You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Burakkuauto

Can we get some submarine aircraft carriers?

8 comments in this topic

Members
44 posts
151 battles
[NOCAP]
Members
2,548 posts
21,062 battles

Only the i400 class can be classified as that if then, 3 floatplanes isnt enough to really be called an "aircraft carrier" more like submarine floatplane tender....

[CYN1C]
[CYN1C]
Members
346 posts
6,730 battles

I imagine it will be like the Tone or Ise, though harder to balance. Maybe if they freeze the countdown while the sub is under water?

[NOCAP]
Members
2,548 posts
21,062 battles
1 hour ago, 40902nd said:

I imagine it will be like the Tone or Ise, though harder to balance. Maybe if they freeze the countdown while the sub is under water?

I highly doubt that will work, 3 plane squadron at t6 is already bad enough. Maybe if they gave them 1 torpedo per plane that does 5k dmg per torp maybe. 

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,726 posts
13,410 battles
2 hours ago, 40902nd said:

Wouldn't be needed, when you launch the planes, you'll be stuck on the surface with your only ship boat controls being autopilot on the mini map until you make your drop, just like any other CV or Hybrid.

That would be more than enough penalty on it's own, as even an I-400 might have the durability of only a tier 4 CV (which would be awesome for a sub), much less a tier 6 or 8 CV where it would be at.

[CYN1C]
[CYN1C]
Members
346 posts
6,730 battles

The issue then becomes the I-400, which will almost certainly be a tier 10, riding the border underwater, only surfacing to launch planes. Keeping them on the surface for 2-3 minutes, even if it isn't continuous, at least exposes them to being spotted by aircraft and makes the submarine captain have to make a choice.

To be honest, I do not know much about the current state of submarine play, as I didn't participate in the Tier 10 testing, but I am leery of combining what might end up being the two most toxic elements of the game without some sort of counter balance. As for what plane she'd carry, WG could just make up another one and call it the Aichi M6A3 Seiran. The actual plane, the Aichi M6A1 Seiran could carry a Type 91 torpedo, mods of which equip every Japanese carrier-borne TB.

It really does depend greatly on which aircraft they select, but all I am doing is advising caution. Test it out.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles

I think it is a bit early to ask for the I-400 as they haven't even figured out sub/surface ship balance.

[CYN1C]
[CYN1C]
Members
346 posts
6,730 battles

Theory crafting is always cool, though.