You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Gellurt_T

How do you use the Riga?

11 comments in this topic

Members
92 posts
3,437 battles

How the hell does one use this turd? AP is higly situational and with the god awfull accuracy even at ranges where the accuracy is "supposed" to be good, good luck scoring citadels on cruisers(Beyond 14km your accuracy is basically BB tier, accuracy in general with the soviet heavy cruisers has been some wonky nonsense), you can HE spam and actually do damage with the HE itself, unlike the floating citadel shell magnet that is the tallin, but unless you score perma fire's good luck against anyting that isn't a DD, a turning circle straight from hell, the awfull gun angles and gun positioning makes kitting a foregone conclusion, and in general it handles like a BB, minus the big gun and big HP pool, and no, getting close to the caps hasn't worked well unless i get behind a really good island from which i can shoot with the flat gun arcs while still being able to hide, all the while being able to pop radar if an enemy DD is contesting the cap, and even then unless the team itself also pulls it's weight not much i can do, it melts under any kind of focused HE spam, which with the aforementioned awfull handling makes for a god awfull experience, is having a good match in this ship entirely reliant on broadsiding muppets? Or do i just need to play like a crippled long range kitting HE spammer until there's not that manny guns around?

I know this sounds like a potato rant, but i genuinely don't know how im supposed to make these soviet heavy cruisers work, had an awfull, AWFULL time in the tallin(51% win rate is a lie, more like 11% with how much i hated it) and i wanna know if the "How you're supposed to play" is just too much of a turn of to continue bothering with the grind to petro

• Boring 1

Members
562 posts
16 minutes ago, Gellurt_T said:

How the hell does one use this turd? AP is higly situational and with the god awfull accuracy even at ranges where the accuracy is "supposed" to be good, good luck scoring citadels on cruisers(Beyond 14km your accuracy is basically BB tier, accuracy in general with the soviet heavy cruisers has been some wonky nonsense), you can HE spam and actually do damage with the HE itself, unlike the floating citadel shell magnet that is the tallin, but unless you score perma fire's good luck against anyting that isn't a DD, a turning circle straight from hell, the awfull gun angles and gun positioning makes kitting a foregone conclusion, and in general it handles like a BB, minus the big gun and big HP pool, and no, getting close to the caps hasn't worked well unless i get behind a really good island from which i can shoot with the flat gun arcs while still being able to hide, all the while being able to pop radar if an enemy DD is contesting the cap, and even then unless the team itself also pulls it's weight not much i can do, it melts under any kind of focused HE spam, which with the aforementioned awfull handling makes for a god awfull experience, is having a good match in this ship entirely reliant on broadsiding muppets? Or do i just need to play like a crippled long range kitting HE spammer until there's not that manny guns around?

I know this sounds like a potato rant, but i genuinely don't know how im supposed to make these soviet heavy cruisers work, had an awfull, AWFULL time in the tallin(51% win rate is a lie, more like 11% with how much i hated it) and i wanna know if the "How you're supposed to play" is just too much of a turn of to continue bothering with the grind to petro

Not a potato rant at all. I had a hell of a hard time with it for a while. So much so that I used free XP to skip to the Petro, which I really like. 

That being said, there are some players who have managed to figure out how to play it fairly well. I've encountered some pretty good Rigas in some battles. Kutos to those who made it work.

I already had Moskva, an excellent T9 cruiser that suites my playstyle better than Riga. 

Edited by CAPT_CORNHOLIO

[WOLFC]
Members
3,407 posts
12,113 battles

I did my entire Riga grind in tier 8-9 ranked a few patches back. Riga is incredibly tanky bow-in, and that is how I played her - anchoring a position next to an island to protect my sides, often holding the weak flank while my team pushed elsewhere. The HE is terrible, but the AP is very good. The short fuse means that you can score damaging hits even on angled targets, IF you know where to aim. Aim high for the superstructure against angled targets and you’ll rack up full pens. At medium range, aim for the upper belts of battleships and you’ll tear away chunks of HP. Any cruiser that shows you broadside is in for a bad time, period.

