Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
blackwing9494

recommended mods

34 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

88
[BLUES]
Members
68 posts

I have to admit I'm a diehard Mac, retired unix sysadmin kinda guy. I bought a Windows box (alienware laptop) about 9 months ago so I could play online games with my grandson during covid (he lives across the country). I think my last experience with Windows was Windows 98!

But WOWS is proven to be a lot of fun and inspired me to attempt to tackle adding mods to my WOWS experience.

What mod's do you recommend?

Have you ever hosed your system trying to add mods? I would love to avoid having to learn to debug Windows problems. (putting off the inevitable as long as possible)

Thanks. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
68
[PHU]
Members
172 posts
12,152 battles

Wows have there own mods that you can download off the forums ( I use that), its easy to download and setup no magic required ;) 

However a mod I suggest is the timer, which indicates which team will win in a certain amount of time.:cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21
[MI-BR]
Members
63 posts

I find WoWs with the approved mods works fine on my Windows system. Just an occasional crash, but that happened before I put the mods in. Used to work on macs in prepress, with photoshop, they were great! Windows has come a long way from Windows98, pretty stable and easy to use these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
969
[SPERG]
In AlfaTesters, In AlfaTesters
2,545 posts
13,661 battles

I use Aslain's which are also approved by WOWS. Never hosed my system but sometimes after an update certain things will not work right in the game and takes a few mod updates to get it working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,097
[WORX]
Members
14,296 posts
20,867 battles
20 minutes ago, blackwing9494 said:

I have to admit I'm a diehard Mac, retired unix sysadmin kinda guy. I bought a Windows box (alienware laptop) about 9 months ago so I could play online games with my grandson during covid (he lives across the country). I think my last experience with Windows was Windows 98!

But WOWS is proven to be a lot of fun and inspired me to attempt to tackle adding mods to my WOWS experience.

What mod's do you recommend?

Have you ever hosed your system trying to add mods? I would love to avoid having to learn to debug Windows problems. (putting off the inevitable as long as possible)

Thanks. :-)

Oh wow, a loaded question... Mainly, its like saying how you love your food...They're just so many good items you can use...


Try Aslain's Mod pack... Use the preview feature to see what the mod entails... Aslain does a good job in organizing everything into different categories.. He even warns some mods may corrupt other functions of other mods, so that is where I'd go first ...

Now determining which one to get... That is on you OP... I do recommend Co-op to test everything out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
534
[CHA0S]
Members
444 posts
4,126 battles

As mentioned, Aslain'as Modpack is great.
Personally I use the Battle Clock (in-game real-time clock), Battle Timer (counts down how much time is left in the match), and Side Panel Health Bars (adds health bars to the side info panes).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
274
[_BDA_]
Members
655 posts
10,195 battles
18 minutes ago, crazyeightyfive said:

As mentioned, Aslain'as Modpack is great.
Personally I use the Battle Clock (in-game real-time clock), Battle Timer (counts down how much time is left in the match), and Side Panel Health Bars (adds health bars to the side info panes).

Why?  There's a timer at the upper right corner of the screen and the ship silhouette at the bottom left shows your health.  These mods would seem redundant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
534
[CHA0S]
Members
444 posts
4,126 battles
1 minute ago, michael_zahnle said:

Why?  There's a timer at the upper right corner of the screen and the ship silhouette at the bottom left shows your health.  These mods would seem redundant.

The Battle Timer counts down the time until one team's victory, based on current points and rate of point-gain, letting you judge better if playing defensively or ignoring a fleeing ship is ideal.  The health bars are for friendly and enemy ships.  Here's a pic, not of the exact one I use, but a similar idea:

image.png.ef5e31fb0f0c46c39d932174b925bf55.png

The one I use makes the coloured portion larger than this, but it's the same idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
274
[_BDA_]
Members
655 posts
10,195 battles
3 minutes ago, crazyeightyfive said:

The Battle Timer counts down the time until one team's victory, based on current points and rate of point-gain, letting you judge better if playing defensively or ignoring a fleeing ship is ideal.  The health bars are for friendly and enemy ships.  Here's a pic, not of the exact one I use, but a similar idea:

image.png.ef5e31fb0f0c46c39d932174b925bf55.png

The one I use makes the coloured portion larger than this, but it's the same idea.

