Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Yesman1337

O-Class Battlecruiser? (Battlecruiser Tech Tree)

16 comments in this topic

[EQV]
Members
262 posts
1,704 battles

Why is it not the tier X ship for the new German Battlecruiser line I am very confused. I feel that it is literally where it should be as it was the pinnacle of their Battlecruiser design and that way the Germans aren't using paper ships from the 1910's. (They using them from the 1930's or so) In all seriousness though why is the O-Class not the tier X ship though. It has everything they advertised the line would have and is more real (Sort of) than any of the other top tier ones (At least that I can find). Strong secondary armaments consisting of 3 duel 150mm guns and 4 duel 105mm mounts. Slap some range range torpedo's into its tubes and call it a day. Why did they (And where did they) come up with that funky looking tier VIII and strange tier X.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
9,558 posts
7,008 battles

I agree an O-class would be a perfect fit for tier xXx but it would ruin the PG rating of the game...

• Meh 1

[KWF]
Members
6,732 posts
7,321 battles

WG decided that Siegfried which is basically an O-class BC was more fitting of a premium status.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
8,319 posts
6,961 battles

Perhaps it's because the O-class battlecruiser is already in the game?

Siegfried_wows_main.thumb.jpg.9eee07e598a3a120ee74fa3c88ec16de.jpg

Here's the description of the ship that I pulled from her WoWs Wiki article, which I assume is same as her in-game description:

A super-heavy Type "O" cruiser designed to operate in powerful raider formations. At the time the ship was designed, it was fast enough to escape from any battleship, while its armor protection and armament were strong enough to annihilate any cruiser.

Yeah, I know, Siegfried is tagged under the "cruiser" line in the game... but AFAIK, back when she first came out, WG didn't have any plan for any separate battlecruiser tree or anything... lol. :Smile_hiding:

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,343 posts
14,304 battles

Perhaps another O class variant will be available through a dockyard or other resource means. It’s not uncommon for WG to try to get a premium ship out with the new line in some way shape or form.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,781 posts
6,935 battles
31 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

Why is it not the tier X ship for the new German Battlecruiser line I am very confused. I feel that it is literally where it should be as it was the pinnacle of their Battlecruiser design and that way the Germans aren't using paper ships from the 1910's. (They using them from the 1930's or so) In all seriousness though why is the O-Class not the tier X ship though. It has everything they advertised the line would have and is more real (Sort of) than any of the other top tier ones (At least that I can find). Strong secondary armaments consisting of 3 duel 150mm guns and 4 duel 105mm mounts. Slap some range range torpedo's into its tubes and call it a day. Why did they (And where did they) come up with that funky looking tier VIII and strange tier X.

How would a BB with six 381mm guns be balanced to match up against Kremlin, Yamato, Thunderer, Montana and so on?

[WOLFC]
Members
3,421 posts
12,122 battles

This boils down to the question of what is a “battlecruiser” vs “large cruiser” (super cruiser, or whatever you want to call it), and the difference between the WWI-era capital ships that are known unanimously as battlecruisers and the 1930s-1940s era ships that are generally not considered true capital ships and referred to as battlecruisers by some (and large cruiser, super cruiser, etc by others). Regardless of if you call the newer ships CCs or CBs, the two categories of ships have some major differences.

In WoWs, the WWI-era capital ships are considered battleships, while the other category of ships are considered cruisers. You can argue that Siegfried (an O-class) straddles the line more than any of her contemporaries, but WG chose to place her in the latter category.

Edited by Nevermore135

[NMKJT]
Members
3,400 posts
8,592 battles
2 hours ago, Yesman1337 said:

Have mercy on that design, it doesn't belong in equivalency to something like Yamato or GK or whatever. It's fine as it is at T9 in the form of Agir and Siegfried.

[BB-C4]
Beta Testers
142 posts
11,330 battles

Most likely there will be a super cruiser sub branch for the Germans involving the Deutschland class, d, p and o class at some point(and a tier X fantasy super cruiser, like a 3x3 38cm equipped ship).

