You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Anvil_Of_Victory

Patch Symbols

33 comments in this topic

[BDSQ]
Members
7 posts

I wish WOW would let us have custom patch symbols. Many of the ones they make are ridiculous, irrelevant, and silly. They've made a bunny symbol, but not one for a dolphin. Surely their graphic designers can be more creative and design something more relevant to naval combat that I shouldn't have to be a top-tier player to get. 

• Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,251 posts
22,540 battles

Custom patch symbols is just going to open the way to trolls having penises prominently displayed when they sink you.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF1]
Members
1,153 posts
2,229 battles
1 hour ago, Anvil_Of_Victory said:

Many of the ones they make are ridiculous, irrelevant, and silly. 

Well there’s decent patches for showing ones experiance, such as patches for 1-3 years of playing. There also patches like mine that I got from Ranked battles (not sure when I got it, but it was a long time ago, I think the season when Ranked was at T7 when it usually was at t8-10)

Edited by Boomer625

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,133 posts
13,592 battles

They added custom patches with a contest. I don't see why they can't have another.

image.thumb.png.f643b8f0e971d4eec3ac854c4ab5bd1d.png

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,620 posts
4,774 battles
37 minutes ago, Lert said:

Custom patch symbols is just going to open the way to trolls having penises prominently displayed when they sink you.

"Those aren't hairy balls.  That's a porcupine fish.  Don't blame me for your filthy mind."

[BTLST]
Members
356 posts
8,218 battles
1 hour ago, Anvil_Of_Victory said:

I wish WOW would let us have custom patch symbols. Many of the ones they make are ridiculous, irrelevant, and silly. They've made a bunny symbol, but not one for a dolphin. Surely their graphic designers can be more creative and design something more relevant to naval combat that I shouldn't have to be a top-tier player to get. 

Maybe we could put some suggestions here for new patch symbols. Here's mine:

• An "armed to the teeth" potato that fletches its teeth, has an ammo shoulder belt and a machine gun or similar weapon. :cap_rambo:

I'd even pay a bit of coal for that one.

Edited by tangofan

[CNO]
Members
6,797 posts
20,424 battles
18 hours ago, tangofan said:

Maybe we could put some suggestions here for new patch symbols. Here's mine:

• An "armed to the teeth" potato that fletches its teeth, has an ammo shoulder belt and a machine gun or similar weapon. :cap_rambo:

I'd even pay a bit of coal for that one.

They could call it the Redskin Warrior...and display it on a football helmet.

:cap_haloween:

[BTLST]
Members
356 posts
8,218 battles
3 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

They could call it the Redskin Warrior...and display it on a football helmet.

:cap_haloween:

I am assuming you're hinting at something that already exists, but - not growing up in the U.S. and also not being interested in football - I'm at a loss as to what that might be. :cap_hmm:

7,133 posts
13,592 battles
15 minutes ago, tangofan said:

I am assuming you're hinting at something that already exists, but - not growing up in the U.S. and also not being interested in football - I'm at a loss as to what that might be. :cap_hmm:

The Washington Football Team used to be called the Washington Redskins.

[NYAAR]
Members
2,998 posts
15,966 battles
23 hours ago, Anvil_Of_Victory said:

Do you want trolls? because this is how you get trolls - Archer Birthday  Boy | Meme Generator

• Funny 1

[MEIST]
Members
1,604 posts
6,634 battles
28 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Do you want trolls? because this is how you get trolls - Archer Birthday  Boy | Meme Generator

:Smile_teethhappy: Pretty much! I remember many years ago on COD seeing all sorts of crazy stuff when came to the emblems you could customize. My friend got banned a few times because of the reports on the stuff he did.

7,133 posts
13,592 battles

As long as it's vetted, I don't see a problem. There are 40 user-made patches in game already, and none of them were inappropriate. Some were silly, yes, but not every patch has to be historically accurate.

[PHU]
Members
383 posts
6,340 battles

I like silly patches. I like historical patches. I like patches in general. We need more patches.

[BDSQ]
Members
7 posts

There always has to be a few smart-asses that comment. Ugh. I agree that as long as they are vetted, there shouldn't be a problem. However, that's probably unrealistic to expect. I would just like to see a greater variety of symbols that are not soo stupid (like bunnies and flying squirrels) and more relevant to naval combat. And I don't want to have to be a top-tier player to earn something that looks respectable. 

Members
305 posts
1,531 battles
On 7/23/2021 at 3:56 PM, Chozo_Elder said:

We need more patches.

1773774.jpg.5d2369f3557f385dca40df2ffefb6ab8.jpg

[WKY19]
Beta Testers
2,354 posts
15,488 battles
On 7/22/2021 at 1:53 PM, Lert said:

Penises and Swastikas. Or boobs. God I'm having flashbacks to Battlefield 1 now.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,251 posts
22,540 battles
On 7/23/2021 at 7:15 PM, Compassghost said:

As long as it's vetted, I don't see a problem.

The problem with having symbols vetted is that you need to employ and pay people to do the vetting. If you open symbol designing to the entire playerbase, you're going to have thousands of symbols submitted per server, per day, at least at first. If you run a contest at least you know it's only a short term thing, but if you open symbol design long term, well, you can see the problems.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WMD]
Members
1,967 posts
11,267 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

The problem with having symbols vetted is that you need to employ and pay people to do the vetting. If you open symbol designing to the entire playerbase, you're going to have thousands of symbols submitted per server, per day, at least at first. If you run a contest at least you know it's only a short term thing, but if you open symbol design long term, well, you can see the problems.

The other part of vetting, is the people vetting would need to be aware of the cultural meaning of symbols across multiple cultures around the world. What is seen as a silly nothing by an English speaking North American, could be deeply offensive elsewhere. It opens WG up to far too much needless hassle. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,251 posts
22,540 battles
1 minute ago, VeatherVitch said:

The other part of vetting, is the people vetting would need to be aware of the cultural meaning of symbols across multiple cultures around the world. What is seen as a silly nothing by an English speaking North American, could be deeply offensive elsewhere. It opens WG up to far too much needless hassle. 

Very good point. For example, you wouldn't want to run an '88' flag in Germany, but would many Americans understand why?

Edited by Lert
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
4,272 posts
15,135 battles
On 7/22/2021 at 12:53 PM, Lert said:

Surprisingly, when COD (call of duty) added somewhat customizable patchs/tags, I saw very few penises; actually never saw 1.

But yah it could happen.

edit: My custom patch was Admiral Ackbar.

Edited by Rollingonit

7,133 posts
13,592 battles
4 hours ago, Lert said:

NavyField solved this by making each submission cost monies. Or make it a contest. I can make Quacken 2 :etc_red_button:

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,411 posts
13,102 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

Very good point. For example, you wouldn't want to run an '88' flag in Germany, but would many Americans understand why?

To the contrary unless they live under a rock, every American learned about neo-nazi symbolism in highschool. It's also well known and offensive to certain minorities here.

[4_0_4]
Members
314 posts
1,926 battles
42 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

To the contrary unless they live under a rock, every American learned about neo-nazi symbolism in highschool. It's also well known and offensive to certain minorities here.

Gonna have to disagree here.  There are plenty of high schools in the US that teach nothing about Neo Nazi imagery beyond swastikas.  Mine included, and I didn’t go to high school all THAT long ago. (Also stop making me feel old).  At any rate, while I’m aware of the significance of the 88mm cannon, I would never have associated the number with Neo Nazis.