I hope that isn't always on the screen... it would seem to block much of your view.  I assume there's a hot key that shows it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,827
[WOLFC]
Members
3,337 posts
12,053 battles
56 minutes ago, blackwing9494 said:

What mod's do you recommend?

I run the official WoWs mod pack available on WG’s website. I haven’t had any issues with any mods: the “problems” you’ll run into is that some mods take a few days to update when a new patch drops, but that’s to be expected.

Some key mods I run that I find very useful (I’m away from my CPU, so I’ll describe them because the names are probably wrong):

1) Nomogram classic crosshair. This is a dynamic crosshair that actually functions properly at all ranges. The vanilla dynamic crosshairs have always been bugged and do not work as advertised.

2) Battle timer (name?). This is a mod that adds a timer next to each of the team scores at the top of the screen that count down how much time before each team wins on points. This is extremely useful for making informed decisions late-game.

3) Secondary armament. Adds a display onscreen that shows the range and status (% of guns remaining) of each of your secondary/AA auras.

4) All ships in tree. This mod places all ships in the game, including all premiums, specials, and test ships, in the tech tree. With this you can look at the parameters and armor of any ship in the game.

There are also some mods I run that add in-port filters for camos and the like that are pretty convenient.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
534
[CHA0S]
Members
444 posts
4,126 battles
3 minutes ago, michael_zahnle said:

I hope that isn't always on the screen... it would seem to block much of your view.  I assume there's a hot key that shows it.

It can be always onscreen, the same as the panels already are, but there's an option to remove dead/sunk players as well.

Here's a better pic, also not mine (note I just use the health bars, not the ship icons beside them):

image.thumb.png.516fd1b7f3c59eedca5d26f4d29161dc.png

Also use (as @Nevermore135 says above) the Expanded Tech Tree mod and the AA and Sec Armament status mods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
271
[WOOKY]
[WOOKY]
Members
683 posts
13,527 battles

I find the traffic lights, indicating ship direction, to be helpful. Not every ship has torps to do that with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,308
[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,223 posts
8,556 battles
30 minutes ago, contag10n said:

I find the traffic lights, indicating ship direction, to be helpful. Not every ship has torps to do that with.

 

Torpedoes do not show if a ship is travelling directly towards you or directly away from you. The player still has to make that determination, unlike this mod which gives instantaneous and completely accurate information on that.

 

This is why I find anyone who uses 'useful' or 'helpful' mods as no different from a hacker. Both seek advantages the regular game client does not provide by altering the game from what others without the mod play with.

 

  • Cool 2
  • Meh 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,459
[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,780 posts
24,954 battles
11 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

 

Torpedoes do not show if a ship is travelling directly towards you or directly away from you. The player still has to make that determination, unlike this mod which gives instantaneous and completely accurate information on that.

 

This is why I find anyone who uses 'useful' or 'helpful' mods as no different from a hacker. Both seek advantages the regular game client does not provide by altering the game from what others without the mod play with.

 

So I am a hacker by using the helpful and useful mod changing Ovechkin's voice from Russian to English so I can understand him?

The traffic light is a more visual representation of watching enemy smoke for direction of movement. That makes it a hack? The same info is available to those who don't use mods, just with a different delivery.

If I use the enhanced torpedo trails to track torpedoes coming my way then is that also a hack? My old, weak eyes have difficulty seeing those faint trails. 

All these mods do is present the available information in a different and often better way. You judge too severely.

Bottom line is if WG approves them they are not a hack.

  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
271
[WOOKY]
[WOOKY]
Members
683 posts
13,527 battles
24 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

 

Torpedoes do not show if a ship is travelling directly towards you or directly away from you. The player still has to make that determination, unlike this mod which gives instantaneous and completely accurate information on that.

 

This is why I find anyone who uses 'useful' or 'helpful' mods as no different from a hacker. Both seek advantages the regular game client does not provide by altering the game from what others without the mod play with.

 

I am happy you can maintain that level of purity in your game. 

Especially since it makes it easier for me to sink your boat.