[EQV]
Members
262 posts
1,704 battles
3 hours ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Perhaps it's because the O-class battlecruiser is already in the game?

Siegfried_wows_main.thumb.jpg.9eee07e598a3a120ee74fa3c88ec16de.jpg

Here's the description of the ship that I pulled from her WoWs Wiki article, which I assume is same as her in-game description:

Yeah, I know, Siegfried is tagged under the "cruiser" line in the game... but AFAIK, back when she first came out, WG didn't have any plan for any separate battlecruiser tree or anything... lol. :Smile_hiding:

It's close but not actually one. It has the wrong secondary armament and and torpedo set up. With another few smaller inaccuracy's. 

[EQV]
Members
262 posts
1,704 battles
3 hours ago, Helstrem said:

How would a BB with six 381mm guns be balanced to match up against Kremlin, Yamato, Thunderer, Montana and so on?

It won't as it's not a frontline BB it's Battlecruiser not a Battleship you can't compare the two. Plus it not like it defenseless the guns would hurt and the secondary's could do some real work not to mention the torpedo's. It has better mobility while still maintaining decent armor. Throw on Hydro and the special Damage Control it gets and I feel it would work great. It would be more of an off tank flanking and dealing cruisers mostly while still maintaining some dueling power vs other BB's.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
8,319 posts
6,961 battles
21 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

It's close but not actually one. It has the wrong secondary armament and and torpedo set up. With another few smaller inaccuracy's. 

Yeah, but it looks to me like this is what WeeGee has settled on. You can take it or leave it. All up to you, lol. :Smile_smile:

[EQV]
Members
262 posts
1,704 battles
1 hour ago, MnemonScarlet said:

Have mercy on that design, it doesn't belong in equivalency to something like Yamato or GK or whatever. It's fine as it is at T9 in the form of Agir and Siegfried.

Because the Zao is absolute winner at the tier right.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,400 posts
8,592 battles
51 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

Because the Zao is absolute winner at the tier right.

It's not in a battleship slot. Battlecruiser O-class would be 'equivalent to a battleship' for MM. Except it can't stand up to the real BBs in a fight. I have an Agir, and that O-class hull gets absolutely destroyed by most BBs when you try to manfight them with it. The couple minor things WG messed up from the original plans and the 32mm bow wouldn't save it.

Edited by MnemonScarlet

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,781 posts
6,935 battles
58 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

It won't as it's not a frontline BB it's Battlecruiser not a Battleship you can't compare the two. Plus it not like it defenseless the guns would hurt and the secondary's could do some real work not to mention the torpedo's. It has better mobility while still maintaining decent armor. Throw on Hydro and the special Damage Control it gets and I feel it would work great. It would be more of an off tank flanking and dealing cruisers mostly while still maintaining some dueling power vs other BB's.

“It’s not a frontline BB” and “the secondaries could do some real work not to mention the torpedoes” are incompatible statements.

It could not stand up to a Yamato is a stand off fight, nor a short ranged fight for that matter.  It could not take a GK in a close range fight, nor in a stand off fight.  These are the ships, and others like them, that MM would place it against.  You can’t hand wave that away by saying it is a battlecruiser.

[EQV]
Members
262 posts
1,704 battles
29 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

“It’s not a frontline BB” and “the secondaries could do some real work not to mention the torpedoes” are incompatible statements.

It could not stand up to a Yamato is a stand off fight, nor a short ranged fight for that matter.  It could not take a GK in a close range fight, nor in a stand off fight.  These are the ships, and others like them, that MM would place it against.  You can’t hand wave that away by saying it is a battlecruiser.

To be fair it doesn't seem like the current ones could either which is why I would like to see a separate BC skill tree and class as they don't perform as a BB either. They are BC's and have their own roles and shouldn't be forced into a separate one in which they don't really fit.  

• Boring 1

Sign in to follow this