You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
PoggyBaitUSMC

match making

16 comments in this topic

[IGHHF]
[IGHHF]
Members
1 post
2,516 battles

how can you have a fair play battle with 5 DD's at tier 8 and above throwing enough torps in the water that you could walk from 1 end of map to other without getting wet? just truly stupid MM

• Haha 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 2

[WORX]
Members
14,359 posts
20,908 battles
2 minutes ago, PoggyBaitUSMC said:

how can you have a fair play battle with 5 DD's at tier 8 and above throwing enough torps in the water that you could walk from 1 end of map to other without getting wet? just truly stupid MM

With a %5 torp hit rate and a 2 min reload time, I dont think torps are the main issue to MM...

Remember kids, its not MM... Its the ships waiting in queue for MM to group then to 2 different fleets...

• Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,763 posts
6,907 battles
7 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

With a %5 torp hit rate and a 2 min reload time, I dont think torps are the main issue to MM...

Ah, the old lying with statistics method of downplaying things....

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

[WORX]
Members
14,359 posts
20,908 battles
Just now, Helstrem said:

Ah, the old lying with statistics method of downplaying things....

Do you have any statistics stating torps at tier 8 are getting more then a %5-%7 torp hit ? %5 is fleet wide meaning everyone can do it with minimal effort...

Since we dont know nothing about the match in question without going in to the realm of speculation.. I dont think torps were mopping up everyone..

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,763 posts
6,907 battles
13 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Do you have any statistics stating torps at tier 8 are getting more then a %5-%7 torp hit ? %5 is fleet wide meaning everyone can do it with minimal effort...

Since we dont know nothing about the match in question without going in to the realm of speculation.. I dont think torps were mopping up everyone..

That's not what "lying with statistics" means.  It means using real statistics to mislead.

In this case you put forth the 5% number, which is approximately correct, to portray torpedoes as ineffective, after all 5% is so much lower than 25-30% for shells, right?

Yeah, sure, but why is it so much lower?  Could it be that the way torpedoes are used and how hits are calculated plays a significant role in why torpedo hit rates are so much lower or is it just that torpedoes are underpowered, crappy weapons in need of massive buffs?  Without providing context the tone of your post strongly suggests the latter when in reality it is the former.  Torpedoes are fired as area denial weapons, fired at common routes of travel without even a hint that an enemy ship might be there to get hit, blind fired into smoke clouds in a manner to cover as much of the cloud as possible and, due to high alpha damage, more often overkill a target with only the first hit or three counting as hits and every torpedo that hits the sinking hulk counting as a miss.

Torpedoes are fine the way they are.

Edited by Helstrem

[SALVO]
Members
9,502 posts
6,975 battles

If live give you lemmons, make lemmonade...

Drop in something that murders DDs, there are many CLs for you to pick one... Or go SAP, and become real terror

[WORX]
Members
14,359 posts
20,908 battles
1 minute ago, Helstrem said:

That's not what "lying with statistics" means.  It means using real statistics to mislead.

In this case you put forth the 5% number, which is approximately correct, to portray torpedoes as ineffective, after all 5% is so much lower than 25-30% for shells, right?

Yeah, sure, but why is it so much lower?  Could it be that the way torpedoes are used and how hits are calculated plays a significant role in why torpedo hit rates are so much lower or is it just that torpedoes are underpowered, crappy weapons in need of massive buffs?  Without providing context the tone of your post strongly suggests the latter when in reality it is the former.  Torpedoes are fired as area denial weapons, fired at common routes of travel without even a hint that an enemy ship might be there to get hit, blind fired into smoke clouds in a manner to cover as much of the cloud as possible and, due to high alpha damage, more often overkill a target with only the first hit or three counting as hits and every torpedo that hits the sinking hulk counting as a miss.

Torpedoes are fine the way they are.

Area denial torps are even less prone to hit a ship... In context its not misleading to say what was stated in my first post... You're using torps for

• Area denial
    • OR
  • Targeting ships (Hard to do in high tier matches)

You still will be about less the %5 for area denial torps to %7 targeting ships... This percentage drops every time your torp salvo dont hit anything. I calculated for a 15 min match, you'll have 5 to 7 chances to hit something... Miss a salvo or two, there's no way you're getting a good torp hit %. (Miss a few guns salvos and your % is still respectable). 

Its no secret WG didn't want high tiers to be torp dominated... That is why, I  give much opposition to the OP's claims.

Members
4,272 posts
15,135 battles
3 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Area denial torps are even less prone to hit a ship... In context its not misleading to say what was stated in my first post... You're using torps for

• Area denial
    • OR
  • Targeting ships (Hard to do in high tier matches)

You still will be about less the %5 for area denial torps to %7 targeting ships... This percentage drops every time your torp salvo dont hit anything. I calculated for a 15 min match, you'll have 5 to 7 chances to hit something... Miss a salvo or two, there's no way you're getting a good torp hit %. (Miss a few guns salvos and your % is still respectable). 

Its no secret WG didn't want high tiers to be torp dominated... That is why, I  give much opposition to the OP's claims.

Coop is different though. Human player torp hit percentages are much higher in that mode. I dont know about bots though.

OP is talking about the coop environment.

Edited by Rollingonit

Members
1,781 posts
2 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

Is this so? I can't see coop mentioned anywhere.

51 minutes ago, PoggyBaitUSMC said:

Simply by the fact that your team also has enough DDs to do the same to the reds.

[WORX]
Members
14,359 posts
20,908 battles
3 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

I'll take my leave... The OP didn't specify.

Members
4,272 posts
15,135 battles
3 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

Is this so? I can't see coop mentioned anywhere.

Unless he's posting on an alt account, his stats are public. He doesnt play much if any of pvp (on this account). Maybe stats are slow to update.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles

Five DD's is the hard limit with four as the soft limit. There must have been a lot of DD's in range in the queue.

Members
1,781 posts
6 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

Unless he's posting on an alt account, his stats are public. He doesnt play much if any of pvp (on this account). Maybe stats are slow to update.

Apologies for not stalking other peoples accounts before replying and taking their posts at face value, my bad.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,929 posts
31,870 battles

In the co-op environment you just need to be hyper-aggressive if you have 5 human DD players.  You can do well in 5 DD games, yes a lot of them do suck.  If you can outplay the DD that is in front of you, you'll do fine.

Members
4,272 posts
15,135 battles
1 minute ago, shinytrashcan said:

Apologies for not stalking other peoples accounts before replying and taking their posts at face value, my bad.

I just verify things outta habit. Im not about to storm the capitol building cause some random person on the internet said it is a good idea.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,206 posts
20,495 battles

Since the rocket attack plane nerf. It seems there are more DD’s in Random mode now.