:cap_like:

If WG approves a mod then all fair to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,308
[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,223 posts
8,556 battles
2 minutes ago, contag10n said:

I am happy you can maintain that level of purity in your game. 

Especially since it makes it easier for me to sink your boat.

:cap_like:

If WG approves a mod then all fair to me.

You make the mistake of assuming I need mods to play the game successfully. That's okay...keep on with that thought.

 

As for how good a judge WG is at knowing what fairness is, all I have to say is 'Yukon'. Enuf said.

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,308
[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,223 posts
8,556 battles
34 minutes ago, Khafni said:

So I am a hacker by using the helpful and useful mod changing Ovechkin's voice from Russian to English so I can understand him?

The traffic light is a more visual representation of watching enemy smoke for direction of movement. That makes it a hack? The same info is available to those who don't use mods, just with a different delivery.

If I use the enhanced torpedo trails to track torpedoes coming my way then is that also a hack? My old, weak eyes have difficulty seeing those faint trails. 

All these mods do is present the available information in a different and often better way. You judge too severely.

Bottom line is if WG approves them they are not a hack.

 

No, the Traffic Light mod is an instantaneous and precisely accurate indicator of a ship's direction of travel at all times, which is not the same as having to watch the smoke of an enemy ship over a protracted period of time at an angle that may not give the information about if that ship is going forwards or backwards.  That info is -not- available to anyone not using that mod, which is why that mod was constructed and is used in the first place.  

 

If you use enhanced torpedo trails to track torpedoes coming at you because you lack the ability that is expected of every other player in this game to use, then by definition you are altering the game to give yourself an advantage over other players without the mod because, as you admit, you don't have the ability to play the game at the same level of another player you are facing.

 

I do not judge too harshly, but there are plenty of hackers who would say I do to cover their own guilt.  I've heard so many times hackers claim 'I only used what other people gave me, so it's not my fault and I didn't do anything wrong'.  The fact remains that if you use a mod to alter your gameplay to gain advantage not offered by the game used by every other player, you are seeking to hack the game.  

 

And as I said, WG's approval means nothing, as they have proved time and again that they are as blind to fairness and how to understand it.  Using a hack from someone who doesn't know right from wrong does not make it any less a hack, nor the person using it any less a hacker.

 

 

  • Cool 1
  • Meh 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
271
[WOOKY]
[WOOKY]
Members
683 posts
13,527 battles
8 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

 

And as I said, WG's approval means nothing, as they have proved time and again that they are as blind to fairness and how to understand it.  Using a hack from someone who doesn't know right from wrong does not make it any less a hack, nor the person using it any less a hacker.

 

 

So I guess you're expecting thanks and praise for being the morality police. 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
739
[PRVTR]
Members
1,147 posts
6,655 battles

I use quite a few modifications in my gameplay, some are for show and some have some good use.

The ones that I use for actual gameplay

  • - Healing Counter ( Determines how much I can heal with a single button, good for timing my heals for maximum recovery )
  • - Nomogram Dynamic Crosshair (a nice improvement over the standard Dynamic Crosshair )
  • - Radar Timer and Gun Bloom Timer ( How long I will be detected by radar or when I'm firing, the former is good to use when there are multiple radar cruisers on the enemy team )
  • - Enhanced Team Display ( Displays Team HP for both teams )
  • - Score Timer (  How long until our team either wins or loses )
  • - Secondary Battery Status Indicator ( How much effectiveness is left in the secondary battery / AA mounts )
  • - Calm Seas / No Fog ( Improves gameplay by making aiming easier against the waterline )

All these modifications are available in the officially sanctioned World of Warships Modpack, which can be downloaded from the World of Warships official Website.

- Potato

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,459
[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,780 posts
24,954 battles
22 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

 

No, the Traffic Light mod is an instantaneous and precisely accurate indicator of a ship's direction of travel at all times, which is not the same as having to watch the smoke of an enemy ship over a protracted period of time at an angle that may not give the information about if that ship is going forwards or backwards.  That info is -not- available to anyone not using that mod, which is why that mod was constructed and is used in the first place.  