20 hours ago, Gellurt_T said:

Tallinn is a Hipper, and she plays more like her eldest sister and Shchors than any of the other Soviet CAs (it can be argued that she’s technically a CL, since the Soviets considered 180mm a light cruiser gun). I really enjoy the ship, but I also have a lot of experience playing all the Hippers and find Tallinn extremely comfortable as a result.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1

[X-PN]
Members
2,123 posts
13,645 battles

Simply put the Petro is borderline OP, while the Riga is pretty "balanced."

I had trouble with it too, but it can be supremely tanky in certain situations, just not BB level tanky like Petro is.

Silver ranked is a good place to practice with it, since it is fairly strong in that situation.  I try to stay at mid range and do chip damage at the beginning and preserve HP for later close encounters.  It can def cit BBs when close enough. 

Edited by YouSatInGum

[KSD]
Members
309 posts
10,126 battles

Riga is definitely at her best when you can go bow in, but because it's not a DPM beast you can't really hold a position by yourself in the same way you can with a DM.  I think the trick is to be slow in picking where you want to commit, and then when it looks like you can make a difference, move in.  The Riga isn't a ship that really ever escapes once bow in unless you've got some helpful islands nearby.  I would hate playing this ship on Ocean. 

[-AGW-]
Members
1,084 posts
18,793 battles

Not great, but not terrible. What worked for me somewhat was to go in with the DDs, pop radar as soon as spotted, roast any opposing DD with HE and kite away if I survived the first encounter. AP only if broadsides can be observed.

Members
2,268 posts
30,048 battles

Like many of my cruisers, I spec'd it for fires and accuracy and HE'd through the leveling, switching to AP ONLY if I saw sufficient targets that I had a real chance to black ribbon. Also, again like many of my cruisers, I did a lot of backfield maneuvering, letting the other mad lad CAs rush and allowing the BBs to tank. I saw my mission as never letting off the HE, keeping the opponents that were shooting my team mates rattled with constant incoming accurate fire.

I have good memories of Riga play.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,118 posts

Pick a rock big enough to hide most of the vessal.

Park bow on towards a Circile Objective. Wait a while.

Enemy DD or whoever begins to try to take circle with the usual warnings.

Activate radar. Work on deleting same.

When firemission complete back up a little bit under rock and wait for the next dd. So you dont get deleted by the entire red team in range.

That was then. With the new [edited] Dutch air strikes I expect to be deleted by dutchie when pulling forward and using radar to delete enemy DD. In short, riga and those like her can sit and rot in port. There is no further use for her in the new Meta

Edited by xHeavy

[KIA-C]
Members
3,833 posts
17,022 battles

The only thing Riga has for her is some form of tank ability. As long as you dont broadside, you wont get straight up removed from the game, even against 460mm guns. But she trade that tank ability for pretty much everything that makes a cruiser a cruiser. The DPM is poor, the range is decent but the accuracy is garbage at longer range, the turret traverse sucks, the speed and turning sucks. You get strong AP but that is not Petro AP so you cant citadel BB reliably at Petro's range and well AP without overmatch or improved AP pen angle isnt going to be very reliable. 

The best way to play her I would say is to go on a flank, find broadside and just abuse AP but in the current meta of CV spotting everything and people staying at range, have fun trying to do that. I grinded Riga before German CV was added as well as when she had better concealment. Post nerf this isnt such a big deal but on a meh ship like Riga, it definitely doesnt help

[ARGSY]
Members
773 posts
11,694 battles

Flamu made a pretty good video demonstrating how to use the Riga. It certainly improved my results. The AP is very good if used correctly and at the correct range. Look up his video. 

Members
84 posts

I just got it so I am maybe a dozen games in with it. I also am having a bad time with it but hoping I can get the hang of it.