Ed_the_Baker

CV with cars on deck

23 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
110 posts
3,421 battles

I was watching a live cam of San Diego harbor the other day, a large CV was sailing out of the harbor. and on the flight deck were a bunch of civilian cars, trucks, and SUVs...anyone know what's up with that?

[SR-_-]
Members
5,021 posts
46,910 battles
35 minutes ago, Ed_the_Baker said:

I was watching a live cam of San Diego harbor the other day, a large CV was sailing out of the harbor. and on the flight deck were a bunch of civilian cars, trucks, and SUVs...anyone know what's up with that?

Probably shooting a commercial. Were they all the same brand? 

The other possibility is a movie shoot. 

[TSG4C]
Members
206 posts
9,324 battles

They do that sometimes when the ship is moved to a different port for a long duration such as drydock repairs.

• Cool 1

[GPORT]
Members
270 posts
15,412 battles

We hauled cars to Pearl from San Dog when we left on westpac....at least with an LST you could drive them on / off np .

Beta Testers
110 posts
3,421 battles
24 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Probably shooting a commercial. Were they all the same brand? 

The other possibility is a movie shoot. 

no, various makes models and years...

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,400 posts
26,840 battles
32 minutes ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

They do that sometimes when the ship is moved to a different port for a long duration such as drydock repairs.

This would be the correct answer. They will transport vehicles and sometimes personal goods of the crew if changing homeports too. 

[SR-_-]
Members
5,021 posts
46,910 battles
35 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

This would be the correct answer. They will transport vehicles and sometimes personal goods of the crew if changing homeports too. 

Ah, never thought of that. I would think some Admiral would want his double wide taken with him. But I guess the housing at a new home port must be sweet. LOL

[SR-_-]
Members
5,021 posts
46,910 battles
53 minutes ago, Gafwmn said:

We hauled cars to Pearl from San Dog when we left on westpac....at least with an LST you could drive them on / off np .

Yeah, having your sweet ride Helo-dropped hard would be a downer(pun intended). 

"Please , easy on my Studleybaker! That car is a classic. It is also a chick repellant and I want my son to drive it." LOL

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,620 posts
4,774 battles
4 hours ago, Ed_the_Baker said:

Most likely going to a forward base like Yokosuka.  The ship's company, air wing, and families move too along with their cars.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,739 posts
53 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Most likely going to a forward base like Yokosuka.  The ship's company, air wing, and families move too along with their cars.

When I was in the Army, families didn't usually follow soldiers during a deployment, unless it was a long-term one to someplace like Germany, where they had to pay their own passage. However, it's interesting that it was official British government policy to ship wives along with married soldiers at government expense during the Peninsular War.

From a Masters Thesis on the subject:

At a conservative estimate, about 1500 British soldiers' wives were transported to Portugal in 1808 at public expense. Various wives of officers and non-commissioned officers who could afford to pay for the passage also followed.

The question always comes up in Star Trek as to why there were so many families aboard the starships, seeing how often they would come under attack, However, if the ships were on a multi-year missions it would stand to reason that their would be.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,708 posts
5,375 battles
7 hours ago, Ed_the_Baker said:

Change of homeport.  I was on the Enterprise when we moved from Bremerton to Alameda. That change of homeport, everyone with a car was allowed to have it moved on the ship.  Some guys with family even rented a U-Haul truck and moved their stuff that way.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,724 posts
13,410 battles
3 minutes ago, Murotsu said:

Change of homeport.  I was on the Enterprise when we moved from Bremerton to Alameda. That change of homeport, everyone with a car was allowed to have it moved on the ship.  Some guys with family even rented a U-Haul truck and moved their stuff that way.

Not a bad idea, certainly safer than having a navy provided contractor move your stuff.

[WORX]
Members
14,359 posts
20,908 battles
7 hours ago, Ed_the_Baker said:

A quick search and I got this...

image.thumb.png.e664e5495c9ddd3b1067fa87c99ce66e.png

This was the KItty Hawk, in Jan of 1983

image.png.7555958960bf116a46d63493b75b99a3.png

This one was the Big E back in FEB of 1982.

