the day.

I got 9 kills, solo warrior,  high caliber and Confederate. 

The bots chose a target that's spotted and try to sink their teeth into it...