 

If you use enhanced torpedo trails to track torpedoes coming at you because you lack the ability that is expected of every other player in this game to use, then by definition you are altering the game to give yourself an advantage over other players without the mod because, as you admit, you don't have the ability to play the game at the same level of another player you are facing.

 

I do not judge too harshly, but there are plenty of hackers who would say I do to cover their own guilt.  I've heard so many times hackers claim 'I only used what other people gave me, so it's not my fault and I didn't do anything wrong'.  The fact remains that if you use a mod to alter your gameplay to gain advantage not offered by the game used by every other player, you are seeking to hack the game.  

 

And as I said, WG's approval means nothing, as they have proved time and again that they are as blind to fairness and how to understand it.  Using a hack from someone who doesn't know right from wrong does not make it any less a hack, nor the person using it any less a hacker.

 

 

Wow! I suppose that the game setting allowing for color blindness correction is also a hack only used by players who "admit" they don't "have the ability to play the game at the same level of another player"? 

Covering guilt? You have to have it to cover it. I don't have any guilt for using game-sanctioned mods. They are part of the game!

Sanctimonious (something), thou art!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
424
[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,626 posts
24,246 battles

Using ModStation, only 2 mods, Nomogram Classic and Scrooge to avoid spending doubloons in vamos or flags

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,030
[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,698 battles
3 hours ago, michael_zahnle said:

Why?  There's a timer at the upper right corner of the screen and the ship silhouette at the bottom left shows your health.  These mods would seem redundant.

He didn't explain it right. The timer at the upper right only tells you how long the match can last, whereas Battle Timer tells you how long it will last, based on the points counter. It can be helpful in order to know if, for example, an enemy with more caps but fewer points, will overtake you before the match timer expires. 

For the other, it tells you what HP all the ships have, (or did have when last spotted anyway) Just lets you check HP on various ships at a glance, instead of having to look at them separately.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,030
[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,698 battles
3 hours ago, michael_zahnle said:

I hope that isn't always on the screen... it would seem to block much of your view.  I assume there's a hot key that shows it.

I use a much simpler one, it has the icons at the top like normal, (I turn side panels off) but each icon has the ship name, and a HP bar underneath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,030
[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,698 battles
42 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

 

No, the Traffic Light mod is an instantaneous and precisely accurate indicator of a ship's direction of travel at all times, which is not the same as having to watch the smoke of an enemy ship over a protracted period of time at an angle that may not give the information about if that ship is going forwards or backwards.  That info is -not- available to anyone not using that mod, which is why that mod was constructed and is used in the first place.  

TBH, it's some weird combination, as I see (usually DDs) go from green to red to green again, turning hard at speed. When ships accelerate from a stop, the light goes from yellow to green and back again, and will go back and forth until it hits a certain speed, and stays solid green.

So AFAIC, it's not as much of a "gimme" as you would think.

42 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:


The fact remains that if you use a mod to alter your gameplay to gain advantage not offered by the game used by every other player, you are seeking to hack the game.  

See, that's not my intent. My intent is to make the gameplay as comfortable as possible, without cheating. If that disadvantages others, who refuse to do it themselves, or or have a playstyle that means that mod gives an unfair advantage, (peek-a-boom/throttle jockey) I'm not concerned. 

42 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

And as I said, WG's approval means nothing, as they have proved time and again that they are as blind to fairness and how to understand it.  Using a hack from someone who doesn't know right from wrong does not make it any less a hack, nor the person using it any less a hacker.

But WG's approval makes it a legal hack, which makes for a subjective morality, as opposed to objective.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,308
[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,223 posts
8,556 battles
59 minutes ago, contag10n said:

So I guess you're expecting thanks and praise for being the morality police. 

 

 

Your guess is as misguided as I would expect.  You really think I expect thanks and praise from a group of hackers for pointing out what they are doing is wrong in a thread where all they want to hear is how they can hack the game better?  If I wanted thanks and praise, I would have joined in with the hackers myself or simply said how these hacks are perfectly acceptable and looked for the up-votes.

 

But then, those who only do things because those things profit themselves can only see others acting the same, and cannot conceive of someone doing something because it's the right thing to do.  

  • Boring 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×