Do you know the ship's hull number ???

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,620 posts
4,774 battles

That first pic gives you a good idea of the scale of the thing!

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,739 posts
3 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

You can come pretty close to the picture's date by the types of cars present. I wonder how they get the cars on the ship. Can they be driven onto a lower deck and then brought up onto the top deck via the aircraft elevator? I suppose that it would be no big deal for an elevator to lift a car, as the planes weigh in the vicinity of 30,000 pounds each.

Edited by Snargfargle

[WORX]
Members
14,359 posts
20,908 battles
4 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

You can come pretty close to the picture's date by the types of cars present. I wonder how they get the cars on the ship. Can they be driven onto a lower deck and then brought up onto the top deck via the aircraft elevator? I suppose that it would be no big deal for an elevator to lift a car, as the planes weigh in the vicinity of 30,000 pounds each.

The modern CVs (JFK, Kitty Hawk and Nimitz) classes had 4 elevators. Each can lift two planes and have room for a few support vehicle...  To say these things are massive is an understatement.

A support vehicle (tow cars, mobile fire truck etc.) are about the size of a car. The only restriction I see is tying them down to the deck for transport up to the deck.

In the first pic in the lower right hand corner... That single car is hanging on the elevator... Using him as a guide, I say 9 cars 3 across can fit in a single elevator lift.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,739 posts
2 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

The only restriction I see is tying them down to the deck for transport up to the deck.

Speaking of "tying them down," if you look closely every car is cabled, front and rear, to tie-down points on the deck. There must be hundreds of tie down points available.

[WPORT]
Members
11,632 posts
15,954 battles
10 hours ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

I did not know that.
Thanks for the educational tid-bit of knowledge.

For what it is worth, the LST 393 is currently a Museum Ship.
But after WW-II, part of her career was operating as a car carrier for several years on the Great Lakes.
https://www.lst393.org/history/lst-general.html

[WORX]
Members
14,359 posts
20,908 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Speaking of "tying them down," if you look closely every car is cabled, front and rear, to tie-down points on the deck. There must be hundreds of tie down points available.

Crap tons... The whole upper deck and hanger bays, have these to tie down cargo, planes or cars...

image.thumb.png.581ab3accc65ceb6473fcd5079f1ab2e.png

These are not limited to CVs... Helicopter flat tops have them as well.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
110 posts
3,421 battles
14 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

number 71 on the superstructure

[WORX]
Members
14,359 posts
20,908 battles
11 minutes ago, Ed_the_Baker said:

number 71 on the superstructure

Found the reason... Here you go (Its the Theodor Rosie)

Ironically, this was the same ship in where the Cpt. was fired/demoted for asking his superiors for Covid help to save his crew.

Edited by Navalpride33

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,400 posts
26,840 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Ironically, this was the same ship in where the Cpt. was fired/demoted for asking his superiors for Covid help to save his crew.

Umm he was canned for making that public, not for asking.  Course then there is the matter of panicking when dealing with a virus with a 99%+ survival rate amongst the healthy age group of the people he commanded. The flu has a higher mortality rate than Covid with active duty military.....  

[WORX]
Members
14,359 posts
20,908 battles
15 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Umm he was canned for making that public, not for asking.  Course then there is the matter of panicking when dealing with a virus with a 99%+ survival rate amongst the healthy age group of the people he commanded. The flu has a higher mortality rate than Covid with active duty military.....  

Granted (A little off topic), it was last year and no one on the ship was vaccinated... From the updates I gotten, people are still getting sick but everyone in the service has to be vaxx in order to deploy.

The TR Cpt. is down in San Diego (he gotten the virus as well)..The ol TR skipper is about due for retirement now that he will not get his Star...

He may get it by order means... Just not as active duty or retired...The Cpt. had a good run in active duty, regardless... The must important aspect, his crew respects him...

Those young guys on the TR will have power... I see changes in the future because of that cry for help for his crew by the TR skipper.

Helping your crew by sacrificing your advancement chances and maybe throwing your career... That takes :etc_swear: IMO.

Edited by Navalpride33